HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal straight to the NHL?

Old
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappingstinger View Post
Maybe I've come to the wrong place but please objectivity, just how good a prospect is Staal and Sengeuinti (Butcher I know)?

I've heard for years about Lundmark, Brendhl, Balej, are these guys the real deal and if so what specifically destinguinshes them from most of the NYR orginzational players the last decade?

I don't want to get excited over little things.
Staal is darn good. He is big and pretty tough, he got a good skill set for someone 6'4.

But he also got tremendous poise. He always reacts well, can handle just about any situation. He is already a really good hockey player, and got potential to be a force. The smarts are just so important for a D. The best prospect rangers have had since atleast Kovalev without a doubt, well besides Lundqvist maybe.

Marc Staal is a very special player.

Sanguetti is pretty much a normal 1st rounder with a normal development curve. He got potential, but natrually like most kids a really long way to go to. He still must develop allot.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 06:51 PM
NYROrtsFan

I think the early success of recent Rangers rookies should give you a bit of confidence in the Rangers system. Dubinsky shows a lot to like. Callahan looks excellent already. Girardi has been nothing short of a rock back there.

Staal has a ton of things to like about him... Shut down defenseman who plays pretty physical and is good wiht the puck.

Sanguinetti is different in that he's a few years away most likely but has a ton of upside as an offensive defenseman. Needs to get better in his own end which isnt a guarantee, but surely possible.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 07:04 PM
mucker*

We haven't had a positional player become a solid top six or top f defensiveman, much less seriously skilled all star in a long time.
Zidlisky but he was traded, ideally that's the player we would like to see him become.

My question, is this realistic and is if so, why did Staal go so much latter than his brothers and why has it taken him longer to get into the NHL should we expect him next season?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
The Blind Squirrel

Is he ready to play at the NHL level? The jump from juniors to the show is a pretty big one. When I was watching Staal play in the preseason, he looked like he was getting handled. I think he should at least start the season in the AHL to get used to the system and to get some solid playing time. Hopefuly he adds a little size over the summer.

The Blind Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Staal has a ton of things to like about him... Shut down defenseman who plays pretty physical and is good wiht the puck.
Yeah, and what I also really like him is that besides beeing a great shutdown D, he is natrually more of a 2-way D who can play the shut down game really well.

If he ends up in a 1 on 1 situation with a Evgeni Malkin in the WJC and Staal manage to strip Malkin, he never stopps there, like most D's would do, he finnish up the play by beeing equally focused right after to set up a transition play.

He really recognizes what needs to be done on defense, and plays a complete game. I would say that he is much better in the passing game out of his own end, and moving the puck there too, then allot of people give him credit for. Just because a Luc Bourdon can run a PP much better then Staal, people take for granted that he passes the puck better and makes better decisions with it from his own end then Staal does, thats not the case. Staal moved the puck really well, and aren't far behind Eric Johnson in that aspect, defenitly smarter then Jack J., but Jack got more individual skill. Staal defenitly moves the puck allot better then Luc Bourdon, Bourdon are great on the point though. Staal aren't a good point man.

I think this is a huge reason for why he weren't drafted higher, or why he doesn't get recognition in prospect rankings ect. The fact that he aren't great on the point. While in a WJC where the marginals gets allot smaller in then in the OHL, it really shows how great Staal is, because he can play the same game there as he does in the OHL.

Old
03-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappingstinger View Post
My question, is this realistic and is if so, why did Staal go so much latter than his brothers and why has it taken him longer to get into the NHL should we expect him next season?
If you look at players like Ryan Whitney, Ryan Sutter, Coburn and Cam Barker all are really high touted D's, who also all took a few years to just get in, and then a few more before they started to contribute. No D from Staal's drafts are playing in the NHL. D's just takes a little longer, its allot easier for a wing to just go in and skate then its for a D to run things.

Old
03-24-2007, 07:35 AM
dank

I see nothing wrong with his development going thru Hartford for most or all of next year. We aren't really at place where he should be rushed and like everyone knows and probably agrees with, this situation with him not being able to play in the A this year was an unfortunate stall (haha) on his process.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:43 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

As Dank said, Staal is a perfect example of a kid who gets hurt by the arrangement between the NHL and CHL.

Ideally he should've been in the AHL this year, but that wasn't an option.

Having said that I think Staal has a chance to play in the NHL next season, but we'll have to see how he does in camp first.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:44 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I see nothing wrong with his development going thru Hartford for most or all of next year. We aren't really at place where he should be rushed and like everyone knows and probably agrees with, this situation with him not being able to play in the A this year was an unfortunate stall (haha) on his process.
Exactly. I wouldn't even mind 2 years in the AHL.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:46 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

2 years? Cmon now.

I don't think a kid should be rushed, but I also don't think there is a standard waiting period where a kid HAS to play a year or two in the AHL if they are ready.

Is Staal ready? I don't know yet, but this kid isn't THAT raw by a country mile.

Old
03-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Fletch

I'd be surprised...

to see Staal in the NHL this season, unless there are more injuries and he shows he's ready, which he may not even have time to do. The defense is playing great as a group now and Renney's not going to switch that up. He's not big on changing lineups.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
2 years? Cmon now.

I don't think a kid should be rushed, but I also don't think there is a standard waiting period where a kid HAS to play a year or two in the AHL if they are ready.

Is Staal ready? I don't know yet, but this kid isn't THAT raw by a country mile.
Exactly, I'd expect a situation close to Callahan's. Spend a half season or so down there and come on up. This guy is one of the closest we have to a bluechip and has the mental makeup to make a premature jump {if you even classify it as that}. He finished his junior career for god sakes, so he's not being rushed. Just tested IMO. And he has the fiber to take to that challenge well unlike past junior superstar busts.

Just MO but If Staal stays in HFD for 2 years, something has seriously gone wrong in his development.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Personally, I'm just going to be happy that HFD is getting some bodies back there soon with Baranka and Taylor now done. Started with Potter, now Reese, keep 'em coming.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
2 years? Cmon now.

Edge, c'mon now.

I'm saying if he needs work. I mean, do you really think I meant that I'd keep him there for 2 years if he was ready?

Use your head a bit, buddy. Just saying that if he takes a bit more time than we all think.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Edge, c'mon now.

I'm saying if he needs work. I mean, do you really think I meant that I'd keep him there for 2 years if he was ready?

Use your head a bit, buddy. Just saying that if he takes a bit more time than we all think.
Using my head, still doesn't change the fact that even mentioning two years in a sentence with Staal is still a big stretch no matter how many "if's" there are in the sentence.

Old
03-25-2007, 03:18 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

With Sudbury winning their first game, the latest their season can end is April 1 if they get swept the next 4.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/news/?id=3397

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
outofrange

I honestly think that Staal will join us next season. If there's anything that he needs to polish in his game, he can do it in the NHL, and progress from there. I actually think that he'd regress if he decided not to make the jump...

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote