HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL GDT: New York Rangers @ Boston Bruins, 3/24/07 1 PM

Old
03-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilvikingRangerFan View Post
It's not the checking line that's keeping them from being cup contenders. It's their lack of a top center.
To be honest, I think the 1st line center on this team is one of few who really are playing on par with what you would expect from that position on a great team.

Though, yes, he aren't Joe Thornton, Sid Crosby, Peter Forsberg or Vinny L, so I could understand what you where talking about, if you didn't have that "dump Nylander" line below you avatar...

Dumping him won't exactly bring us Sid Crosby, right?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:08 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Your count keeps on changing. So when guys come back like Hossa, would you rather bench Prucha/Callahan in favor of Hollweg?
I'd rather bench Orr.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
It's not the checking line that's keeping them from being cup contenders. It's their lack of a top center.
Yes, we need that too. And no one's saying that we hate the checking line. They're doing a great job for us right now.

But what we are saying is that we see the 4th line players getting upgraded over the next year or so as the Rangers continue to hopefully progress to the top echelon of the league.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Zil

Quote:
Your count keeps on changing. So when guys come back like Hossa, would you rather bench Prucha/Callahan in favor of Hollweg?
Ummmm.... what?
Hossa - Nylander - Jagr
Callahan - Avery - Shanahan
Prucha - Cullen/Straka - Cullen/Straka
Hollweg - Betts - Ortmeyer

I bench Orr

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I'd rather bench Orr.
True atleast Hollweg could keep up with those guys. It depends, I guess, if the playoff series(assuming here) gets nasty I think you may even have to think about sitting Betts.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
To be honest, I think the 1st line center on this team is one of few who really are playing on par with what you would expect from that position on a great team.

Though, yes, he aren't Joe Thornton, Sid Crosby, Peter Forsberg or Vinny L, so I could understand what you where talking about, if you didn't have that "dump Nylander" line below you avatar...

Dumping him won't exactly bring us Sid Crosby, right?
My problem with Nylander is his horrible decision making. He's just plain bad in the defensive zone. He plays around with the puck in front of his own net sometimes, which is just dumb. His refusal to shoot from the slot is also irritating. Also, I want to open up center spots for Dubinsky and Immonen (who I still think hasn't gotten a real chance in the NHL).

Old
03-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Zil

Quote:
True atleast Hollweg could keep up with those guys. It depends, I guess, if the playoff series(assuming here) gets nasty I think you may even have to think about sitting Betts.
You can't bench Betts, then who will win key defensive faceoffs?

Old
03-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
I'd rather bench Orr.
With fighting not around in the playoffs it only makes sense to bench orr...

On to todays game...

I think the Rangers played at the level of the Bruins...They almost got burned for it but the good news is they got the two points..

I would like to see Avery and Straka flip flopped tomorrow against the Islanders but I doubt Renney does that...

We also saw today why Prucha isn't played in overtime...

I'm sure Callahans minutes were an issue to some (I honestly haven't read through the thread) the thing is Callahan didn't get much power play time and doesn't kill penalties...With all the special teams his minutes actually make sense...

I still can't believe anybody called this game a gimmie....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:53 PM
RFAN

Quote:
You're right, you can't take Betts out of the lineup this year. However, as nerve racking as Nylander is with the puck, for the most part he gets it out of the zone. I'd rather him than Malik, who is by far worse with the puck. I thought today Malik had his worst game as a Ranger, he was just plain clueless at times today. There was one point in the third when Malik had the puck and Nylander skated over and just took it from him and skated out off the zone and all I could think was thank god some who can handle the pill has it.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:13 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Agreed. And he's not only our best faceoff man, but one of our top 2 PKers as well.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:24 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Agreed. And he's not only our best faceoff man, but one of our top 2 PKers as well.
Id rather have cullen out for the draw. and he's not second. Orts, Cullen, Shanny, then maybe betts

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
maaaaaaan, that game was awesome. my one in-person Rangers game of the year. I was glad to see Callahan and Girardi play, I miss seeing them here in Hartford.

Jarkko Immonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
You're right, you can't take Betts out of the lineup this year. However, as nerve racking as Nylander is with the puck, for the most part he gets it out of the zone. I'd rather him than Malik, who is by far worse with the puck. I thought today Malik had his worst game as a Ranger, he was just plain clueless at times today. There was one point in the third when Malik had the puck and Nylander skated over and just took it from him and skated out off the zone and all I could think was thank god some who can handle the pill has it.
Amen brother. I try really hard to not be a Malik hater (most likely because people say I look like him. Some woman at a game while he was injured asked my friend who I was sitting with if I was him), but man is he bad. He makes the occasional good pinch, and his big body does good in front of Henrik's net more often then it does bad, but his non-chalance on the breakout is infuriating. He is here to stay though.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
The big problem I got with removing Holly, is that we got like 4 guys on the roster who never hits, Straka, Nylander, Jagr and Cullen. We got 3 guys who will finnish some hits, but never will do any (good kind of) damage, Shanahan, Betts and Hossa. We got 3 guys who will finnish just about every hit, and are good hitters, but who are really light, Avery, Cally and Prucha, we got Orr who is to slow to catch anyone.

That just about leaves us with Orts and Holly as the only 2 forwards on our team that can land solid hits on slightly bigger players. We also don't got anyone on the blueline who will do any damage.

As much as we praise our kids, which they deserve, this is a example of how they in some aspects are kind of hard getting into the lineup. Dubinsky is a bit to slow to be a big hitter, he aren't stressing D's fast enough, but he got potential. But other then him, we really don't got anyone who is on the verge and even remotely could replace Hollys hitting. The other 2 forwards we recently have brought up are on the small side.

Hitting is really important in the game. Especially to put pressure on the D's on the other team, in particular if the other team got a great puckmoving D. Thats a aspect we could improve allot, and not one we can completly devalue by taking out Holly.

The same with Orr, we doesn't got the team toughness to go without Orr. There are allot of teams in this league who aren't carrying a enforcer, but we have to against allot of teams.

Thoose aspects handcuffs Renney's options pretty much.

Why in the world is Orr treated so badly on here? I have season and see him play a lot and never does he look slower then a AVG skater. He has been great is a plus player and to be honest I think Hollweg takes runs at guys and is out of position more by doing so then Orr who only goes North and South . No matter how well this kid plays you people jump on him and it sucks. He wins fights and you guys call for a ban on fighting he plays north south and isn't caught out of position and you complain cause he is Guy Laufler

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Betts would NOT sit. If there were really fights breaking out, you bench Hollweg. Betts is FAR FAR FAR too valuable on the PK.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 07:06 PM
NYROrtsFan

Betts isnt sitting.. He's too valuable with not only the faceoffs, but on the PK and can occasionally put up an excellent game by even chipping in a goal.

Orr will sit.. Fighting just doesnt happen much at all in the playoffs and there is little need for him. He may play like 1 game, but that is if the Rangers are just taking it on the chin for a couple. Also, Hossa has to be back at 100% to be effective. I think he's really turned the corner, but he has to be at his best to be a good player.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Why in the world is Orr treated so badly on here? I have season and see him play a lot and never does he look slower then a AVG skater. He has been great is a plus player and to be honest I think Hollweg takes runs at guys and is out of position more by doing so then Orr who only goes North and South . No matter how well this kid plays you people jump on him and it sucks. He wins fights and you guys call for a ban on fighting he plays north south and isn't caught out of position and you complain cause he is Guy Laufler
Nah, he is slower then the avg skater, thats for sure, maybe not slower then the avg goon, but who is avg skater these days, Betts?

Though, its not that I think Orr is awful, I don't think he is even close to beeing a avg player, but he is starting to hold on. But, compare him with a Jason Ward and he aren't even close in terms of skill.

But that wasn't my point, he just aren't landing many hits. Lets say we are playing Toronto in the PO's, Kaberle takes care of every transition play for them, who is gooing to hit Kaberle? Who is gooing to wear him down during the series?

Atleast having Holly on the ice, the D's on the other team have to be somewhat concerned.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 07:42 PM
NYROrtsFan

Actually i think Betts is pretty quick. But understand what you mean.

Orr does usually get a couple nice hits a game though so I dont think it is fair to give him no credit as a hitter. He's not Hollweg, but he can hit.

And the fighting ability goes for something. I think Renney is right in that it allows guys like Avery and others do their thing even better.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 08:40 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
Id rather have cullen out for the draw. and he's not second. Orts, Cullen, Shanny, then maybe betts
I think you're in the minority on that one. Orts I agree with, but Cullen and Shanny are NOT better than Betts on the PK.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 08:43 PM
NYRMatt

Betts and Shanahan are our best PKers (as well as Hossa when he was not injured)

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 08:59 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal_NYR View Post
Betts and Shanahan are our best PKers (as well as Hossa when he was not injured)
Orts and Betts are the best. Shanny is alright but he can and should be replaced with someone else.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 09:55 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Nice gesture by Renney

From the tsn.ca writeup on the game:

Quote:
Rangers coach Tom Renney interrupted his post-game talk with reporters to offer his best wishes to Bruins forward Phil Kessel, who is recovering from testicular cancer.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
Lundqvist is the best player in the world right now.

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 10:54 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
From the tsn.ca writeup on the game:
As much of a anti-Renney poster I am....I will always say that Renney is one of the most classiest coaches in the NHL. The guy is pure class.

Heck...when I saw him say **** You! to that Pen player after the goal i was shocked...I never would have thought Renney would even say that, lol.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:10 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
As much of a anti-Renney poster I am....I will always say that Renney is one of the most classiest coaches in the NHL. The guy is pure class.

Heck...when I saw him say **** You! to that Pen player after the goal i was shocked...I never would have thought Renney would even say that, lol.
I'm with you 100%. I've expressed my fair share of criticism of Renney's coaching over the course of the past season, but one thing I can't deny is the fact that he is a class act. Especially with some of the things other coaches in the NHL have done or said over the past two seasons, Renney just stands out as a true professional.

And I was shocked by his outburst in the Pit game as well. It was very out of character for a guy like Renney. I really want to know what was said or done by the player, just because Renney seems so hard to rattle.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote