HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How good was Jeff Brown?

Old
06-02-2014, 06:08 PM
Sadekuuro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
really? i guess you'd know better than me. i just remember discussion of him finally turning into a decent contributor on defense. but then he was paired with lidstrom right?
Have to agree with jkrx; Schneider was never any good defensively. Even Rafalski (who also struggled defending top line forwards) was a notable step up as his replacement in Detroit because of his superior mobility.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
He seemed to be pretty good at clutching and grabbing
lol, I fully understand what you are saying here.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:59 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
I'm thinking Yandle might be a good current comparable.
Totally, he was Yandle on a contending team.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 12:06 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Lousy.

I thought him bad defensively in Quebec and booed him as a Canuck fan at Pacific Coliseum when I was in grad school. He was less creative than Lumme and less defensively-capable than Housley.

He was a risk taker and a liability. THAT is what I remember. Ugh.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 08:27 PM
MXD

Regardless of what you'll read here, he wasn't Matthieu Schneider.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Better than Kirk McLean.

06-05-2014, 01:48 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Brown was lethal on the PP here in St. Louis but not so much defense wise.

The Late Ron Caron made another foolish trade with the Canucks like he did 3 years prior trading the Blues entire 2nd line in 1991 ( G. Courtnall, Ronning, Momesso and Dirk) for Butcher and Dan "the not so mighty" Quinn. )

This time trading Jeff Brown, Bret Hedican and Nathan LaFayette to Vancouver Canucks for Craig Janney. And the reason for this asinine trade was to get back Janney after the Blues a week prior to the trade deadline in 1994, the Blues had lost Janney and a 2nd round pick in 1994 ( Scott Cherry) for compensation after the Blues signed Petr Nedved who was a Canucks holdout and played for the Canadian National Team and for Canada in the 94 Olympics.

So thanks to the Blues, that helped set up the core for the Canucks Cup run in 1994 that failed. Then the game changed with the implementation of the trap soon after the 1994-1995 lockout and guys like Brown were not as effective as they were before.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 06-05-2014 at 01:59 PM.
JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Better than Kirk McLean.
Is that even true? I assumed it was a load of crap like 9/10 of those stories, like Brindy/Lindros and Salo/Comrie.

On topic - I liked Jeff Brown alot. Thought he was fantastic to watch. Just flat out highly skilled.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:03 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Lousy.

I thought him bad defensively in Quebec and booed him as a Canuck fan at Pacific Coliseum when I was in grad school. He was less creative than Lumme and less defensively-capable than Housley.

He was a risk taker and a liability. THAT is what I remember. Ugh.
Thank you.

For a minute I was afraid I was the only one who remembers how bad he was in his own end. And incredibly lazy and unwilling to listen to his coaches or teammates. He was also pretty arrogant.

We are talking about a defenseman who often did not backcheck here.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:25 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post
Is that even true? I assumed it was a load of crap like 9/10 of those stories, like Brindy/Lindros and Salo/Comrie.
I've never seen any proof. I think the only case we can say is true is Shanahan/Janney since Shanny has since married her.

I liked Brown, watching him zip around for the Whalers was a highlight.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:42 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadows View Post
And incredibly lazy and unwilling to listen to his coaches or teammates. He was also pretty arrogant.
How was he arrogant and what coaches and teammates didn't he listen to?

Only curious.

Quote:
We are talking about a defenseman who often did not backcheck here.
You don't need to backcheck if you're in the right position. Ever seen Lidström backcheck?

the edler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
How was he arrogant and what coaches and teammates didn't he listen to?

Only curious.

You don't need to backcheck if you're in the right position. Ever seen Lidström backcheck?
In Quebec, he didn't listen to anybody.

When I say did not backcheck, I mean he would play like a forward and then drift back towards his end last. He would actually stop and snarl and chirp at his own bench when they were trying to get his feet moving faster into his own zone. He would play the puck and not the man to the point of it being a fault. In fact, he would rationalize it by saying he did not think it was worth taking a penalty

Ill give him this, he was a gifted powerplay player.

His arrogance to me usually involved having to listen to him talk about himself like he was a franchise defenseman with Gretzky like hockey sense and play the blame game. Often he would blame the goalie for not making a save when it was all his fault defensively. Often he would also give the puck away and blame his teammate for not being in the spot he anticipated.

Not a lot of people liked him. He was a cancer in Quebec. And boy did he enjoy his fame. He would show up in front of a camera in these awful "fashionable" clothes and was heavy into the nightlife.

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Jinsell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post

On topic - I liked Jeff Brown alot. Thought he was fantastic to watch. Just flat out highly skilled.
I don't think it's true at all. McLean has called the story a croc of you-know-what. He and Jeff Brown were on friendly terms the last two times I saw them in Vancouver during the 2011 Cup run and the 2014 Heritage Classic. Even though McLean is divorced now, I don't know how two guys could be on friendly terms after one committed adultery with the other's spouse.

It's always been my understanding that Brown had major issues with Pat Quinn's successor Rick Ley. He also didn't help himself by publicly lambasting the organization for taking so long to resign Trevor Linden.

As was said, he wasn't the most highly regarded teammate and when the Canucks acquired him in March 1994 it was initially not received favourably by the press or the fanbase.

Regardless, he added a lot to the Canucks power play, which even then had a reputation for being totally ineffective. When he departed, it became clear that what he brought he was sorely missed. Vancouver was never really able to replace him.

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:32 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Steve Duchesne-ish? Hall of "Very Good". Nothing wrong with that. I agree that he shouldn't be your best defenseman, he was never even mentioned for the Norris, but I would describe him as a wonderful skater.
Hall of very good, if about 500-600 players belong in the hall of very good. I don't think most people have a personal HOVG that large, though.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:33 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinsell View Post
I don't think it's true at all. McLean has called the story a croc of you-know-what. He and Jeff Brown were on friendly terms the last two times I saw them in Vancouver during the 2011 Cup run and the 2014 Heritage Classic. Even though McLean is divorced now, I don't know how two guys could be on friendly terms after one committed adultery with the other's spouse.

It's always been my understanding that Brown had major issues with Pat Quinn's successor Rick Ley. He also didn't help himself by publicly lambasting the organization for taking so long to resign Trevor Linden.

As was said, he wasn't the most highly regarded teammate and when the Canucks acquired him in March 1994 it was initially not received favourably by the press or the fanbase.

Regardless, he added a lot to the Canucks power play, which even then had a reputation for being totally ineffective. When he departed, it became clear that what he brought he was sorely missed. Vancouver was never really able to replace him.
i have no idea about gis and mclean's personal matters, but one thing that might give the rumours credence is that carolina traded brown days after acquiring mclean and gelinas from vancouver.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
He was ok, remember him for a spell with the Nordiques. Had good mustard offensively but was pure mayonnaise defensively. Above average skater. Not someone you'd have a hard time replacing and he wore out his welcome in QC as well.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote