HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Dan Girardi our Best D man?

Old
03-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Have anyone heard of Daniel Girardi got any bloodlines with Kevin Lowe?

Nah, just kidding, he is pretty far behind Lowe overall. But Girardi kind of got the same calm as Lowe had. Would be great if he could get his offense gooing some, and maybe get a bit more physical.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 06:27 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Rozsival has been far and away the rangers best defenseman...far and away..the guy gets beaten up every game either by a check, puck, or stick and keeps coming back for more...

girardi has been steady and a blessing but to call him our best is defenseman is just not accurate...
Its not exactly crazy either... Although i do agree on Rozsival.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 06:48 PM
lotus

I really think he's been the best at the moment. I want to see him on the pp at least until Rachunek or Tyutin come back.

But I think it's no question that Pock and Strudwick will have to sit for Toots and Rachunek. No way can you scratch Girardi now.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 06:57 PM
danman1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Dan is the Man
Yeah, I am.

danman1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:03 PM
NYROrtsFan

I'd rather not see Rachunek back over Strudwick. Unfortunately it will have to happen eventually.

i think Rachunek is going to end up hurting us big in the playoffs... He's just too bad in 1 on 1 defensively.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:11 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Haha if Daniel Girardi is our "ace" that is sad.
Not to take anything away from Girardi, he's been great, but christ if a mid-season callup is your best defender there is a problem there.
Anyway, like I said, he has been 100000% times better than I ever expected, he has even been getting on the scoring sheet lately and he's been more than responsible in our zone.
Do you guys think Daniel Girardi really has a shot to stick around with us for a long time?
I kinda feel that since he isn't a top prospect of ours, or at least wasn't regarded as one, that he'll probably be used as trade bait in the offseason or before next year's deadline in order to get someone who is a proven veteran (not that I'm in favor of that, just what I think will happen.) It kinda seems like a situation where we'd trade a guy who wasn't supposed to have a great future, but now has higher than anticipated trade value, and we would want to get him for something before he comes back to Earth and turns into another player lost in limbo between the AHL and NHL until we finally released him or trade him for Denis Seidenburg #2.
Anyway, that's just what I think his fate will be, what do you guys think?

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Taz

Giraldi is so efficient and calm its amazing, i have watched him a bit and rarely is he out of perfect position he is strong too battling for pucks and just does a simple pass to a team mate of clears the zone with ease.

Im hoping Staal will be just as effective at the back, but more creative

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 10:05 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Girardi saved our season, Mara solidified our D.
Replacement of Ward with Mara saved our season (among other things). Girardi solidified our D. As of today our #1 is Rozy.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Haha if Daniel Girardi is our "ace" that is sad.
Not to take anything away from Girardi, he's been great, but christ if a mid-season callup is your best defender there is a problem there.
Anyway, like I said, he has been 100000% times better than I ever expected, he has even been getting on the scoring sheet lately and he's been more than responsible in our zone.
Do you guys think Daniel Girardi really has a shot to stick around with us for a long time?
I kinda feel that since he isn't a top prospect of ours, or at least wasn't regarded as one, that he'll probably be used as trade bait in the offseason or before next year's deadline in order to get someone who is a proven veteran (not that I'm in favor of that, just what I think will happen.) It kinda seems like a situation where we'd trade a guy who wasn't supposed to have a great future, but now has higher than anticipated trade value, and we would want to get him for something before he comes back to Earth and turns into another player lost in limbo between the AHL and NHL until we finally released him or trade him for Denis Seidenburg #2.
Anyway, that's just what I think his fate will be, what do you guys think?
I don't think kid will ever "come back to Earth". He's the real deal. Just because he wasn't a highly hyped prospect doesn't mean anything. Look at what Lundqvist was when he was drafted.

BTW, put it this way:
Staal, Sanguinetti, Sauer, Baranka, Girardi, Tyutin
I think the Rangers won't need to make any trades for Defensemen anytime soon, but that's just my opinion . IMO this defensive group is going to be one of the greatest Defense Corps in Ranger history, just watch. I can see this team winning the cup once all these kids start reaching their prime. Who's going to get past that defense with the King behind them?

Last edited by WhipNash27: 03-23-2007 at 10:27 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Skroob*

wow, i pretty much forgotten completely that Rachunek was a part of this team. its been weeks since i even thought of him.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 11:04 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
wow, i pretty much forgotten completely that Rachunek was a part of this team. its been weeks since i even thought of him.
He was playing good hockey when he got hurt. And let's not forget he shot the damn puck on the power play every chance he could.

Rachunek a number 6 d man with pp time.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Giraldi is so efficient and calm its amazing, i have watched him a bit and rarely is he out of perfect position he is strong too battling for pucks and just does a simple pass to a team mate of clears the zone with ease.
This is exactly what has impressed me so much about this guy. Smooth.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 07:08 PM
mucker*

You know, with Girardi I NEVER hear his name on the ice.
I don't know if that's a good or bad thing

Good
-Must not be taking penalties
-Must not be screwing up

Bad
-Could be not scoring
-Also could be not making huge plays
-Low ice time

I think it means he's been steady.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 12:11 AM
The Blind Squirrel

When you don't hear a Dmans name often, and he's seeing a solid amount of time, it's always a good thing. He's the type of guy that doesn't have to run around and try to throw big hits, or try to do too much with the puck. He keeps it simple.

The Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 12:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Toots, hands down.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 03:56 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Dan has some offensive ability but I think it's more of him making sure his d-game is solid before he starts taking offensive risks. his AHL stats were pretty impressive.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:03 AM
shon

I know he was signed as a free agent. But he must have something to get on the All Rookie team and then a starter in the AHL all star game. His offense will come .

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:47 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Daniel Goneau.
Is he Goneau now?

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
i think Girardi is our best d-man when it comes to pure defense. he unfortunately does not seem to have to much of an offensive touch with is becoming more and more needed in the "new" NHL. Our best all around d-man is definitely Rosival. As much as i like Mara he does scare me at times, he is too eager to pinch some times and that can cause major problems.
You could argue that Girardi is in fact our Rangers' best defensive blueliner. I completely agree.

He is an excellent passer. He takes the body well and uses his body well-positionally speaking. He has a very good shot, but we haven't seen all that much of it, yet. But when he does shoot, it's usually a very nicely accurate, hard shot.

But remember that he keeps his game simple for the most part. He's a young guy and his game is still developing. I don't think we have seen everything Girardi has to offer, as of yet. Be patient, he's a very good player who's still growing his game.

If all goes well, this kid could be an extremely reliable fixture on the blueline, for years to come. That's how good I feel about this guy.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 11:31 AM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappingstinger View Post
You know, with Girardi I NEVER hear his name on the ice.
I don't know if that's a good or bad thing

Good
-Must not be taking penalties
-Must not be screwing up

Bad
-Could be not scoring
-Also could be not making huge plays
-Low ice time

I think it means he's been steady.
Girardi has been tremendous since he came up. He is the perfect guy for where he is playing, he always makes the safe, simple play. Always. Never throws the puck up the middle. Uses the boards and his partners effectively, can make a nice outlet pass that won't get the receiver killed ala Malik. Latley, you see him out there in the last minutes of games, and even when we were blowing leads, I can't think of any times where it was obviously his error that cost the team.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Petemo

Girardi is on a TWO game point streak haha

I am in love with him, and hope to see him around for a long time.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 04:25 PM
shon

Today's game Girardi was by far the best d man.I never am worried when he is out there even with Malik. Playing pretty good for a rookie.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
Today's game Girardi was by far the best d man.I never am worried when he is out there even with Malik. Playing pretty good for a rookie.
I thought he played great too. He got awarded with some really imporant shifts too.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
He was very good today.

But my rankings are like this - at the moment:

1 ROZIE
2 TYUTIN
3 GIRARDI
4 MARA
5 WARD - GONE
6 MALIKSTEIN - somehow the team wins when he plays. 34 - 28 with him on ice. 4 - 9 when he is not. Do not ask why ?
7 RACHUNEK
8 STRUDWICK
9 KASPAR DEMOTED
10 POCK
11 LIFFITON HARTFORD
12 OZO - DEMOTED FOREVER

SO - signing a FA name in the offseason coupled with the Top 4, trading Malik to a +/- fixated team for a pick or two, dumping Karel (sorry) + Pock, bringing up Staal + Baranka for parts of the year and having Liffiton as a good backup guy would bring the following ideal defense to the table next year:

Souray (or other FA) - Tyutin
Girardi - Mara
Rozsival - Staal

Liffiton/Baranka

Not too bad
And a helluva lot better than the beginning of the season with
Ozo, Ward, Malik, Kaspar and Rachunek 5 of the regulars

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Fletch

Girardi has been...

very steady. Just remember though, he's not facing top competition, so it's often unfair to compare his play to that of, say, Rozsival.

I think I agree with SoS - Rozsival has been this team's best defenseman this season. He's played it tough and has mostly been consistent.

What's also weird is I've totally forgotten about Tyutin. It's odd how this defense has come together so nicely without him.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote