HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Cody Franson

Old
03-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Hockey Hooligan

vCash: 500
Cody Franson

This guy looks like a monster- offensive-minded defenseman. He's rated high on every list I have seen. Where does he fit into the Pred D-unit next year? Is he likely to make the team next year? What is his career point potential?

Hockey Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:22 PM
mikethompson

Send a message via MSN to mikethompson
3 years season ticket holder to the Giants so I am probably give a good description of Cody for you. Cody will either play with the Admirals or the Giants one more year, the Preds D is super tough to crack. Anyways Cody is very offensive minded he is 6th in WHL defencman scoring with 51 points but out of all the guys ahead of him he has the most PIM's which can be a good thing. Cody has become more aggressive over the years, like in the line brawl against Kamloops he got into it with a Blazer and held his own, and he rarely takes holding, tripping, or any of those kind of penalties instead he gets roughing, checking from behind, and boarding. Franson upside is his patrol of the blueline on the PP. He cant snap the puck like no other in the W and a PP he shots the puck instead of dippsy doodling around like most players are guilty of. He also has tremendous speed and quickness especially for a bigger guy, he can skate down the ice from behind his own net and puck one top corner at the other end of the ice. Also he can read the play very well, he is a genius out there he can read a trap or a "blitz" and passes the puck harder, faster, and more accurate then any D-man in the entire CHL. Not to mention I beleive Cody had a hattrick in the Memorial Cup and in the World Juniors he scored once from one of his lethal wrist shots. So Cody will be with the Preds in two years and could be with the Admirals next year. Hope this helped you is some way.

mikethompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Hockey Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethompson View Post
3 years season ticket holder to the Giants so I am probably give a good description of Cody for you. Cody will either play with the Admirals or the Giants one more year, the Preds D is super tough to crack. Anyways Cody is very offensive minded he is 6th in WHL defencman scoring with 51 points but out of all the guys ahead of him he has the most PIM's which can be a good thing. Cody has become more aggressive over the years, like in the line brawl against Kamloops he got into it with a Blazer and held his own, and he rarely takes holding, tripping, or any of those kind of penalties instead he gets roughing, checking from behind, and boarding. Franson upside is his patrol of the blueline on the PP. He cant snap the puck like no other in the W and a PP he shots the puck instead of dippsy doodling around like most players are guilty of. He also has tremendous speed and quickness especially for a bigger guy, he can skate down the ice from behind his own net and puck one top corner at the other end of the ice. Also he can read the play very well, he is a genius out there he can read a trap or a "blitz" and passes the puck harder, faster, and more accurate then any D-man in the entire CHL. Not to mention I beleive Cody had a hattrick in the Memorial Cup and in the World Juniors he scored once from one of his lethal wrist shots. So Cody will be with the Preds in two years and could be with the Admirals next year. Hope this helped you is some way.
Wow-that was very helpful. Thanks! Who would you say he reminds you of that is in the NHL now?

Hockey Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:03 PM
mikethompson

From the preds I would say a Kimmo Timonem, but the whole league, I would say a Scott Neidermayer, can play the tough game, shoots and passes the puck like no other.

Old
03-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Greg7

Quote:
From the preds I would say a Kimmo Timonem, but the whole league, I would say a Scott Neidermayer, can play the tough game, shoots and passes the puck like no other.
I don't like the Niedermayer comparison at all. Franson has good mobility for a big guy, but he still needs to add plenty of leg strength and improve his acceleration and speed backwards. Certainly his skating is not a strength, and is not even remotely close to Niedermayer's, which might be the best in the world. Franson's biggest strength is his puck moving. His first pass is absolutely elite: crisp, on the tape, intelligent, he is capable of stretching it out or making the simple play, and most importantly to me always timely. He won't leave your forwards waiting and he won't miss anyone. He also moves the puck and shoots the puck well in the offensive zone, and has good offensive instincts.

His defensive work is not bad but it needs a lot of work. At times he can look dominant in all zones and control games, but he lacks consistency in his own end. He is guilty of occasionally becoming a little complacent, and can get caught running around. For a guy his size it would be nice if he was a whole lot more physical, but that probably will never be his game. He uses his reach fairly well though, and generally does a good job breaking up the rush. Also, outlet passing is an underrated part of defensive hockey imo. If you can do a good job of quickly retrieving the puck and turning the play around and getting out of your zone, it helps your ability to shut down the opposition immensely. That is probably Franson's greatest defensive attribute.

Unless something extraordinary happens, he will be in Milwaukee next year learning to adjust to the higher speed and greater strength of pro hockey. Inside of two years of AHL hockey he should be ready to compete for an NHL spot somewhere, although maybe not in Nashville.

Greg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
mikethompson

how can u say his skating is not good, he slices through the WHL players like freaking warm butter. Franson dominats the WHL and like Gilbert last year there isnt much more Franson can learn from staying down here.

Old
03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
teddygmr

Great Comments, Mike Thompson, thanks!
Could you please comment on his teammate Milan Lucic, who I understand was awarded the team MVP award?
Thanks in advance!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 03:32 PM
mikethompson

heer i will give u a link from a post i made on hockeyfights.com about Milanhttp://hockeyfights.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67675
If u want I can also post some of his fights from this year.

Old
03-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Big Daddy

Ya, I thought the comparison to Neidermeyer was a little off also. When going forward he does have the skating and stickhandling skills to maybe make the comparison. His release and accuracy with his shot are top notch. As is his passing.

The problem I see is his open ice one on one coverage, I've seen tour busses with a tighter turning radius. He does get caught scrambling around a bit and just recently the defensive pairing were switched to address the problem.

That said, he should be gone next year in the AHL.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Greg7

Quote:
how can u say his skating is not good, he slices through the WHL players like freaking warm butter. Franson dominats the WHL and like Gilbert last year there isnt much more Franson can learn from staying down here.
Franson does not dominate anywhere near like Brule did last year. Brule was the best player in the CHL last season, and tore the league apart. Franson is among the top players in the league, but can hardly be considered dominant.

I did not say his skating was bad, just not that great. He's pretty good forward - although he certainly does not "slice through WHL players like freaking warm butter" - and only average backward. His agility is okay, but needs to be better at the next level, and he loses a lot of speed when he pivots if a forward catches him napping and starts to gain position on him wide, which can make him prone to being beat wide if his gap is too tight early. His skating is okay, and that's it. You want to see an elite skater that you can compare to Niedermayer (for skating only)? How about Franson's defensive partner. Mikkelson might be the best skating defenseman in the WHL, especially backwards.

Greg7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:52 AM
orcatown

i've watched Fransen plenty this year and agree with Greg. The comparison to Neidermeyer is way over broad. Fransen is and excellent passer and has good vision. He plays a good containment game in his own end. But his skating is not that great. Not that agile and acceleration by NHL standards is no better than ok. I would not call him a dynamic player.

Fransen should develop into a good solid middle of the pack pro. Probably a player who is 4 or 5 on your depth chart.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:44 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
i've watched Fransen plenty this year and agree with Greg. The comparison to Neidermeyer is way over broad. Fransen is and excellent passer and has good vision. He plays a good containment game in his own end. But his skating is not that great. Not that agile and acceleration by NHL standards is no better than ok. I would not call him a dynamic player.

Fransen should develop into a good solid middle of the pack pro. Probably a player who is 4 or 5 on your depth chart.
While calling him the next Niedermayer is a little overboard calling him a 4 or 5 on a teams depth chart is absolutely selling him short........he has every bit the look of a future top pairing dman who can run the PP and play in all situations. His skating is very good forward and not quite as good backwards, but it isn't bad backwards either........He has a good snap shot, good wrist shot, solid slap shot........I wouldnt say he has an absolute cannon from the point but he tends to be able to get it through.

As for next season its tough to say what happens with him, I am betting that 1 or 2 of the big dmen in nashville is gone due to free agency and he will have a "chance" at making the team..........however he likely ends up playing in the AHL for a year first..........he will not likely end up back in Vancouver as he has nothing left to prove there and has learned what he can from the dub.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:53 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know, 4 or 5 sounds good to me.

Weber-Hamhuis-Suter-Franson

Looks like a solid 4 in the future.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:23 AM
CapGoodie

Deserves all the praise he gets here and more, but the Neidermeyer comparison is a little iffy. He's more of a stand-up puck mover with his head up reading and dissecting the play as he pushes it up the ice. He's not someone who puts his head down and realizes he can skate the thing wide down the wing around everyone....not that he isn't a great skater but he's NOT someone who simply beats people on the rush by outskating everyone.

He moves the puck out more like Chris Pronger than Scot Neidermeyer - heads always up, ready to re-group at a sconds notice, tends to slow up to take more of point man position after making a terrific neutral zone pass etc rather than rushing end to end.

For comparison sake - I think someone like Brewer or even Kim Johnsson is a lot more accurate. If you added a little more sandpaper to the game BRewer or Johnsson play you'd get a much better picture of Franson than making comparisions to Neidermeyer IMO.

BTW, one of my favorite prospects around and I see him as being a top 2 guy eventually.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Russian_fanatic

Ready for a shocker? I say Franson becomes a top defenseman in his prime. I love the way he plays. Tough to make a valid comparision, because really he does dominate the game. He is a special player.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote