HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Fridge

Old
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Bluesnote do you not like hard checks either? You must have hated Scott Stevens? Hockey is a game played by men and contect is made injuries happen. Fightig is a way for the game to be policed and for every Orr knock out there is 2500 non eventful fights. Please don't make this a ban fighting thread. If Orr would have gotten knocked out no one on here would have a thing to say other then cut orr. You need to see hockey as a contact sport where fights happen or try ping pong. The NBA/MLB and others have fights to does anyone remember Dave Stewart jump kicking Pat Corlaes SP? and knocking him out cold? That was a trained karate fighter using his skills to inflict serious harm. Getting knocked out happens no one likes it no one wishes it on people just happens deal
I've told you countless times, its the linebacker hitting that i don't think is necessary. The game should be about the puck and skill, hitting included when I say skill cause that is a skill, i've never thought otherwise. Its those hits that guys like Stevens have used when they know a player is prone to serious injury but still freight train them. Thats a lack of respect, it has nothing to do with 'doing his job'.

If you've ever played the game you realize theres a point at which you know when you can blast an unsuspecting guy, or just effectively body check him off the puck or off the play. Players these days are taking it to extremes and we've seen head injuries progress at a higher rate than ever before.

As for the fighting, I've always appreciated and seen a place for it in the game, but lately, its evolved into something different.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
kovalev27hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The chances of really hurting someone in a fair hockey fight were both people are standing on ice and having to clutch each other's jersey is extremely small.

Take out fighting and you are left with sucker punches, slashing, and purposeful highsticking... all of which can kill someone or end their career.
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT AND THAT SHOULD BE THE DEFINITIVE RESPONSE TO THE MATTER

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 01:49 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I've told you countless times, its the linebacker hitting that i don't think is necessary. The game should be about the puck and skill, hitting included when I say skill cause that is a skill, i've never thought otherwise. Its those hits that guys like Stevens have used when they know a player is prone to serious injury but still freight train them. Thats a lack of respect, it has nothing to do with 'doing his job'.

If you've ever played the game you realize theres a point at which you know when you can blast an unsuspecting guy, or just effectively body check him off the puck or off the play. Players these days are taking it to extremes and we've seen head injuries progress at a higher rate than ever before.

As for the fighting, I've always appreciated and seen a place for it in the game, but lately, its evolved into something different.
In my opinion without fighting there would be more guys like Scott Stevens who will hit anyone in any position because there are no consequences. And when a fight would start because of a questionable hit, that would be erased, without fighting revenge isnt coming with dropped gloves but its coming with more headhunting, dirty hits and running star players. There will always be dirty players, but with fighting it gets rid of a few players who play that way. Jagr has gone untouched since that last game against Philly and that is because Orr is in the lineup and we are an overall tougher team.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Fighting in the game

Wow... i have heard people take a stance against fighting in the game of hockey, but never have I heard people take a stance on hitting in the game of hockey! Maybe we should just turn the game into a constant all-star break. I mean with the excellent ratings, and half-empty building they had this season at the all-star game. I guess it's good to see that not too many others share your stance on the game.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Wow... i have heard people take a stance against fighting in the game of hockey, but never have I heard people take a stance on hitting in the game of hockey! Maybe we should just turn the game into a constant all-star break. I mean with the excellent ratings, and half-empty building they had this season at the all-star game. I guess it's good to see that not too many others share your stance on the game.
If you're referring to me, read my post about hitting again, or just read it out loud so someone who's close can interpret.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:22 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
holy crap on mike and the mad dog. do i hate these guys. oh my. i really want to call in and just tell them to stick to what they know and leave hockey alone. They're not helping.

Long story short they're talking crap about the rangers for banging their sticks on the board after the fight. Well no crap, they didn't know how serious it was all the way on the other side. Just as the fans cheered Orr after the fight. When he didn't move everyone got concerned.
They really are stupid.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:24 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Fighting and hitting will always have a place in the game. Let me just get that out of the way.
Secondly, I'd like to wish Todd a full recovery.
Thirdly, I must say...I don't think the Fridge will ever be the Fridge again. I think he'll have to adjust his game and just turn into a good checking winger. I just can't see him getting into another fight after this....

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:24 PM
cringer

I hope Fedoruk is OK and I hope he has the sense to get out while he's ahead. Don't want to see the man suffer permanent damage.

But all this about how's he's "honest" and "classy" has me ready to gag.

It was just last year that Fedoruk took a flying leap through the air to nearly take Petr Nedved's head off in a blind side attack. Then he had the gall to go bragging about it to the media after the game. Real tough guys do NOT go blind side head-hunting on the likes of Petr Nedved, sorry.

And even if they did - to go spouting off to the press after the fact automatically kills any credibility they might have had. He even rubbed it in Nedved's face through the media. Real man he is.

Get well soon Todd...... then go back to being the low llife piece of crap like you are.

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
They really are stupid.
Mike and the Mad Dog are actually idiots. If you want to hear actual hockey conversation, turn on 1050 right now..Don Lagreca just went on a rant about how the Knicks don't deserve the back page and people should start talking about the Rangers...and he's a Devils fan.

I was definitely cheering when Orr KO'd Fedoruk but then when I saw he was still down I stopped. I can tell you that the entire arena applauded when he was taken off the ice.

I hope that he recovers (it sounds like he will) but at the same time..honestly, should he be fighting? He already has the metal plates in his head and he already was knocked out badly once this season before last night....I understand he has pride and I can't respect that enough...but for the guy's health, I think he needs to think about stopping fighting.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote