HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Warning signs

Old
03-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Shadowrunner

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Warning signs

Okay, elation aside, I can't say that I feel good about these past few games. Let's be honest, if not for Hank and one really lucky shot by Pock, we would almost certainly only get 1 or even 0 points out of these last 4. Which puts us right back into just clawing into the 8th, and not looking to hold 6th.

The Rangers were not the better team yesterday, nor were they the better team in Boston (even more inexcusale). We have no business winning games in which we take 6-7 penalties (half of them bad), and our ONLY goal scorers in regulation are Thomas Pock and Colton Orr. That's begging to be beaten, I don't care who we're playing against. Yes, we won, but we were not the better/hungrier team for 2 straight CRUCIAL games.

It's not time to panic quite yet, but an objective fan cannot help but to be concerned. These games are somewhat reminiscent of a stretch of several awesome games that Henrik won for us back in December, despite the team playing poorly (last game being the Dallas one), which was followed by a 7 game losing streak.

Yes, an elite goaltender should steal games for a you on an occasional off-night, but 2 off-nights in a row is a warning sign that the team needs to wake up and rediscover the hunger that they've been playing with over the past month. If they don't, I'm afraid even Henrik will not be able to carry us all alone.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
TheRedressor

Definetly agree with you that there are some things to be concerned about. However it was just two games, the previous stretch we had been dominant and done even worse on to other teams as we did to the Isles in the shootout win. Nothing really to be concerned about at this point. The funny thing is that we don't even have 2 of our top 6 defenseman in the lineup right now. We are also missing a top 6 winger in Hossa.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:16 AM
Levitate

No team plays amazing hockey game in and game out over a long period of time...it's not terribly surprising the Rangers put in a few weaker games after playing some good ones. Especially back to back afternoon games.

People are panicking (no, really they are), but I think the team defense is still looking fairly decent compared to earlier this year, and hopefully the offense gets going a little better. I'm mainly not sure about Straka right now...he seems like he needs to be healthier. Hopefully Shanahan gets back up to speed quickly, but I don't think he's really throwing the team chemistry off.

Anyways, a couple of weaker games here and there isn't a big deal. They just have to be better prepared for the next game.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Teams like this are not uncommon. Last years Edmonton with a newly aquired Roloson just squeaked into the playoffs and they seemed to be ok

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
clmetsfan

I'd be concerned if it looked like the Rangers were getting outhustled. Yes, they looked flat for much of the Boston game, but the Bruins were also getting very good goaltender play. And while the Isles outplayed us to an extent yesterday, it wasn't as if we had no business winning the game.

Bottom line, as the above posts said, is that even the best team in the league can't play amazing hockey every single game. The Rangers have looked great overall lately, and perhaps more importantly, the puck seems to bouncing their way for a change. Are they perfect? Of course not. But they've also given us reason to be optimistic for the first time since the start of the season.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Teams like this are not uncommon. Last years Edmonton with a newly aquired Roloson just squeaked into the playoffs and they seemed to be ok
Exactly!

No matter who the Rangers face in Round 1, they are going to do rather well I think. It is important to go into the playoffs on a roll, and boy are the Rangers rolling!

As for Defense, remember that we are without Tyutin right now, and we are playing a guy like Strudwick. Once Tyutin comes back, our D will sure up a bit.

As for our offense, Shany just got back so give him time. When Hossa gets back our offense should fire on all cyliners as well!

I am not worried, I am actually excited! Am I the only one excited here or something?????

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Larry Melnyk

Defientely, some cause to be concerned but I think we will get back on track playing wise...

Not only has the re-introduction of SHanny and Straka changed the most recent status-quo (where we were doing quite well) a little bit, but the barrage of penalties the past two games has made it a little harder to get them and the lines back into the flow....Also, all the peanlties have prevented Renney from using the four lines the way he had in the more recent games...

Basically, the team needs to stay disciplined and stay out of the box, ANd I think (I hope) things will be back in order..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:38 AM
BuRe#9

Two words.....

Henrik Lundqvist

Playing the best hockey, and prob the only goalie I trust since the Richter days.

BuRe#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:40 AM
philbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Exactly!

No matter who the Rangers face in Round 1, they are going to do rather well I think. It is important to go into the playoffs on a roll, and boy are the Rangers rolling!

As for Defense, remember that we are without Tyutin right now, and we are playing a guy like Strudwick. Once Tyutin comes back, our D will sure up a bit.

As for our offense, Shany just got back so give him time. When Hossa gets back our offense should fire on all cyliners as well!

I am not worried, I am actually excited! Am I the only one excited here or something?????

I agree w/ everything you said except who they face, if it's the Debbies, I'll be worried. They seem no matter what kind of effort we give them they get the lucky bounce, or the questionable call, or save of the year by Marty on the pk.

Anybody but them in the 1st round, please.

philbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:52 AM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
Yes, Henrik has stepped up, but what about the defense and penalty kill? I can't imagine something like the 7-0 loss to Toronto happening now.

My problem with the team is that they tend to lay down when getting a big edge, just like most teams do. The win against the Flyers seemed like a peak, they were sitting great in the standings going into an easy game at Boston. Earlier in this streak, they'd lose in OT or regulation once getting in a good position...now, Henrik has played so well that they don't blow games that are basically just maintaining a good position. They have to realize that every game is essential until they've locked up a spot (which could be in the next few games if things get lucky...)

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:01 PM
bogans

Warning Signs

I do totally agree with you, we should have had an easier time making it by at least Boston, and in neither game did they look nearly as good as they had previously. BUT on a positive note, this is the kind of game that you have to learn how to pull out to win in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, most games are not won by the stars in the playoffs, they are won by guys like Orr, Pock or Stephane Matteau. I don't like what they showed on the ice this weekend, but the fact that they managed two points out of each game is a huge positive at least.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:04 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
Yes, Henrik has stepped up, but what about the defense and penalty kill? I can't imagine something like the 7-0 loss to Toronto happening now.

My problem with the team is that they tend to lay down when getting a big edge, just like most teams do. The win against the Flyers seemed like a peak, they were sitting great in the standings going into an easy game at Boston. Earlier in this streak, they'd lose in OT or regulation once getting in a good position...now, Henrik has played so well that they don't blow games that are basically just maintaining a good position. They have to realize that every game is essential until they've locked up a spot (which could be in the next few games if things get lucky...)
There are no easy games in NHL for NYR. They are essentially playing SC hockey just trying to get into PO's with a team wracked w/injuries. This is the type of game NYR are currently content to play, and they have the goaltending and D to do it. These games are exactly what they will face in PO's. When the injured get back and get a few games under their belts I think they will be better than they are now. Shanahan looks slow, Tyutin needs a few games to get ready, hopefully Hossa will regain his form when he returns, and I don't know how long Rachunek's out, but ditto for him. Next 6 games will tell, so relax, sit back and enjoy.

nrf83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
There's a big difference now than mid way through the season when I was honestly a nervous wreck regarding the Ranger's playoff chances... Not only has the goaltender stepped up, but there's been a fairly team wide commitment to back checking that I've been suprised and elated to see. They continue playing like this, close games or not, they'll be in pretty good shape.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:15 PM
cringer

agree with the sentiment to just enjoy it. Look at the big picture. This team overall is "hot" at the right time of year, and that's all it takes a lot of the time.

They got 4 points out of the weekend when I would have been happy with 2 or 3. I'll smile about that... we had enough to be depressed about all these recent years without getting depressed about actually winning.

You can say they weren't the better team... but that goes both ways too, look how much they dominated the Isles in that 57 shot game and they barely eeked out the win.

Just get on the train and drink the koolaid!

cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No team plays amazing hockey game in and game out over a long period of time...it's not terribly surprising the Rangers put in a few weaker games after playing some good ones. Especially back to back afternoon games.

People are panicking (no, really they are), but I think the team defense is still looking fairly decent compared to earlier this year, and hopefully the offense gets going a little better. I'm mainly not sure about Straka right now...he seems like he needs to be healthier. Hopefully Shanahan gets back up to speed quickly, but I don't think he's really throwing the team chemistry off.

Anyways, a couple of weaker games here and there isn't a big deal. They just have to be better prepared for the next game.
I defenitly agrees with that, it happens to everyone, it doesn't take much for the scale to turn so to speak, and you can't be 100% all the time.

But I kind of agree with Shadow, the Boston game where a typical "not our night" game. 100's of bad passes/misshandled pucks ect. The puck just didn't bounce our way.

Though against NYI, that weren't really the case. It where the 6th game in a 6 games in 9 days stretch, so its not strange that we didn't have 100% in our legs. But, both Jagr and Shanny are far from 100%. Jagr had a really poor games besides 3-4 great plays, didn't look like himself.

I am also worried about our 2nd line, and our defense with Struds on it, and Malik out of gas.

We need to pick it up against MTL, thats for sure. To be honest, I don't even think the reffs where bad against NYI, I thought we even got some favors. We had to scramble and bend the rules several times just to get the puck out against NYI. MTL got the best PP in the league, its not a team that you can let slugg away against you.

Nah, I am not positive about the game against MTL. With Toots on the horizon, and 3 days off, I feel better about us in the longrun, but its gooing to take heroics to beat MTL unless we really can find some extra energy...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:22 PM
broadwayblue

As long as our team defense stays solid and Henrik continues to be Henrik things should be ok. I'd like to see a bit more offensive production on a consistent basis (rather score 3 every night than 7/5/1/2) but it's a good feeling knowing that if the team scores 2 goals you have a great chance at the W. Tyutin's imminent return should only make the D better, and hopefully Shanny starts to come around on the offensive side in the next couple of games too. The Montreal game should be a good barometer for us. The key is that the team is finding ways to win, even when they don't turn in their best performance.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Fletch

Good teams...

fine ways to win...they are the lesser team and win...they don't rely on their top guns to score every goal...Others need to pick up some slack, no doubt, but those are nice ways to win...as a team!

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
fine ways to win...they are the lesser team and win...they don't rely on their top guns to score every goal...Others need to pick up some slack, no doubt, but those are nice ways to win...as a team!
Agreed...and you can call it luck, fate, determination whatever...but ultimate the good teams win, the bad teams...well they get an OT Loss or SO Loss

Speaking of which, the Rangers have to be loving the format this year...they've gained 13 points from the shootout, not absolutely sure, but I believe they're in the top 5 in the league in that respect.

Anyway, the Bruins game was more worrying to me than the Isles game. The Islanders were a much better team that had something to play for, and they're playing in front of their home crowd (or 2/3 home crowd if you prefer). They were liable to give the Rangers difficulties and they did...it's what you get when you play against a team good enough to be in the playoffs.

Tuesday's game will be equally tough...the Habs in Montreal and they're riding a 4 game win streak against the Rangers' 5 game.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:00 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Agreed...and you can call it luck, fate, determination whatever...but ultimate the good teams win, the bad teams...well they get an OT Loss or SO Loss

Speaking of which, the Rangers have to be loving the format this year...they've gained 13 points from the shootout, not absolutely sure, but I believe they're in the top 5 in the league in that respect.

Anyway, the Bruins game was more worrying to me than the Isles game. The Islanders were a much better team that had something to play for, and they're playing in front of their home crowd (or 2/3 home crowd if you prefer). They were liable to give the Rangers difficulties and they did...it's what you get when you play against a team good enough to be in the playoffs.

Tuesday's game will be equally tough...the Habs in Montreal and they're riding a 4 game win streak against the Rangers' 5 game.
I'll take Hank over Halak anyday!

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:02 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
The difference is that good teams make their luck and bad teams get bad bounces. I believe that we deserved the Pock "lucky" shot...even though I don't see what's so lucky about it. It might have been a little soft, but we have definately played well. And I don't think that Henrik's play needs a disclaimer. It's not like he's pulling a Brian Boucher or anything, he really IS good. This team is good enough to win, and as the Colts proved in football this year, playing a lot of tight games when you might not have deserved to win can make you a lot stronger come playoff time, especially since these games are playoff atmosphere games anyway for the Rangers, so the players will know what to expect.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
plain and simple Hank has been amazing. The Rangers have gotten lucky and the old saying is you need to be good to be lucky. For a lot of the year the bounces went the other way now they are going in for us. Hard work pays off and it is a great time of year for them to get going

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Strudwicks play has lead to a few breakdowns including one that lead to a goal.

When Tyutin is back things will tighten up even more.

Yes Hank has been incredible, but the team is skating and the forwards are coming back even though he is making some incredible saves.

The Rangers have to stop taking penalties (even though some of them have been very questionable) but when they do, they are doing a great job killing them off, coupled with Lundqvists stellar play.

I dont think its just Lundqvists play that has them under 200 goals against with only 6 remaining. There are only 2 teams in the East with less than 200 GA, the Debbies and the Rangers.

Thats a testament to both the goalies and the skaters.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
we have played a lot of games this season where the puck did not bounce our way and we were the better team on the ice... the tides were bound to turn eventually and now they have...let's keep riding this wave!!!! GO RANGERS!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
The difference is that good teams make their luck and bad teams get bad bounces. I believe that we deserved the Pock "lucky" shot...even though I don't see what's so lucky about it. It might have been a little soft, but we have definately played well. And I don't think that Henrik's play needs a disclaimer. It's not like he's pulling a Brian Boucher or anything, he really IS good. This team is good enough to win, and as the Colts proved in football this year, playing a lot of tight games when you might not have deserved to win can make you a lot stronger come playoff time, especially since these games are playoff atmosphere games anyway for the Rangers, so the players will know what to expect.
I totally agree...and this is something PHILBO should realize. Philbo you said that you would not want the Rangers to face NJ. Why not?

Sure, we had some close losses against them in the past. But in the past 2 weeks we have beat teams IN close games! So why cant we now beat NJ in a close game? I'm sure we CAN!

Winning in close games teaches you how to win in those situations...so the playoffs should not put the Rangers in awe. We are going to use what we have learned during this stretch to help us win in the Playoffs!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 02:04 PM
DutchShamrock

They played an undisciplined Saturday afternoon game, they had to get right back in the saddle without going over tape and before they could allow their performance to sink in. My guess is that they focus on the penalties on their days off here. They'll try to re-establish the disciplined hockey that has certainly been a strength over the last month. Hopefully everything else falls into line when the discipline returns... they can regain their flow and tempo, they can get everyone involved and wear down the oppostion, they can keep their scorers out for a larger portion of the game.

The one thing that is concerning me is the powerplay. It is attrocious lately. If they don't score on lengthy 5 on 3's they won't get very far. They absolutly have to capitalize on the pp. Mara has to replace Straka on the point and the 1st unit has got to shoot. Put Prucha on the left wing to spread the pk'ers out against the Jagr unit. Renney has stuck with this formula for way too long, it's just not working and it will kill us if we run into a hot goalie or strong defensive team. The chances dry up in the playoffs.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote