HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Offseason Acquisitions III

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2014, 05:45 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
If we dont do any trades or sign players, are people here confident in icing the same team we had last season?

I would explore B. Schenn and just trade him if the package was really good.

I wouldnt trade Coburn but again, if they overpay how can you say no?

I think most agree there is a good chance we dont win the cup this up and coming season. Building a way to ease in our defensive prospects while being competitive I think is key. Maybe we do get lucky and win a cup with this lineup, but realistically we most likely won't. Too many wholes. Average defensive play and average 5on5 is our downfall.

Vrbata-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
PEB-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Laughton-Rinaldo/Hall/whoever

Streit-Coburn
MacDonald-Schenn
Timonen-Alt

Mason
Whoever

Last edited by sa cyred: 06-18-2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old
06-18-2014, 06:17 AM
MetalMilitia44
Rookie User

Vrbata is a right winger who scored 30 goals once in his career two years ago. Why would we put him on a line with Giroux?

Old
06-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If we dont do any trades or sign players, are people here confident in icing the same team we had last season?

I would explore B. Schenn and just trade him if the package was really good.

I wouldnt trade Coburn but again, if they overpay how can you say no?

I think most agree there is a good chance we dont win the cup this up and coming season. Building a way to ease in our defensive prospects while being competitive I think is key. Maybe we do get lucky and win a cup with this lineup, but realistically we most likely won't. Too many wholes. Average defensive play and average 5on5 is our downfall.

Vrbata-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
PEB-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Laughton-Rinaldo/Hall/whoever

Streit-Coburn
MacDonald-Schenn
Timonen-Alt

Mason
Whoever
The Flyers are in a crappy situation. The Flyers need impact players. Those players are now seldom available in UFA. To acquire them in trade without gutting system or hurting the NHL team requires a deep prospect pool which the Flyers don't have. So that leaves the draft which requires development time.

I am fine returning the same team next year because I don't have any allusions that this team is ready to compete for a cup anytime soon. Clear some salary space, slowly develop the kids at the AHL level, and don't let Pittsburgh get to the cup is the best I hope for next year. Above all draft well this year especially after the 1st round. If they do that and some of the current kids develop, then next offseason they could make some serious moves.

Old
06-18-2014, 08:11 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
Oilers fan here in peace, I really like your team. Question on what it would take to acquire Coburn + Schenn/Couturier (who would you rather move of those two?)

Would a mix of
1 of #3 Overall or Yakupov
1 of Klefbom or Marincin maybe Nurse
Gagner(retained $)

Interest you at all or is that insulting to you? Just looking for honest value from both sides.
As most others have said, I think this is a decent proposal for Coburn/Schenn. Couturier is, of course, the greatest hockey player to ever come into the NHL and will never be traded for anything short of two farm teams of 1st rounders + franchise Dman + top line, 2.5 PPG winger. You come here in peace, though I don't think you'd be welcomed back in peace at the Oilers' site over this proposal.

Forgive my double posting, but I put up this proposal in volume II of this thread:

Coburn + 17th pick + Grossmann for 3rd + Klefbom

My intention was then to turn the 3rd + Schenn into Seth Jones. But this part is for Predators fans to vomit all over. What do you think of the bolded? Fair? Grossmann, once he returns to health, is a very good stay-at-home defenseman, who blocks shots better than Bryzgalov (trust us, we know from experience) and at 6'4", 230 lb is a strong physical presence.

Old
06-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Curufinwe

Hextall doesn't want to miss the playoffs in his first season as GM so these Coburn proposals are all pretty silly.

Old
06-18-2014, 08:26 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia44 View Post
Vrbata is a right winger who scored 30 goals once in his career two years ago. Why would we put him on a line with Giroux?
You know who his linemates are, and the system he plays in yes?

As we learned with Bryz, you can not stat stare when talking about the Yotes.

Old
06-18-2014, 08:37 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Flyers aren't rebuilding, so trading important players for picks and prospects makes no sense. The only way important/young players are getting moved is if we're getting other young important players in return who fill a need.

Old
06-18-2014, 08:37 AM
MetalMilitia44
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You know who his linemates are, and the system he plays in yes?

As we learned with Bryz, you can not stat stare when talking about the Yotes.
What I'm saying is your scenario doesn't make sense. First of all, Vrbata is a Right Wing, you assigned him to the Top Line Left Wing. Second of all, Vrbata has not only played for Phoenix his entire career. I don't think signing him upgrades Giroux's line over Voracek and Hartnell.

Last edited by MetalMilitia44: 06-18-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old
06-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Prongo
Beer

I dont think the possibility of trading Coburn is unlikely as some but I would need a player who is young and can play on the team. It doesn't even have to be defense. Coburn has been solid for us the last 7 or so seasons but he is incapable of leading the team and a pairing.

If we do move him out though, like Meltzer said yesterday, I feel like something else will be happening.

06-18-2014, 09:17 AM
flyersfromquebec

wow !!!!!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brayden_schenn/

Old
06-18-2014, 09:19 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I dont think the possibility of trading Coburn is unlikely as some but I would need a player who is young and can play on the team. It doesn't even have to be defense. Coburn has been solid for us the last 7 or so seasons but he is incapable of leading the team and a pairing.

If we do move him out though, like Meltzer said yesterday, I feel like something else will be happening.
That's been abundantly clear for at least five years now. That still doesn't change how important Coburn is to the defense.

Prepare to be really bad defensively if he is moved and not replaced. And I don't want to know the cost to replace him either.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:19 AM
FlyingPhilly

If trading Coburn causes the Flyers to miss the playoffs then there is something very wrong with the team. That said if a deal came along that will make the team better in the long run I take it. Realistically, the team as constructed currently is not a Stanley Cup contender. It is also a tight spot with the franchise #1C in his prime and many holes in other areas. Hextall has a lot of work cut out for him.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Prongo
Beer

Ryan O'Reilly is getting traded I think. His agent even said this

Quote:
Newport Sports agent Pat Morris told Canada's Sportsnet. "Ryan is unrestricted in two years, and under the model now, given that Colorado has arbed him, short-term looks like what the future is for Ryan going forward, possibly year to year or for the next two years. ... Some people might look a little sideways that a team has done that to a special player, but they certainly have the business right to do that and Ryan is mature, but there's a history a little bit on the previous contract, and Ryan is a stubborn young man."
Talking about taking it year by year. 2 years and mentions UFA. You have to think that is trouble for Sakic and Roy. Flyers have coveted him in the past and I am willing to say they still do.

Improving the defense as a team is #1 priority. He does that and more. We would have two elite under 24 year old centers on our team. That will help out majorly against Boston and Pittsburgh. I am ready for the defense to be retooled and am willing to listen on any roster player besides Kimmo if I am Hexy. It hasn't worked for a while now, it's time to stop trying the same thing and getting the same results. Pretty sure there is a saying about that...

I am not getting off this ROR train until something breaks in the news about him. He is the player we would all cherish on here either playing LW or center. Heart and soul player and we know the Flyers have no problems offering the money.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfromquebec View Post
What?

Old
06-18-2014, 09:33 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
If trading Coburn causes the Flyers to miss the playoffs then there is something very wrong with the team. That said if a deal came along that will make the team better in the long run I take it. Realistically, the team as constructed currently is not a Stanley Cup contender. It is also a tight spot with the franchise #1C in his prime and many holes in other areas. Hextall has a lot of work cut out for him.
Who's going to replace his 22 minutes including 4 of them being on the PK? MacDonald?

Old
06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Who's going to replace his 22 minutes including 4 of them being on the PK? MacDonald?
I'll take heat for it but I said it before as well, I think the Flyers sorta see MacDonald and Coburn in the same ilk. MacDonald is better offensively while Coburn is better defensively though. They both play a fair amount of ES time and against tough competition.

I am not saying MacDonald is better than Coburn but it wouldn't surprise me if they believe he isn't too far behind him.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:39 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I'll take heat for it but I said it before as well, I think the Flyers sorta see MacDonald and Coburn in the same ilk. MacDonald is better offensively while Coburn is better defensively though. They both play a fair amount of ES time and against tough competition.

I am not saying MacDonald is better than Coburn but it wouldn't surprise me if they believe he isn't too far behind him.
We already saw what happens when you give MacDonald heavy minutes on the Isle. If that's the case for next year than prepare yourself for a long year.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

A lot of people trash MacDonald because of the stats, but I'm not going to worry about any of that until I see him play a full year here. He was playing for a garbage team before, kinda like how Mason was bad when he was on a trash team. You never know how someone will play on a better team.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Curufinwe

MacDonald's not strong enough defensively to handle first pairing duties.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
We already saw what happens when you give MacDonald heavy minutes on the Isle. If that's the case for next year than prepare yourself for a long year.
We saw the same thing with Streit as well when people were complaining about that signing. I have also said I don't think it's the players up in New York, they have the worst coach in the NHL. That paired with the one of the worst GA this year also doesn't help MacDonalds case. He was being misused big time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
A lot of people trash MacDonald because of the stats, but I'm not going to worry about any of that until I see him play a full year here. He was playing for a garbage team before, kinda like how Mason was bad when he was on a trash team. You never know how someone will play on a better team.
I agree with this. One of the major knocks on MacDonald is his corsi numbers and some people put too much stock into any stat. His biggest weakness is neutral zone and his entries. There is where the problem lies, something I believe with different coaching can help.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:47 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't necessarily think MacDonald's bad I just don't see him as a viable replacement for Coburn. He's more a #4 defender while Coburn's a #2-3.

We don't really have many defenders on the roster that can play the PK effectively hence why Coburn & Timonen both were around the 4 minute mark per game.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
We saw the same thing with Streit as well when people were complaining about that signing. I have also said I don't think it's the players up in New York, they have the worst coach in the NHL. That paired with the one of the worst GA this year also doesn't help MacDonalds case. He was being misused big time there.
If you get rid of Coburn & replace him with MacDonald it will be the same case here.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Prongo
Beer

My next move would be signing Stralman or improving via another trade somewhere. We have no clue who is available besides the big heads that the media is pumping.

Or we can just use my Brayden Schenn+Luke Schenn+2nd rounder offer to steal ROR away! Does that make us happy? I am sure Av fans would be!

LegionofDoom, I also noted that if Coburn was moved, they would have to find another player via trade to replace him. Not saying any of this is likely but I would make a strong offer for ROR.

ROR in the long run would be better for this team than Coburn I feel. That's my reasoning.

Old
06-18-2014, 09:53 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
I don't necessarily think MacDonald's bad I just don't see him as a viable replacement for Coburn. He's more a #3-4 defender while Coburn's a #2-3.

We don't really have many defenders on the roster that can play the PK effectively hence why Coburn & Timonen both were around the 4 minute mark per game.
Oh yea, absolutely. I don't think he's a replacement for Coburn but I'm just saying that I think he deserves a chance before people judge him based on past performances on a terrible team. I don't want Coburn to be traded, that wasn't related to what I said about MacDonald at all.

Old
06-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Insulin

Why do people want to add more defenseman like Stralman to this team? That's our biggest problem here. We have one of the most expensive defenses in the league and it's not a good one. We need to trade Grossmann, but then we want to go out and give basically the same caphit to a different type of #4 guy in Stralman? Makes zero sense.

I can't believe we are still talking about trading Coburn. How can you possibly trade him and expect to be a playoff team next year? Unless we're getting a number one defenseman this offseason and I'm just unaware of it...

Closed Thread