HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Managers Picked For Civic Center

Old
03-24-2007, 03:37 AM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
bleed -- I think it was a developer who wanted to buy the Pens, I believe.
sounds like a good story either way. id like to know who it was.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 09:45 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

My choice would be teh Gwinnett Arena here in Northeast GA. Great, modern facility holds about 8-12,000. The Gwinnett Glads are there now, but it would be great they, the glads draw pretty well they are a ECHL team. That ever happens I would buy season tixs. The probelm would be 2 fold, the glads and the thrashers are only down the road.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 10:22 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
The probelm would be 2 fold, the glads and the thrashers are only down the road.
no the problem would be that the rangers want to move them CLOSER to nyc not 5 times further away

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 10:27 AM
alkurtz

From reading through the Hartford newspapers, it would certainly seem as option #1 is for the Pack to keep playing in Hartford even though MSG will no longer run the arena.

From a hockey standpoint, it certainly makes the most sense for the Rangers: remember Al Montoya helicoptering down to MSG in time to be a backup earlier this year? Remember Nigel Dawes two trips back and forth just in case he was needed? Hartford is close enough for Ranger coaches to run up there to scout and for Pack players to run down to NYC for medical treatment. It is also far enough away for the Pack to have the own identity and not just be a closeby appendage of the big team. And for CT fans, as good as the ECHL is, they are better off with an AHL team.

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Hartford HockeyFan

Save the Wolf Pack petiton

Quote:
I wrote up a petition, for those who want to sign.

http://************************/htfdpack/petition.html

sign the Save the Wolf Pack petition

There is currently a petition up at various message boards for all AHL fans and NHL fans to sign. Any fan that doesnt want to see Hartford without the AHL please sign. It would be great to show support for the Wolf Pack staying put. I did not start the petition, I am basically passing it along for anyone who wants to sign it.

Thanks.

Hartford HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 09:14 PM
broadwayblue

I'd like to see them playing in one of the 5 boroughs. Would be great for them to be playing in the Rangers back yard, and I think they would be a better draw than anywhere else.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
SuomiOlli

There has been talk of building an arena in Allentown, PA for an AHL team. One of the teams rumored to move are the Rangers or Devils. The ownership group interested in getting a team already has a piece of the Penguins and Pirates, and the Wheeling Nailers. The Lehigh Valley is also getting the AAA Phillies team, with a new stadium being built nearby the proposed arena site.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/baseball...9.story?page=2

SuomiOlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:46 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
From reading through the Hartford newspapers, it would certainly seem as option #1 is for the Pack to keep playing in Hartford even though MSG will no longer run the arena.

From a hockey standpoint, it certainly makes the most sense for the Rangers: remember Al Montoya helicoptering down to MSG in time to be a backup earlier this year? Remember Nigel Dawes two trips back and forth just in case he was needed? Hartford is close enough for Ranger coaches to run up there to scout and for Pack players to run down to NYC for medical treatment. It is also far enough away for the Pack to have the own identity and not just be a closeby appendage of the big team. And for CT fans, as good as the ECHL is, they are better off with an AHL team.
still not seeing how they are going to end up with an echl team. they arent losing an ahl team, they asking them to go play somewhere else so they can have their own team. i dont like the idea of the pack staying when its clear they arent the future, how do you sell them on the fans - when the fans know youre replacing them asap?

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
An AHL source said Wednesday that MSG has talked with officials at the 3,005-seat Danbury Ice Arena, the former home of the disbanded United Hockey League's Trashers, and the 4,806-seat Glens Falls (N.Y.) Civic Center, where the AHL had a team in 1979-99 and UHL franchises until last season.
http://www.courant.com/sports/custom...-sports-custom

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 06:33 AM
alkurtz

Love the Danbury Ice Arena, Saw the UHL Trashers play there 24+ times in their two years of existence. Also read on the Trashers message board that MSG officials had visited.
But, the DIA is not up to AHL standards, it was barely up to UHL standards. It was not built as a rink for a team, but for the public to skate. It was upgraded when the Trashers came to town. Most of the seats are benches with no backs.
That being said, the fans are amazing and I pity any visiting team that has to sit with the intense fans in Section 102 right behind them, cursing up a storm of abuse. The atmosphere there is amazing and always reminded me of what hockey must be like in towns and small cities in Canada. The Trashers left a hole hard to fill. Its about a 30 minute or so ride across I-84 and down the Taconic and Saw Mill Parkways to the Ranger practice rink in Westchester.
The Trashers averaged at 2300 or so and an AHL team might fill the arena every night. That is still considerably below AHL standards. There no room for adding seats.
There is talk of a larger arena (5000 seating) being built off of exit 2 on I-84, but it is in the preliminary talking stage and years away, if ever.
I live right across the NY border in Putnam County and would absolutely attend many games if the Ranger's team were there. But honestly, if MSG officials seriously looked at the DIA, they would have no choice but to come away saying that it was not a serious alternative. Unless, of course, MSG wants to throw big bucks around at renovation.

Old
03-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Ola

Is Danbury in or close to NY, NY?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:13 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Is Danbury in or close to NY, NY?
about 70 miles N from mid town Manhattan, 1 1/2 car drive; from northern suburbs its obviously closer. Danbury Ice Arena could not house an AHL team, not enough parking and not enough seating; Danbury is not the greatest city in Ct.

nrf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
about 70 miles N from mid town Manhattan, 1 1/2 car drive; from northern suburbs its obviously closer. Danbury Ice Arena could not house an AHL team, not enough parking and not enough seating; Danbury is not the greatest city in Ct.
Thanks, the close the better IMO.

I think it would be perfect if the two teams could share the same practise facilitys, would bring everyone allot closer together.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
An AHL source said Wednesday that MSG has talked with officials at the 3,005-seat Danbury Ice Arena, the former home of the disbanded United Hockey League's Trashers, and the 4,806-seat Glens Falls (N.Y.) Civic Center, where the AHL had a team in 1979-99 and UHL franchises until last season.
I highly doubt the team will move to Glens Falls. The Albany River Rats struggle to bring in fans, and GF couldn't even muster the fans to support a very entertaining UHL team. The area is not particularly flush with income right now, so a higher ticket price won't help draw more fans. Add in the fact that the AHL might be unwilling to cannibalize another AHL team that's on life support, makes it highly unlikely. I see a LI or 5 boroughs future for the Pack. Any word from MSG on this subject?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 10:25 AM
alkurtz

Danbury is a really nice place. At one time it was a manufacturing city famous for its hats, When industry left, the city kind of languished until the 1970s when Interstate 84 was built through it and the Danbury Fair Mall opened. At one time, the mall was the largest in New England. Since then, Danbury has grown and in many ways become a typical American suburban style city. Population is, I believe, about 70000 but the surrounding area (including Carmel, Brewster and Mahopac in New York) is larger and typically suburban. High school hockey has always been big in the Danbury area. There is a MetroNorth stop and some people commute to NYC. Its easy to get to from the city by car, for example, the Hutchinson River Parkway to I-684, to I-84. You hit Danbury as soon as your crossover from NY State.

Old
03-29-2007, 11:00 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
its definitely on the small side and would be better suited for an ECHL team, but it could be used as a temporary home for a year or 2 if needed.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
94now

I play at Danbury Ice Arena every week. The location itself is near perfect being close to White Plains NYR facility, yet away from NYC and NJ to attract enough fans for steady attendance. DIA has two rinks called Liberty and Patriot. One of them could be made to sit 4000-4500. The DIA has large multilevel parking next to it. Thus parking is not a problem either (that is much more limiting factor than outdated sits). However, the locker rooms are too small even for adult league, so substantial investment would be required to bring them as well as other infrastructure to the AHL requirements.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
alkurtz

How about the lockers used by the Trashers and the visiting UHL teams? Are they the ones currently used by the adults leagues?
Agreed, parking is not a problem, having parked in the garage for Trasher games.
But, I don't see how the arena can be expanded. One goal end abuts the street, another the wall connecting to the other rink. One long wall was is completely full with bench seats, so there is no room there. The other sides lower level abuts the long windows of the main lobby so there is no room there. The seats above it, where the few boxes are, also allows no room for expansion. Plus, those seats are horrible, as the tier overhangs the ice and makes it impossible to see what is going on along the boards if you are seated a few rows back.
Again, don't get me wrong......I love the DIA, buts its a low minor league rink. Could it be a temporary home for a year of two until something else comes along? Now that is an interesting question.

Old
03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
94now

We don't know what the talk was about. May be Packs need place to practice while still playing in Hartford. The new owners might charge a lot for ice time at Civic Center. Danbury is not far away.
DIA can be modified for AHL team if so desired. If team stays long term the second rink could be eliminated in favor of expansion. This way 6000 sit place could be had. For short term you don't have to expand a lot to seat extra 1000 fans. Chairs cost money, but it is only 4500 of them. So quarter million would do it. Those locker rooms have no heat, forget about other amenities... The facility itself is new, just 5 years old, but it was meant to be a community oriented, so it is no way can be compared to Hartford arena .

http://www.danburyice.com/

Last edited by 94now: 03-29-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old
03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
alkurtz

Still don't see how this is possible. If you took out the benches and put in real seats it will actually decrease capacity as the seating on the benches was kind of scrunched together and seats take up more room.
As for canibalizing the second rink and putting seats in that end, I just don't see that happening.
Like with most suburban rinks, DIA is a busy place: youth games and clinics, high school games, small time college games, public skates. The arena was built so the people of Danbury could have a place to skate...the Trashers came later. Currently a really low (even lower than the UHL if you can believe it) minor league team, the Danbury Stars of the NEHL plays some games there. Have not gone to any of the games, because its not a real league..more like an organized pickup, beer league.
The UHL was (and is) real hockey: old-fashionned, hardcore, intense, competitive, lots of fights, with many guys who played major junior hockey, were in the ECHL or AHL and even the occasional player who briefly played in the NHL.
As much as I would love to see the Ranger AHL team in Danbury, I just can't picture it. I would love to be proven wrong. As with many Trasher fans, I feel wronged by the loss of the team after two exciting years. The Trashers played for the UHL championship last year (the Colonial Cup). Unfortunately, the owner of the team, the local trash company owner, has been arrested and in waiting trial for illegal activities connected to well, I guess Soprano like activities. He also illegally paid some players more than the UHL mandated cap, by giving them no show jobs in his company.
A shame, it was a fun two years. The Trashers kept me going during the lockout and even last year, with the Rangers back, I often went to see the Trashers rather than stay home and watch the Rangers on the tube.
Among the NHL players who played for Danbury: Brent Gretzky, Jeff Daw, Ryan Barnes, Stephen Peat, Mike Rupp, Blake Bellefieulle and a few others I can't recall.
Been reading the Trasher message boards, the local Danbury and Hartford papers daily, but all I get are rumors. Still think when all is said and done, the Pack stays in Hartford until a long term solution is developed.

Old
03-29-2007, 08:45 PM
alkurtz

Final thought on this for today. Could it be that the Rangers know that they are going to stay in Hartford and are flirting with Glens Falls and Danbury as a way to extort a lower lease rate from the new management team in Hartford?

Old
03-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Final thought on this for today. Could it be that the Rangers know that they are going to stay in Hartford and are flirting with Glens Falls and Danbury as a way to extort a lower lease rate from the new management team in Hartford?
I don't think Glens Falls could really draw the fans the team would need (as it is the river rats get a mediocre turn out - about the size of a family reunion) But the selfish side of me would like the pack to go there for my own personal enjoyment.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
"Now that we have a signed agreement ... we have the legal authority and can turn our attentions to negotiating an extension of the Wolf Pack's lease, keeping them in Hartford," said Chuck Coursey, a spokesman for Northland Investment Corp. "It's the Wolf Pack's call, but we would like them to stay."
Quote:
"We respect the CDA for its thorough evaluation process and are committed to ensuring that the transition is handled in a smooth and professional manner," said Marty Brooks, who runs the arena for MSG. As for the Wolf Pack, Brooks said, "We are currently evaluating our plans for the Wolf Pack and will comment on the team's future at the appropriate time."
http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...adlines-hockey

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2007, 09:25 AM
94now

Quote:
Possible. I think at this time Hartford is open for any team. Isles and Devils might consider that place as well, if they aren't happy where they are. By May 15 we will know who plays in Hartford.
I agree if Rangers decide to take over Danbury Ice Arena, they must invest in and possibly buy the place. I have mixed feeling about it, since it would end my Adult Hockey League (also AHL) in favor of real AHL. The community could loose the place that many like, so it may not by approved by city of Danbury. In other words everything looks like a long shot to me, but you never know. MSG is a money bag. They have little limitations, therefore.

Old
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
My choice would be teh Gwinnett Arena here in Northeast GA. Great, modern facility holds about 8-12,000. The Gwinnett Glads are there now, but it would be great they, the glads draw pretty well they are a ECHL team. That ever happens I would buy season tixs. The probelm would be 2 fold, the glads and the thrashers are only down the road.
I'm with you atlranger that would be sweet! The Gwinnett Arena is a great little arena. Although I agree that the distance to the big club wouldn't make it the best choice.

Where do you live in Ga? I'm right near Alpharetta. Lots of NYR fans here. At the game a few weeks ago there were plenty of Ranger jerseys.

Here's to hoping NYR's stay at 6 and the Thrashers stay at 3!! Ranger playoff hockey in the A-T-L.

Last edited by zestystrat: 03-30-2007 at 10:13 AM.
zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote