HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Seperated Shoulder

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2014, 11:23 PM
  #1
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Seperated Shoulder

I got trucked into the boards Sunday before last and suffered a 2nd degree shoulder separation and am trying to figure out what I am looking at in terms of recovery. Does anyone have any experience or advice about recovery time, rehab exercises, and equipment recommendations that might reduce the chances for future injury (i.e. how much do beefier shoulder pads help)?

The orthopedist I saw basically told me to take it easy and let pain be my guide through the recovery, but I have heard of other guys who have had PT and stretching regiments prescribed.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 01:06 AM
  #2
PS12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
I ran my shoulder into the boards late march. I couldnt do a single pull up without pain in my left shoulder. Today i can do one but its a far cry from being able to do 10-15 pull ups per set that i was doing before i injured it.

Listen to your shoulder like the doc said. I foolishly still played and taking face offs sucked when i used my left hand to draw. I had to use my right hand as the lower hand on face offs.

Some actions hurt more than others. Couldnt sleep on my left side for weeks and thats the side i like to sleep on.

What you need is time. Ive worked on strengthening the shoulder with excercise that didnt hurt. I could do some rows. Some rotator cuff exercises but nothing that involved a pullup.

So yeah. Listen to your body and try not to overdo it.

I believe in nutrition. Look up bone soup. Its a staple in my diet. Likewise fresh fruits and vegetables.

I too am looking to upgrade my shoulder pads. Id like to get my hands on eq50s but i might look into the new hsx from easton. Nexus 1000 or the new nexus 8000 has potential.

I play in a non check league but being 5 foot 4 and faster than most... Some reason i tend to get hit a lot.

PS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 10:40 AM
  #3
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
I had a 2nd degree separation just under two years ago and I still have problems with it. Listen to what your doctor says and do the PT. I think if I had done the PT as required I would be in better shape now.

I still have trouble sleeping on my left shoulder and if I don't use it, it seems to get worse. I took about 4 weeks off from playing which in retrospect was probably too short. Incidental contact will happen and it always stings. The thing that really got me was falling directly on the shoulder or elbow on the ice. One of those would set me back weeks. I'm sure better pads will help for some contact but it's no silver bullet.

I iced my shoulder after every game/practice for over a year and that seemed to help a lot. Being over 40 also plays into the slow recovery and everything seems to take longer to heal these days.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 10:47 AM
  #4
moreoutdoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Coast CA
Country: United States
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
separation or dislocation?
separation is the stretching/tearing of the ligament which links the clavicle to the scapula, dislocation is humerus from socket.
time = dependenz...
shoulder separation doesn't likely 'repair', it usually stays at the level of the injury - pain does go away - to repair a separation is usually a surgury thing...
dislocation - dependenz - there can be some recovery, but again ligaments are stretched... so never quite the same as before...
recovery - my last one, 18 months ago - 'dislocation' on the right side - which is under the influence of a 'separation' - took 4 months to reach over head and scratch other ear... i started playin pickup again 5 months ago...
I prolly could have started again sooner, but then I'm a geezer now and playin against kids in their 20's and 30's has me being a little cautious on 're-entry'#2.
I have been working on strengthening the upper body, but prolly should have the separation repaired...
I use a McDavid shoulder harness when I now play... help? not sure, no injuries yet, but that may just be a matter of time...
hopin it all holds together soz I can at least reach the 70s and still knock the biscuit around

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 11:15 AM
  #5
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Time View Post
I had a 2nd degree separation just under two years ago and I still have problems with it. Listen to what your doctor says and do the PT. I think if I had done the PT as required I would be in better shape now.

I still have trouble sleeping on my left shoulder and if I don't use it, it seems to get worse. I took about 4 weeks off from playing which in retrospect was probably too short. Incidental contact will happen and it always stings. The thing that really got me was falling directly on the shoulder or elbow on the ice. One of those would set me back weeks. I'm sure better pads will help for some contact but it's no silver bullet.

I iced my shoulder after every game/practice for over a year and that seemed to help a lot. Being over 40 also plays into the slow recovery and everything seems to take longer to heal these days.

Good luck and I wish you a speedy recovery.
What were you given as PT? I know some doctors prescribe it, but mine did not and I'm curious as to what it involved.

I just turned 44 (but still have not convinced myself I am no longer 28 ;-), so I appreciate what you guys are saying on the slower recovery time.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 02:08 PM
  #6
mbhhofr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
I'm going back to 1964. I hurt my left shoulder in a pickup game. Woke up during the night in severe pain. I went to work and couldn't lift my arm at all. I called a Trainer for one of the hockey teams, Billie Hughes, who is now in the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame and told him about it. He had me come over to his house at lunch time and felt around the shoulder. He said that I had a dislocation. He had me extend my arm out to my side and then swing it around to where the palm of my hand was at the middle of my chest. All the while, he was manipulating my shoulder and put it back in place. He then had me keep the position I was in and taped the shoulder. He told me to keep the tape on for two weeks. I did and I have never had a problem with my shoulder since.

Billie was so good at what he did, I called him Magic Fingers. One bit of advice that he gave me was, "Never let them stick a needle in any of your joints."

http://www.halloffame.mb.ca/honoured...m=Alphabetical

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 03:11 PM
  #7
Islespuck89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
I am a non medical expert on shoulders. Dislocated the left one 5x and hurt the rotator cuff in the right. Assuming you didn't slightly tear or stretch your labrum (only a MRI would show that) you probably need 8-10 weeks to heal up. If you damaged the labrum ( what holds your shoulder in place) then your talking 4-6 months to heal.

I went to PT best decision I ever made If I went from the start dislocations 2-4 might of never happened, #5 was just me being dumb and jet skiing 10 days after #4.

I have been wearing a brace for 5 years now. It's made for motocross it keeps your shoulder in place w/o restricting any motions for hockey, I also use it for softball. It will restrict your breathing ever so slightly at first once you wear it 2-3x you will figure out how tight to make it and so forth and then it's fine.

Below is a link to the EVS sb03 they have a sb04 and sb05 now. I think my new one is a 04 after 4 years the 1st one's velcro went. I have been rocked in my bad shoulder and it didn't even budge with this brace.

http://www.amazon.com/EVS-Sports-Sho...words=evs+sb03

I did buy a pair of Easton shoulder pads that "claims: to deflect energy away from the shoulder joint. This was done cause I needed a new pair anyways and they where a cheap pair maybe $60 on clearance.


These are 2 very basic and beginner exercises I did at PT.
google "crawl the wall exercise"
take a small ball maybe a mini basketball a softball extend you arm hold it against a wall and do small circles.
Get a a set of therabands and look up shoulder exercises, 85% of what I did in PT involved these bands you can get a set at Walmart for $12


Last edited by Islespuck89: 06-11-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Islespuck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 03:53 PM
  #8
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,951
vCash: 500
Treatment and Rehab

One of the keys is getting sport qualified treatment and rehab.

The specialists you see may be elite but if they are not involved with athlètes they may not have the background with sports injuries that professionals with an athletic focused practice do.

This makes a tremendous difference.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 06:49 PM
  #9
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
One of the keys is getting sport qualified treatment and rehab.

The specialists you see may be elite but if they are not involved with athlètes they may not have the background with sports injuries that professionals with an athletic focused practice do.

This makes a tremendous difference.
That is in part what is so interesting about this as the orthpedist I saw is a team doctor for a local NFL team, but did not recommend PT when I asked him specifically about it.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 11:03 AM
  #10
buddhaknows
Registered User
 
buddhaknows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Country: United States
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Shoulder separation is a painful and annoying injury that is easily re-injured. My ortho is an AHL and College Hockey orthopedic. In the last three years I have broken my ankle, strained my hip flexor creating annoying knee pain, and separated my shoulder (2nd degree) with an infraspinatus tear. Every injury I've received has been treated by my doctor with physical therapy. She has also used a cortisone patch for my knee. Her treatment has been 100% successful with PT and mild cortisone patch therapy. I'm really surprised your doctor didn't recommend PT especially for a 2nd degree shoulder separation. A 2nd degree injury usually results in a tear to a tendon in the joint. I'd seek another consult with the doctor or see another doc all together.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 04:27 PM
  #11
Canadiens1958
Registered User
 
Canadiens1958's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,951
vCash: 500
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
That is in part what is so interesting about this as the orthpedist I saw is a team doctor for a local NFL team, but did not recommend PT when I asked him specifically about it.
Certain types of shoulder separations just require rest and time.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 05:55 PM
  #12
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
What were you given as PT? I know some doctors prescribe it, but mine did not and I'm curious as to what it involved.

I just turned 44 (but still have not convinced myself I am no longer 28 ;-), so I appreciate what you guys are saying on the slower recovery time.
I was given a prescription for PT but did not make the appt due to cost. I researched some online and they are similar to ones posted in this thread. I just did not stick with it and I wish I had.

I tore up my bicep tendon years earlier and did 12 weeks of PT and much of it was designed to strengthen my shoulder. The results were really good.

If your insurance supports it, I would look into it.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:17 AM
  #13
Bcap88
;)
 
Bcap88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
I got trucked into the boards Sunday before last and suffered a 2nd degree shoulder separation and am trying to figure out what I am looking at in terms of recovery. Does anyone have any experience or advice about recovery time, rehab exercises, and equipment recommendations that might reduce the chances for future injury (i.e. how much do beefier shoulder pads help)?

The orthopedist I saw basically told me to take it easy and let pain be my guide through the recovery, but I have heard of other guys who have had PT and stretching regiments prescribed.
Separated my left shoulder twice. Have a nice little bump on the top of it that will never go away. The firs time I did it was during spring football camp missed all of camp which was about 4 weeks long. Eventually it took me about 6 weeks for it to feel normal. I recommend Ice Ice Ice for the first two weeks. Don't sleep on it or lay on it at all. After about a week 1/2 I would start some range of motion things such as sliding your arm up and down a wall in a verticle motion go to the point of pain but not total discomfort as you progress try bringing your palm off the wall. Do side shoulder raises also. As the range of motion gets better work your way into a push up. Work on range of motion for the first couple weeks. When you feel comfortable add weight bearing exercise. You are looking at about a 4 week recovery time. 6 weeks mostly likely 100 percent pain free.

Bcap88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2014, 09:46 PM
  #14
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
I figured I would post back up in case someone else runs into this. It is 5.5 weeks post-injury and have probably 80% of the range of motion back. At the advice of the folks here, I sought out someone who walked me through exercises to start regaining range of motion at week 4. I started adding some light resistance last weekend and am getting back onto the ice tonight for the first time (it hurt to breath deeply for the first month). My plan is to be back playing around week 8.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:46 AM
  #15
Malarowski
Registered User
 
Malarowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
I figured I would post back up in case someone else runs into this. It is 5.5 weeks post-injury and have probably 80% of the range of motion back. At the advice of the folks here, I sought out someone who walked me through exercises to start regaining range of motion at week 4. I started adding some light resistance last weekend and am getting back onto the ice tonight for the first time (it hurt to breath deeply for the first month). My plan is to be back playing around week 8.
Make sure you take your time to heal it. The worst thing is to get back in (and I know it's hard waiting after 11 weeks of broken clavicle) at 95% and tear it all up again back to zero where another week could have meant 100%.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:30 AM
  #16
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 397
My advice is start physical therapy ASAP.

I hurt my shoulder in January and it is 6 months later and am still having problems with it. Went to see a doctor last week and I have some tears that can use surgery but unfortunately I don't have the time or money to do it. I start PT this week but there is already a large amount of scar tissue formed. Wish I would have started PT much earlier but I kept thinking it was no big deal and would heal on its own.

__________________
Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:31 AM
  #17
Oak
Hockey Connoisseur
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,610
vCash: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Make sure you take your time to heal it. The worst thing is to get back in (and I know it's hard waiting after 11 weeks of broken clavicle) at 95% and tear it all up again back to zero where another week could have meant 100%.
I agree with this man. I really would take more time away from hockey if I was you. Reinjuring it will make things much, much worse.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 09:35 AM
  #18
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,015
vCash: 500
For a separation I would definitely follow a PT program. Everyone I've talked to has eventually needed surgery to fix it though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 12:09 PM
  #19
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For a separation I would definitely follow a PT program. Everyone I've talked to has eventually needed surgery to fix it though.
That is interesting. The doc I went to said about 10% of grade 3 seperations need surgery but basically 0% of grade 2's (my affliction) need surgery. This is definately a slower healing injury than I was led to believe, and I have basically written off the rest of this season.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.