HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The energy level on this team

Old
03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
dave4

vCash: 500
The energy level on this team

is sky high right now. I credit a few factors. The acquisition of Avery was the shot in the arm the team needed, as a number of players have picked up their level of play since Avery came in and started working hard from his very first shift.

Matt Cullen immediately comes to mind, he's now playing like he did in Carolina, which we thought we'd see the whole season. Pretty much everyone is playing with new drive and enthusiasm. It's nice that Ortmeyer and Shanahan are no long the only players giving max effort. It's been contagious, and everyone is doing it.

Well, nearly everyone. I don't want to kick a man while he's up, but to me Malik has been the one player who hasn't raised his game recently. He just looks like he's not hustling, like he doesn't have the same sense of urgency as the rest of the team. I know what the numbers say, I'm just going by what I see.

Another factor has been bringing up the kids. You can argue whether Renney would have given the kids a look if the injuries hadn't hit, but the proof is in the pudding and on the ice. The kids are hustling, and I think that's also been infectious.

Gotta credit Renney too. I bashed him when I thought the team wasn't hustling, so I gotta give him props when they are working hard.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I can feel it from here

03-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
is sky high right now. I credit a few factors. The acquisition of Avery was the shot in the arm the team needed, as a number of players have picked up their level of play since Avery came in and started working hard from his very first shift.

Matt Cullen immediately comes to mind, he's now playing like he did in Carolina, which we thought we'd see the whole season. Pretty much everyone is playing with new drive and enthusiasm. It's nice that Ortmeyer and Shanahan are no long the only players giving max effort. It's been contagious, and everyone is doing it.

Well, nearly everyone. I don't want to kick a man while he's up, but to me Malik has been the one player who hasn't raised his game recently. He just looks like he's not hustling, like he doesn't have the same sense of urgency as the rest of the team. I know what the numbers say, I'm just going by what I see.

Another factor has been bringing up the kids. You can argue whether Renney would have given the kids a look if the injuries hadn't hit, but the proof is in the pudding and on the ice. The kids are hustling, and I think that's also been infectious.

Gotta credit Renney too. I bashed him when I thought the team wasn't hustling, so I gotta give him props when they are working hard.
Face it, some of you just don't 'get' a player like Malik. You have unreal expectations, and if you know the game of hockey you can see that some players will always look like they're not moving, but that doesn't mean their not effective. This holds true for more than just hockey.

Btw, Mondays game - Crosby -2, Malik +2(and +2 last night as well

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:20 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Face it, some of you just don't 'get' a player like Malik. You have unreal expectations, and if you know the game of hockey you can see that some players will always look like they're not moving, but that doesn't mean their not effective. This holds true for more than just hockey.

Btw, Mondays game - Crosby -2, Malik +2(and +2 last night as well
Well this wasn't meant to be a Malik bashing thread...there have been plenty of those. But since that's what you focused on, it doesn't change my opinion that basically the entire team is playing at a much higher energy level than Malik.

He's turned the puck over in his own zone way too often for my liking, even as the entire team has been playing so well recently. And, most importantly, he doesn't play hard or skate hard. Thankfully the rest of the team does.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Onion Boy

To be honest, I don't want to see a high energy game from Malik. His game is calm and quiet from the back end. The minute he starts running around trying to make plays is when we get in trouble. I already cringe everytime he pinches from the point (which he's been doing alot of lately).

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Well this wasn't meant to be a Malik bashing thread...there have been plenty of those. But since that's what you focused on, it doesn't change my opinion that basically the entire team is playing at a much higher energy level than Malik.

He's turned the puck over in his own zone way too often for my liking, even as the entire team has been playing so well recently. And, most importantly, he doesn't play hard or skate hard. Thankfully the rest of the team does.
I guess you didnt read what i wrote or just don't understand. How the do you know what his passion level is at? Skate hard? He's ALWAYS skated like this, whats is so hard for you to comprehend?

Old
03-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Jackson Ranger

I think it's been some of the things talked about; the acquisition of Avery, the return of Ortmeyer, the youthfulness of the kids and one other thing. The solid play of the fourth line. Now I wouldn't say it is better than the HMO line last year but all of these guys have been doing their job well and the fact they are eating up some minutes makes the other guys a little fresher in the game which gives the team more energy.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
To be honest, I don't want to see a high energy game from Malik. His game is calm and quiet from the back end. The minute he starts running around trying to make plays is when we get in trouble. I already cringe everytime he pinches from the point (which he's been doing alot of lately).
Calm and quiet, good job, thats exactly what I was looking to say.

He rushed the puck maybe 3 times over the last two weeks(on one he scored!). If you watch, Roszileetch has done it more often and created more odd man rushes, but no one bashes him.

I didn't mean to start a Malik rant, just can't understand why you guys compare all these players the same when they're obviously not.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
dave4

Quote:
I guess you didnt read what i wrote or just don't understand. How the do you know what his passion level is at? Skate hard? He's ALWAYS skated like this, whats is so hard for you to comprehend?
Judging from your tone you obviously want to argue about this, but I don't. I didn't talk about his passion level at all. Maybe he is passionate but it just doesn't manifest itself into skating hard, I don't know.

I believe when you say he's always skated like this, but I'd like to see him hustle and not glide back into play when he's caught up ice. He can make some excellent tape to tape passes in his own zone, I didn't say he sucks or anything, but I would like to see him play with more determination.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Judging from your tone you obviously want to argue about this, but I don't. I didn't talk about his passion level at all. Maybe he is passionate but it just doesn't manifest itself into skating hard, I don't know.

I believe when you say he's always skated like this, but I'd like to see him hustle and not glide back into play when he's caught up ice. He can make some excellent tape to tape passes in his own zone, I didn't say he sucks or anything, but I would like to see him play with more determination.
When you're 6'6 your legs don't 'hustle' like they would on a Ryan Callahan. Just try thinking about how these players are not all the same. The guy is a giraffe...but an effective one

Old
03-22-2007, 12:51 PM
dave4

Quote:
When you're 6'6 your legs don't 'hustle' like they would on a Ryan Callahan. Just try thinking about how these players are not all the same. The guy is a giraffe...but an effective one
I guess we'll just agree to disagree...I don't like Malik, but it's all good as long as we keep winning.

Old
03-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I guess we'll just agree to disagree...I don't like Malik, but it's all good as long as we keep winning.
Cool. He's not my first pick either, he logs too many minutes for a D-man of his caliber, but I wouldnt say he's our worse D-man or that he doesn't work hard.

Old
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
dave4

OK back on track now....I love the energy level of this team!

Old
03-22-2007, 04:19 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I'm sure the 4th line playing almost 10 minutes a night and starting every game has alot to do with it

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote