HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Preds Talk Part V

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Ill just have to disagree.

Rinne + our defense + Jarnkrok/Forsberg and whoever else Poile can get to come here in the next two years and I think we are looking at being a legit contender in 15-16, with a two or maybe three year window before Rinne and Weber begin to decline
Do you really think our team in 2-3 years will be as good as the Hawks/Kings/Ducks/Blues in 2-3 years? Barring some crazy stuff happening (McDavid, for instance) I just don't see it. Those teams all have 2-4 legit first line players, and we have 0. There is a chance Forsberg becomes one, though not a huge one, and Jarnkrok looks unlikely to be a legit top liner too. We have great D and G, true, but so do those teams, and they have world class offense to put with it.

It'd take a minor miracle for us to be a legit cup threat in 2-3 years, but if we sell Weber and Rinne this/next off-season and get great young pieces, we could be there in 4-5. Agree to disagree.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 06-08-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old
06-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Can you photoshop a gif of Trey Anastasio or Jerry Garcia playing the guitar wearing a preds jersey after the Play With Some Jam??

Now keep in mind this was my first attempt at photoshopping a jersey on someone or anything like this. I did find a neat feature in photoshop that did not know existed. So I will say thanks for requesting this because I did learn something new.

Was something like this what you were asking about?

Old
06-08-2014, 07:34 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

That is awesome!!!!!

Old
06-08-2014, 08:13 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Do you really think our team in 2-3 years will be as good as the Hawks/Kings/Ducks/Blues in 2-3 years? Barring some crazy stuff happening (McDavid, for instance) I just don't see it. Those teams all have 2-4 legit first line players, and we have 0. There is a chance Forsberg becomes one, though not a huge one, and Jarnkrok looks unlike to be a legit top liner too. We have great D and G, true, but so do those teams, and they have world class offense to put with it.

It'd take a minor miracle for us to be a legit cup threat in 2-3 years, but if we sell Weber and Rinne this/next off-season and get great young pieces, we could be there in 4-5. Agree to disagree.
no, we won't be in a position to go to the finals year after year, but the truth is we probably never will be. But in 2-3 years we should have a team that will have a chance to beat those teams, and anything can happen in a 7 game series. Tampa and Carolina both won their Cups without dynasty level talent, Edmonton made the finals as an 8 seed…

there is no guarantee that a rebuild gets us anything close to what we even have now… and unless we replace Rinne with another great goalie, all those great young pieces will be for naught

Old
06-08-2014, 09:31 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Can we admit something, at this point?

We have no fleeping clue as to what will happen next season.

We could explode and make a run that would impress the 05-06 squad, or we could implode and make it look like 02-03 all over again.

Old
06-08-2014, 12:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Can we admit something, at this point?

We have no fleeping clue as to what will happen next season.

We could explode and make a run that would impress the 05-06 squad, or we could implode and make it look like 02-03 all over again.
Yeah I made that comment on sbnation. We have been getting our hockey education from Trotz/Poile for almost 2 decades.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:44 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought Jarnkrok looked legit.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I thought Jarnkrok looked legit.
I agree, but I don't think he's legit first line C material. I see him as a 55-65 point ceiling rather than 65-75. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong, a great piece, but not the kind of guy who can turn around our offense singlehandedly. It would take a lot.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:51 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's see what Lavy does with him.

Old
06-08-2014, 07:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I agree, but I don't think he's legit first line C material. I see him as a 55-65 point ceiling rather than 65-75. I hope I'm wrong.

Don't get me wrong, a great piece, but not the kind of guy who can turn around our offense singlehandedly. It would take a lot.
as others have said, we certainly need to see what Lavy can do with our roster, and we need to see if Poile can land a top UFA or two

I will say that if we totally suck this coming year and its obvious our personnel don't cut it in PLs system, I might be open to a full rebuild, especially if we get McDavid...

Old
06-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
as others have said, we certainly need to see what Lavy can do with our roster, and we need to see if Poile can land a top UFA or two

I will say that if we totally suck this coming year and its obvious our personnel don't cut it in PLs system, I might be open to a full rebuild, especially if we get McDavid...
Lavy does make this interesting, and if we can bring in Stastny/Vanek/Spezza/Vrbata/whoever that changes things. Still, I am very afraid of us being a 7-10 seed for the next three years, never having a real shot at the cup, and squandering Rinne and Weber as assets while we're mediocre. Only time will tell.

Old
06-11-2014, 12:02 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

One thing I hope Lavy does is give the more ice time to the top line players and less to the 4th line players.

For example, Craig Smith only played 16:23/pg of total ice time that would rank him about 149th in the forwards in the league, over the course of the season that adds up, his total ice time league wide amongst forwards was 1295 minutes, good for forwards 113th in the league.

On the powerplay, he only got 2:03 per game ranking him , or 162 minutes total for the season ranking him 126th in the league 162nd in the league.

With the lack of offense we had, you would have though Smith would have been the easy choice on the powerplay and not behind Matt Cullen, Mike Fisher and David Legwand.

Wilson's opportunities were even less and pretty much on par with Nystrom and Nystrom is awful defensively.

Old
06-11-2014, 12:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Only 1 player scored more than Smith with less icetime and that was Brad Marchand. Only 3 players scored more than 50 points with less than 16:30 ice time. Smith, Marchand and Reilly Smith.

Old
06-11-2014, 06:52 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Great point. Nobody doubts Trotz is a fantastic coach, but man, some of his combos and TOI were real guesses.

Old
06-12-2014, 07:47 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Do you really think our team in 2-3 years will be as good as the Hawks/Kings/Ducks/Blues in 2-3 years? Barring some crazy stuff happening (McDavid, for instance) I just don't see it. Those teams all have 2-4 legit first line players, and we have 0. There is a chance Forsberg becomes one, though not a huge one, and Jarnkrok looks unlikely to be a legit top liner too. We have great D and G, true, but so do those teams, and they have world class offense to put with it.

I agree with everything you have said here. FF and Jarnkrok look like legit top 6s but they aren't Toews, Kane, Sharp or Carter, Kopitar, Gaborik level.

Truth be told, their are really only 4 cup contenders right now: Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago and LA. Yes, I know the Rangers got in, but I would argue they played a heavily beaten down Montreal team from the physical Boston series.

In order for us to get into that realm, we need two top line forwards.

Old
06-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
I agree with everything you have said here. FF and Jarnkrok look like legit top 6s but they aren't Toews, Kane, Sharp or Carter, Kopitar, Gaborik level.

Truth be told, their are really only 4 cup contenders right now: Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago and LA. Yes, I know the Rangers got in, but I would argue they played a heavily beaten down Montreal team from the physical Boston series.

In order for us to get into that realm, we need two top line forwards.
I might add St. Louis and Anaheim to that group, but that's just my personal opinion.

Forwards better than every single forward on our team:

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, arguably Saad (unrelated: Pierre says they may trade for Joe Thornton...woah)
LA: Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Gaborik, arguably Richards (not to mention Toffoli, Pearson, and Vey coming up)
Boston: Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Eriksson (IMO), arguably Iginla and Marchand
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Neal

I just don't see us somehow putting together forward cores that can compete with those in the near future.

Old
06-12-2014, 08:18 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Great point. Nobody doubts Trotz is a fantastic coach, but man, some of his combos and TOI were real guesses.
if you realize that Trotz thought defense first, then in half of the games when he controlled line choice, you have to think he threw out the defensive lines more against the oppositions top lines, especially if we had the lead… sitting on a one goal lead for 2 periods was a Trotz staple...

Old
06-12-2014, 08:25 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
I might add St. Louis and Anaheim to that group, but that's just my personal opinion.

