HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Looking To Keep Nylander

Old
03-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I like Nylander, but here is the issue:

Nylander is 34 right now, he will be 35 in October. You sign him to a 2 year deal and he will be will turn 36 in his last season with us.

Can a team win the Cup with a 35 or 36 year old #1 center??? I don't think that is likely. When you look around the league and see guys like Briere(29) and Drury(30)...those are guys you can win a Cup with!
Or 5 years from now wed have a Daniel Briere, 34 y/o, making 8m per season. Is that better? Is his durable enough?

And, what are the odds of getting Briere? Drury?

Datysuk are styaing in Det. Gomez aren't comming here. One of Briere and Drury will be resigned in Buff, atleast one of them, possibly two if Vanek is moved.

So at the most, one of thoose 4 will be on the market, you can imagine the price tag. Thoose players aren't franchise players, Brier is the best of the bunch, but I have some questionmarks on his durability. Id like to see Drury perform as a goto player anywhere else then on the best offensive team in the league.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 02:19 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
When Chris Drury become a #1 center?Same thing w/Daniel Briere?

Good players but are they worth in excess of $6 million?

Let the Flyers give Briere the money he wants
I was thinking the exact same thing. I am very happy with Nylander. Quite honestly his spins and lack of shooting does get frustrating at times but for 3.5 for 2 years I am willing to overlook his small negatives because I like the overall Nylander package. The guy has chemistry with our Franchise player and he is one of the best passers this team has had in quite some time. I am glad we are taking care of this mid season as opposed to getting into a bidding war with some desperate team during Free Agency. Like Rangerboy said Drury and Briere are both gonna get 6-6.5 mill a year, when you compare Nylander to those players and what he gives us, having him for 2 years at 3.5 is an absolute steal.

Even with Nylander resigned we are gonna have some money to play with this off season. Keep in mind Weekes, Ozolinsh, and Rachunek are all off the books.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
When Chris Drury become a #1 center?Same thing w/Daniel Briere?

Good players but are they worth in excess of $6 million?

Let the Flyers give Briere the money he wants
Briere has been more than a PPG player each of the last two seasons.. he is going to hit 90 points this season, how does that not qualify as a first line center.. those numbers are not second line numbers, and consider he is the scoring pivot on the line he plays

as for Drury, he isn't a scorer but he does it all at a high efficiency.. scoring/defense/special teams, clutch performer.. not even factoring his intangibles.. imo while he is not a prototypical first line player, he certainly can fit the role of a first line center and his value goes far beyond what you see on the stat sheet.. i think he is a clear upgrade over nylander, i also don't believe he will make as much as the other centers named before so the increase in pay would be worth it

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 02:54 PM
NYRMatt

Send a message via AIM to NYRMatt Send a message via MSN to NYRMatt
Sign em' up.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 02:55 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Briere has been more than a PPG player each of the last two seasons.. he is going to hit 90 points this season, how does that not qualify as a first line center.. those numbers are not second line numbers, and consider he is the scoring pivot on the line he plays

as for Drury, he isn't a scorer but he does it all at a high efficiency.. scoring/defense/special teams, clutch performer.. not even factoring his intangibles.. imo while he is not a prototypical first line player, he certainly can fit the role of a first line center and his value goes far beyond what you see on the stat sheet.. i think he is a clear upgrade over nylander, i also don't believe he will make as much as the other centers named before so the increase in pay would be worth it
Why would you want to replace Nylander and upset the 1st line chemistry. Do you think having say Briere center JJ or Straka/Hossa will do any better than what Nylander currently brings to NYR, and at $3 mill cheaper. That line is arguably one of top 3 in league. Briere is not going to make it stronger, and might just weaken it. JJ is not going to score more goals w/Briere. So now you look for a top 2nd line center, and I am not paying $6-7 mill a year for 2nd line center. We have Avery, Cullen Betts Dubi, maybe Immonen. Glen will manage cap. The money better spent on D.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 03:50 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I like Nylander, but here is the issue:

Nylander is 34 right now, he will be 35 in October. You sign him to a 2 year deal and he will be will turn 36 in his last season with us.

Can a team win the Cup with a 35 or 36 year old #1 center??? I don't think that is likely. When you look around the league and see guys like Briere(29) and Drury(30)...those are guys you can win a Cup with!

I totally understand that Nylander has good chemistry with Jagr. However, for us to win the Cup, at some point we have to learn to do what is best for the TEAM, not for just Jagr.

I just feel locking up Nylander for 2 years will slow this team down and we won't win the Cup going this route.

first off, let me say that is the great question surrounding the rangers all the time...

can the team win with the style they usually play? we don't know yet. so i respect your point on that aspect.

but as for nylander 2 points from me.

1. who's to say this team still won't go after another center who can be as good as, and maybe even better than, nylander? i don't think you have to get someone flat out better than him, just someone who's at least on or around the same level w/o necessarily having the same style. as ola mentioned, i don't particularly believe that any of the top centers in the realm of gomez, datsyuk, briere, or drury are better than nylander. it's just those guys are comparable and in the case of the latter 3 they are complemented by players who have a high skill level like them (drury and briere help each other out a lot because neither hogs ice time, and datsyuk definitely is not consumed by ice time).

2. now is the right time to sing nylander if you are going to do it. he is one age away from having that dreaded 35+ contract clause kick in. if you sign him by single year then all you have is next season. after that, if you were to sign him again for a season and something happens or he sucks, you're charged with the cap number.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 04:02 PM
slim399

I just do not think Sather is sold on this years free agent group of centers. Neither am I and by reading these posts neither do anyone of you.

I still think that we will receive that center through trading one of the goalies... which will not happen until after next season. Or we make a run at Thorton or Marleau who will be UFA's.

Nylander will come cheap (years and money) and has already proven himself in the big city.

There is no reason not to re sign him.

Even though I am not sold on Avery being our #2 center... I am very close to being sold on the shamrock line being a true #2 line.

As much as I would like Dubinsky and Korpedo to start the season with the big club... some more seasoning in the AHL is not going to hurt them!

that gives us 9 forwards nylander, straka, jagr, avery, shanny, callahan, cullen, prucha, hossa to fill out the top 3 lines.

The one guy everyone is forgetting is Dawes! Where the heck does he fit into this... he certainly has nothing left to prove at the AHL level.

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Wow, after a lot of the b******* that have been posted on these boards over the last two months, I am really pleased to see such an honest, reasonably debated thread! I was expecting this to turn into a fight between the Nylanderphobes and the Nylander-lovers!

My 2: I think that this represents a good deal for the Rangers and the best option available. I don't think there's anyone out there who makes more sense for this team at this point (and keep in mind, Chris Drury is one of my favourite players in the league), especially at this price.

As for Nylander's shooting: time was, there was Good Nylander and Bad Nylander. Good Nylander was an offensive weapon, as effective as Mats Sundin (the player who keeps him out of the Swedish national team lineup -- Foppa's in a different class), spraying assists everywhere on the ice and carrying the play. Bad Nylander was brutal to watch and totally ineffective. He'd still dipsy-doodle and skate and pass everywhere, but he would get lost and not put up any points.

Now Nylander has never liked to shoot, but these days, I think we have Sometimes-shoots Nylander and No-shot Nylander, but we never have Bad Nylander. No matter what, he puts points and assists on the board and that's a big difference between the player he is and the player he was.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 04:54 PM
eco's bones

The point of the chemistry between Nylander and Jagr should be kept in mind. A Briere or a Drury might actually not click with Jagr's style. OTOH they might do better with a Shanahan. Personally if we can get Nylander for the 3.5 or whatever and it's not longer than 2 years we have to do it. Want to bring in another center--that's great too but neither Briere or Drury are worth $5-6 million to me. Both are good players--but they're not having HOF kinds of careers. In the 4 to 4.5 range--that would be okay.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post

Even though I am not sold on Avery being our #2 center... I am very close to being sold on the shamrock line being a true #2 line.

As much as I would like Dubinsky and Korpedo to start the season with the big club... some more seasoning in the AHL is not going to hurt them!

that gives us 9 forwards nylander, straka, jagr, avery, shanny, callahan, cullen, prucha, hossa to fill out the top 3 lines.

The one guy everyone is forgetting is Dawes! Where the heck does he fit into this... he certainly has nothing left to prove at the AHL level.
Trade bait.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:38 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
i'd sign him....

... after the season

hear hear
It seem as if players dont produce with new signed contracts. Have one ready for him after the season. 3,5 sounds fair for his service.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Nylander

My two cents...

Have been and will remain a huge Michael Nylander fan. I think what he brings to the table far outweighs any of the guys shortcomings...and also there really aren't too many ppg players at that price range, so even if he commands a half million more than he is getting now I think its a great move for the organization.

On Drury, Briere, and Gomez- All three bring different intangables, and any of the three could truly benefit the team, but at what price tag are any of these three really worth? Plus I was under the impression that Jaromir Jagr's salary of 8,000,000 or whatever it is was to be paid solely by the Rangers this season, rather than Wash paying thew half that they were. Can anyone confirm this? If so and the Rangers had to eat that other 4 million and also resign Avery who I believe is also an RFA at the end of the season, it might not leave them with the cap space to entice a Drury, Gomez, or Briere.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
Forever Blue

For 2/$7M, I'm all for re-signing him. Sometimes his unwillingness to shoot is frustrating, but $3.5M per is a small price for the production he provides, and for the chemistry he has with Jagr.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 06:01 PM
mucker*

Nylander has been excellent and he's a good fit in the cap.

We need a 2nd line or more dominant center, that way Cullen can be put at his more natural 3rd line position.

This is smart because it protects us in case one of the top centers available, Drury, Brierre, don't come here, and at the same time, if let Nylander go you are looking at having to get two top six center man, not an easy thing to do.

By no means does this take us out of upgrading the top six in free agency, it helps keep us in good cap shape, keeps chemistry with Jagr, and all over a great decision.

We still need another center, if you have Nylander with Jagr or the 2nd line and then get a Drury to put Cullen on line 3, you're in good shape.

You could even shift Cullen to LW and put Dubinsky or Jarko on line 3, folks there is TONS of flexbility with Cullen and other players we got.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 06:52 PM
The Thomas J.*

this is a good deal, Money is reasonable, Nylander can Play in NY he plays his best Hockey with Jagr.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote