HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Political stuff that just ain't thread worthy part XIII

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
Also, Ron Paul. Don't ever forget Ron Paul.
Ron Paul is like a cult leader who predicts every year that an earthquake will destroy civilization. After 30 years, there is an earthquake, and his worshipers are amazed about how right he is, even though the earthquake was something most everyone survived and were able to rebuild within a few years.

Old
06-13-2014, 03:52 PM
theotis77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Good. **** patents.

EDIT: Though worth noting that this is basically just words so far. I wouldn't build an electric car company just because Tesla promised in a blog post they'd leave me alone if I'm using their technology "in good faith."

EDIT2: Oh look, BMW is already making moves to work with Tesla technology. It's almost as if the patent system can inhibit innovation just as much as it "encourages" it.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/12/58...-electric-cars
Patents themselves, as originally intended, are fine. The problems have come about because the entire patent (and copyright) system has been bastardized. Now, patents for these giant companies are used as nothing more than an arsenal to threaten competitors with, not to foster innovation. Just stockpile as many vague, obvious patents in your portfolio as possible, and use them as a nuclear deterrent against everyone else.

Personally, I think business processes and software should absolutely NOT be patentable, only actual, valid physical inventions. And, if you do not attempt to actually produce something with your patent, I think it should be made invalid. That would get rid of these patent troll law firms.

Old
06-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Ron Paul is like a cult leader who predicts every year that an earthquake will destroy civilization. After 30 years, there is an earthquake, and his worshipers are amazed about how right he is, even though the earthquake was something most everyone survived and were able to rebuild within a few years.
Yeah, you're right-- but come on, RON PAUL! He's a miserable old racist who wants to give states the right to discriminate against people, not the mean old federal government. Everybody loves that, right? Like your old grandpa who spends all day listening to talk radio and believes he's informed, only with an actual platform.

Old
06-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post
Patents themselves, as originally intended, are fine. The problems have come about because the entire patent (and copyright) system has been bastardized. Now, patents for these giant companies are used as nothing more than an arsenal to threaten competitors with, not to foster innovation. Just stockpile as many vague, obvious patents in your portfolio as possible, and use them as a nuclear deterrent against everyone else.

Personally, I think business processes and software should absolutely NOT be patentable, only actual, valid physical inventions. And, if you do not attempt to actually produce something with your patent, I think it should be made invalid. That would get rid of these patent troll law firms.
Patents can be fine, but often they're used more to restrict competitors than to reward innovators.

It's far from a recent development. Edison, Alex Graham Bell, and the Wright Brothers all attempted to use the patent system to extract more money from people trying to build on their inventions. Ironically, for a system that's ostensibly supposed to reward innovation, those kinds of huge innovation shifts really need widespread adoption more than they need patent monopolies.

Business processes and software never belonged anywhere near the patent system in the first place.

I'm not 100% supportive of requiring that patent holders also have to be producing those inventions. There's a huge difference between inventing a product and bringing it to market, and a lot of smaller inventors really do rely on the patent system to "outsource" the production of their inventions to capable companies. But like you said, there are also patent trolls who really only buy and hold patents in an effort to try and extract rents from those producers.

Patents are something of a necessary evil. But they are still fairly evil. I don't have any real solutions, but it seems pretty clear to me that they need to be heavily reined in.

Old
06-13-2014, 05:15 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Good. **** patents.

EDIT: Though worth noting that this is basically just words so far. I wouldn't build an electric car company just because Tesla promised in a blog post they'd leave me alone if I'm using their technology "in good faith."

EDIT2: Oh look, BMW is already making moves to work with Tesla technology. It's almost as if the patent system can inhibit innovation just as much as it "encourages" it.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/12/58...-electric-cars
I'm actually a little concerned that if things don't work out for Tesla, if people don't get talking about this initiative of theirs it could be a serious setback for a more innovative and open system.

People, organizations should be pushing hard to make sure Tesla and the initiative succeeds with results. If it does - it's a step in the right direction but to repeat myself - if it doesn't work out, it could be a serious setback because they're the only example and an example of failure.

Old
06-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotis77 View Post

I know nothing of the patent system but weren't there strict limits originally - so you had your patent, you had like 5-15 years depending on the industry or type of patent but that was it. Once your time was up, it was up.

From the sounds of it today - you just renew the patent over and over again. I could be wrong though - like I said, I know almost nothing about the patent system or the history of it.

I think in my entire life I've read of patents expiring once or twice and both times it was in the pharmaceutical industry.

Old
06-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Slopo

Part political/part entertainment/part facepalm

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/06/14/...87_886261.html

Quote:
Miley Cyrus ondea la ikurriña durante su concierto en Barcelona

Miley Cyrus brought the Basque flag on stage last night in Barcelona.

Old
06-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Troy McClure

Afterwards when questioned about it, I'm sure her response was, "What's a basque?"

Old
06-15-2014, 11:47 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
https://www.riemurasia.net/kuva/Mies...ava-ase/143447

Old
06-16-2014, 06:16 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Just food for thought, not trying to make a "gotcha" point

Pew Poll reveals changes in partisanship over time

Old
06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Just food for thought, not trying to make a "gotcha" point

Pew Poll reveals changes in partisanship over time
It's hard for people on here to believe but the average person does not listen to Fox News religiously (or MSNBC) and isn't overly partisan

Old
06-16-2014, 07:27 AM
FF de Mars

#FreeQuébec

Old
06-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Vyacheslav
Pro

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Make Say Think View Post
It's hard for people on here to believe but the average person does not listen to Fox News religiously (or MSNBC) and isn't overly partisan
Why would this be hard to believe?

Old
06-16-2014, 08:27 AM
Ugmo

I'm overly partisan, but I don't watch MSNBC... well at least not until campaign time.

Old
06-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I'm just going to assume that National Review is trolling here, like with post of the anti-soccer/World Cup articles that pop up (there' some stupid one on Politico too), only taking it to as far as a level as they can:

"Soccer: Official Sport of Terrorism."

Deadspin's take on it is pretty on the money though, and it applies to other areas of life as well:

Quote:
You can't take any of this at all seriously, of course, because it's just a vague expression of hostility and suspiciousness; the actual point has nothing to do with sports, but rather with how coastal liberals, brown people, and effete Europeans like something, and how it's therefore not to be liked. What you have to wonder is how people like this get through life, utterly unable to judge anything on its merits and constantly worried that someone somewhere with whom they disagree might be getting a kick out of something.
This seems to pretty accurately describe the way the Fox News crowd reacts to things like bicycles, hybrid cars, vegetarian food, or anything else they see as "liberal".

Old
06-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
This seems to pretty accurately describe the way the Fox News crowd reacts to things like bicycles, hybrid cars, vegetarian food, or anything else they see as "liberal".
As a soccer fan, I like these odds. I think it means America will eventually be assimilated by soccer just like the GOP will eventually go the way of the Whigs.

Old
06-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Free Edler
Soft.

God damn, hopefully nobody at the National Review ever stumbles upon alcohol, marijuana or electric guitars. Then we'll all be in for it.

Old
06-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

From browsing the comments on that article (the NR one) it seems like a lot of people actually disagreed with the author.

Old
06-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Why would this be hard to believe?
We get a ton of talk about all the partisan BS that goes on in politics so it makes it seem that it's at the forefront of people's minds

I just feel like it's easy to forget that the average person isn't partisan: they either don't care or aren't informed enough to actually be partisan

Old
06-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
We get a ton of talk about all the partisan BS that goes on in politics so it makes it seem that it's at the forefront of people's minds

I just feel like it's easy to forget that the average person isn't partisan: they either don't care or aren't informed enough to actually be partisan
Maybe not rabidly partisan, but the average American is absolutely aligned toward one party or another. The number of votes that are actually up for grabs in a typical presidential election is quite small.

Old
06-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

The National Review is hot garbage.

Old
06-16-2014, 10:42 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
God damn, hopefully nobody at the National Review ever stumbles upon alcohol, marijuana or electric guitars. Then we'll all be in for it.
I sincerely hope you're not implying that soccer is worth mentioning in the same sentence as booze, weed, and good music.

Old
06-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Vyacheslav
Pro

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:

I don't think that's true. I can only speak for myself but most people I know don't give a **** about politics, I hardly ever talk about politics with any of my friends they're just not interested.

Old
06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
I sincerely hope you're not implying that soccer is worth mentioning in the same sentence as booze, weed, and good music.
No. Soccer is fun, though.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:21 PM
EvilCoop
How's Annie?

vCash: 455
William F. Buckley, Jr. must be rolling over in his grave right now. That is a really ****** article.

Closed Thread