Forwards better than every single forward on our team:

Chicago: Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, arguably Saad (unrelated: Pierre says they may trade for Joe Thornton...woah)
LA: Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Gaborik, arguably Richards (not to mention Toffoli, Pearson, and Vey coming up)
Boston: Bergeron, Lucic, Krejci, Eriksson (IMO), arguably Iginla and Marchand
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Neal

I just don't see us somehow putting together forward cores that can compete with those in the near future.
and I don't see us becoming a dynasty team in 4-5 years even if we trade Rinne and Weber

prospects might not pan out, draft picks might bust, and we could become the Oilers/Panthers of the next decade, hoarding high draft picks but still not ever getting back to even being decent…

Ive said it before, and it remains true, to win the Cup the first thing you have to do is make the playoffs. With our young defense likely to get better, and some young forwards wo are likely to improve, adding as few as two solid top 6 forwards should make us a playoff regular, just like we were for the years preceding the last two…. Once you make the playoffs, anything can happen, and in any given year we could add a deadline addition or two that could let us be able to make a deep run..

Old
06-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
One thing I hope Lavy does is give the more ice time to the top line players and less to the 4th line players.

For example, Craig Smith only played 16:23/pg of total ice time that would rank him about 149th in the forwards in the league, over the course of the season that adds up, his total ice time league wide amongst forwards was 1295 minutes, good for forwards 113th in the league.

On the powerplay, he only got 2:03 per game ranking him , or 162 minutes total for the season ranking him 126th in the league 162nd in the league.

With the lack of offense we had, you would have though Smith would have been the easy choice on the powerplay and not behind Matt Cullen, Mike Fisher and David Legwand.

Wilson's opportunities were even less and pretty much on par with Nystrom and Nystrom is awful defensively.
Play your best players should be the motto.

Old
06-12-2014, 02:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Exactly.

Old
06-13-2014, 03:52 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
Play your best players should be the motto.
How would you define 'best'? Willy is probably our best puckhandler up front - certainly close when you look at his passing - but he's not been one of our better scorers or defenders. We all like Smith's apparent emergence, but when you consider his limited TOI, did he get some preferential matchups? Maybe not protected time like we were giving Ellis, but certainly matchups more against teams lower lines? If so, did that impact his scoring - whether easier chances or just being less fatigued? And I don't want either of those guys out on the PK so if we're taking a lot of penalties in a given game I want Mr. Underwood to be leading my team in TOI.

Watching the POs it struck me how many of these teams have their 1st and 2nd line guys playing significant shifts on the PK; I can only recall Leggy/Marty/Fish being important offensive players ever playing prime PK shifts - seems we always gave those minutes to our lower-line guys, which it seems would also lead to lower minutes for our "best" players, relative to other teams.

Old
06-14-2014, 07:03 AM
kamosko
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 50
Friendly Leafs fan coming in peace with a question for you Preds fans.

How good will Forsberg be?

I'm in a keeper league and I received a trade offer where I give up Forsberg and the 26th pick in this draft + a few more low level prospects.

Am I dumb for not really wanting to do that deal? I'm worried Steen will regress back into a 50ish/60 point player and in 2/3 years Forsberg will be around that level but for much cheaper (cap-wise.)

Am I being silly? Should I accept that offer instantly?

Old
06-14-2014, 07:34 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post
Friendly Leafs fan coming in peace with a question for you Preds fans.

How good will Forsberg be?

I'm in a keeper league and I received a trade offer where I give up Forsberg and the 26th pick in this draft + a few more low level prospects.

Am I dumb for not really wanting to do that deal? I'm worried Steen will regress back into a 50ish/60 point player and in 2/3 years Forsberg will be around that level but for much cheaper (cap-wise.)

Am I being silly? Should I accept that offer instantly?
well, Forsberg is young, and he is still projected as a top 6 forward. But it may still be a couple of years before he starts reaching his potential at the NHL level.

Old
06-17-2014, 03:17 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Logan Couture for Seth Jones?

Old
06-17-2014, 03:41 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleauApologist View Post
Logan Couture for Seth Jones?
Future franchise, elite Dman for a 50-60 ppg forward? No. Marty Erat was a 50 ppg forward for the Preds. No way I trade Erat for Jones. Nor would I trade Couture for Jones. After his rookie season and WC tourney, nothing Jones has done dispells the projection that he'll attain Weber-like status in a few years. He's only 19 and playing much older and more experienced than his peers.

Closed Thread