HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville?

Old
06-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 500
You seriously think that if Weber and Keith switched places that Weber would fail? He scored 20+ goals and had a 50 point season without one Kane, Toews, Sharp or Hossa to help him get secondary assists. Come on, let's be real here. You may not like him, but he's one of the best defenseman in the league.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post
Basically Nashville's system is designed in such a way that their slow-moving, slow-thinking defensemen can shine.
Who are Nashville's "slow-moving, slow-thinking" defensemen? Please enlighten me.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
That still does not reinforce much of anything you've said. Nashville has a never ending ability to produce good defensemen... who what? Who will look noticeably worse on any other team? And what does this have to do with whether or not he's wasting his talents in Nashville anyway? I guess if the reply is "he'd play worse anywhere else" then the answer to one of the posed questions is "no."
Because if you think he's benefiting from the Nashville system then obviously he isn't wasting his career/talent unless your only measure is in Stanley Cups and I don't think that's a good measurement of career/talent.

Ether Prodigy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Max Kellerman
dim jim

vCash: 50
Quote:
And all of those guys excluding Suter (but in a shortened season) had their career year in points with the Nashville Predators. You have found me 4 people who fit the mould and 1 exception.

Like I said, I doubt Weber would fill in well for a Doughty, a Keith, a Subban, a Karlsson or even a McDonagh. Not that he would be bad just that like I said - he benefited from Nashville more than they benefited from him.
Dan Hamhuis has been Vancouver's best d-man since joining the Canucks. In that 4 year span the Canucks have won 3 division titles, 2 President's trophies, and a trip to the finals (a series they likely win with Hamhuis in the lineup) everything isn't as black and white as 'points' Hamhuis has gotten unquestionably better in Vancouver.

And even then Hamhuis was on pace to shatter his best season in terms on points in 12/13, but the fact that the season was on;y 48 games long stopped it from happening.

Max Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:03 PM
Filip Forceberg

In International play, Shea Weber has 26 points in 28 games. Domination in a completely different system.

What will be your excuse when Weber continues to dominate under Laviolette's new system?

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:07 PM
jagori78

Nashville has no income tax. So basically his entire salary ends up being his. Also, the cost of living in Nashville is excellent; so for non-hockey reasons, why would he want to leave?

Compare that with living in Vancouver, or Toronto. 1/3rd of his money would go straight to tax, and his cost of living, house, etc. would be triple. For me, it would be an easy decision.

Washington, Florida, and Tampa also have no income tax.

Now, players have to pay the taxes for away games; whatever the taxes are in the states or provinces they play; but there is a big financial advantage for playing for those teams home games without income tax.

jagori78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 09:08 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

I get the feeling that HF, had it been around 40-45 years ago, would have criticized Bobby Orr for being selfish and not "tough enough" to "play through injuries."

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
And all of those guys excluding Suter (but in a shortened season) had their career year in points with the Nashville Predators. You have found me 4 people who fit the mould and 1 exception.

Like I said, I doubt Weber would fill in well for a Doughty, a Keith, a Subban, a Karlsson or even a McDonagh. Not that he would be bad just that like I said - he benefited from Nashville more than they benefited from him.
None of those players have gone from one team to another and slowed down. Heck, excluding Timonen, who had his career years in the ridiculous 05/06 and 06/07, all of those players have produced similarly offensively.

Hamhuis went to being the best D-man on the Canucks.

Timonen went to being the best D-man on the Flyers.

Klein went to having the same role in NYR.

Suter went to being a Norris Trophy contender on the Wild.

You said that Weber would be worse offensively and defensively. I ask you: Why?

Nashville is a D-man factory, and have been for 10 years. Instead of seeing that every top D-man that have left the Preds have played a very prominent role, not only on their next team, but also in the league, you claim that the Nashville system makes the look better than they are. If that were the case, they wouldn't still be top D-men in the league after leaving the Preds.

It's not like they regularly pick up lousy D-men and make them look amazing either. They are simply great at drafting and developing D-men.

Old
06-08-2014, 09:29 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
In International play, Shea Weber has 26 points in 28 games. Domination in a completely different system.

What will be your excuse when Weber continues to dominate under Laviolette's new system?
It's the country music. Anyone could look like the best D-man in the league when the opponents get mesmerized by the music coming out of the speakers during the TV-timeouts.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 10:25 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Slow moving, slow thinking?

OK yeah, you're just grasping at straws now. I'll stop.
Exactly. This dude has no clue. Roman Josi, Seth Jones, even big Shea Weber are all good to great skaters. Ellis is by far our slowest skater on the back end.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 12:55 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

IMO, Weber is one of the only few(probably less than handful) defenders in the league who can still be one of the best even on an absolutely horrible team.

Not saying Nashville is horrible but I'm trying to say Weber can perform in any way possible and in any surrounding.

When Nashville made playoffs? Weber was top 3 in Norris voting.

When Nashville's season went down the drain this year? Weber top 3 in Norris voting.

Also, Nashville has really bright future and can change things around as soon as next year. Especially if they make a trade for a number 1 center or strong top 6 C like Spezza, Kesler, Mike Richards etc...

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:01 AM
rt
Powers Gold Label

Nashville should do the right thing; they can keep Shea Weber for five games each season, but they must also donate eleven games of Shea to each of the seven Canadian NHL teams. Of course the Preds will still be responsible for the entire cap hit. Oh and the five games each season must be home games in Nashville when Canadian teams are visiting. This way Canadian fans can enjoy the golf, the cheap tickets, and the national treasure that is the Shea Weber.

06-09-2014, 01:06 AM
N o o d l e s

I don't know really if it's fair to blame this on Nashville, because any time that one of the premier players in this league, or any pro sport, isn't playing in the postseason, then the year has been a waste of time/talent.

Now you could say this about any team if Weber played for them and they missed out on the postseason. But then again would you call that period from like 2009-2012 when the Preds were a threat to go deep into the playoffs a waste of Weber's talent? It can be achieved in Nashville, it just wasn't last year. So, yes, last year was a waste of his time and talent.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:20 AM
HavlatMach9

He is wasting his talents there, as are other great players who are not on contendending teams. The solution is to take a substantial pay cut to join already top teams.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 06:34 AM
BCShark

put weber on chicago instead of keith and hes the undisputed best dman in the league

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 06:44 AM
BOLD MacT Trade
GoldMoldisMacTBold

I think the difference is maybe 10 more points for Weber on a more offensive team. He is THE MAN in Nashville though and should never be traded.

BOLD MacT Trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 06:55 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

There seems to be some perception that Nashville has been a bad hockey team since the lockout. Not sure where this is coming from, as they have easily been in the top 15 (arguably top 10-12) teams over the last 10 years.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:04 AM
chunkylover53

Is someone seriously trying to discredit Weber because he's on Nashville and somehow benefits from playing in Nashville? LMAO the dude dominates even on international play. If he had a good team no one would question that he's the #1 dman in the league, which I still think he is even now.

chunkylover53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:13 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
Yes, yes he is.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:49 AM
dougie1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Exactly. This dude has no clue. Roman Josi, Seth Jones, even big Shea Weber are all good to great skaters. Ellis is by far our slowest skater on the back end.
Weber is a great skater but he is not faster than Ellis. I wouldn't say Ekholm is either. Ellis didn't get as many opportunities to show his speed this season. Again, he's a terrific skater but not faster than a guy half his size. You're over-exaggerating.

dougie1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:59 AM
WTFMAN99

Shea Weber is the best defenseman in the league (in my opinion)

Doughty, Suter are a close 2nd in my books.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Wrath

I think the real point of this thread is:

"Is *insert superstar* wasting his time on *non-cup favorite team*?"

By this definition any superstar not on the Blackhawks, Kings, Ducks, Bruins, Penguins(?), etc. wasting his time?

With Rinne back and an emerging Seth Jones among other good draft picks Nashville's future isn't that dim.

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
Ewan McGregor*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
There seems to be some perception that Nashville has been a bad hockey team since the lockout. Not sure where this is coming from, as they have easily been in the top 15 (arguably top 10-12) teams over the last 10 years.
not bad by definition, just irrelevant

Ewan McGregor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:34 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 1250
This just seems like an insulting thread. It just suggests it's a waste to be in a nontraditional market. Insult to an organization that isn't half bad at all, insult to the fans that pay to watch Weber and the Preds play, and insult to a city for having a team.

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:48 AM
TheGooooch

He is using his talent so i wouldn't say he is wasting it. Would love him on the sharks 8days a week.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote