HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CIS Men hockey championship questions

Old
03-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
CIS Men hockey championship questions

With the final taking place on March 25th, 7:00pm on RDS and TSN.

Anybody knows if there's players in there that could potentially be of interest if it's not for the NHL, maybe the AHL????

Anyone following this level of hockey at all? Any names to watch this weekend? Who had success in that level and then joined a professional team and did relatively good?

And how does this work? Out of the 6 teams participating, 3 are from the same division, while some division winners are not even in????Was there some tournament before?

Thanks.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
With the final taking place on March 25th, 7:00pm on RDS and TSN.

Anybody knows if there's players in there that could potentially be of interest if it's not for the NHL, maybe the AHL????

Anyone following this level of hockey at all? Any names to watch this weekend? Who had success in that level and then joined a professional team and did relatively good?

And how does this work? Out of the 6 teams participating, 3 are from the same division, while some division winners are not even in????Was there some tournament before?

Thanks.
All I know is that my Alma Mater, UQTR, is gonna kick some butts!

Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:20 PM
The Don

There wasn't a tournament before.. Here is how it works:
The host gets a spot, the winner of the west gets a spot, the winner of the atlantic gets a spot, and the two finalists of Ont/Que league get a spot (larger league than the other two). Then, there is a final spot that rotates every year throughout the 3 leagues. This year the atlantic has it, that is why there are 3 teams from the AUS (moncton = host).
I only know the Moncton and UNB rosters, and both teams are great to watch. Moncton beat UNB in the AUS finals in double-ot last week. Wouldn't be surprised if they met again in the finals on sunday.

The Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Habber

U of S Huskies are going all the way! Finally beat Alberta in the playoffs to win Canada West. They almost won it two years ago, but Alberta scored with 23s left and then won in OT. Huskies have a better team this time around. They've been there the last two years, and have 6 former WHL captains on their roster.

I think there's been the odd player that's come out of the CIS into the NHL, but for the most part it's made of ex-Junior players that have given up on going pro.

Very good hockey to watch. Skill level is very high, as there are very few fights, so schools typically recruit skilled guys as opposed to crasher/banger/goons.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Souray44

I went to a lot of UPEI Men's Hockey games over the last few years and Joel Ward was the captain the last few years. He's now up and down between the Wild and the Aeros. I just thought i'd brag him up here since he is a recent example.

Souray44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:38 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I tried to get on the Concordia CIS team a few years back but after speaking with the coach I never bothered. The guys are all former junior players and some are even former AHL players, if I recall correctly. They also don't really play my style of game, so I wouldn't really fit in there.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
U of S Huskies are going all the way! Finally beat Alberta in the playoffs to win Canada West. They almost won it two years ago, but Alberta scored with 23s left and then won in OT. Huskies have a better team this time around. They've been there the last two years, and have 6 former WHL captains on their roster.

I think there's been the odd player that's come out of the CIS into the NHL, but for the most part it's made of ex-Junior players that have given up on going pro.

Very good hockey to watch. Skill level is very high, as there are very few fights, so schools typically recruit skilled guys as opposed to crasher/banger/goons.
I went to that Huskies/Golden Bears game two years ago at Rexall Place. Honestly, it was one of the best sporting events that I have been to in my life. I went to the final again last year, and it was more of a dud with the Bears winning quite easily (I can't even tell you who they played).

In terms of the calibre of player in CIS, it really depends on the region. I think the West has some of the top programs, and most of the rosters are composed of guys who were very good WHL players. The reason most of these guys didn't get into pro hockey immediately is because of size more than anything, although some probably wanted to get an education (since the junior leagues pay for it once they graduate from them) before trying their hand at pro hockey. Off the Golden Bears roster, I can think of Dylan Stanley and Ben Kilgour as two players who are very skilled and fast, however are held back because of their size. However, it wouldn't surprise me if they latched onto AHL teams once their university careers were over.

As for whether there will be any prospects at the tournament, it is pretty unlikely. If you watch the program "Making the Cut," many of the guys on that show play in the CIS. So for the most part, they are pretty good players, but are considered "old" as prospects. That's not to say that these guys won't become pro hockey players, its just that to play in the NHL, they really favour players that blossom early. There are few players that have graduated from the CIS and have competed in the NHL. Off the top of my head, Cory Cross and Randy Gregg (played defense for the Oilers in the 1980s) are two notable grads from Alberta who played. Steve Rucchin has probably been the most successful player to have emerged from the CIS in recent memory.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post

Go GREEN and WHITE
Huskies Growl
Dog Barn erupts!!

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Well I'm a media for the competition here in Moncton and I'm gonna watch the games from the media box. I was at the press conferance today and was standing close from Jean Perron. Didn't had the chance to talk to him yet, but I still have 4 days to do so.

Anyways, if there's any players that seems to be way better than the others, I will do a report in this thread.

It's starting tomorrow, but the #1 team, which is Moncton, only start Friday. Should be fun! And the great thing is that we still have the championship for next year!!!

And I think one of Laurier and Moncton will win, but with that kind of offence, Moncton will be damn hard to beat. The Huskies could also be good. And BTW, I was impressed today when the coach told us that 24 of the 25 players of the team are from Saskatchewan...it's quite high!

Last edited by Freaky Habs Fan: 03-21-2007 at 08:50 PM.
Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
And I think one of Laurier and Moncton will win, but with that kind of offence, Moncton will be damn hard to beat. The Golden Bears could also be good. And BTW, I was impressed today when the coach told us that 24 of the 25 players of the team are from Saskatchewan...it's quite high!
I think you are referring to the Huskies. The Alberta Golden Bears actually didn't qualify for the nationals this year. They have won the last 2 national championships, and have been to the nationals the past 11 years. This was their first time out in a long while.

I haven't watched much university hockey this year, but I'll put my wager down on the host team. Traditionally, Western teams don't do well when they have to travel out east, even though they may have the best program.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I think you are referring to the Huskies. The Alberta Golden Bears actually didn't qualify for the nationals this year. They have won the last 2 national championships, and have been to the nationals the past 11 years. This was their first time out in a long while.

I haven't watched much university hockey this year, but I'll put my wager down on the host team. Traditionally, Western teams don't do well when they have to travel out east, even though they may have the best program.
Yup, my mistake, but I guess it's quite a shock that the Golden Bears aren't here. I heard that they already had their place at the hotel, but didn't win their division so...they will have to stay in Alberta

And I'm going to check for scouts...we never know, maybe I'll found a Habs scout...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote