HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Fridge

Old
03-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The Fridge

You guys were pretty cool in your GDT about wishing him (relatively) well and that was classy.

That is all.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:23 AM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
You guys were pretty cool in your GDT about wishing him (relatively) well and that was classy.

That is all.
At the garden today I was cheering and clapping for his safe return from being knocked out. The garden showed some respect today I will tell you that. To be honest, we were all laughing until we found out how serious and dangerous the fight really was.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Valhoun*

Obviously it was a totally fair fight... but I always want the opponent to get put in physical pain. Not hurt. Ya know?

Old
03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Fridge

Hope he gets well soon. I jumped out of my seat when Colton hit him, but when I realized he was out i immediately changed my tune. Fridge was always an honest enforcer, and he was damn good at it too. I hope the guy makes a full recovery. Never want to see a warrior like him go out that way.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
schmieder44

Yea that was a bit sobering..... I always like a good KO but nothing serious where the guy really gets hurt. Although maybe Janssens would be OK. (Just Kidding)

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:07 AM
ogie

unfortunately this fight we be fodder for all the people in the league that would like to see fighting go the way of the Dodo. Eventually in the next few years I think there will be a major push to ban fighting for good.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
unfortunately this fight we be fodder for all the people in the league that would like to see fighting go the way of the Dodo. Eventually in the next few years I think there will be a major push to ban fighting for good.
I don't think the NHL will make the major push to do away with fighting. I think they will try to contain as much as possible, but to have GM's actually duiscuss the possibility of altering the instigator penalty at thier meeting this year tells me that there are still quitea few pro-fight lobbyists in the NHL that will always want to see it a part of the game. Plus for the NHL which is trying to make a comeback, why would they ever want to do away with a part of the game that according to surveys an overwhelming portion of the banbase absolutly want to stay a part of the game...and even want more of it than what the current product allows?

Old
03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

After he threw that punch, it almost looked like Orr was clutching Fedoruk's jersey and held on till Fedoruk's back touched the ice surface. As if he was making sure Fedoruk didn't smash the back of his head on the ice.

Anyone else see that? Or am I wrong here?

If Orr was doing that, you have to give him credit. That was a good thing to do. Good sportsmanship.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 10:50 AM
RegalRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
After he threw that punch, it almost looked like Orr was clutching Fedoruk's jersey and held on till Fedoruk's back touched the ice surface. As if he was making sure Fedoruk didn't smash the back of his head on the ice.

Anyone else see that? Or am I wrong here?

If Orr was doing that, you have to give him credit. That was a good thing to do. Good sportsmanship.
He definitely was holding the jersey. You can see that here...

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Merlin401

Quote:

That is all.
Respect for a fighter who is both respected and respectful. Fridge's job is to play hard and mean, and we've seen that, but he's a classy guy and a good guy too. He's probably good enough to play in the NHL even if he didn't fight (which is good because he might not be able to anymore). Sometimes when someone is laying motionless on the ice you think "Well, thats sad but he did have it coming" [think Ulf], but that is not true with Fedoruk. Best wishes in his recovery.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Someone will get killed or paralyzed. Then the old school guys will really have no say in the matter.

I hope Fedoruk has a full recovery.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Valhoun*

The chances of really hurting someone in a fair hockey fight were both people are standing on ice and having to clutch each other's jersey is extremely small.

Take out fighting and you are left with sucker punches, slashing, and purposeful highsticking... all of which can kill someone or end their career.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
The chances of really hurting someone in a fair hockey fight were both people are standing on ice and having to clutch each other's jersey is extremely small.

Take out fighting and you are left with sucker punches, slashing, and purposeful highsticking... all of which can kill someone or end their career.
Thats a myth. Stickswinging won't happen above the belt if the fines and penalties are severe. Like yearly suspensions for what Chris Simon did, thats a start.

I don't think thats too harsh, some guys will end up being the examples of what not to do and the rest of the league will follow suit. Change either way will take awhile, always does.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
schmieder44

I would think your more likey to get killed or paralyzed from a hit from behind or an open ice check than a fight. Not only based on the type of hit being given but also the frequency of the above mentioned.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:45 PM
lotus

holy crap on mike and the mad dog. do i hate these guys. oh my. i really want to call in and just tell them to stick to what they know and leave hockey alone. They're not helping.

Long story short they're talking crap about the rangers for banging their sticks on the board after the fight. Well no crap, they didn't know how serious it was all the way on the other side. Just as the fans cheered Orr after the fight. When he didn't move everyone got concerned.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:48 PM
StuDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Thats a myth. Stickswinging won't happen above the belt if the fines and penalties are severe. Like yearly suspensions for what Chris Simon did, thats a start.

I don't think thats too harsh, some guys will end up being the examples of what not to do and the rest of the league will follow suit. Change either way will take awhile, always does.
Nah, it will always be there. You can ban someone for life, but someone will snap regardless. It's human nature, or else our prisons would be empty and no one would be on death row. Just my opinion though.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmieder44 View Post
I would think your more likey to get killed or paralyzed from a hit from behind or an open ice check than a fight. Not only based on the type of hit being given but also the frequency of the above mentioned.
Fighting is a violent act which leads to other violent acts. More directly, it leads to players losing that respect for one another on the ice.

Old
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Fighting if anything gains respect

Quote:
Fighting is a violent act which leads to other violent acts. More directly, it leads to players losing that respect for one another on the ice.

How does it lead to players losing respect? If anything it gains respect from players and coaches.

Old
03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
How does it lead to players losing respect? If anything it gains respect from players and coaches.
I just think the violent aspect can lead to something far worse.

Old
03-22-2007, 01:01 PM
mattyd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
holy crap on mike and the mad dog. do i hate these guys. oh my. i really want to call in and just tell them to stick to what they know and leave hockey alone. They're not helping.

Long story short they're talking crap about the rangers for banging their sticks on the board after the fight. Well no crap, they didn't know how serious it was all the way on the other side. Just as the fans cheered Orr after the fight. When he didn't move everyone got concerned.
They banged their sticks on the boards as Fedoruk was being taken off. Who cares what those idiots have to say man, hockey is always going to get a bad rep in the media so screw it. I'd rather have it be that way, the media turns sports like baseball and football into a giant circus and it's ridiculous.

mattyd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
Nah, it will always be there. You can ban someone for life, but someone will snap regardless. It's human nature, or else our prisons would be empty and no one would be on death row. Just my opinion though.
You lost me on that prison analogy...?

Its a sport, if you lose one life through a violent act, you will see major repercussions.

Old
03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
SPG

Quote:

It's not a myth. If it weren't for fighting being a part of the game, guys like Jagr, Crosby, etc. would be more at risk.

Bertuzzi, McSorely, Dale Hunter, etc... incidents that brought on huge fines/suspensions have happened before. It didn't stop Simon.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
AGraveOne

Send a message via Yahoo to AGraveOne
Quote:
such a naive view. the pacifist hockey fan.

i understand, that hit last night and the way Fedoruk's body was lifeless-like was pretty hard to watch...but rules do not increase respect between people who want the same thing if that thing is SCARCE. AND there are limited spaces on teams so some are willing to do anything for a spot...including hits and such that might injure the other teams' players. Rules are not going to eliminate that sort of danger as well as allowing teams to protect their own.

AGraveOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGraveOne View Post
such a naive view. the pacifist hockey fan.

i understand, that hit last night and the way Fedoruk's body was lifeless-like was pretty hard to watch...but rules do not increase respect between people who want the same thing if that thing is SCARCE. AND there are limited spaces on teams so some are willing to do anything for a spot...including hits and such that might injure the other teams' players. Rules are not going to eliminate that sort of danger as well as allowing teams to protect their own.
It is effective, it just takes time, like pretty much everything else. There are no quick fixes.

Old
03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Bluesnote do you not like hard checks either? You must have hated Scott Stevens? Hockey is a game played by men and contect is made injuries happen. Fightig is a way for the game to be policed and for every Orr knock out there is 2500 non eventful fights. Please don't make this a ban fighting thread. If Orr would have gotten knocked out no one on here would have a thing to say other then cut orr. You need to see hockey as a contact sport where fights happen or try ping pong. The NBA/MLB and others have fights to does anyone remember Dave Stewart jump kicking Pat Corlaes SP? and knocking him out cold? That was a trained karate fighter using his skills to inflict serious harm. Getting knocked out happens no one likes it no one wishes it on people just happens deal

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote