HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Dan Girardi our Best D man?

Old
03-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Noonan25

vCash: 500
If I had to rank them I would go

1) tyutin
2) Mara
3) Giradi
4) Rosi
5) Racunek
6) Malek
7)Strudwick
8 - Pock

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 06:34 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
I don't think kid will ever "come back to Earth". He's the real deal. Just because he wasn't a highly hyped prospect doesn't mean anything. Look at what Lundqvist was when he was drafted.

BTW, put it this way:
Staal, Sanguinetti, Sauer, Baranka, Girardi, Tyutin
I think the Rangers won't need to make any trades for Defensemen anytime soon, but that's just my opinion . IMO this defensive group is going to be one of the greatest Defense Corps in Ranger history, just watch. I can see this team winning the cup once all these kids start reaching their prime. Who's going to get past that defense with the King behind them?
I hope you're right about him never coming back down to Earth. I know that just because he wasn't highly hyped that he can be a good NHL player, but I'm hoping he isn't just a flash in the pan kind of guy. If he really does turn out to be this good in the long haul it'd be such a great under the radar addition.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 07:34 PM
shon

I guess Sid the Kid is not considered top competion. Girardi is often out against the top lines.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Fletch

Girardi's often...

against top lines? Maybe when a top guy is double-shifted in the third and he gets stuck out there. It's not the match-up Renney is looking for, which is why a guy like Rozsival will get about 25 minutes on one pair, and Mara nearly the same on another. Those are the guys Renney prefers to have out there against top competition.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 08:02 PM
NYROrtsFan

Girardi has absolutely been out there against opposing top lines recently...

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Girardi has been solid, but the best? Don't agree with that.

Quietly Paul Mara has been eating minutes like there is no tomorrow and played more than 26 minutes against Boston.

To me Mara and Rozsy have been by far and a way the biggest anchors right now and make the jobs of other guys, including Girardi better.

Long term I think Girardi could stick but I'm just not ready to jump on the bandwagon of overly praising him just yet.

I do like what I've seen so far.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 12:32 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
To me Mara and Rozsy have been by far and a way the biggest anchors right now and make the jobs of other guys, including Girardi better.

Long term I think Girardi could stick but I'm just not ready to jump on the bandwagon of overly praising him just yet.

I do like what I've seen so far.
I agree on all counts. I am certainly not a bit Rozsival fan, but he has been the best defenseman on the team. Girardi has been nice, and I certainly want him out there instead of Strudwick, but I am not ready to declare him a top-4 type of defenseman. He has been a very, very nice surprise though.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:42 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I agree on all counts. I am certainly not a bit Rozsival fan, but he has been the best defenseman on the team. Girardi has been nice, and I certainly want him out there instead of Strudwick, but I am not ready to declare him a top-4 type of defenseman. He has been a very, very nice surprise though.
Its funny that we all like what we see, & most people dont want to over praise Girardi, but from everything that I have read on other sights that has been the story of his Entire career, he goes about hus business does his job & does it well.

I love how well the coachs have gotten everyone on the Ranger Defence playing like one unit, that inculdes the guys who have been injured & are out right now.
Sather & company have put together a "No Name Defence"
Pretty good, The fruits of Sathers labor are seeing results.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
If I had to rank them I would go

1) tyutin
2) Mara
3) Giradi
4) Rosi
5) Racunek
6) Malek
7)Strudwick
8 - Pock
Wow the Pock hatered no know bounds!
POCK IS WAY BETTER THAT Rachunek!

Old
03-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Its funny that we all like what we see, & most people dont want to over praise Girardi, but from everything that I have read on other sights that has been the story of his Entire career, he goes about hus business does his job & does it well.

I love how well the coachs have gotten everyone on the Ranger Defence playing like one unit, that inculdes the guys who have been injured & are out right now.
Sather & company have put together a "No Name Defence"
Pretty good, The fruits of Sathers labor are seeing results.
Ultimately Sather and Maloney made good deadline deals. I know there were some going nuts on here but the reality is that the moves worked. Avery has worked and Mara has worked. I also think both guys, in a good system can be more productive.

Old
03-25-2007, 02:47 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Ultimately Sather and Maloney made good deadline deals. I know there were some going nuts on here but the reality is that the moves worked. Avery has worked and Mara has worked. I also think both guys, in a good system can be more productive.
Mara I agree, can play yet better for us, and I'm looking forward to him doing so. But do you really think that Avery can be even more productive than he has already as a Ranger? I think since coming to the Rangers, there is little more that you can ask from his play.

As for the defencemen, Girardi is great and I love his constant, intelligent calm, both with and without the puck.

I can't understand why people continue to underrate Rozsival. It's not that he's a superstar, but he plays a LOT of minutes, blocks a tonne of shots, constantly puts himself in harm's way, and plays in all situations. This season, I think, he has been far and away the Rangers' most effective defenceman and he deserves more credit for what he brings to the team.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 04:04 PM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Mara I agree, can play yet better for us, and I'm looking forward to him doing so. But do you really think that Avery can be even more productive than he has already as a Ranger? I think since coming to the Rangers, there is little more that you can ask from his play.

As for the defencemen, Girardi is great and I love his constant, intelligent calm, both with and without the puck.

I can't understand why people continue to underrate Rozsival. It's not that he's a superstar, but he plays a LOT of minutes, blocks a tonne of shots, constantly puts himself in harm's way, and plays in all situations. This season, I think, he has been far and away the Rangers' most effective defenceman and he deserves more credit for what he brings to the team.
I see Girardi as a very intelligent player. Does everything right, will use his body, will read plays, doesnt get rattled or take bad penalties, seems to pinch at the right times, and is always in good position. There is nothing not to like, Maybe not the highest upside, but a D-man which every team in the NHL would like to have. I think hes that good.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

The kid has been damn good and reliable, very impressed by him. A very steady defensive d-man, what NYR been desperatley needed causde Malik is a BUM.If he is to keep prgressing like he is, he should turn out to be a top 4 d-man, on the regular,which he already is, but i see the kid having a solid futrure with this club.

Pock is another one I am very impressed with.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I think there's a little bit more Avery could possible do, maybe hit that 20 goal, little bit more mark. I don't think 25 goals and 50 points is out of the question with some pp time and a full season and playing with the linemates he does.

Old
03-25-2007, 10:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rozsival just bothers me with the way he never shoots when he has the puck that's why I dislike the guy.

Mara has been solid, however, I tend to notice Girardi making so many more good defensive plays. Plays that really stick out and that even the commentators will mention. He makes it look so easy out there that it's tough to not say he's been the best defenseman on the team.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Thing is that guys like Mara, Rozsy and others take a lot of minutes and really make things easier for a guy like Girardi to do.

I think he's been solid and he's been a surprise, but I also think because he's a young rookie those comments probably get noticed more on here than most anywhere else.

I mean we spent pages talking Immonen when he did nothing so when a kid like Girardi comes along and actually does do something good it's going to get even more notice.

Old
03-25-2007, 10:31 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Girardi plays a very similar game to Malik but most won't admit it. Girardi was a very nice UFA acquistion. Very simple solid game. He has a very important part of his game that is a lost art form in today's game, the poke / stick check. Once upon a time all defenseman had the ability. Once there was Harry Howell who excelled at that play. He was the last man to win the Norris before it became the personal property of Bobby Orr.

Ranger fans booed Harry Howell too! Maybe we just don't like Harrys!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 10:32 PM
NYROrtsFan

If Avery played a full season with a playmaker like Nylander, i do think he'd put up those numbers. Fan of both Cally and Shanny, but both of those are moreso finishers than anything.

Thinking about it, maybe they should throw Callahan up there with Jagr and Straka and just move Nylander back.

As far as Mara and Rozy getting minutes, yes they are getting a majority, but it is on the powerplay. Dont think Girardi should really be used there anyway. Think he could be OK there though with his passing. Have no clue what type of shot he has though.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:22 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

As far as Mara and Rozy getting minutes, yes they are getting a majority, but it is on the powerplay.
Rozsival has led the Rangers in ES, PP and PK TOI since like November 2005, or been ranked second in PK time behind Malik/Mara by about 8 seconds on average.

I'm not sure where some Ranger fans get that misconception...

Girardi... Average TOI/per game: ES 13.46 PK 1.29 PP 0.08 = 15.24
Rozsival..............TOI/per game: ES 15.53 PK 3.08 PP 4.36 = 23.38

And if you have any doubt as to who plays the toughest opposition, watch last yesterday's 5-on-3s vs the Isles.

Girardi's been a very nice addition, plays 15-16 minutes per game, sometimes up to 20, usually not facing the opposing team's top lines. He's keeping it simple and definitely showing potential enough for him to stay in the league, more likely than not as a #4-#6.

So I know he's been good, but pimping him as the Rangers' best defenseman is a joke. It'd be like Sabre fans started pimping Paetsch. He's been very good as a fill-in, probably earned himself a top-6 place next season after Teppo retires, but I guarantee you won't see people pimping him as the best on the team.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:42 AM
johnnychinstrap

G's a good kid. Quiet, yet witty and easy to get along with. His style will keep him out of the spot light but he'll work well with a risk taking d'man. He's like Oats to Hull (way back kids). Of all the kids i've skated with, he most reminds me of Jay Mckee only he makes even less mistakes and his gear doesn't smell as bad. Steps it up when the challenge is there (never was signed till he shut down Crosby in the Memorial cup) He's got a good accurate shot (took one off the ankle last summer and it hurt for a week) Good fit for the Rangers with the cap. First game i saw him in was the Isles on Sunday and was very impressed with his play despite a few overthinks. Needs a little time to feel like he belongs in the show, but once he gets comfortable he'll get a bushel of apples. He's still a good deal and the Rangers should try to lock him into 4 years because with one more year under his belt he's gonna be expensive in July 2008. Good to have a solid guy like Shanny around too for guys like Cally and G. If they can keep Shanny around next year you'll notice a better "team"

johnnychinstrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 07:57 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Girardi is a rock on D. That is is all.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 08:59 PM
In The Flesh

At the time, he made a game saving save in the crease.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 09:06 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Rozsival = out on the ice with Jagr. Either way Girardi is pimp.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 09:38 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Rozsival = out on the ice with Jagr. Either way Girardi is pimp.
PIMP HAND BABY, PIMP HAND!

Old
04-01-2007, 10:46 PM
GarretJoseph*

staal. :-X

prob toots or mara.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote