HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did a Weak East Affect NHL Popularity?

Old
06-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Randomtask68

vCash: 500
Did a Weak East Affect NHL Popularity?

I'm the poster who started the thread about the hypothetical 2004-05 season and while looking at player statistics from the years leading up to the lockout, it got me thinking about that time period in a different manner. This may just be regurgitating old threads/posts but I never really though about how little success the major American markets in the Eastern Conference in the playoffs between the 94 and 2004 lockouts. The West won 6 cups in that span and the East 4, but major markets with stars like Detroit and Colorado were consistently competing while teams like Boston and the NY Rangers were never really a factor. Did the lack of a Boston or NYR reaching the Cup finals hurt the growth/popularity of the NHL at all or was it better that markets like Florida, Carolina and Tampa Bay represented the East instead? Also, did the four straight sweeps have any negative impact on the league?

Stanley Cup Finalists, winners are bolded

Detroit vs. New Jersey
0-4

Colorado vs. Florida
4-0

Detroit vs. Philadelphia
4-0

Detroit vs. Washington
4-0

Dallas vs. Buffalo
4-2

Dallas vs. New Jersey
2-4

Colorado vs. New Jersey
4-3

Detroit vs. Carolina
4-1

Anaheim vs. New Jersey
3-4

Calgary vs. Tamp Bay
3-4

In addition, the first two post lockout Cup finals were kind of duds in regards to major markets and ratings.

Edmonton vs. Carolina
3-4

Anaheim vs. Ottawa
4-1

But starting with the 2008 finals, the league has benefited from major American markets making the finals basically every year and 6-7 game series, save for LA and NJ in 2012. I'm not saying that the non traditional markets do not deserve their success or hurt the league, but could the popularity and financial aspects of the league be even greater had there been a mix of more competition in the Finals and more major American markets involved? Is the NHL fine having southern teams making the Finals even if they attract low ratings in hopes that a Cup run will help make the sport popular in that city down the line?

Randomtask68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:23 PM
Randomtask68

Also, with Gretzky retired and Lemieux unable to play a full season after coming out of retirement, did that severely impact the league since they kind of lost 2 generational players and no one could be pointed to as the unquestionable best player in the league? Is this also where Eric Lindros comes into play and his inability to stay healthy, preventing him from truly being "The Next One", especially in a major market like Philadelphia?

Randomtask68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Darth Yoda

I dont think there is any doubt about the NHL being a dud in the US during the decade before the first lockout, post- NYR in 1994. Heck, the game in itself was slow and boring with all the grabbing. I remember Gretzky's last game and it was a relative travesty with Gretzky passing the torch to Jagr.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote