HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What are the most exciting short series in history?

Old
06-14-2014, 12:56 AM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
What are the most exciting short series in history?

I count 4 or 5 games as exciting. I really thought that this SC Final was great despite it only went 5 games. 3 OT games, 2 in double OT. Even game 4 which was meh, was memorable for how close the Kings came. I know the series went 5 games, and I know that the it looked like men against boys in almost every 3rd period. But I really think that it was a very close 5 game series.

So what are some of the most exciting short series. One that I can remember was 06 Sabres vs. Sens. Pretty big upset, but 2 great teams, 3 OTs, I think. In the 3 OTs, one was a 7-6 insane game.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:27 AM
tjcurrie

Stars sweeping the oilers in round one 1999 was pretty good I'd say.

Game 1: Stars 2 oilers 1
Game 2: Stars 3 oilers 2
Game 3: Stars 3 oilers 2
Game 4: Stars 3 oilers 2 (3OT)

Smack in the middle of their rivalry, it was a heckuva series. The Stars were the much better team and just weren't going to lose, but the oilers made each game close. That last one was a thriller.

I don't know if you'll find one that would beat this.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 06-14-2014 at 01:32 AM.
tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 04:38 AM
double5son10

Old-timers would probably point to 1951 Finals, Toronto beating Montreal 4 games to 1, with every game going to OT, Bill Barilko's legendary diving shot being the series winner.
In my lifetime the Canadiens '76 Finals sweep of Philadelphia comes to mind. Two great, great teams and every game was tight-checking and close.

Last edited by double5son10: 06-14-2014 at 04:45 AM.
double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Dennis Bonvie

1980 Islanders-Bruins Round 2.

5 games, 3 OTs, massive brawl in game 2, Islanders win 4 games to 1.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Hawkey Town 18

I remember the 1992 Cup Finals (Pittsburgh vs. Chicago) being pretty exciting even though Pittsburgh swept. 3 of the 4 games were 1-goal games and the other a 2-goal.

Another mention is the 2010 Western Conference Finals (Chicago vs. San Jose). Another sweep but Hawks had come from behind wins in 3 of the 4 games, two of which were from 2 goals down. Also had the famous incident where Duncan Keith lost 7 teeth taking a puck to the mouth at San Jose's blueline on a clearing attempt that turned into a big goal for the Sharks

Hawkey Town 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:36 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I remember the 1992 Cup Finals (Pittsburgh vs. Chicago) being pretty exciting even though Pittsburgh swept. 3 of the 4 games were 1-goal games and the other a 2-goal.

Another mention is the 2010 Western Conference Finals (Chicago vs. San Jose). Another sweep but Hawks had come from behind wins in 3 of the 4 games, two of which were from 2 goals down. Also had the famous incident where Duncan Keith lost 7 teeth taking a puck to the mouth at San Jose's blueline on a clearing attempt that turned into a big goal for the Sharks
Holy ****, that sounds familiar. Kings came back from behind in 3 OT games and in two from 2 goals down.

Old
06-14-2014, 10:38 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

VAN/COL in 2001 - Sweep for Colorado but Vancouver actually held the lead in this series for longer than Colorado. Even with Naslund out with a broken leg.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:58 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
VAN/COL in 2001 - Sweep for Colorado but Vancouver actually held the lead in this series for longer than Colorado. Even with Naslund out with a broken leg.
Also reminds me of the finals this year. LA held the lead for 70 out of 370 minutes approximately. Ugh.

Old
06-14-2014, 03:01 PM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
1994-95

Game 1 Van 1 Chic 2 (OT)
Game 2 Van 0 Chic 2
Game 3 Chic 3 Van 2 (OT)
Game 4 Chic 4 Van 3 (OT)

Vancouver had a 3rd period lead in all three of the OT losses. After looking at the game summary Chicago only had a lead before OT once in the series, in the game 2 shutout with the winner coming in the 1st period.

Last edited by Kirikanoir: 06-14-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:21 PM
vadim sharifijanov
TRUMP-BENNING 2016

i nominate vancouver/SJ in 2011.

the entire series was played on the PP, with both teams' units scoring at crazy clips. SJ had the lead in the 3rd in 3/5 games, and even the game 2 blowout was a only one goal game until ben eager lost his mind in the third period, and SJ was easily the better team in the game 4 loss but luongo stood on his head (as did the amazing burrows/kesler PK unit).

it was over quick, but in every game you felt like if SJ had a PP they had a chance. even the best canucks PK i've seen in 25 years of fandom could only occasionally slow them down.

vancouver/SJ games were really fun that year. lots of lead changes and run and gun. there was a stretch run game that year where vancouver had three different leads, with SJ tying it up each time, before burrows pulled the burrows move on niemi in the shootout.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Big Phil

I would say Montreal/LA 1993. It ends in 5 games. In all honesty, I don't think people remember the actual intensity of that series. For whatever reason we've put it in our heads that Montreal was destined to win those games. Not true. Game 1 is all Gretzky and L.A.

Game 2 needed a tying goal from that famous penalty on McSorley and then overtime to win it and tie the series. Overtime again in Game 3 with Montreal winning early. Game 4 overtime. That "wink" Roy gives to Sandstrom makes us think that he would have never let a goal in. But think of it this way, that series was 2-1 L.A. at that time. The game is in overtime. The Kings have Wayne Gretzky on their team. A goal for them and the series is tied and a whole new ballgame. Either way the Habs score and then win Game 5 easily.

It was pretty inevitable that the Habs were going to win Game 5 at home. They just simply were not going to let that one slide. But up until then, nothing was in the bag that series.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Islanders vs. Ranger playoff series, 1984.

The last of four straight springs (1981-84) that those two rivals met in great series. The best team on earth at the time (nearing the end of their four year Cup run) versus a very game opponent.

Trust me Snowblind. NYR vs. NYI or NYR vs. NJD these days (decades) can't compare to those playoff series in terms of intensity. And the 1984 series, a best-of-five that went the distance, was epic.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 01:39 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I would say Montreal/LA 1993. It ends in 5 games. In all honesty, I don't think people remember the actual intensity of that series.
I agree with this. I've said it before -- L.A. won game 1 easily; L.A. deserved to win game 2 (and were overall the better team) but were robbed by a technicality penalty that cheapens the sport (and which other sports don't allow); L.A. probably deserved to win game 3, or at least there should have been a penalty shot called with 5 seconds left when Carbonneau gloved the puck off the goal-line. L.A. didn't necessarily deserve game 4, but they certainly could have won it since it went to overtime.

Down 3 games to 1, L.A. should have been up 3 to 1, or could have conceivably won in 4-straight had the refereeing been more reasonable. I still think the "illegal stick" call in game 2 is one of the NHL's lower moments -- baseball finds ways to avoid cheap things like pine-tar on the bat deciding World Series games, but hockey hasn't been smart enough to figure that out. (And anyway, why would the rules limit the curve of someone's stick? Makes no sense.)

Everyone remembers the Calgary / Edmonton series in '84, '86, and '91 as 7-game classics, which they were. But we tend to think of 1988 as a one-sided series, since it was a sweep. Actually, it was very close. Game 1 was decided in the final minutes of the third. Game two needed a shorthanded goal in OT for Edmonton, who'd trailed all game, to win. Game three in Edmonton was very close. Only game 4 was a bit one-sided, and even then Calgary mounted a last-ditch comeback.

Last edited by The Panther: 06-15-2014 at 08:45 AM.
The Panther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
And anyway, why would the rules limit the curve of someone's stick? Makes no sense.
1/2~3/4" all thats permitted since the late 60's when they outlawed the Banana Blades. Problem with the bigger hooks was that the puck in flight would defy physics pretty much, neither the shooter really & most certainly not the goalie knowing where its going. Extremely dangerous & for quite a few years there guys basically just skating in to below the Blue Line & letting fly. Hockeys version of the Spitball.

Only way to deal with it was to limit the warp & then ding transgressors with 2 minutes if caught using one. Coaches using it strategically in key games when they spot someone using an illegal curve... some debate in certain circles over why the 2 minute penalty, just take the stick away from the offender altogether & carry on.

But if your advocating or suggesting there should be no limits on curves, well, tell ya what; go get into some goaltending equipment & face any number of players with Banana Blades in a shooting drill. Oh, they'll in 8-10 shots hit the general area of the net, but just where neither they nor you will know... breaking your collarbone.... hits you in the neck or head..... ya, thats some kinda fun alrighty..... and good luck with passing accuracy, Back Handers. Aint happenin.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 08:45 AM
The Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
...8-10 shots hit the general area of the net, but just where neither they nor you will know... breaking your collarbone.... hits you in the neck or head..... ya, thats some kinda fun alrighty..... and good luck with passing accuracy, Back Handers. Aint happenin.
Thank you for the detailed explanation! At the same time, though, I think this just proves my point, doesn't it? If a wicked curve makes a shot wildly inaccurate, why would any pro choose to use it? And if he does, more power to him!

As far as hurting the goalies... I don't think that's an issue nowadays when they're all encased in Moon-suits with padding that would stop shots from Uzis. But it might have been more of an issue in the 60s...

The Panther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Killion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
As far as hurting the goalies... I don't think that's an issue nowadays when they're all encased in Moon-suits with padding that would stop shots from Uzis. But it might have been more of an issue in the 60s...
The combination of the wider use of the slapshot & the Banana Blades in the early 60's, ya, forever altered how goalies played the position heralding in the Stand~Up era, stampede to mask makers far & wide, demands for improved equipment.... fast forward to the mid-to-late 80's and with the game changing rapidly from its North-South to Full Cycle and again new stick technologies to todays hybrid composites, release time incredible, speed & accuracy superior, the shots themselves all pretty much "heavy" and in reaction to all of that; the Butterfly, "Moon-suit" or Michelin Man goalie gear and todays guys still black & blue from shots that get through. All these increases in goalie gear, not to"cheat", its in reaction to whats going on out front of them. Changing game, stick technology...

A Banana Blade in todays cycling, passing & stickhandling game would be a handicap for most players but sure, you could designate a guy on the point in PP situations. Someone with a killer slapshot, give him a Banana Blade & feed him the puck.... be just great Panther, until the first recorded Homicide takes place & he could kill just as easily one of his own team mates as he could an opponent... let alone the goalie... or odds against chance & Hallelujah score a goal.... You've obviously never tried out a Banana Blade or faced one as a goalie. You should experience it. Pretty bizarre to say the least what it does to a pucks flight. Its just not accurate delivering way more mustard on the puck than is palatable or acceptable..

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 10:42 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Wasn't that the year Forsberg dominated us?

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Sentinel

DRW -- FF 97 wasn't particularly close, but was very exciting. A Fedorov-Draper-Lidstrom-Murphy defensive unit from hell smothering the Legion of Doom, Joe Kocur scoring one goal after another, and then, finally, Darren McCarty turning Janne Ninimaa inside out. The Captain finally raises the Cup. Mmmm.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote