HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville?

Old
06-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Filip Forceberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Winnipeg doesn't have anyone close to Weber's talent level though. It's hardly a tragedy if they miss it.
Most teams don't, obviously. He's the best defenseman in the league. Missing the playoffs by 3 points after losing your world class goaltender for 50+ games is no cause for concern, in my eyes.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpens View Post
i think Shea Weber to pittsburgh for Kris Letang and a pick or prospect..... i think it works for both teams...
How does it work for both teams? Please do tell.

Old
06-06-2014, 01:46 PM
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Seeing Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith and Ryan McDonagh(to a lesser extent) all doing so well in playoffs, is Shea Weber just wasting his talents in Nashville? They rarely make the playoffs and the top players prove their worth in the playoffs. I want to see Shea Weber in the playoffs every year to see what he can do? Shea Weber on a team like the Penguins would be killer. How do you guys think Shea Weber would do in the playoffs if he was on a team that made the playoffs every year?
Lol Wut?

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
Win it for Ed

No...., he'd be wasting his talents if he slacked off and started gaining massive weight. I don't see how being the best defenseman in the league and leading your team as captain can be a waste. Unless it's considered a waste of a career if you don't win the cup, since he's made the playoffs more than missed it in his career if I recall.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah

Quote:
I would like to see Shea Weber in Pittsburgh for Kris Letang and a prospect or draft pick....
By Letang, you meant Crosby/Malkin, right ???

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Johnpens

Kris Letang and a pick or prospect for Shea Weber... ???

What do you think?

Pittsburgh could use a presence and defensive force/Nashvile gets a younger, quick skating, gifted offensive defenseman... to run the power play..

Johnpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
By Letang, you meant Crosby/Malkin, right ???
No Letang plus a good prospect for Shea Weber... LOL

Old
06-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Norm MacDonald

Excluding the fact Nashville is in the sunbelt and whatever implications people draw about their attendance/fandom, it's pretty damn hard to compete in this league on a strict internal budget. If I were Weber, I'd demand they forgo revenue sharing incentives and spend up to the cap, because the roster just isn't good enough to win the cup and likely won't be any time soon.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Wrath

Letang is one year younger, questionable health now after his stroke of all things.

Weber is gifted on the powerplay (Letang prob better, but still...)

If Nashville trades Weber for Letang they're going into rebuild mode.

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
How does it work for both teams? Please do tell.
Kris Letang is younger player and $3 million dollars cheaper and if you include a good prospect say Dumolin /or Pouliot Nashvile gets younger and better/and saves cash... Pittsburgh gets the defensive force it needs to help Crosby and Malkin get over the top.

- both log 25 minutes a game doesn't sound like a win win to you.

- Nashville has ben rumored for a whilt to unload his contract the flyers tried desperatley to get him...

Old
06-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
Letang is one year younger, questionable health now after his stroke of all things.

Weber is gifted on the powerplay (Letang prob better, but still...)

If Nashville trades Weber for Letang they're going into rebuild mode.
I kind of think after losing their long time coach plus their play the last couple years they are already in rebuild mode.

Old
06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
I kind of think after losing their long time coach plus their play the last couple years they are already in rebuild mode.
I thought Weber was 30..... he is wasting away in Nashville.....

Old
06-06-2014, 02:07 PM
TheCLAM

Quote:
Nashville IS a team that consistently makes the playoffs. No, they didn't last year and missed the cut by 3 points this year. They'll be back in the playoffs soon enough.

Nashville has only missed the playoffs THREE times in their last ten seasons. I'd worry about your Jets if I were you.
The problem is Nashville is a small-market NHL team, with a new hockey history, sub-par fan culture and an internal cap. Nashville isn't a place where many player want to go to "win" a Stanley Cup. The organization itself is extremely professional, and shows strengths in it's drafting/management.

However, while their defense is strong and the goaltending is good, the forward-core is very sub-par. Nashville needs to make a splash upfront and acquire some high talent player.

If they can't do this in the next 2-4 years it will be a waste for Weber. These are the prime years of his career and the Predators need to realize that.

TheCLAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
I thought Weber was 30..... he is wasting away in Nashville.....
Plus Kris Letang is locked up for 6 years at $ 7.25 million where Shea Webers salary is $ 10 million a year... a budgeted team like Nasville could use that $ 3 million...

Old
06-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Seeing Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith and Ryan McDonagh(to a lesser extent) all doing so well in playoffs, is Shea Weber just wasting his talents in Nashville? They rarely make the playoffs and the top players prove their worth in the playoffs. I want to see Shea Weber in the playoffs every year to see what he can do? Shea Weber on a team like the Penguins would be killer. How do you guys think Shea Weber would do in the playoffs if he was on a team that made the playoffs every year?
Just to drive the point home:

In the past 10 seasons, the Nashville Predators have made the playoffs more than the:

Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
New York Islanders
Phoenix Coyotes
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

They have made the playoffs as many times as the:

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
Vancouver Canucks

There are only FIVE teams who have made the playoffs more than the Nashville Predators in the past ten seasons:

Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks

Old
06-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLAM View Post
The problem is Nashville is a small-market NHL team, with a new hockey history, sub-par fan culture and an internal cap. Nashville isn't a place where many player want to go to "win" a Stanley Cup. The organization itself is extremely professional, and shows strengths in it's drafting/management.

However, while their defense is strong and the goaltending is good, the forward-core is very sub-par. Nashville needs to make a splash upfront and acquire some high talent player.

If they can't do this in the next 2-4 years it will be a waste for Weber. These are the prime years of his career and the Predators need to realize that.
i agree... Weber to Pittsburgh for Leatng and a prospect / or draft pick.. or maybe James Neal and a pick or prospect...

Old
06-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Soundgarden

God this thread is laughable. Letang for Weber because we need cap space, Nashville with an internal budget and a sup-par fan culture? Weber is wasting his time in Nashville as much as Tavares, Ovechkin or Stamkos.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
Just to drive the point home:

In the past 10 seasons, the Nashville Predators have made the playoffs more than the:

Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
New York Islanders
Phoenix Coyotes
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

They have made the playoffs as many times as the:

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
Vancouver Canucks

There are only FIVE teams who have made the playoffs more than the Nashville Predators in the past ten seasons:

Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks
Alot of teams make the playoffs... in hockey Weber needs to go to a contender.

Kris Letang and a prospect or draft pick fr Weber.. they save $ 3 million in cash to sign others and they get younger...

Old
06-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCLAM View Post

I completely agree with you and I think that the organization is currently taking those steps. The first steps were:

1) Trading Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg
2) Trading David Legwand for Calle Jarnkrok
3) Firing David Poile & hiring Peter Laviolette

Now hopefully Poile can make a splash by signing Stastny or perhaps trading for Spezza. It's not like Nashville is just withering away...

Old
06-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
God this thread is laughable. Letang for Weber because we need cap space, Nashville with an internal budget and a sup-par fan culture? Weber is wasting his time in Nashville as much as Tavares, Ovechkin or Stamkos.
its luaghable why ?

The point is Shea Weber needs out of Nashville... kris letang isn't Shea Weber but he is a 26 year old, fast skating offensive player who could help Nashville. Change of scenery for both..

what would you do? Scotty bowman...

Old
06-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Bluesman91

I can't tell if this Weber for Letang stuff is some kind of joke or not...

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Alot of teams make the playoffs... in hockey Weber needs to go to a contender.

Kris Letang and a prospect or draft pick fr Weber.. they save $ 3 million in cash to sign others and they get younger...
There is no way in hell that the Penguins are getting the best defenseman in the league for Kris Letang and a pick. Sorry. There's no other way I can put it. The owners ponied up the cash for Weber. They will have paid nearly half of his salary after this month. Nashville does not need to free up "$3 million in cash". Never. Gonna. Happen.

Old
06-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
what would you do Scotty bowman Shea Weber is wasting in nashville.. he will never sniff the cup there....

Old
06-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Johnpens

Quote:
There is no way in hell that the Penguins are getting the best defenseman in the league for Kris Letang and a pick. Sorry. There's no other way I can put it. The owners ponied up the cash for Weber. They will have paid nearly half of his salary after this month. Nashville does not need to free up "$3 million in cash". Never. Gonna. Happen.
maybe throw in James neal 26 year old 40 goalscorer....

Old
06-06-2014, 02:18 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
its luaghable why ?

The point is Shea Weber needs out of Nashville... kris letang isn't Shea Weber but he is a 26 year old, fast skating offensive player who could help Nashville. Change of scenery for both..

what would you do? Scotty bowman...
Weber doesn't need a change of scenery. He's performing just fine. He just had a career year in Nashville, despite missing the playoffs.

Pittsburgh got bounced in the 2nd round and just had their GM & Coach fired. What's so appealing about that?