HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things NYC - Part II

Old
06-06-2014, 12:35 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50

geezus - usually you have to line up at 6 am to get regular cronuts, I don't see how anyone is gonna be able to score those ranger cronuts

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 04:02 AM
petejudge

vCash: 500
Oh wow, I was in the neighborhood of that just two hours ago. Would have legitimately camped outside to buy one for myself and a couple extra to re-sell. Have heard from some friends that if you go early enough to get a regular cronut you can put it on craigslist and sell it for $30-40 to someone who works in a nearby office

petejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 04:20 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

geezus - usually you have to line up at 6 am to get regular cronuts, I don't see how anyone is gonna be able to score those ranger cronuts
it's pouring outside, so i think i'll have some luck today. i'm leaving my house to catch a train in 30 minutes.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 08:21 AM
thechrisformatNYR

Was hoping I could get some thoughts from any regulars around here... I'm taking a train up from Philly to the game tonight into Penn Station. Are there ample signs to get me from the trains to the Garden? I've never been to the Penn Station part before. Sorry for the tourist-y question and thanks for any insight!

thechrisformatNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:01 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechrisformatNYR View Post
Was hoping I could get some thoughts from any regulars around here... I'm taking a train up from Philly to the game tonight into Penn Station. Are there ample signs to get me from the trains to the Garden? I've never been to the Penn Station part before. Sorry for the tourist-y question and thanks for any insight!
there are signs inside of Penn Station directing you towards MSG. if anything, you can just ask a cop for directions, as there will be plenty down there. just look up.

FultonReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:57 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
I wouldn't rely on any signs to find your way. You really have to know where you're going to get there the fastest. The easiest way for a total newbie would be to just make your way above ground to the main exit on 7th avenue @ 32nd street, and then walk in the main hall above ground (can't miss it)

The quickest way is the escalators in the hallway next to the ticket booths, and then the stairs from those escalators immediately to your right

Old
06-09-2014, 03:40 PM
thechrisformatNYR

Quote:
I wouldn't rely on any signs to find your way. You really have to know where you're going to get there the fastest. The easiest way for a total newbie would be to just make your way above ground to the main exit on 7th avenue @ 32nd street, and then walk in the main hall above ground (can't miss it)

The quickest way is the escalators in the hallway next to the ticket booths, and then the stairs from those escalators immediately to your right
Thanks... any estimate on how long it takes to get back down from your seats in 413? Only train home leaves at 11:15 (really hoping for no OT tonight).

thechrisformatNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:46 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Thanks... any estimate on how long it takes to get back down from your seats in 413? Only train home leaves at 11:15 (really hoping for no OT tonight).
You're gonna have a real hard time getting to that train if you plan on seeing the whole game. I'd just jump on a MegaBus or something if I were you

Old
06-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
All you need to do is follow the people wearing Ranger stuff.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

I got a Yankees question, i'm planning on driving down for a Sunday game, and just wondering how easy it easy to find parking, and/or training it in from somewhere north of there.

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:15 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:

Coming to NYC next week. Thinking of checking this place out. I saw one write up where they had some killer sandwiches but their web page only shows pastry items. Anyone know if they offer sandwiches? $12.00... lol.

Any other recommendations for Manhatten eats? Not looking to break the bank with high ends restaurants. Going to Katzs too which is around there.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:18 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Coming to NYC next week. Thinking of checking this place out. I saw one write up where they had some killer sandwiches but their web page only shows pastry items. Anyone know if they offer sandwiches? $12.00... lol.

Any other recommendations for Manhatten eats? Not looking to break the bank with high ends restaurants. Going to Katzs too which is around there.
Katz's? You'll be paying AT LEAST $12 for a sandwhich there.

The Ansel place is for pastries, it's a French chef from one of NYC's top restaurants who started his own shop. It's known for Cronuts and nothing else, although I'm sure you can find whatever delicious high end pastries you want if that's what you're looking for

Old
06-20-2014, 10:32 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Yeah Katzs is pricey but you cant find that anywhere else. Go there every time when I come to NYC. All the deils in Manhatten are expensive. Prices for Mid-town is nuts. Handcarved pastrami with all the fatty goodness. Its not like Im eating it on any regular basis.

Saw this write up so thats why I asked about sandwiches at Ansel Bakery.

Old
06-20-2014, 10:41 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Yeah Katzs is pricey but you cant find that anywhere else. Go there every time when I come to NYC. All the deils in Manhatten are expensive. Prices for Mid-town is nuts. Handcarved pastrami with all the fatty goodness. Its not like Im eating it on any regular basis.

Saw this write up so thats why I asked about sandwiches at Ansel Bakery.
Looks tasty, but beware people line up starting at 7:00 am to get in there, and often people are paid to stand in line for them

Old
06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Ok just called Ansel. Sandwiches are not on the web menu but they have the Roast Pork and others. Lunch is 12-4.

Old
06-20-2014, 02:15 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Ok just called Ansel. Sandwiches are not on the web menu but they have the Roast Pork and others. Lunch is 12-4.
Nothing but good things to say about Dominque Ansel bakery. Cronuts aren't that great despite the hype. But you don't need to get there at 7 anymore, I've seen them still available by 10AM. And the easiest way is to pre-order:

http://cronutpreorder.com/products-page/cronuts/cronut/

Everything there is especially well done, madelines are made to order and the DKA is what I would recommend to anyone over the cronut. Of all overpriced Manhattan spots, I have zero complaints about the pricing and options available there.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:18 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Nothing but good things to say about Dominque Ansel bakery. Cronuts aren't that great despite the hype. But you don't need to get there at 7 anymore, I've seen them still available by 10AM. And the easiest way is to pre-order:

http://cronutpreorder.com/products-page/cronuts/cronut/

Everything there is especially well done, madelines are made to order and the DKA is what I would recommend to anyone over the cronut. Of all overpriced Manhattan spots, I have zero complaints about the pricing and options available there.
Solid info. Appreciated.

Possibly looking at trying to A Salt & Battery (fish and chips). Web site says recently switched from Cod to domestic Pollack though.

Old
06-21-2014, 01:18 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Solid info. Appreciated.

Possibly looking at trying to A Salt & Battery (fish and chips). Web site says recently switched from Cod to domestic Pollack though.
At A Salt & Battery, get the fried mars bar, and that's an order.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

After doing the Long Island to Manhattan commute for a little over 5 months now (full-time, 7 months three times a week before that), any rent in Manhattan that's about $1000/month is looking mighty friendly

Been doing a *little* scoping. Mostly for "fun", mostly to see what I'm actually going to have to deal with when I do decide to move out here. Upper east side looks the most rent friendly. Can find a 2 bedroom around there TODAY for $2000/month total. Find a friend to split that with. Better yet, find a friend with a girlfriend and see if they'll split the rent three ways

Pipe dreams for now, still. Gotta save up. Re-evaluate in 7 months when I hit a year full-time.

Ugh.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 01:42 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

You cannot get a real 2 bedroom on the UES for 2K. Only if by UES they mean Spanish Harlem

Old
06-25-2014, 03:02 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
You cannot get a real 2 bedroom on the UES for 2K. Only if by UES they mean Spanish Harlem
Really? I must be seeing some false listings then. Which I suppose is going to happen.

I've been looking here:

http://www.nakedapartments.com/

Old
06-25-2014, 03:18 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Really? I must be seeing some false listings then. Which I suppose is going to happen.

I've been looking here:

http://www.nakedapartments.com/
If you're serious about getting a place, you'll understand the reality as soon as you start seeing actually available places. The average rent for a 2 bedroom on the UES in a non-doorman building as of May this year was $3317/month:

http://www.mns.com/manhattan_rental_market_report

Old
06-25-2014, 03:21 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
If you're serious about getting a place, you'll understand the reality as soon as you start seeing actually available places. The average rent for a 2 bedroom on the UES in a non-doorman building as of May this year was $3317/month:

http://www.mns.com/manhattan_rental_market_report
I hate this place

So a listing like this, completely full of ****?

http://www.nakedapartments.com/apart...-10065-JLnpglk

Old
06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I hate this place

So a listing like this, completely full of ****?

http://www.nakedapartments.com/apart...-10065-JLnpglk
No chance is that legit.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2014, 03:43 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
No chance is that legit.
That's ****ing weak sauce.