HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

2014 Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2014, 12:39 PM
jayslightning79
@jayslightning79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
I take barbashev all day. I like everything about barbashev. I think barbashev will be better sooner and his intangibles in long run a little better. Only issue I have with tuch is skating and he will be 2-3 years out playing for boston college so would take him. He should pencil into a top 6 role in time. He does work hard on defense and he is very physical to me. Has a nice shot plays a decent two way game and will improve. He will mix it up at the net and on the boards and he can punish people. I see him maybe going at least three years for BC and barbashev might be on a faster track.

Personally I have tuch going in top 12.
I have Tuch going top 15, I'm a huge Barbashev fan, saw him 10 times playing alongside Jaskin, and probably 5 times alongside either Tkachev. He has some tremendous vision, a wicked shot, and he plays a 200 foot game. It's hard to see him drop to 19 though, but with the Russian factor, you never know.

Also I feel like we have to draft Tkachev in the later rounds, the guy might not be big, but he could be a very skilled top6 Fwd in 3-4 years. Might be a steal anywhere in the later rounds.

Old
06-12-2014, 01:21 PM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayslightning79 View Post
Anyone opposed to these picks? http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-NHL-Mock-Draft/

#19 TB selects Alex Tuch
#28 TB selects Travis Sanhiem

I know I'd be thrilled to get both guys.

Also I noticed Barbashev #21, If both Barbashev and Tuch are available at 19 (Unlikely) Who do you guys pick and why?
I would take Barbashev easily. IMO his upside is much higher and he just fits our system better. Tuch gets a lot of Credit for his size, but I don't see more than a 2nd liner in him. Good chance he ends up a third liner. Just like Gauthier last year. Barbashev on the other side has top line upside IMO, he has everything needed to become really really good. He can skate, has a really high IQ and on top of that he is good defensivly and has a little mean Streak. Yes he is smaller, but size gets overrated anyways.

Old
06-12-2014, 03:16 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

vCash: 1566
Honestly, I would be ok with taking Travis Sanheim at 18 at this point. This guy will be the steal of the draft, reminds me of Maatta in the 2013 draft.

Hoping that we can package our 28th pick with some mid picks (omitting 2nd) to move up and pick up both Sanheim and McKeown. These two would really look good in our defensive prospect pool with Koekkoek.

Unless we can pick up Fiala, Virtanen, or Honka with our late 1sts then I'm really hoping for Sanheim and McKeown.

Old
06-12-2014, 03:23 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
Honestly, I would be ok with taking Travis Sanheim at 18 at this point. This guy will be the steal of the draft, reminds me of Maatta in the 2013 draft.

Hoping that we can package our 28th pick with some mid picks (omitting 2nd) to move up and pick up both Sanheim and McKeown. These two would really look good in our defensive prospect pool with Koekkoek.

Unless we can pick up Fiala, Virtanen, or Honka with our late 1sts then I'm really hoping for Sanheim and McKeown.
No point in trading up in a relatively weak draft after the top 7-10(depending on who you ask). Best to give Murray all the picks we can, unless we package them for a top-4 defender who can step in now, so he can work more of his magic.

Old
06-12-2014, 03:43 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
No point in trading up in a relatively weak draft after the top 7-10(depending on who you ask). Best to give Murray all the picks we can, unless we package them for a top-4 defender who can step in now, so he can work more of his magic.
You have a point. I have a history of becoming overly attached to the certain prospects around draft time. But I watched both Sanheim and McKeown during the U17's and I really liked what I saw from them, especially Sanheim. In terms of it being a 'weak draft', it is kind of subjective. I think most scouts just don't see 'high end' talent in a lot of the prospects here, but the prospects are still promising ones.

I'm going to be quite sad if we don't at least grab Sanheim, he's even better than Fleury imo.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:09 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayslightning79 View Post
I have Tuch going top 15, I'm a huge Barbashev fan, saw him 10 times playing alongside Jaskin, and probably 5 times alongside either Tkachev. He has some tremendous vision, a wicked shot, and he plays a 200 foot game. It's hard to see him drop to 19 though, but with the Russian factor, you never know.

Also I feel like we have to draft Tkachev in the later rounds, the guy might not be big, but he could be a very skilled top6 Fwd in 3-4 years. Might be a steal anywhere in the later rounds.
I have top 12 cause of size and people are comparing to hayes. So if he can be hayes some team is gonna love him who wants a big guy for sure early. I think his game needs work but he has a lot to offer and he has played well with milano and eichel and others and looked very good imho.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:12 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

Quote:
I have top 12 cause of size and people are comparing to hayes. So if he can be hayes some team is gonna love him who wants a big guy for sure early. I think his game needs work but he has a lot to offer and he has played well with milano and eichel and others and looked very good imho.
Are you talking bout Jimmy or Kevin Hayes? Because both haven't been anything to write home about.

I don't know much about Tuch but if he was playing with Milano and Eichel, would you say he was being carried a bit or his production was inflated?

Old
06-12-2014, 04:18 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Are you talking bout Jimmy or Kevin Hayes? Because both haven't been anything to write home about.

I don't know much about Tuch but if he was playing with Milano and Eichel, would you say he was being carried a bit or his production was inflated?
The milano and eichel was tourney stuff and that shows that he can skate with top line talent.

Kevin hayes had 67 points in 39 games for BC the kid is a stud at his size. Any big guy is always gonna be doubted on others carrying them.

What I look for is can he keep up with a gaudreau or an eichel if so the guy has a chance depending on what else he has.

Tuch is good I figure someone is going to totally fall in love with him and get drafted ahead of schedule.

You cant teach size. Is a lot of teams in love with that type of player He does project to at least a decent power forward on second line.

My two guys I fell in love with this draft are nylander and barbashev. I think they will be very good. So if can get barbashev will be THRILLED otherwise hoping we pickup two defenders. Since honka is falling I am liking him more and more. Sanheim I like but was hoping in second and now might not get at 28

Tuch would take worst case you get a 40-50 guy 20 goals who will use his body as a checking guy etc.. with some offensive upside he has good hands protects puck well and will lay people out on both ends of ice. Someone you got to watch for A franzen type of guy with a mean streak imho.

Last edited by robertguess2013: 06-12-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old
06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Boltsfan9175

Tuch is going to be picked before we are up. I do think he is the perfect fit.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
AimForTopCheddar
04 Bolts/Flames!

Quote:
The milano and eichel was tourney stuff and that shows that he can skate with top line talent.

Kevin hayes had 67 points in 39 games for BC the kid is a stud at his size. Any big guy is always gonna be doubted on others carrying them.

What I look for is can he keep up with a gaudreau or an eichel if so the guy has a chance depending on what else he has.

Tuch is good I figure someone is going to totally fall in love with him and get drafted ahead of schedule.

You cant teach size. Is a lot of teams in love with that type of player He does project to at least a decent power forward on second line.

My two guys I fell in love with this draft are nylander and barbashev. I think they will be very good. So if can get barbashev will be THRILLED otherwise hoping we pickup two defenders. Since honka is falling I am liking him more and more. Sanheim I like but was hoping in second and now might not get at 28

Tuch would take worst case you get a 40-50 guy 20 goals who will use his body as a checking guy etc.. with some offensive upside he has good hands protects puck well and will lay people out on both ends of ice. Someone you got to watch for A franzen type of guy with a mean streak imho.
I love Tuch's size and if he has talent to go with that then I'll all for him. Good to know about Tuch, thank you.

I generally LOVE Swedish players but I'm not completely sold on Nylander. Small but skilled forwards seem to never translate from the SHL.

I like Honka but like you said size isn't something you can teach and size is quite important when it comes to a defenseman. He seems like a top 4 or bust player to me.

I'll agree to disagree about Kevin Hayes, when I watched him play in the frozen four final for BC I wasn't impressed. Johnny Hockey posted above 2 PPG this season and had like a 50 game point streak, no doubt in my mind he carried Hayes and Arnold and could carry almost about anyone at that level.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:46 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
I love Tuch's size and if he has talent to go with that then I'll all for him. Good to know about Tuch, thank you.

I generally LOVE Swedish players but I'm not completely sold on Nylander. Small but skilled forwards seem to never translate from the SHL.

I like Honka but like you said size isn't something you can teach and size is quite important when it comes to a defenseman. He seems like a top 4 or bust player to me.

I'll agree to disagree about Kevin Hayes, when I watched him play in the frozen four final for BC I wasn't impressed. Johnny Hockey posted above 2 PPG this season and had like a 50 game point streak, no doubt in my mind he carried Hayes and Arnold and could carry almost about anyone at that level.
Honka's size wont make him bust, the kid can play forward and be a top six I watched a ton of videos after embarrassing myself a week or so ago, cause hadnt saw he gained like 15 pounds and couple inches. That kid has wheels to spare and mad skills lol.

There are not too many big elite guys in NHL, is a handful only, most fall into the range of franzen, so you have a lot of people mad at them or they are worse than franzen like malone etc..

Hayes might just be a notch above, if not being a 50 point big guy in todays NHL is nothing to be disappointed in.

Old
06-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I was really impressed by Honka at the WJC... Finland won the Gold and while Rastolainen was the boss of the Finn's defense, Honka was super solid.

Old
06-13-2014, 01:52 AM
Stamper

Honka is listed at 182 cm and 81 kg, so the size isn't too bad for an offensive dman with superb skating,

Not to mention he was molded originally in the junior organization of JYP in Finland, where Maatta and Vatanen both spent their junior careers. That organization is very keen on that their prospects learn the defensive system of the big club early on, which is probably the reason why most of the good dprospects in Finland come from there

Old
06-13-2014, 06:09 AM
Vermin
ainec

vCash: 50
I don't really think that Tuch is a first round talent. All I know about him, he seems like a future bottom-6 player. But then again, he seems to be a long-term project and a guy with good size and physical and also with decent offensive talent could be a pretty good power forward. Might just take some time but I'm open to long-term projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevskiy View Post
I was really impressed by Honka at the WJC... Finland won the Gold and while Rastolainen was the boss of the Finn's defense, Honka was super solid.
He outperformed Ristolainen in that tournament, mostly because Risto was pretty terrible in the start of the tournament. Ristolainen did step up in the last three games though and was quite dominant against Sweden, though. But Honka was, as you said, extremely solid throughout the tournament.

Quote:
True, there has been some highly skilled but small-ish (around 5'10"-6'0" which isn't necessarily small but average size) Swedes that have been drafted in the early rounds and who never really became difference-makers in the NHL. The difference between Nylander and these players is that Nylander has elite offensive tools, not just great. In my mind there's no doubt that Nylander will be a top-5, top-3 even, player from this draft. But there's no way IMO that the kid will be available @ 19.

Quote:
Size isn't necessarily so important for a player like Honka. When you think about the best offensive defenseman of the last 10 or so years you have guys like Timonen, Rafalski, Boyle, Campbell, Zidlicky, Streit and from current players Karlsson, Letang, Goligoski, Krug etc. All of these guys are around that 5'11" range. Obviously when you don't have size that will affect your physical game (boards etc.) but you can still be a good defenseman if you have smarts for that - which Honka does have.

Old
06-14-2014, 12:59 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

With the playoffs over here's our draft picks

1st round - 19th
1st round - Rangers 28th (Marty trade)
2nd round - 50th
3rd round - 80th
4th round - 110th (Crombeen trade)
5th round - 140th
5th round - Blues 142nd (Crombeen trade)
6th round - 170th
7th round - 200th

Old
06-14-2014, 01:59 AM
MattM92

Final Bleacher Report mock draft:

1) Florida Panthers - Aaron Ekblad
2) Buffalo Sabres - Sam Reinhart
3) Edmonton Oilers - Leon Draisaitl
4) Calgary Flames - Sam Bennett
5) New York Islanders - Michael Dal Colle
6) Vancouver Canucks - Nick Ritchie
7) Carolina Hurricanes - Nikolaj Ehlers
8) Toronto Maple Leafs - Kevin Fiala
9) Winnipeg Jets - Jake Virtanen
10) Anaheim Ducks - Alex Tuch
11) Nashville Predators - William Nylander
12) Phoenix Coyotes - Brendan Perlini
13) Washington Capitals - Haydn Fleury
14) Dallas Stars - Nikita Scherbak
15) Detroit Red Wings - Robby Fabbri
16) Columbus Blue Jackets - Kasperi Kapanen
17) Philadelphia Flyers - Josh Ho-Sang
18) Minnesota Wild - Thatcher Demko
19) Tampa Bay Lightning - Jakub Vrana
20) San Jose Sharks - Jared McCann
21) St. Louis Blues - Dylan Larkin
22) Pittsburgh Penguins - Adrian Kempe
23) Colorado Avalanche - Brendan Lemieux
24) Anaheim Ducks - Travis Sanheim
25) Boston Bruins - Roland McKeown
26) Montreal Canadiens - David Pastrnak
27) Chicago Blackhawks - Julius Honka
28) Tampa Bay Lightning - Conner Bleackley
29) Los Angeles Kings - Ivan Barbashev
30) New Jersey Devils - Sonny Milano

Last edited by MattM92: 06-14-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old
06-14-2014, 02:05 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post

5) New York Rangers - Michael Dal Colle
If we pass on Barbashev twice I'll rethink my opinion of SFY.

Old
06-14-2014, 02:11 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
If we pass on Barbashev twice I'll rethink my opinion of SFY.
Yeah, weird they had us take a LW and another non top tier center. I would love Vrana, but to pass on Barbashev with the 28th pick would be crazy.

Old
06-14-2014, 02:15 AM
Stamper

Well they have Rangers picking at 5? So this list lost all credibility before I even saw what picks they had us do

Old
06-14-2014, 02:21 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper View Post
Well they have Rangers picking at 5? So this list lost all credibility before I even saw what picks they had us do
Whoops, meant Islanders lol. My mistake

Call it wishful thinking for next year

Old
06-14-2014, 07:04 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post

5) New York Islanders - Michael Dal Colle
That's a terrible mock IMO. Fiala too high, Kapanen and Nylander low, don't see Demko going in 1st unless team trades up to 28/29, Milano way too low, Vrana could be had at 28, ok with Bleakley.

If it fell that way I'd take McCann at 19 and Barbashev 28.

Old
06-15-2014, 06:07 AM
Jacko95

An interesting offensive defender for the later rounds:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120210

He is only 5'8, but already 186 lbs he is build like a truck. If this is all muscle and not fat, he is right up there with St. Louis.
He is fast and has great offensive tools. I know he is really small for a defender, but if he is available in the later rounds I think he is a really interesting guy.

Old
06-15-2014, 09:19 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post

He is only 5'8, but already 186 lbs he is build like a truck. If this is all muscle and not fat, he is right up there with St. Louis.
He is fast and has great offensive tools. I know he is really small for a defender, but if he is available in the later rounds I think he is a really interesting guy.
He's also 18. Not unheard of for guys that age to put on another 2 or 3 inches after a year or two.

Old
06-15-2014, 05:50 PM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post

he could go anywhere from 3rd on. If was normal height he would probably be a first rounder so hard to figure where he will go.

Old
06-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
Yzerman likes tall defencemen. He's fine with skilled forwards who might be not be as tall though. Might be worth a flyer though.

Closed Thread