HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tweaks = Back to the Finals = Better result

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2014, 10:32 AM
  #51
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usascout1 View Post
that if there's a move to be made with Staal for a 1C you make it.
I keep seeing this. I really don't see what 1C people think they're getting in a trade for Staal.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
  #52
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I keep seeing this. I really don't understand what 1C people think they're getting in a trade for Staal.
And also what 1C is cheaper than Staal and then who takes Staal's place, who, in my mind, helped float Stralman's boat at times and is going to get better, and a team that relies so much on defense, it may not be the best loss of a roster spot. I see where people are coming from though. It's so tight monetarily and the LA series highlighted the need for a top line player that one can drum-up only one logical solution, as illogical as it may be.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:40 AM
  #53
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,973
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
And also what 1C is cheaper than Staal and then who takes Staal's place, who, in my mind, helped float Stralman's boat at times and is going to get better, and a team that relies so much on defense, it may not be the best loss of a roster spot. I see where people are coming from though. It's so tight monetarily and the LA series highlighted the need for a top line player that one can drum-up only one logical solution, as illogical as it may be.
I'd also add, what 1C that is Staal's age?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:41 AM
  #54
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not really trying to be bleak, but there are definite concerns that this surprising and fun run masked. I really don't want to re-hash MSL, but I really am dreading going 3 drafts without a first round pick (at least as things stand).
I hear you on this. We won't feel the effects of not having a pick for a couple years, but it will be felt, and further, you do lose those potential trade pieces and really can't use picks to trade for a need. Both pick-wise and cap-wise, this team is not very well setup today. Either need to find a steal, or someone has to step things up, otherwise this team could enter next season with virtually the same team, minus Richards (who helped the team get there, and think he at least did pretty well against PITT), and perhaps minus others because they cannot afford them, even with Richards being bought out. Think Brooks had an analysis in the Post today that kind of paints the picture. And bleak isn't the right word. It's more like stuck with what they got, which may not be horrible so long as Lundqvist plays the way he's capable of playing.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:42 AM
  #55
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd also add, what 1C that is Staal's age?
yes, as opposed to a 33 year old who'd on the other side of his career. Seen that all to often.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:45 AM
  #56
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
There's a chance that not having those picks will not affect us at all. Gotta hit some home runs with 2nd or 3rd rounders. Or later. There's a chance we've already done that, potentially twice, in last year's draft. Gotta keep doing it.

The thing is, I don't see the need for massive change. Tweaks is all it is and tweaks are not that expensive. We need to look for more deals like MDZ for Klein. We need to have a couple of our forward prospect crop peak through. We need to see continued natural progress from Kreider, McDonagh, Moore, and maybe one of Brassard or Stepan. That's it. I think we can do it again next year if some of those things happen.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:50 AM
  #57
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
There's a chance that not having those picks will not affect us at all. Gotta hit some home runs with 2nd or 3rd rounders. Or later. There's a chance we've already done that, potentially twice, in last year's draft. Gotta keep doing it.

The thing is, I don't see the need for massive change. Tweaks is all it is and tweaks are not that expensive. We need to look for more deals like MDZ for Klein. We need to have a couple of our forward prospect crop peak through. We need to see continued natural progress from Kreider, McDonagh, Moore, and maybe one of Brassard or Stepan. That's it. I think we can do it again next year if some of those things happen.
I don't know how not having a first round pick wouldn't affect you unless all potential picks become busts.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:55 AM
  #58
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't know how not having a first round pick wouldn't affect you unless all potential picks become busts.
It doesn't affect you if you pull first round quality out of later rounds, the way the Wings did for years.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:00 AM
  #59
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't know how not having a first round pick wouldn't affect you unless all potential picks become busts.
It wouldnt affect us if we had supreme scouts that really found the gem's in the rough in like 2 of 3 of the drafts we don't have a first.

Last year certainly seems like an indication that they hit home runs on all 3 of our 3rd round picks. Duclair and Buch project to be 2nd and 3rd line players. Tambelini projects to be a 3rd or 4th.

Haggerty, Bodie, and the Czech guy have decently high ceilings.

The Thomas for Kristo trade was incredibly fortunate.

In a year or two, Nash will be able to be traded for a first round pick and some prospects, as well.

That being said, generally, we seem to be a middle of the pack drafting team. We've had our fair share of busts to accompany our successes. We still haven't found a 1c in years. Haven't found a 1st line wing talent that will pot over 70 points. Kreider is great, but he's a great complement - he's not "the guy". And besides Staal, we haven't really drafted a guy who has become a #1 defender. Skjei is still a ways away and who knows if he'll pan out.

The formula for the team is, and should continue to be - find gem depth players.. sign the talent.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:02 AM
  #60
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
It doesn't affect you if you pull first round quality out of later rounds, the way the Wings did for years.
wouldn't you want more picks though? Just because you have a #1 pick and pick that wisely doesn't mean you shouldn't draft well in later rounds. The more prospects, the merrier. Aside from that, you always like to increase your chances of finding quality talent in the draft, and those chances decrease without a number one pick. I know what you're saying, as you're "what if" is what if they find that guy later, I'm taking a step back and saying it's tough to rely on that, and even if you find a gem in the later rounds, it's always nice to have others also in the pipeline.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:40 AM
  #61
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
wouldn't you want more picks though? Just because you have a #1 pick and pick that wisely doesn't mean you shouldn't draft well in later rounds. The more prospects, the merrier. Aside from that, you always like to increase your chances of finding quality talent in the draft, and those chances decrease without a number one pick. I know what you're saying, as you're "what if" is what if they find that guy later, I'm taking a step back and saying it's tough to rely on that, and even if you find a gem in the later rounds, it's always nice to have others also in the pipeline.
I would rather have more picks, yes. We don't have the next 2 first round picks. All I'm saying is that means we absolutely need to draft well in later rounds. Maybe in a way that isn't necessarily true when you have those top picks. But we don't. Extra emphasis.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:48 AM
  #62
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
Did everyone have a good look at how the Rangers played offensively in the OT periods on Friday? I will never understand why they didn't attack like that in the rest of the series. The flow of the puck, the pressure, the scoring chances - this team can do that but for some reason didn't. Seems like a bunch of the guys just ran out of gas, Richards and G especially.

Overall, the Rangers need more of a killer instinct. Nash needs a personality transplant or something, somebody needs to make him angry. We need to learn how to close, stop making so many passes and take the shot, and make sure that shot is on target!!

The whole team needs a summer full of target practice, put a net in the back year, get a playstation, just put in some hours and do something

Slats needs to trade some playmaking for closing and to add some more aggressiveness, team is too soft and tends to get pushed around at times

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:53 AM
  #63
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
We need to replace B-Rad, and we can really use a D who has a good shot from the blue line. I doubt we can trade or pickup a Dman that will bring that though.

At the least we should buyout Beav and sign ROR. I much prefer ROR over Statsny.

If we can't pickup a more offensive Dman then we should tweak our lines and put Stralman on top with McD. Girardi needs less minutes. Him and Staal can be a good shutdown line but you have to worry about both of their occasional inconsistencies. Especially Staal who can be stellar one game and horrible the next. He did have a rough season though so maybe with some rest this summer Staal can be more consistent next.

Everything else should stay the same, although I would be open to using Poo in some kind of trade. He is also pretty inconsistent and definitely takes the dumbest penalties out of the group.

I have to agree that with just a few tweaks we can be right where we need to be. I'm not sure if we will have cap space to keep everyone but it's a great feeling knowing we don't need to do much to keep a very solid team together.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:12 PM
  #64
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I would rather have more picks, yes. We don't have the next 2 first round picks. All I'm saying is that means we absolutely need to draft well in later rounds. Maybe in a way that isn't necessarily true when you have those top picks. But we don't. Extra emphasis.
I agree - tried to be careful in what I said because I did understand what you were saying and didn't want to point out too much of the obvious. Tough situation, draft-wise, to be in .

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:16 PM
  #65
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I would rather have more picks, yes. We don't have the next 2 first round picks. All I'm saying is that means we absolutely need to draft well in later rounds. Maybe in a way that isn't necessarily true when you have those top picks. But we don't. Extra emphasis.
Absolutely. And not just the latter rounds. The 2nd and 3rd round picks cannot be utter failures.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:17 PM
  #66
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I keep seeing this. I really don't see what 1C people think they're getting in a trade for Staal.
I am not sure of why people are in a hurry to trade Staal. 1st pairing defensemen do not grow on trees.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:20 PM
  #67
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,172
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I am not sure of why people are in a hurry to trade Staal. 1st pairing defensemen do not grow on trees.
A young, great top 6 center like ROR is more important than a defenseman that is on our 2nd pairing.

It's just a luxury we can't afford anymore, in my opinion.

__________________
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:22 PM
  #68
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
A young, great top 6 center like ROR is more important than a defenseman that is on our 2nd pairing.

It's just a luxury we can't afford anymore, in my opinion.
That is your view and I respect it. IMO, a legit top-pairing defenseman is more important than a forward. Just because Staal plays on the 2nd pairing, that does not obfuscate what he really is.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:24 PM
  #69
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I am not sure of why people are in a hurry to trade Staal. 1st pairing defensemen do not grow on trees.
Optimally you keep the top4 as it is now, but as you said Staal is a 1st pairing defenseman. The Rangers already have two of them signed going forward. Do you think Staal will take second pairing money just because he plays on it? They cannot afford to pay 3 1st pairing defensemen. He is starting to look like the odd man out unless they cannot get Stralman on a long term deal with a smaller cap hit.

__________________

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:24 PM
  #70
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,046
vCash: 500
I'm in no hurry to trade Staal, but I think it's worth listening to what the market has to offer. My main concern is that Staal's replacement would be Moore. That's a much sharper downgrade than replacing Stralman with Klein.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM
  #71
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,172
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
That is your view and I respect it. IMO, a legit top-pairing defenseman is more important than a forward. Just because Staal plays on the 2nd pairing, that does not obfuscate what he really is.
Agree to disagree then.

I'm really in no rush to trade Staal either, he was flat out excellent the first two series, and he got better as the Kings series went on. But I think a young top 6 center is more important, tis all.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:26 PM
  #72
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
Theres just too many free agents to assume that some "tweaks" is all thats needed in the offseason. Things are going to change.

I'd suggest signing almost all the free agents and looking to make a big splash trade for a center.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:33 PM
  #73
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,070
vCash: 500
I think signing Staal longterm and signing Stralman is amongst the highest priorities.

Sather needs to be careful to not chip away at a solid foundation on defense thats carried the team for years now along with Lundqvist.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:34 PM
  #74
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik
 
Doctor King Schultz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
We need to replace B-Rad, and we can really use a D who has a good shot from the blue line. I doubt we can trade or pickup a Dman that will bring that though.

At the least we should buyout Beav and sign ROR. I much prefer ROR over Statsny.

If we can't pickup a more offensive Dman then we should tweak our lines and put Stralman on top with McD. Girardi needs less minutes. Him and Staal can be a good shutdown line but you have to worry about both of their occasional inconsistencies. Especially Staal who can be stellar one game and horrible the next. He did have a rough season though so maybe with some rest this summer Staal can be more consistent next.

Everything else should stay the same, although I would be open to using Poo in some kind of trade. He is also pretty inconsistent and definitely takes the dumbest penalties out of the group.

I have to agree that with just a few tweaks we can be right where we need to be. I'm not sure if we will have cap space to keep everyone but it's a great feeling knowing we don't need to do much to keep a very solid team together.
Pouliot is a UFA. I would replace him if an upgrade were available, otherwise I would try to resign him to a similar deal to what he got this year. He was on our best line this year, although inconsistent is the word I would use to describe him.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:35 PM
  #75
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,172
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I think signing Staal longterm and signing Stralman is amongst the highest priorities.

Sather needs to be careful to not chip away at a solid foundation on defense thats carried the team for years now along with Lundqvist.
He really made his own bed by not getting these extensions done earlier.

Again, being in the final at all raises the value of everyone, and every FA on this team already deserves a raise.

Sather has to get really creative.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.