HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Markov (is/isn't done)

Closed Thread

Old
06-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nynja View Post
Do you have any moderately recent examples where a team that made it to the second round of the playoffs let a big piece of the puzzle walk, and didnt fall apart the following year?

Fall apart = failed to make playoffs, or made it to playoffs and got beat down mercilessly in first round. And I know habs made it to ECF, but I'm giving you 8 teams to work with instead of 4.
Penguins go to Final with Hossa and lose to Wings. Pens then lose Hossa to Wings in offseason. One year later Pens without Hossa beat Wings with Hossa for Stanley Cup.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:08 PM
LeHab

5.5 for 3 years, make it happen.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Spearmint Rhino

See if anyone would give up a 2nd for his rights

3 yrs for a guy that's losing steam at year end is too much, everyone says to manage his ice time better but for $6MM you should't have to shelter a guy - he was done in the Rangers series, might have one more run him if that

Old
06-16-2014, 03:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Penguins go to Final with Hossa and lose to Wings. Pens then lose Hossa to Wings in offseason. One year later Pens without Hossa beat Wings with Hossa for Stanley Cup.
Except offense was not the issue with the Pens and they had Crosby-Malkin playing at their peak.

We on the other hand, if you let Markov go, only have PK that's pairing D. Gorges should be a top 4, Emelin should be on the bottom pair.

Beaulieu and Tinordi are two young rookies that are nowhere near ready to takeover Markov's minutes.

Old
06-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
$18M/3yrs has been my offer/hope/expectation all along, so I am glad that is all Markov is asking for. It should be a no-brainer to just sign him at that. There's no upside to wrangling over an extra year or a few measly $$$.
Yep, the armchairs want to squeeze him but that's a good deal for the team. I was expecting 4 years, only because I think he can command that. This looks like a good compromise. And yes, I even think there is opportunity to sign him on one year deals beyond this 3 year contract.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post

3 yrs for a guy that's losing steam at year end is too much, everyone says to manage his ice time better but for $6MM you should't have to shelter a guy - he was done in the Rangers series, might have one more run him if that
You don't have to shelter him. But its probably a good idea to split him of emelin.

Anyway we slice it, he's going to be a #2 for this club. So the price is 6 million per year is totally understandable. At some point during the three years, you would hope that beaulieu finds his way into that role.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:25 PM
S Bah

If the Habs sign Markov to a three yr. contract, then it should be based on the amount of games played in each progressive season. Markov is beyond the point of playing 25 mins a game, like most Hab fans I know how great a player he's been for most of his career. The problem here is integrating our younger Dmen, whilst keeping them in sheltered mins., herein lies the question of how many veterans it takes to make this happen.

Having Weaver offsets the need for Boullion, playing many mins. with Tinordi & Beaulieu on a 3rd pairing, will also relieve the mins that Markov & Emelin have to play in the regular season. Also Pateryn should be kept in as a 7th - 8th dman, so that Weaver doesn't get worn down, it's a game of patience and experience for our capable young prospects.

If the Habs get into the UFA as anticipated by most hockey people, after this yrs. playoffs then procuring both Stastny & Vanek becomes strategic. The need for a top flight center ahead of Plekanec will see his game improve dramatically, then he won't be exhausted playing against the opposition's top line every game. Thus the Habs will have a top six that's equally matched against even Pittsburgh's with Crosby & Malkin as their top centers.

With Eller easily being better than any teams 3rd center, it's a matter of signing Markov to a Cap friendly contract that enables the Habs to sign quality player for a competitive 1st line basically. Which financially they haven't been able to do even with, Price, Subban, Pacioretty, DD, Emelin, Gallagher, Eller and Plekanec all on cap friendly contracts.

Otherwise the Habs will be in the same boat, always trying to stay afloat while bailing water with tired top players exceeding their talent levels and minutes.

If Markov signs for two yrs at $4.25 mil with bonuses for reaching team goals, it may be possible to improve upon this season for the Habs.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Mr. Hab

Markov asking for 3 yrs...6mil/year (18mil in all).
Just saw this on cbc sports update.

(imo, I'd prefer 1-2yrs, max....plus he's due for a long-term injury, but...not much out there in ufa market, so...Markov will end up being signed by default imo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
Give him 3 million per for 2 years with bonuses based on games played and points which can bring him up to 6 million
Would love this but Markov would leave if this was proposed!!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-16-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old
06-16-2014, 04:38 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post

Well his ice time wasn't well managed by MT during the season.

Once the team clinched, the older players should have seen reduced minutes, and the rookies should have played more. All of Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn could have played more.

Old
06-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Team_Spirit
SAINT RADULOV

''Last I heard, and it is a fluid situation subject to change, Andrei Markov was asking Montreal for a three-year deal worth $6 million per year," TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie tweeted on Monday.

Who leaked the info to Bob? Bergevin or Berezin?

Old
06-16-2014, 05:05 PM
ScottFC

Give him 3 million per for 2 years with bonuses based on games played and points which can bring him up to 6 million

Old
06-16-2014, 05:09 PM
habsfanatics*

If this is as tough as it gets, I am hopeful.

Old
06-16-2014, 05:23 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

3yr/6m per?

You sign him. Is there really any other option out there for us? Who else is going to step into his shoes at this point?

You sign him and let Beaulieu slowly take on more to eventually replace him. To me there is absolutely no other option if you want to keep this team competive.

Old
06-16-2014, 05:24 PM
G Man 77

Chicken or the egg.

Beaulieu/Tinordi haven't proven they are ready so gotta keep Markov/Gorges.. but if you keep Markov/Gorges, no room for Beaulieu/Tinordi to prove themselves.

I'd say move Gorges, insert Tinordi with Subban.
They are both LD (G & T), both play defensive Dman role.. it fits.
It's time, and we need to save the cap $$ on Gorges.

Tinordi will have Subban to carry the puck, and the play, will ease the pressure on him playing the puck... can focus on playing good D and being physical out there.

With Markov, handing his responsibilities to Beaulieu is a bigger stretch.. ideally you'd like to be able to have Markov, and Beaulieu as a puck moving D on the 3rd pair for now, less defensive risk and a good 2nd PP option.
So I'd like to keep Markov if I can, would rather have 1-2 yrs, but could live with 3 at current salary (effectively a salary cut since cap is going up).

Only problem I have with that is that it leaves Emelin on his wrong side for at least 3 more years.. but don't see much of a choice.

That leaves re-signing Weaver on RD who is a short-term bridge to whoever in the long list of RD's in the pipeline actually makes it. (Pateryn, Nygren, Dietz, Thrower, Ellis, Didier)

Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu-Weaver

Then at #7 do you bring in Pateryn/Nygren.. or re-sign Bouillon for 1 more year, which I don't mind IF he sits all year (ie Tinordi & Beaulieu play).

If you let Markov go, then I guess they likely keep Gorges for now so as not to lose 2 of their top 4 the same year:

Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Emelin
Beaulieu-Weaver

I prefer scenario 1.
Also in scenario 1, we get something in return for Gorges.. versus nothing for Markov.

If I'd have to guess... we'll end up with scenario 1.
If I'm wrong and we go into another year without Tinordi & Beaulieu in the top 6, I'll be majorly disappointed.

Old
06-16-2014, 05:25 PM
HabsQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
6M per season, 3 years?

That's too much. Sorry. Markov is way too likely to be worth way less than this 3 years from now. Pick something else.

If you really want to sign him to that, I don't mind, but don't spend a penny on Gionta. Not even 1 season for 2M. There's a limit to getting older.
He gave us so much that I wouldnt mind paying one year too much just so I can see him retire here. He needs to stay period.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
If only that were possible.

The only way performance bonuses could be used is on a one year deal , which brings us back to square 1 . Markov wants 3 year security.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Koivu777

Markov will get re-signed and everyone will be happy after next season cuz how well he will do. Why does everyone keep hating on our veterans. I would re-sign Markov and Gionta, but let Bouillon go. And I'm not a Bouillon hater, loved the guy, especially when he broke Ovechkin's nose.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:24 PM
habsfanatics*

There is no replacement for the general. It's probably a year more than I would prefer, but we don't have much choice, Marky could get more per year on the open market rather easily.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:28 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
3years 6m... well that certainly isn't a hometown discount, to say the least.

3 years is a long term for a 35 year old athlete and he's just not worth 6m anymore. Hopefully its just a negotiation tactic.

I hope we don't end up paying over 14m for Subban-Markov...

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics
There is no replacement for the general. It's probably a year more than I would prefer, but we don't have much choice, Marky could get more per year on the open market rather easily.
Sadly true, he needs to be replaced and Beaulieu aient there yet. Its important we keep a quality vet on defense, rolling 3 rookies is risky business (it would be entertaining tho).

Old
06-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Markov4Captain

Losing Markov might be the biggest loss this team could suffer going into next season. He's not the player he used to be, but I dare you to find a better fit on this team on the market or in our prospect pool. The importance of Markov to our team is often overlooked. This guy plays the toughest minutes and aside from Subban, is the only dman who can generate anything. His defensive game is huge as well. The mere thought that Gorges and Emelin would have to take on bigger roles than they already have -to compensate for Markov's (potential) departure- is enough to give me nightmares to last a lifetime.

I'm confident Bergevin sees the importance of Markov to his team and I would surprised if a deal doesn't happen. Markov loves the team, loves the city (he even has a Canadian citizenship!) and the evolution of his relationship with Subban has been a treat to watch over the past few seasons. Losing Markov without an adequate replacement (i.e. relying on the rookies to carry the load) will sink this team next season. Our d core needs another top 3 D added to Markov and Subban. We cannot afford to lose him if we hope to have success next year.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:36 PM
vokiel
#FireMolgevin

vCash: 50
Markov @ 6m for 3 years is what I thought he would sign for. (Not necessarily for the habs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
If Markov signs for 6 mil than you can expect one of Gorges or Emelin to be traded. There would be way too much money on defense.
I'd have no problems with that since we do need to find a good top 6 RW to replace Vanek/Bourque/Brière/Gionta which are either not returning or just plain bad in that position.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:39 PM
NobleSix
Max Patio-Ready

vCash: 416
Potentially 22.5 mill for our top 4 next season? A top 4 that doesn't include a #2 Dman and instead has two #4 Dmen? Not really super stoked for that.

If Markov gets 6 million for 3 years... that hurts. Especially considering we have Gorges and Emelin until 2018.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:47 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post
Potentially 22.5 mill for our top 4 next season? A top 4 that doesn't include a #2 Dman and instead has two #4 Dmen? Not really super stoked for that.

If Markov gets 6 million for 3 years... that hurts. Especially considering we have Gorges and Emelin until 2018.
Totally agree. He just isn't a top minutes guy anymore.

Old
06-16-2014, 06:47 PM
BigDaddyLurch
#DaFoxholeIzDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post

...we do seriously need to trade one of them...either for Top 4 RD help or Top 6 RW help...

Old
06-16-2014, 07:09 PM
No More Subban

That's a lot of money. Not sure I'd pay him that.

It would suck to lose him though.

Possibly 8m for Subban + Markov 6 + Gorges 3.9 + Emelin 4.1

Holy ****.

Would that be the most expensive top 4 in the league?

Closed Thread