HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Anton Stralman in a Tenuous Spot with Rangers?

Old
06-16-2014, 09:50 PM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
is Stralman the new toy?.. he's very solid and had an incredible playoffs, but he's NOT worth 4-5M to the Rangers.

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I'm sure Stralman wants stability--he has 4 children. However, money is important too. If the Rangers lowball him, I'm sure he's willing to move one more time. After all. the next contract he signs is going to be a long term contract, at least 4 years I suspect.

Sather doesn't like to sign players to extensions during the season--that was probably a mistake here, since the price has definitely gone up. Stralman has a lot more bargaining power than he did early in the year.
Good grief, only 27...he's been busy. Time to send him a pack of nodders.

Wolfy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 12:47 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

It's better to have children young--parents have more energy and can survive on less sleep.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 12:58 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

A better title for this thread might be Are the Rangers in a tenuous spot with Anton Stralman?

He's a solid player worthy of a good contract. Based on comparables like Zbynek Michalek and other low/non scoring defensemen and given his service time, I think 4 years @$3.5 is a fair deal for both sides. He may get more money from a lousy team but that then becomes a cash vs. quality of life decision. Seems like the information leaking out today is making him the Rangers highest priority. That's a good start.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 03:15 AM
Blue Blooded

I feel this quote from an article I wrote back in October to be quite apt: Anton Strålman's unnoticed breakout season

Quote:
Sather/Gorton, extend him before the rest of the league figures out how good he is. It may be the difference between a 4 year $12M deal and a 6 year $30M deal.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Jyrgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Seems like the information leaking out today is making him the Rangers highest priority. That's a good start.
what info was that?

Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
is Stralman the new toy?.. he's very solid and had an incredible playoffs, but he's NOT worth 4-5M to the Rangers.
Totally agree.

I'm probably going to get rained on here, but I also hold a fair amount of suspicion of players who excel beyond their norm in contract years.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Totally agree.

I'm probably going to get rained on here, but I also hold a fair amount of suspicion of players who excel beyond their norm in contract years.
This isn't a one year blip. Stralman has been our best possession defenseman against every level of competition since we've gotten him. Blue Blooded wrote an entire article about it: http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2014/...ger-defencemen

Here's the key takeaway (quality of competition goes up as you move along the x-axis):

Stralman's our second best defenseman. He makes everyone around him better. There's a reason why our team controls the puck more than 60% of the time when you pair McDonagh with Stralman rather than with possession anchor Girardi.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 08:44 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Totally agree.

many here love to downplay real results seen with their own eyes.

when i see a player playing well in the scf and playoffs, and the media sees it, and obviously the coaches see it, i tend to believe its real.

this guy has played well in the playoffs for 3 straight years. period.

im not raining on you but i do think that this guy is way under appreciated here and i think, unlike you, this organization is making him a priority for a good reason.

he can flat out play.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
many here love to downplay real results seen with their own eyes.

when i see a player playing well in the scf and playoffs, and the media sees it, and obviously the coaches see it, i tend to believe its real.

this guy has played well in the playoffs for 3 straight years. period.

im not raining on you but i do think that this guy is way under appreciated here and i think, unlike you, this organization is making him a priority for a good reason.

he can flat out play.
I actually think its totally the opposite. I think he's way overrated on here. The last two years, he was a decent #4. This year, he's been even better and it's a contract year. On a team with three 1st pair D, he gets called the 2nd best, despite not being a 1st pair D himself.

What is happening is that the guys advanced stats are great. That leads people who really buy into them to swing entirely over to that side. I really like Stralman, but around here he's spoken of the way people speak of top pair D. I think most of the league realizes he's not, which is why there's talk of $4m range. That's not 1st pair money. He's not capable of maintaining that level of play against the kind of competition with the kind of minutes out top 3 sees. We should all realize it. The eye test bears it out.

None of that is a knock on the player. There's nothing wrong with being a solid 2nd pair D. It's a knock on perception.

Old
06-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Off Sides

vCash: 744
What do you guys think a 2nd pair RHD's cap hit will be? Other than a ELC, or RFA bridge, I think 4M is probably about right for that position. If a team does not have someone in the system or restricted that will likely be the going rate.

Volchenkov, Emelin, Ehrhoff, Brewer

D-men are difficult to find. RHD more so, youngish ones, solid ones.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Chimp

Quote:
I actually think its totally the opposite. I think he's way overrated on here. The last two years, he was a decent #4. This year, he's been even better and it's a contract year. On a team with three 1st pair D, he gets called the 2nd best, despite not being a 1st pair D himself.
We don't have three 1st pair defensemen on this team. We have McDonagh and Strålman (I would only call McD a #1 D though). Those are our only legit puck movers. Staal and Girardi are very solid defensively, but Staal is lackluster and Girardi downright terrible at handling the puck, which is a crucial element to the way NYR plays hockey now.

I disagree Strålman isn't worth $4-5m on this team, not under AV. If someone isn't worth $5.5m (with a NMC!), it's Girardi. Way too one dimensional, great under Torts, not so great under AV. If Strålman would play with McDonagh, our first pairing would be even better. But you can't play Staal and Girardi on the same pairing, they would never leave the zone.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 10:03 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
We don't have three 1st pair defensemen on this team. We have McDonagh and Strålman. Those are our only legit puck movers. Staal and Girardi are very solid defensively, but Staal is lackluster and Girardi downright terrible at handling the puck, which is a crucial element to the way NYR plays hockey now.

I disagree Strålman isn't worth $4-5m on this team, not under AV. If someone isn't worth $5.5m (with a NMC!), it's Girardi. Way too one dimensional, great under Torts, not so great under AV. If Strålman would play with McDonagh, our first pairing would be even better. But you can't play Staal and Girardi on the same pairing, they would never leave the zone.
If puck handling was the only thing required in evaluating good D, I might be inclined to agree with this. It isn't.

Old
06-17-2014, 10:14 AM
True Blue

Quote:
He is not a $5m player, but what is the going rate for a #4 defenseman? At least $2.5-4. Makes more sense to resign him and loose someone else.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
He is not a $5m player, but what is the going rate for a #4 defenseman? At least $2.5-4. Makes more sense to resign him and loose someone else.
Andrew Gross suggested somewhere around double his current contract--didn't say how many years....
Quote:
Stralman could double his salary on the open market and the Rangers may be hard-pressed to fit him under the salary cap with Girardi ($5.5 million annually) signed through 2020, McDonagh ($4.7 million) signed through 2019 and Staal ($3.98 million) seeking a raise this summer as he enters the last year of his deal.
Honestly, I don't think that's unreasonable at all. Heck wunderkind Klein got what? A four year deal averaging $2.9 million? I think Strålman is easily worth around $14 million over 4 years.

This is a guy who fits into this system extremely well. He's improved from the moment he came. People are seeming to forget how quickly he went from 10-12 minutes a game up to 2nd pair minutes when all those injuries on the blueline happened in 2011-2012. I don't think his level of play will go down, just because he has some security and stability with a long term contract.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ime_in_career/

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 06-17-2014 at 06:09 PM. Reason: correct dates
Old
06-17-2014, 02:05 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Andrew Gross suggested somewhere around double his current contract--didn't say how many years....

Honestly, I don't think that's unreasonable at all. Heck wunderkind Klein got what? A four year deal averaging $2.9 million? I think Strålman is easily worth around $14 million over 4 years.

This is a guy who fits into this system extremely well. He's improved from the moment he came. People are seeming to forget how quickly he went from 10-12 minutes a game up to 2nd pair minutes when all those injuries on the blueline happened in 1991-1992. I don't think his level of play will go down, just because he has some security and stability with a long term contract.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ime_in_career/
You're about ten years off on that one.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
You're about ten years off on that one.
More like 20.

Old
06-17-2014, 03:34 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
More like 20.
Well that's embarrassing

Old
06-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Well that's embarrassing
Why is it embarrassing? I'm not paid to write here and I'm sure that most people--at least those familiar with the Rangers recent past--knew exactly what I was saying. And we've all seen much worse.

But, just for you, I'll go back and edit the post--that way you don't have to be embarrassed anymore.

Old
06-17-2014, 06:23 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
Why is it embarrassing? I'm not paid to write here and I'm sure that most people--at least those familiar with the Rangers recent past--knew exactly what I was saying. And we've all seen much worse.

But, just for you, I'll go back and edit the post--that way you don't have to be embarrassed anymore.
No I meant me correcting you and getting it wrong myself lol

Old
06-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
No I meant me correcting you and getting it wrong myself lol
Sorry--guess we're both number challenged today!

Old
06-17-2014, 06:52 PM
Lundsanity30

5M is absurd, unless we think he's almost as good or better than Girardi.. I could stomach 4M, but then we have a **** load tied up in our defense..

Mcdonagh (4.7)
Girardi (5.5)
Stralman (4)
Staal (4 + soon to be UFA)

Old
06-17-2014, 06:52 PM
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat

Quote:
5M is absurd, unless we think he's almost as good or better than Girardi.. I could stomach 4M, but then we have a **** load tied up in our defense..

Mcdonagh (4.7)
Girardi (5.5)
Stralman (4)
Staal (4 + soon to be UFA)
I think a legitimate case can be made that he is.

Old
06-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
I think it's a bit unfair to call him a #4 defenseman, Idk. He's always been incredibly solid on the backend for us, and as has been mentioned, is one of our only defensemen who can move the puck, which is very important in AV's system. Plus, I swear, he is our only player who knows how to chip the puck out of the D-zone without icing it lirl.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Lundsanity30

I'm changed my mind after reading that article.. we need to make Stralman a priority.