HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Official Golf Thread.

Old
03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Arcane

vCash: 500
OT: The Official Golf Thread.

Where are the golfers here?.

Can't wait for the season. Just bought a new set of irons and i'm looking to break 80 this year.

What clubs do you shoot? Where do you usually golf? Whats your handicap?.

By the way, buddy of mine purchased one of those new Nike drivers and it looks ********. He said it hits straight 98% of the time but it shaves some distance off.

My advice if your looking to buy one of these is to learn how to properly swing a club instead of covering it with some stupid driver.

Drop your comments people.

You have to love a sport that encourages drinking and driving.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Great summer topic, or year round for that matter.
Bought a Taylor Made R7 over the winter, I used it in Mexico a bit but I am looking forward to getting it out this year. The weather defiantly gives you the itch....

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 11:17 AM
Southern Oil

Love the topic as well. The fact that I have two small kids (2.5 years and 8 months) has really taken a chunk out of the time and money that I can spend golfing, but I still try.

Late last year I purchased a set of Clevland Launcher irons + Adams idea woods. Like them so far as they are a lot easier to hit than my 15 year old Tommy Armor 845s. I don't have an established handicap as I don't play so much but it would be about 25.

Playing year round down here is no problem but it doesn't make a difference for me unfortunately. Cheapest public course is about $30 on the weekend - but then half of the city is there as well.

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Oil View Post
Love the topic as well. The fact that I have two small kids (2.5 years and 8 months) has really taken a chunk out of the time and money that I can spend golfing, but I still try.

Late last year I purchased a set of Clevland Launcher irons + Adams idea woods. Like them so far as they are a lot easier to hit than my 15 year old Tommy Armor 845s. I don't have an established handicap as I don't play so much but it would be about 25.

Playing year round down here is no problem but it doesn't make a difference for me unfortunately. Cheapest public course is about $30 on the weekend - but then half of the city is there as well.
How do you find the distance on those Cleveland's Southern?.

Old
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
Great summer topic, or year round for that matter.
Bought a Taylor Made R7 over the winter, I used it in Mexico a bit but I am looking forward to getting it out this year. The weather defiantly gives you the itch....
I have an R5, little older but I love it. Taylor Made is tops in my book as far as drivers go IMO

Old
03-23-2007, 11:27 AM
metallicat

I used to work at a golf course here in Edmonton as a teenager, but haven't played for years. Getting a membership where I used to have one became way too expensive, and I just don't have the energy to play a round of golf after working during the hot summer months.

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Southern Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefromYellowstone View Post
How do you find the distance on those Cleveland's Southern?.
The distance is certainly better but I was playing with 15 year old clubs so I expect that any club I would have purchased would have helped. The big difference for me though is in accuracy - instead of just trying to hit the green I can actually try to pick spots which I was never able to do before. Of course it doesn't always work out

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 12:48 PM
dhawken

I was curious about that crazy lookin square Nike driver. I heard similar stories. I think Taylor Made has some square jobbie too. Expensive tho but I'd take straight 98% of the time. Believe me, i'd love to learn to swing right! I got some new Mizuno irons last summer - love em. Highly recommended.

dhawken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 03:25 PM
OILADDICT

If the weather permited it I would golf year round.(I wouldn't be able to cover my bills mind you)

Try to play about 30-35 times each summer depending on work.

In my bag

Titleist 975L-FE Driver
Original Karsten Ping Irons(circa 1970's)
Founders club 56 and 60
Yes putter

Used to be better but handicap is probably about a 8-10

OILADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Where are the golfers here?.

Can't wait for the season. Just bought a new set of irons and i'm looking to break 80 this year.

What clubs do you shoot? Where do you usually golf? Whats your handicap?.

By the way, buddy of mine purchased one of those new Nike drivers and it looks ********. He said it hits straight 98% of the time but it shaves some distance off.

My advice if your looking to buy one of these is to learn how to properly swing a club instead of covering it with some stupid driver.

Drop your comments people.

You have to love a sport that encourages drinking and driving.
MacTavish is that you? The hockey season isnt over yet, you still have a team to coach!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 04:11 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
I have an R5, little older but I love it. Taylor Made is tops in my book as far as drivers go IMO
I tried several out at Golf Town, I chose the stiff Fugicura shaft. Bought a set of X-18 Callaway Irons at the start of last season. I really like them, they are a quality product. I also purchased a practice net and mat for the garage this winter, it has worked great for improving/working on my swing. I hit balls for about two hours last night in fact. Whats your favorite ball?

Golf is a friend making machine........... Gary Player.

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Wolfpack

The nice weather gets me thinking about golf, but it's usually not until the Masters that I really get pumped up.

For those of you with the square-head Nike drivers, I read in the Journal's Business section last weekend that a bunch of them are being recalled because they are non-conforming. Won't make much of a difference unless you have a registered handicap and play in tournaments. For the hackers, it probably just means an extra 3 or 4 yards.

Callaway Big Bertha 454
Callaway Big Bertha 3-wood
Taylor Made RAC OS irons
Cleveland 54 deg. SW
Cleveland 60 deg. LW
Oddessy Dual Force 770 putter

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Lessy

Nice weather here in Northern Ontario as well... supposedly getting into the teens this weekend. I try to get out 3-4 times a week during the summer, maybe more this summer since I'm going to be working at the course. I'm pumped to try out my new Callaway irons this summer (X16's I believe) and the Mizuno fairway woods I picked up late last season.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:40 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I play plenty of golf, have competitively for quite a while in fact. Hoping that summer will come eventually so I can actually play...everything's so UGLY out this spring.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 06:03 PM
dreamshake

Where is the best place to get lessons? I want to shoot mid-to late 80's, that would require to take about 10 strokes of my current game. I know I suck.

dreamshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 06:18 PM
S Crumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Oil View Post

I just retired my 15 year old Tommy's last year also!! HAHAH! I usually buy previous year model clubs. I bought the Callaway X16 irons, the King Cobra 454 comp driver and I bought the Ping G5 3 and 5 woods. They are much cheaper if you wait until the new models come out. The 454 is a wicked driver. I love it. I have a Cleveland Tour Action 60 degree but I need a gap wedge so if anyone has a recommendation for a good 52 or 53 degree then I am all ears!! Good thread. Might as well keep the Oilers theme for the year. HA!

S Crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Baby Nilsson

Part time golfer here I actually have a Nike golf club (Sasquatch 460), but I got it has a gift, so meh. Can't wait till the season starts!

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Knighttown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Callaway Big Bertha 454
Callaway Big Bertha 3-wood
Taylor Made RAC OS irons
Cleveland 54 deg. SW
Cleveland 60 deg. LW
Oddessy Dual Force 770 putter

That's quite a bag Wolfpack, a few grand at least? Must be a player!

For the first year in awhile I've got no new gear.

Cleveland Launcher driver and 3 wood
Calloway Hawkeye 7-wood
Titliest 990 irons
Titliest Spin Mill Wedges (finally retired my Cleveland trusty rusty's this fall )
Taylor Made Rossi Belly Putter (worst putter on the planet here, I've got a Scotty Cameron in my garage)

I won my first Club Championship in the summer and am heading to BC for the Canadians this June. However, I have a baby at home so expect my 1 handicap is the best I'll ever be. Hope to be breaking a hundred by the end of the summer

Knighttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 12:12 PM
pox

vCash: 767
Send a message via MSN to pox
im a full time golf course wreaker

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 04:04 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Golf, Cricket and pro wrestling?

What are the three biggest jokes in the Universe, Alex

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Arcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
Golf, Cricket and pro wrestling?

What are the three biggest jokes in the Universe, Alex
Not a very good golf player I'm assuming?

and Wolfpack, where do you usually golf? If you could let me know and leave your clubs unattended for a bit that would be great.

Old
03-26-2007, 02:02 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

In my bag:

Callaway Ft-3 Driver
Adams 4060 TOUR 3-wood
Ben Hogan 19* hybrid
Titleist 690MB irons
Cleveland GW
Callaway Forged SW
Yonex Phil Mickelson LW
Taylor Made Monza Corza putter

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Manicmoose

I wish I can say I golf... I prefer calling it whacka da'ball... I whacka da'ball into da trees... I whacka da'ball into da sand...

I used to golf pretty good in high school, but 11 years and being rear-ended 6 times has taken its toll on my back... still not sure why people insist on hitting my cars.

Anyways, back to golf... I hope to get out a couple times this year... Colonial is accross the street from me, I feel I can get in some good damage there...

Oh and my damage sticks are Jazz Fatcat's... never bought expensive stuff, hell i got these ones 60% off even...

Manicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Wolfpack

I never buy my clubs new either - I always wait until the model I like is two or three years old so that the price comes down a bit. There is always something "better" out about every 6 months....

I won both my putter and my SW years ago, which was awesome. Last year I splurged on the irons becasue it was just time to upgrade. Honestly, I don't do many of my clubs justice, but as everyone knows, golf is a game where if you can't commit to getting out a LOT, you can't expect to improve.

Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote