HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

3 RCMP Officers Dead, 2 Wounded In Moncton

Old
06-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Rocko604

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Scarlet View Post
You probably should have quit while you were ahead but considering you were 'honestly curious'.....

There is a tight bond of brotherhood between ALL RCMP officers, amongst ALL policemen and first responders. When someone is killed in the line of duty, it is a loss felt by all of them. You attend funerals to show respect, not only for those who have lost their lives, but for their families, too. It makes perfect sense for those who are involved in this line of work.

Many of the RCMP members I know (and have known), have spent their own money and taken vacation time to travel to regimental funerals for fallen comrades. Many first responders spend their own money to travel to honour a fellow FR killed in the line of duty. And when a disaster happens, the likes of the events of 9/11, RCMP members, policemen, firemen, first responders of all kinds, took their vacation time, a leave of absence, gave up their pay cheques to come to the aid of other FRs and the general public.

I'm sure construction workers could mount massive public funerals for their fallen bretheren if they so chose... they just don't. And let's face it, the work and the sacrifice made by police officers and first responders can't be compared to that of construction workers. As a fellow poster was wont to say....apples and orangutans.
Well said.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Sharpshooter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Scarlet View Post
You probably should have quit while you were ahead but considering you were 'honestly curious'.....

There is a tight bond of brotherhood between ALL RCMP officers, amongst ALL policemen and first responders. When someone is killed in the line of duty, it is a loss felt by all of them. You attend funerals to show respect, not only for those who have lost their lives, but for their families, too. It makes perfect sense for those who are involved in this line of work.

Many of the RCMP members I know (and have known), have spent their own money and taken vacation time to travel to regimental funerals for fallen comrades. Many first responders spend their own money to travel to honour a fellow FR killed in the line of duty. And when a disaster happens, the likes of the events of 9/11, RCMP members, policemen, firemen, first responders of all kinds, took their vacation time, a leave of absence, gave up their pay cheques to come to the aid of other FRs and the general public.

I'm sure construction workers could mount massive public funerals for their fallen bretheren if they so chose... they just don't. And let's face it, the work and the sacrifice made by police officers and first responders can't be compared to that of construction workers. As a fellow poster was wont to say....apples and orangutans.
Absolutely agree LS. I've known and still know many who've crossed the border to attend funerals on their own dime and time.

Apples and orangutans indeed.

And as said fellow would oft like to say, you seem to have hoisted them up on their own petard.

Sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Melrose Munch

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 06-11-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 11:11 PM
RoryDelap
That's some bad hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Isn't this a discussion board? I was honestly curious and hoped that tax money wasn't (directly) being used. It doesn't make sense for officers to come from across Canada to attend the funeral of people they didn't know. Yes, they have a dangerous job, but so do construction workers, and I don't see them get the same treatment when they die on the job (which is more often than RCMP officers).
I make ridiculous posts all the time on here but I'm glad folks like you are around to take the heat off and take it to a whole other level.

RoryDelap is offline   Reply With Quote