HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Souray's loss has not messed up our PP, has it?

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 02:12 AM
Necrophile

vCash: 500
Souray's loss has not messed up our PP, has it?

Somebody mentioned on the GDT (which seems to have disappeared???) that without Souray we lacked the PowerPlay QB needed to give us that dangerous PP we had earlier this season. In case you haven't noticed, in the games leading up to Souray's injury, our PP had dropped off from the long stretch in which we had around 35% success on the PP. Opposing teams have adjusted to us, and realize now that they can't play a passive PK system. Against the Habs, the PK unit has to be aggressive, and teams have learned that, some time before Souray got injured.

Why do you think we have so much trouble getting organized in the offensive zone and passing the puck? When we're under pressure on the powerplay, this is where we must realize that we don't have all the talent (yet) required to have a very good powerplay. Lack of talent (and (therefore?) confidence) may also be the cause of all those missed empty nets. And in fact, our 2nd PP unit is so ineffective that I feel we'd be better off having our 1st PP unit on the ice the whole 2 minutes!

Also, Markov is an excellent PP QB. He has a great shot, too. And he has better offensive instincts than Souray (when he's on his game). So please, don't come whining about how Souray's loss has messed up our PP. Replacing one excellent PP QB on our PP 1 unit by another excellent PP QB cannot magically correct our PP's two main deficiencies:

Our general lack of talent, and other teams' adjustment to us are the 2 things which have messed up our PP of late.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Necrophile

Doesn't anybody disagree? Are you losing your argumentative spirits? :p

Old
02-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Habsolution

I think the reason why you're not getting replies is because it's true.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:19 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Actually, I feel that Markov is better on the PP because he has better vision than Souray. Souray on the PP is a one-trick poney: his shot. Markov on the other hand has a very good shot and can create offense with a very nice and crisp passe which Souray can't do on a constant basis like Markov. Also, Souray wasn't that productive in the last few games since the other team knew that they just had to neutralize his shot..

Don't get me wrong, I think that Sheldon is very good but he just don't have that offensive talent and flair that Markov's have.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:24 PM
swiftsure1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
Actually, I feel that Markov is better on the PP because he has better vision than Souray. Souray on the PP is a one-trick poney: his shot. Markov on the other hand has a very good shot and can create offense with a very nice and crisp passe which Souray can't do on a constant basis like Markov. Also, Souray wasn't that productive in the last few games since the other team knew that they just had to neutralize his shot..

Don't get me wrong, I think that Sheldon is very good but he just don't have that offensive talent and flair that Markov's have.
As much as i agree with you, you can't dispute the fact that Souray is leading the league in goals and yes he has been a bit dry recenty but to say you think MArkov is better is a bit far. he is better in all respects except one; his shot. However it is that one category which explains why Souray is the player more likley to score on the PP. You could go into a further argument and say that Makov has a better vision and so would contribute better to other players scoring. I dont buy this either.

Closed Thread