HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is this our 3rd pick in the first round?

Old
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
with three first rounders--I would rather have the oilers not take any chances

2 rounders go for it

first rounders no gambling allowed

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 12:51 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
with three first rounders--I would rather have the oilers not take any chances

2 rounders go for it

first rounders no gambling allowed
The Anaheim pick, IMO you can afford to swing for the fences, the other 2 had damn well better be quality picks.

03-19-2007, 01:11 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Any thoughts on packaging the Isles/Ducks picks (+ whatever if necessary) for another top 7ish pick?

Or is this year's talent deep enough that 2 top 7 picks are not a big improvement over 1 top 7, 1 mid round, and 1 late round?

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
JVR is your man, surefire NHLer and has an adorable face looking like a 16 yr old. Sort of a baby-faced scorer.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
aristotle siltanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel_master View Post
Ha ha, I think the Shayne Corson comparision is kinda funny, he ended up being a terribel locker room guy in TO.
In T.O.? What about here?

Worst Captain in Oiler history (Playing for the second worst coach). I still blame him for turning Arnott into such a joke when he was here.

Big Yes to Aliu with the 3rd first.

aristotle siltanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Agent View Post
He was okay, I guess. I just personally couldn't stand him.
I think when they made the comparison, they weren't talking about Aliu's offensive abilities, on-ice potential, or style of play, but rather the fact that he's a dick. "If you want a dick, draft this guy. Sure, there's a chance he might turn out to be a decent human being, you just never know with these prospects. But our projection - total dick. A real Shayne Corson type."

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Kitsune

Dont pick the guy - hes not worth the trouble. Hes still serving a team suspension, although he has been allowed to practice again. What did he get suspended for? Everyone is keeping hush. but Staal said it was something huge. Also, his last game in a Wolves uniform he was swearing at the coach, and apparently that is not the only reason why hes suspended....

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Dont pick the guy - hes not worth the trouble. Hes still serving a team suspension, although he has been allowed to practice again. What did he get suspended for? Everyone is keeping hush. but Staal said it was something huge. Also, his last game in a Wolves uniform he was swearing at the coach, and apparently that is not the only reason why hes suspended....
from the link, here is what I have gathered.

The coach ( Nik Foligno ) benched him a few games ago for making a few stupid plays. Aliu did not argue with the benching because that was a standard practice for the coach. A fw games later, the coach's son makes the exact same mistakes with no repurcussions.

Apparently, this was not the first time this has happened. Aliu sad something to the coach and was suspended for insubordination.

What can we learn fro this?
a) he is an 18 year old and thinks with his heart, not his head.
b) he is too quick to speak
c) the coach has shown very bad judgement for having his son on his team. The OHL is a training ground for the NHL and these guys' future rests in the coach's hands. That is why scum like Graham James can get away with what he did. Aliu said something that many teamates privately agreed with.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:18 AM
barto

So is this a bad rep that's at least somewhat-undeserved, a la Schremp? If so I'd take a shot at him with our last 1st-round pick...

barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
To hell with high risk picks early in the draft, hopefully this is our last time drafting in the top 7 with our own pick for a long time. Make the best of it, don't just piss it away. If we can manage to get 2 top 10 picks, this could be a great draft for us.
If they screw a top 7 pick up, it will set the organization back 5 years and cost all the management their jobs I hope.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 04:14 PM
jcoldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Well when Corson was in Edmonton he was one of the top power forward's in the NHL.
Have something off topic, but will share it as Shayne Corson's name came up.

I live in Barrie,On, and his family owns a restaurant and has all of Shayne's jersey on display but one. He has Montreal, Toronto, St. Louis, Dallas and his jersey from Team Canada. The only jersey missing is the Edmonton.

So to me that is telling me that Shayne really didn't like his time in Edmonton and if I am not mistaken it was well documented that a lot of players wanted him out to.

Now for Aliu, if he is compared to Corson I am sure there are better players to draft as being compared to Corson isn't anything to brag about.

jcoldwell is offline   Reply With Quote