HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Victor Hedman's "Breakout" Season

Old
06-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
Victor Hedman's "Breakout" Season

This past season is largely seen as Victor Hedman's coming out party, especially offensively. And why not? He had 55 points in 75 games, up from 20 in 44 the year prior, and 23 in 61 the year before that. Something bugs me about that storyline though. Looking closer at his stats from the past two years especially, it comes out that while he definitely scored more points more frequently, it mainly came from being put in a better opportunity to succeed, rather than a significant step forward in his development.

This season he scored 35 points even strength, for a PPG of .47 points per game. Solid numbers from a Dman - great even. However, he also scored 14 points with a man advantage, and six points short-handed. That's 20 points on special teams - also pretty damn good.

Compare that to the year prior. Hedman had 18 points in 44 games Even Strength, for a PPG of .41 points per game. That's actually, still really damn good. For comparison, PK Subban - your Norris winner from that year, had 18 points in 42 games even strength. Hedman was neck and neck with EV points with the scoring leader last season - that's a storyline that gets no play. Add in that PK got almost 5 minutes of PP time a game (4:42 to be exact), with the first unit, and Hedman got 1:44 of PP time a game, exclusively with the second unit, and the offensive gap doesn't seem so large.

This season his time on ice for the PP was still rather low, at 2:29 a game, but for the second half of the season this was with the top unit, and he collected a lot of points from it. Additionally, he chipped in six points short-handed, largely due to being the top PKer, who would most often go out with TJ and Palat in our now much more aggressive PK (for evidence of this, Tampa scored 10 shorthanded goals this season. Last season Tampa scored zero, and the season before that they scored 2, and the season before that they scored 1).

So okay PA - what are you getting at here. Basically it's this - Hedman didn't really "breakout" offensively. He's been really good for awhile now. The change is in how he's being used, especially on the power play. Just by giving him a minute more a game, and putting him with the top talent, his points ballooned. The major difference with his game has been his ability to score goals, but beyond that, this isn't a new Hedmonster - this is the same Hedmonster we knew and loved all along.

On top of that, I would expect similar production from him next year, except he's going to be given top PP time right from the gate. What does this mean? Frankly, I would be shocked if he didn't easily clear 60 points if he stays healthy. He had 55 in 75 this year while not getting a ton of top PP time for about half of the season - Cooper has been a godsend for this kid. He put talent with talent, and, shocker, it blossomed.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 10:21 AM
chasespace

vCash: 500
Hedman truly "broke-out" during the shortened season. When he came back from the KHL he was on a tear and was dictating play and eagerly jumping into the rush. He became a force that year and has steadily improved all around since.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Vermin
ainec

It's funny how some people on HF say that Hedman was "terrible before this season" or something like this. Truth is that he has consistently grown as a player. 11-12 campaign was probably his worst but he 'saved' it after coming back from the injury and being a complete stud top-pairing guy after coming back from that injury in the end of the season. In the 12-13 season he was a stud - even more so this year. I think this year was his indeed his breakout season, though. He was way more consistent this year than ever before, even though he could be still a bit more consistent. But yeah, I mostly agree with the OP.

Vermin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 02:00 PM
TampaClay

Hedman has been overlooked for a long time by the rest of the hockey world because of the huge expectations put on him, but I think he's been consistently getting better every year. That being said, this was by far his best year and let's hope he keeps it going and continues to develop into the elite defenseman he has the potential to be (I think he's on the verge of stardom now). You're spot on about Cooper being a gift for Hedman though, I think he will really take off under Coop's watch.

On a side note, I just joined hfboards, so hey guys!

TampaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 02:58 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaClay View Post
Hedman has been overlooked for a long time by the rest of the hockey world because of the huge expectations put on him, but I think he's been consistently getting better every year. That being said, this was by far his best year and let's hope he keeps it going and continues to develop into the elite defenseman he has the potential to be (I think he's on the verge of stardom now). You're spot on about Cooper being a gift for Hedman though, I think he will really take off under Coop's watch.

Hi there. Welcome to the Thunderdome.

On topic. Hedman was a present that just took sometime to unwrap. Even now I am not even sure he has reached his full potential. Hedman at 60 points doesn't seem out of reach. If he can consistently play at this level, he will be a Norris winner sooner rather than later.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 06:58 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Welcome to the nut house clay!!

Anyway I am thinking along with Stryfe that hedman can do a LOT more lol.

I do not know what it will take for him to get the recognition or accolades or anything else he has earned and will keep earning but we for sure value him more than this board most of the time lol.

Anyway guess after we get some cups we can get to where he might be able to hold his own with a doughty or mcdonagh or someone in the top ten.

Just saying. The sickest thing is that people still don't realize Hedmonster has broken out lol.

Is all good hope he just maintains and does what he does I am very happy myself with his progression.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Sky04

Still looking for more consistency defensively, though that can probably be helped with a more stable partner. One thing I'd like to see is more physicality from him, he has no intimidation factor along the boards.

I disagree that "he's been this good for awhile", he really hasn't. His "offensive" game in seasons past was taking the puck for a nice rush, get a shot on goal and hustle back with his great skating. He's doing so much more offensively which is attributed to years of learning the league, understanding when to pinch, where to go and where to put the puck.

Though it's pretty awesome because there's still so much more he can improve on despite putting up a 55 point season.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 03:19 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

I love his pinches or him breaking out with 3 strides from his own blueline to the opponent's in half a second to create a chance. What a beast.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 03:54 AM
Stamper

If Hedmonster gets 55~ points next season ppl might put him in the top ten

But he would of course still be behind OEL, who is apparently better than Hedman in every way

Stamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 03:56 AM
Stamper

And Hedmans biggest improvement this year was a sort of 'enlightment' of what he can do in the offensive side of the game

Stamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
I'll also say this - he was by far the smartest player on the blue line with his pinches/rushes (except for maybe, surprisingly, Brewer). Maybe it's due to his skating, but it rarely hung the D out to dry - he was always able to get back.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 04:33 PM
garmonbozia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamper View Post
And Hedmans biggest improvement this year was a sort of 'enlightment' of what he can do in the offensive side of the game
I like this notion of 'enlightment' as better self-understanding of what he can do. It felt to me like when Stamkos went down Hedman did more to make sure he was one of the guys stepping up to fill that monstrous void. The growth in his self-confidence and growth of his offensive usage were necessitated by Stamkos' absence, and Hedman met the challenge. That he was able to be more accountable and responsible in his play when it was needed most says more to me of his maturation than the numbers can alone.

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Stamverine
ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ

I'd been wanting to make a post about Hedman. Well put, PA. Norris nominee this coming year, please.

Stamverine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 07:28 PM
B A T M A N
Risen

Hedman has been criminally underrated for years now. He has been my favourite defenseman in the entire league for a while. I just STILL cannot believe he didn't even get an Olympic appearance, and someone like Johnny Oduya did.

I just don't know what to make of that. It's a complete slap in the face.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 09:10 PM
toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrious View Post
Hedman has been criminally underrated for years now. He has been my favourite defenseman in the entire league for a while. I just STILL cannot believe he didn't even get an Olympic appearance, and someone like Johnny Oduya did.

actually a snub

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 09:19 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaClay View Post

willkommen

LoSTRaMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 10:42 PM
The YzerJesus
HoseEmAllAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky04 View Post
Still looking for more consistency defensively, though that can probably be helped with a more stable partner. One thing I'd like to see is more physicality from him, he has no intimidation factor along the boards.

I disagree that "he's been this good for awhile", he really hasn't. His "offensive" game in seasons past was taking the puck for a nice rush, get a shot on goal and hustle back with his great skating. He's doing so much more offensively which is attributed to years of learning the league, understanding when to pinch, where to go and where to put the puck.

Though it's pretty awesome because there's still so much more he can improve on despite putting up a 55 point season.
I agree 100% with this. He's a little inconsistent on the defensive side sometimes... He'll put a good game together, then be a trainwreck. Also, I understand he's not that type of player, but he needs to show some physicality out there. I remember one time, back in the Hedmonster phase, just getting off his concussion, he just one handed a player of the puck, and the forward flew backward. That was awesome to see, and I'd love to see it more.

Skates like the wind. Offensive instincts are really starting to show now.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
What are your expectations for Victor this season?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:11 AM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
What are your expectations for Victor this season?
Offensively he could be even better. He didn't really start to explode last year until almost December, and our PP wasn't nearly as good pre-Callahan as it was post-Callahan, so there will be more points available to him if he keeps his PP spot. Can't see him being removed, even with the acquisition of Garrison.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Nepean Lightning

Im still surprised that Hedmonster didnt make the Swedish Olympic team.

Nepean Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 02:07 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepean Lightning View Post
Im still surprised that Hedmonster didnt make the Swedish Olympic team.
I think the he coach hates him, or judges him from play from earlier games, when he as not the Hedmonster yet. Hedman hates him, the main reason I think he rejected th world championships.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 05:09 PM
walle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
I think the he coach hates him, or judges him from play from earlier games, when he as not the Hedmonster yet. Hedman hates him, the main reason I think he rejected th world championships.
I think saying coach hates him is not true but obviously Hedman's positive traits werent enough to change coach's whole plan for the tournament. After all they had 2 NHL pairings ready and with Karlsson there is one choice to make, who's gonna play with him. Kinda hard to say it was wrong since only they missed was Gold medal.. It was a team where Ekman-Larsson couldnt play TOP6 minutes. And besides Hedman, guys like Enstrom, Lindholm, Brodin werent on the team.. all top4 guys in the NHL. But to me, it wasnt really that surprising. Some guys were gonna miss it regardless of skill.

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 05:17 PM
Vermin
ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by walle View Post
I think saying coach hates him is not true but obviously Hedman's positive traits werent enough to change coach's whole plan for the tournament. After all they had 2 NHL pairings ready and with Karlsson there is one choice to make, who's gonna play with him. Kinda hard to say it was wrong since only they missed was Gold medal.. It was a team where Ekman-Larsson couldnt play TOP6 minutes. And besides Hedman, guys like Enstrom, Lindholm, Brodin werent on the team.. all top4 guys in the NHL. But to me, it wasnt really that surprising. Some guys were gonna miss it regardless of skill.
I quite agree with this post. I think Hedman should have made the roster over Edler (Tallinder was there for leadership anyway) but then again, Edler was excellent in the Olympics. Mårts made the decisions by picking the players who fit his system and needs, not by who are simply the best players. He did good job with that, too.

Vermin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:02 PM
Brie

Quote:
Originally Posted by B A T M A N View Post

Trust me, people in Sweden are still asking about that, but they wanted Oduya because he plays with Hjalmarsson in Chicago, same reason why Johathan Ericsson was picked as well, because he plays with Kronwall (Mårts wanted as many player that played together everyday as possible to try and avoid having to work on finding chemistry and could just work on the game-plan, but it’s not so strange, Canada did it as well), so who knows, maybe with Strålman coming in the Swedish scots will look more at the team with two Swedish defensemen, especially if Hedman keeps improving and growing then he will have to be there in the future, him and Brolin from the Wild were the two d-men snubs.

Hmm, if Hedman and Strålman plays together, should we call them “The Real Men” – line, or maybe “The Real Man” – line.

Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 03:52 AM
garmonbozia

This thread makes me think of Victor Hedman dressed in some matching stripe print GrrAnimal little boy outfit sitting in front of a big console tube TV with his atari 2600 manhandling the little paddlewheel controller as he dominates Breakout.

DOOM

garmonbozia is offline   Reply With Quote