HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dale Weise signed 2 years / $1M AAV

Old
06-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 500
Good lord at anyone saying Weise for third line. That's how you miss the playoffs when you give people roles they simply aren't good enough for.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Good lord at anyone saying Weise for third line. That's how you miss the playoffs when you give people roles they simply aren't good enough for.
Nobody knows if he can do that role until given the chance. Tortorella had him at 6-8 minutes a game 4th line.

You don't plan your "ghost roster" with Weise on the 3rd line, but I'd plan on giving him a few looks there during the year. He showed flashes of possibly being a bit more than just a run of the mill 4th liner. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work out and he goes back to the 4th line...

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Runner77

vCash: 4300
I just love the blend of speed and physicality he provides, with an occasional scoring touch. And the willingness to pay the price in traffic areas. The type of player that allows you to play a 4th line against an opposing team with speed elements. Great on Bergevin for uncovering an undervalued asset.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Nobody knows if he can do that role until given the chance. Tortorella had him at 6-8 minutes a game 4th line.

You don't plan your "ghost roster" with Weise on the 3rd line, but I'd plan on giving him a few looks there during the year. He showed flashes of possibly being a bit more than just a run of the mill 4th liner. What's the worst that can happen? It doesn't work out and he goes back to the 4th line...
Weise was very good given his change of scenery, he flourished in the limelight and responded to his new found fame.

It will be interesting to see how he plays through an 82 game grind with the security of a new deal after becoming accustomed to the city. Adrenaline takes you only so far.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:30 PM
StellerEller

vCash: 351
wooooooooooooooo!

Love this guy!

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Smokey Thompson

Great trade and great contract.

Speed, size, character, toughness. Hands of stone but he'll get some clutch goals just by going to the net.

Love having him on our 4th line and I believe he may have dome untapped 3rd line potential.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Awesome !

Now trade Moen please.

We need that cap space used in other ways.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Awesome !

Now trade Moen please.

We need that cap space used in other ways.
Indeed, if Weise is back, it would be wise to deal Moen, as there are already a logjam of players on the 4 line...

Kass Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Runner77

vCash: 4300
Moen might be displaceable for a draft pick. Wonder what kind of pick he might fetch.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Indeed, if Weise is back, it would be wise to deal Moen, as there are already a logjam of players on the 4 line...
Especially to a hit that needs to hit the cap floor.

Trade him for a 3rd or 4rth rounder.

He can still be effective. Just not on our team.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 02:02 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Great trade and great contract.

Speed, size, character, toughness. Hands of stone but he'll get some clutch goals just by going to the net.

Love having him on our 4th line and I believe he may have dome untapped 3rd line potential.
I dunno I think we sometimes make assumptions on players' roles and employ cliche too quickly here. In the playoffs Weise was third in scoring /60 on the team, skating, positioning and passing were pretty good, one of the top shooting % on the squad. Given a chance his offense may surprise many people next year.

Agree with the 3rd line potential hope he plays there or even higher -- he's young why not try?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Mr. Hab

Weise (would have preferred 3 yrs but super happy anyway!! 1mil/year is great for an amazing playoff warrior...all heart, all speed, underrated hands...good passer, good shot).

Amazing for our 4th line and can play on the 3rd or 2nd IF injuries pile up. Huuuuuge Weise fan...huge. Playoff warrior. Love 'em playoff warriors!!!!!! Awesome!

Hands...very underrated, imo.
(he made some really nice passes to Bourque and scored a couple of nice goals in playoffs, so...hands of stone? not at all...not at all, imo).

Playoffs:
Weise was waaaaaaaaaaaay better on the 3rd (or 2nd line) VS useless diva Vanek.
(Vanek didn't want to play anymore, so of course warrior-super fast-Weise was the better choice...Vanek had millions of chances to produce on the PP but was pouting 'cause of chemistry).

Weise

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I dunno I think we sometimes make assumptions on players' roles and employ cliche too quickly here. In the playoffs Weise was third in scoring /60 on the team, skating, positioning and passing were pretty good, one of the top shooting % on the squad. Given a chance his offense may surprise many people next year.

Agree with the 3rd line potential hope he plays there or even higher -- he's young why not try?
The team playing Weise on its top-9 because he's the best option to have there should not be considered a playoffs team, let alone a contender.

Old
06-17-2014, 02:17 PM
ottawa

vCash: 69
Great deal

ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Especially to a hit that needs to hit the cap floor.

Trade him for a 3rd or 4rth rounder.

He can still be effective. Just not on our team.
He can't and he has a pricey cap hit for a 12th/13th forward.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
He can't and he has a pricey cap hit for a 12th/13th forward.
Moen was our best fourth liner all year. What exactly makes you think he can't be effective?

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 02:59 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Moen was our best fourth liner all year. What exactly makes you think he can't be effective?
I agree. If we go by the way players are trending, I'd get rid of Prust way before Moen. Prust was horrid, Moen was our best PKer.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 03:08 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
He and Prust had their moments for a bit. Especially that Colorado game. Then everyone got hurt and those two went back to crap.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Pricenyuk
Fear The Bridge Deal

vCash: 310
Great deal by MB. Congrats to 25Stanley to. A lot of people on this site give them **** when they post a rumor. It's nice to see them get this.

I wonder what this means for Moen and White. You'd think one of them will surely be traded/let go.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:13 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
The team playing Weise on its top-9 because he's the best option to have there should not be considered a playoffs team, let alone a contender.
I could say the same about a team playing Desharnais as its top centre. Or Bouillon on its power play. The difference is Weise actually delivers points and a much-needed physical presence on the Habs' 3rd line.

What is his drawback in your opinion? That he looks a bit dim? That's not unusual for hockey players

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
CH25
Fire JJD

Weise is great. I love the way he plays.

CH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:39 PM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I could say the same about a team playing Desharnais as its top centre. Or Bouillon on its power play. The difference is Weise actually delivers points and a much-needed physical presence on the Habs' 3rd line.

What is his drawback in your opinion? That he looks a bit dim? That's not unusual for hockey players
I just don't see the upside of anything more than a 15-20 points forward, who has shown inconsistency physically in Vancouver, and who has the reputation of thinking too highly of his own skills sometimes.

I was probably the most optimistic fan here after the trade was made. I knew we got our hands on a quality 4th liner, who was lightning-quick and willing to get to the dirty areas, while everyone complained about losing Rafael "Corsi-God" Diaz. But people are really going overboard here. He's a very good 4th liner who will thrive in a squad playing an up-tempo game. But in today's reality, 3rd liners have to be more than that.

Old
06-17-2014, 05:20 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
In the good to know category:

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown 18 mins
An important thing to remember with Dale Weise's new two-year deal is that it will come off Montreal's cap as soon as Lucic murders him.
I was going to ask about this issue but looks like it was resolved early.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
A million bucks a year, for two years.

Good stuff, Bergy.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 06:34 PM
habtastic

The guy was worth his weight in gold. I really think he will be an integral part of our team. Does everything, include score big goals. Great contract too!

IMO he replaced the 2013 Prust in the same areas. If we're able to get both going (mainly Prust), that'll be huge.

Edit: I totally forgot about Moen. We really do have several players who can play 3rd/4th line. All of them are good players. Hard to tell who's disposable. I've always liked Moen. Quietly does some fundamentally crucial things, though Prust (when healthy) is an adrenaline shot to this team. Oh and that Ryan White guy who was IMO terrific in the reg. season.

Question: Will people start spelling it Weise and not Weiss?

Last edited by habtastic: 06-17-2014 at 06:40 PM.
habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote