HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gainey has contacted Corson

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2004, 09:18 AM
felixd

vCash: 500
He could help us, but he would have to put his ego aside, and I'm not sure he could do that.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Joe Cole

Corson- set to make return- had meeting with BG- comments?

According to Mitch Melnick and confirmed by Pierre McGuire, Shayne Corson has been working out hard, has his health in check and his agent has spoken to 4 GM's.

Philly
Rangers (a guess)
Habs
mystery team.

So, what are your opinions of Corson on Koivu's wing....that is the spot he would take. Is he the physical dimension we need?

My 2 cents, I am not a Corson supporter. He is a not that physical, and he sure as heck ain't a scorer. He is an aggitator, that I give him.

The fact that he crapped out on his team and "retired" while they were in the playoffs, "as not to distract them" was a purely egotistical move in my eyes. Why not wait a week until they are eliminated, then retire. No...Shayne needs the "face time" on the sports news. There might be more to that story that we do not know, but I can't see what would excuse him.

His days as being a top flight power forward are over.

Then again, we do not have to give up anyone to get him.....

Your thoughts?

Old
02-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Sonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
According to Mitch Melnick and confirmed by Pierre McGuire, Shayne Corson has been working out hard, has his health in check and his agent has spoken to 4 GM's.

Philly
Rangers (a guess)
Habs
mystery team.

So, what are your opinions of Corson on Koivu's wing....that is the spot he would take. Is he the physical dimension we need?

My 2 cents, I am not a Corson supporter. He is a not that physical, and he sure as heck ain't a scorer. He is an aggitator, that I give him.

The fact that he crapped out on his team and "retired" while they were in the playoffs, "as not to distract them" was a purely egotistical move in my eyes. Why not wait a week until they are eliminated, then retire. No...Shayne needs the "face time" on the sports news. There might be more to that story that we do not know, but I can't see what would excuse him.

His days as being a top flight power forward are over.

Then again, we do not have to give up anyone to get him.....

Your thoughts?
Been there, done that. A couple of other threads are talking about it.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:16 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
I don't see your point about McKay. He didn't work out for the Habs. But Steve Thomas worked out for the Ducks last year. He wasn't their saviour but he added a missing ingredient.

Gainey added a lot of veterans when he was in Dallas, and many of these were thought to be washed up. But he knew better. If Gainey seriously talked to Corson, I would at least keep an open mind.
Thomas never lost his scoring touch, plus he was rejuventaed going to a playoff contender in Anaheim...he wasn't out of hockey either.

I know Gainey added players in Dallas, but that was a different budget situation and we are building for the future not for this playoff run.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:17 AM
RE-HABS

MOD's can we close this one or link it to the others please.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:20 AM
mcphee

Joe did you actually hear Mcguire say that Gainey had been in contact with him. Marc was saying on the other thread that his agent was looking around but wasn't sure if BG had spoken to anybody. I imagine Corson would be better on a 4th line than Yannick would and I remember reading that he needs some cash due to some kind of financial deal, but I don't know. I'll leave that one to better minds than mine.
I think Corson may take up more space in a room than his role would dictate but who knows.

Old
02-14-2004, 10:27 AM
Maithz

vCash:
does BG try to sign Corson because he found his players ( veteran ) don't do the job for the leadership ? Corson can be a good Addition because of his experience .

Old
02-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Guy Caballero

If you don't want Corson on the Habs because you think he's too slow/old/undisciplined, that's fine, but you people trashing on him for walking out on the Leafs should review his history with us. He played his heart out for the Habs and never took a night off, even when he was hurting from his illness. He was a warrior for us and one of the guys, along with Skrudland, McPhee, Nilan, Carbo, that made the Habs a very nasty team to play against.

At this point, I don't think Corson has much left in the tank, so I'd be ambivalent about a comeback, but to call him selfish and a sellout makes no sense from a Habs' fans point of view. Hell, the fact that he walked out on the Leafs makes him more of a hero in my eyes.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Guy Caballero

Mine too. He won us two cups. If Foule hadn't blown the trade we could have gotten enough talent for him that we would be a contender today.

Old
02-14-2004, 12:03 PM
GhostOfTheForum

Send a message via MSN to GhostOfTheForum
geez, are we tired of trade rumors or what to bring this up

wonder if Guy LaFleur has been skating

Old
02-14-2004, 02:14 PM
da stones

If Corson does'nt touch any of his teamates wives, I'm with this Corson experiment.

Old
02-14-2004, 02:29 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Then Patrick Roy is my hero.
Roy had every right to walk on the morons running the team at the time. They were treating him like crap. I bear him no ill will.

Old
02-14-2004, 05:26 PM
The Power Forward

All i can say about this is :

If Corson is in good shape and Gainey only want to sign him for the playoff run , then i have no objection to that.

However , if BG want to sign him for a mid/long term contract (2 years or more) , then no i don't want him with the Habs.There are younger and cheaper players that play the same style asCorson that we can get if we want a long term "tough guy".

Old
02-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Corson is a playoff warrior, he does everything asked of him, hits, blocks shots and can shadow other teams top players. He quit on Toronto AFTER Toronto quit on him. I'd love to get him cause he'd come dirt cheap and he and Begin could cause havoc on opposing teams.

Old
02-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson
Corson is a playoff warrior, he does everything asked of him, hits, blocks shots and can shadow other teams top players. He quit on Toronto AFTER Toronto quit on him. I'd love to get him cause he'd come dirt cheap and he and Begin could cause havoc on opposing teams.
I agree....I think he would bring some things to this team that it doesn't have. I think he would be a great fit on our fourth line and would bring great leadership and experience.

Closed Thread