HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Mike Richards is bought out...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-06-2014, 01:52 PM
  #51
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Any center can play wing just as well. Especially old, slow, banged up centers.
esp on the 4th line

dingbathero is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  #52
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,839
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post


This thread is about to go off the rails.

So it begins. Two posters enter! One poster leaves!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Any center can play wing just as well. Especially old, slow, banged up centers.


That beanie gif is underused.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 04:06 PM
  #53
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
4th leading scorer on the Kings, got less ice time than he has in the past, didn't always play with talented linemates, lowest shooting % of his career, other than his rookie season, which could indicate that he was a little unlucky. I think he's still got something left.

But I don't think it makes sense for him to come back, and it probably doesn't make sense for us. Maybe if Vinny wasn't here.

zarley zelepukin is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 05:03 PM
  #54
Funf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
4th leading scorer on the Kings, got less ice time than he has in the past, didn't always play with talented linemates, lowest shooting % of his career, other than his rookie season, which could indicate that he was a little unlucky. I think he's still got something left.

But I don't think it makes sense for him to come back, and it probably doesn't make sense for us. Maybe if Vinny wasn't here.
His PDO (which is just shooting + save percentage) is low this year, suggesting he'll probably bounce back a little bit, but you also have to start taking his age into account. Also the fact that teams may be willing to give him 2nd line money, which I don't think we should be doing.

If we could pay him like a 3rd/4th liner, I'd think about it, assuming Laughton comes up, Vinny is gone, and Schenn moves to wing. But that's a lot to ask.

Funf is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 06:21 PM
  #55
Mota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
I would love to have him back...but things would have to play out a certain way. LA would actually have to buy him out (which I dont think they will), we would likely have to trade Vinny (which i don't think we will be able to do) and he would have to be willing to accepts a reasonable cap hit (which is unlikely with the war the market is).

I think he would play here again in a heart beat...he loved living in Philly and that is probably a much bigger factor for him than having hard feelings.

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
XXXX-Couturier-Simmonds
Read-Richards-Hartnell
Rindaldo-Laughton-Raffle

That would be a tough line up to go up against...but like I said, a lot would have to happen. I love the potential of the "Mr. Fantastic" duo on the third line .

Mota is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 06:34 PM
  #56
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
If mike richards is bought out would you look at bringing him back to philladphia! Most would say no im assuming due to salary and a poor performance this year. But i would love to have him back! He was a character player and would look great on girouxs wing. Thoughts?
Everyone here is missing the point... it is not whether or not Richards will want to come here and whether or not he will fit in with the current roster... or even if he will be able to be signed within the Cap restraints.

The big question is how would Hextall and the Flyers fit in Carter and his complete current contract when he holds his breath and turns blue, as he causes a complete King meltdown as he demands that LA moves him... to only the one team where he can again be reunited with his Bud... Here on Dry Island.

Sawdalite is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 06:37 PM
  #57
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
... THERE!!! ... The Elephant in the room has now been mentioned... BOOM!

Sawdalite is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 08:21 PM
  #58
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
Question:

How would the recently new NHL penalty work down the line on these long-term deals that save Cap?... When retirement happens the team(s) gets whacked at the end... With Richards, IIRC the Flyers are effected a tad, as it was explaned... but even if they aren't, I believe the Kings would be.

I understand that a Buy-Out... and in this case muddling up the work, a 'Compliance Buy-Out... is not a retirement unless the player does retire... but eventually they will. Does the Contract that saved Cap merely go bye bye, or does the penalty still show up at the end, and if it does, then how does the Buy-Outs/Compliance Buy-Outs effect it... if they does?

Just a thought to maybe cause a headache or two for some in contemplation.

Sawdalite is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 08:29 PM
  #59
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,839
vCash: 156
Compliance buyout is a complete amnesty...if a player retires after being bought out normally I have no idea if anybody gets dinged. I assume not, because the contract ends; I think there is only a penalty if the player retires before the contract ends, in that case, any team that had benefit gets dinged.

We aren't on the hook for Richards at all, his contract started after he was traded.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 08:39 PM
  #60
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Compliance buyout is a complete amnesty...if a player retires after being bought out normally I have no idea if anybody gets dinged. I assume not, because the contract ends; I think there is only a penalty if the player retires before the contract ends, in that case, any team that had benefit gets dinged.

We aren't on the hook for Richards at all, his contract started after he was traded.
You're thinking of Carter's.

Richards's started earlier (2008-09). But we only had 650k in "cap savings" banked at the time of the trade. In fact, we actually had a couple years of anti-cap savings when his salary was less than his cap hit. I'm pretty sure we don't get credit for that, though.

So if Richards were to retire out of his contract, we'd only be on the hook for 650k divided by the number of years remaining on the deal. So it's a negligible amount.

Should be moot, though. I just see no way he doesn't get amnestied.

EDIT: CBA says we do get credit for those years. So, in fact, our aggregate cap advantage amount is only 150k. So even less negligible.

EDIT #2: Apparently the mere fact that Richards's contract was traded before the CBA was enacted negates us from any penalty at all. So now it's truly negligible!


Last edited by hockeyfreak7: 06-06-2014 at 08:49 PM.
hockeyfreak7 is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 09:51 PM
  #61
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,900
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
If mike richards is bought out would you look at bringing him back to philladphia! Most would say no im assuming due to salary and a poor performance this year. But i would love to have him back! He was a character player and would look great on girouxs wing. Thoughts?
Why would LA buy him? they are in the cup final and there are other players that are sucking bigger then him.

FYI

Before a player is bought out he needs to go on waivers--Richards wont clear

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline  
Old
06-06-2014, 11:45 PM
  #62
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Compliance buyout is a complete amnesty...if a player retires after being bought out normally I have no idea if anybody gets dinged. I assume not, because the contract ends; I think there is only a penalty if the player retires before the contract ends, in that case, any team that had benefit gets dinged.

We aren't on the hook for Richards at all, his contract started after he was traded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
You're thinking of Carter's.

Richards's started earlier (2008-09). But we only had 650k in "cap savings" banked at the time of the trade. In fact, we actually had a couple years of anti-cap savings when his salary was less than his cap hit. I'm pretty sure we don't get credit for that, though.

So if Richards were to retire out of his contract, we'd only be on the hook for 650k divided by the number of years remaining on the deal. So it's a negligible amount.

Should be moot, though. I just see no way he doesn't get amnestied.

EDIT: CBA says we do get credit for those years. So, in fact, our aggregate cap advantage amount is only 150k. So even less negligible.

EDIT #2: Apparently the mere fact that Richards's contract was traded before the CBA was enacted negates us from any penalty at all. So now it's truly negligible!
Thanks, guys... it all made sense.

Sawdalite is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 02:45 AM
  #63
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Why would LA buy him? they are in the cup final and there are other players that are sucking bigger then him.

FYI

Before a player is bought out he needs to go on waivers--Richards wont clear

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 02:58 AM
  #64
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer
 
OzFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Why would LA buy him? they are in the cup final and there are other players that are sucking bigger then him.

FYI

Before a player is bought out he needs to go on waivers--Richards wont clear
So that saves LA from having to buy him out?

OzFlyer is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 06:36 PM
  #65
Norm MacDonald
Registered User
 
Norm MacDonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
As irrational and fickle as it sounds, Richards is a couple good games away from having decent trade value.

Norm MacDonald is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 06:45 PM
  #66
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,494
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
As irrational and fickle as it sounds, Richards is a couple good games away from having decent trade value.
That's what happened to Bolland last year

GKJ is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 06:51 PM
  #67
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,418
vCash: 539
if he keeps missing point blank chances at the net that value isn't going to increase.

Jtown is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 08:01 PM
  #68
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,418
vCash: 539
and keeps missing his assignments ( brassard) he will have no trade value.

Jtown is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 10:56 PM
  #69
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
As irrational and fickle as it sounds, Richards is a couple good games away from having decent trade value.
Well he better get a move on because he just turned in another rather average game tonight & this series very well could be a short one.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 10:59 PM
  #70
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,839
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
and keeps missing his assignments ( brassard) he will have no trade value.
Experiment...who is the better player, Leino or Richards?

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
06-07-2014, 11:04 PM
  #71
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The Oilers would be smart to bring in Richie, but I highly expect him to go through waivers with that contract and to be bought out. LA does play him perfectly though on the fourth line while being brought up some and also playing a lot of special teams. He is a proven winner.

flyersfan187 is offline  
Old
06-08-2014, 12:47 AM
  #72
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,418
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Experiment...who is the better player, Leino or Richards?
i'd rather have leino's contract.

Jtown is offline  
Old
06-08-2014, 02:27 AM
  #73
dookie88
Registered User
 
dookie88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
i'd rather have leino's contract.
You'd rather have Leino than your wife/gf, it seems.

dookie88 is offline  
Old
06-08-2014, 09:42 AM
  #74
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Vinny is one dimensional and now we want to add Richards who is becoming one dimensional and aging like he has progeria? No thanks..

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
06-08-2014, 10:58 AM
  #75
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Vinny is one dimensional and now we want to add Richards who is becoming one dimensional and aging like he has progeria? No thanks..
I think it goes without saying that Vinny would have to be moved.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.