HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trades????????

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 01:08 AM
missthenet

vCash: 500
Trades????????

I've seen almost all the habs games this year and I do not believe that trading a couple of guys from the farm club and adding a draft choice or two is in the best interest of the future. If we add a Gonchar, Berard or Hill or someone of this calibre and have to give up Hossa and Or Hainsey we will be in the process of going backwards. We were ot suppose to make the playoffs this year and does anybody really think that adding one of these guys will make any difference to the current roster in the playoff run and in the playoffs if we make it?

Old
02-15-2004, 01:11 AM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet
I've seen almost all the habs games this year and I do not believe that trading a couple of guys from the farm club and adding a draft choice or two is in the best interest of the future. If we add a Gonchar, Berard or Hill or someone of this calibre and have to give up Hossa and Or Hainsey we will be in the process of going backwards. We were ot suppose to make the playoffs this year and does anybody really think that adding one of these guys will make any difference to the current roster in the playoff run and in the playoffs if we make it?
get rid of the useless vets and play the youth then. theyre not going to get many more chances in the near future.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:16 AM
missthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
get rid of the useless vets and play the youth then. theyre not going to get many more chances in the near future.
I agree, we need look no further than the farm, If we believed that these players were our future when we drafted them then maybe we should be giving 1 or 2 players a legitimate shot at making the big team. I for one am tired of seeing the same guys continue to play poorly night after night and continue to make the same mistakes trying to clear the defensive zone and defensive zone coverage. I know Ottawa has a good team but we need to have more pride and we need to be embarassed playing this way.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:53 AM
Traitor8

Time to Call up Ron Hainsey and Marcel Hossa.

Send Down Pierre Dagenais and Francois Beauchemin.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:09 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet
You think adding a bonafide offensive defenseman for a middling prospect is a bad trade?

Old
02-15-2004, 09:15 AM
keemo905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8

I saw a Bulldogs game on friday and hossa was terrible, he was dragging his feet and his heart was floating in *****. Balej was giving an effort everytime he was on the ice so if we do call someone up it should be him. What kind of message are you sending to your organisation if you reward lazyness...

But I think Dagenais deserves another chance, he was not playing that bad... He was having a lot of scoring chances but his shots were either hitting the post or he was shooting on the goalies crest. He just needs a break and a bit of luck and he will start scoring again.

I think that what we need is a shake up of the first two lines: put Zed with Koivu and Bulis and send Ryder with Ribiero... Try this for a couple of games and if it does not work, put the lines back together. It might be a wake up call for some...

Just my opinion. Cheers.

Old
02-15-2004, 09:22 AM
felixd

As someone suggested, Hossa is not the answer. The kid does not play with enough emotion, intensity or consistency. While Balej does give more effort than Hossa, I don't think he is ready yet for the NHL. It would be better to leave him with the Dogs, get his confidence up for the rest of the season and then let him win a job at training camp next fall. A trade involving prospects would really not be worth it, because let's not remember, we are not contending for the cup, we are merely happy to be in the playoffs. Our team will improve together, and will grow together.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:47 AM
missthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
You think adding a bonafide offensive defenseman for a middling prospect is a bad trade?
MOst trade suggestions I've seen have not been for a middling prospect, there was one tonight which suggested Hainsey, Hossa and 1 or 2 draft choices for Gonchar, Gonchar in my opinion will not solve our problems and I dont see how giving up so much for him would be in our best interest. I thnk a lot of our recent problems are because of the lack of execution, turnovers to many to even try to count and bad penalties. Now if You add Washingtons 1st round into this above suggestion then maybe it makes sense. But I don,t see the benefit of trading two first round draf choices and 2 upcoming choices as well

Old
02-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Cloudigger

I am probably out of the subject, I usually am... but I think that people forget that good team are also built with veteran and that adding one or two good veterans players is a move forward... the nice thing with a lot of quality prospects like we have , is that we can trade some for immediate improvement... it is what Gonchar is... in my opinion there is no chance that eithe hainsey, hossa or a 2nrd pick this year would have as much an impact as Gonchar will have.... Imagine Gonchar, Markov , Souray, Komisarek, and two other d-men for year to come... look at the Islanders... thats what they have done.. yes they lost trade but right now they are slowly becoming one of the good team in the east.... they have 4 d-men that could be number one on our team... and they gave chance to the youth (hunter, weinhandl etc...) so yes i believe if we have a chance to get Gonchar it will be a nice move for now and the future ... at 29 Gonchar can still be a number one for us for 7-8 years ... can you say the same thing with Hainsey ? Can Hossa be a first liner for us ? Because if his top end potential is a 2nd liner... well we have plenty of that kind of prospects in the familly

edit : btw i did not say lets trade all of our prospect for veterans... but I just want to remember you that we ggot damphousse for Corson and Vujtek (who was considered one of our good prospect at that time) and damphousse helped us for several years....

Last edited by Cloudigger: 02-15-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old
02-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Mathletic

if it makes you happy ... the Habs are preparing something with the Blue Jackets involving either Sanderson, Cassels or Richardson

Old
02-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Well... how do you really know we're not a cup contender.. Look in the past 2 yrs. Would you have said Carolina (2002) or Anahiem, Minnesota (2003) were contenders, but yet they got past Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver, Toronto, Philly.

Anybody can beat anybody now days.... I say go for the trade.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird
Well... how do you really know we're not a cup contender.. Look in the past 2 yrs. Would you have said Carolina (2002) or Anahiem, Minnesota (2003) were contenders, but yet they got past Detroit, Colorado, Vancouver, Toronto, Philly.

Anybody can beat anybody now days.... I say go for the trade.
but Thédore can't beat any great team ... and all the teams you named have big guys, and clutch goalies

Old
02-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Firthbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU Seminoles
and clutch goalies

Not Philly, or Toronto, or Vancouver... :p

Old
02-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
Not Philly, or Toronto, or Vancouver... :p
You mean Toronto doesn't have a clutch goalie ? ... and in Philly they have 1 or 2 good forward, that's the least I could say ... and Vancouver has two players that would beat the whole Habs team

Old
02-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Firthbird

Quote:
You mean Toronto doesn't have a clutch goalie ? ... and in Philly they have 1 or 2 good forward, that's the least I could say ... and Vancouver has two players that would beat the whole Habs team
What I mean is that, Belfour.... you saw him last year in the playoffs, he was ok but wasn't that good. As for Philly and Vancouver, I wasn't talking about players. I agree with you 100% they have really good players on their team, but there weakness is in Goal.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
What I mean is that, Belfour.... you saw him last year in the playoffs, he was ok but wasn't that good. As for Philly and Vancouver, I wasn't talking about players. I agree with you 100% they have really good players on their team, but there weakness is in Goal.
okay and just one year tells how good a guy is ? and I guess you already forgot he won the cup in Dallas, and he's been very good this year again ... and Philly's and Vancouver's weakness is not in net, it's upfront because they don't score when they have to. Last year Philly didn't score a single goal against Ottawa, and Vancouver didn't score against Minnesota

Old
02-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Firthbird

Quote:
okay and just one year tells how good a guy is ? and I guess you already forgot he won the cup in Dallas, and he's been very good this year again ... and Philly's and Vancouver's weakness is not in net, it's upfront because they don't score when they have to. Last year Philly didn't score a single goal against Ottawa, and Vancouver didn't score against Minnesota
Belfour won the cup with Dallas 5 yrs. ago (99'), when he was pretty much in his prime. If you can say that Belfour will be able to do what he did 5 yrs. well that's your opnion, but It aint gonna happen. As for Vancouver and Philly's Weakness, it is in Goal. You can argue that opnion till your blue in the face, but you're wrong. Philly has gone through I think it is now at 6 goalies in the past 6 years. They've just recently gone back to Burke which they had a few yrs. ago. As for Vancouver, there weakness is in Goal too. Cloutier is not a pressure goalie. Look at the playoffs last year, he could not handle the pressure. Both of those teams have good players, but they lack a true number one goalie. If you're not able to score, your goalie should be able to keep you in those games, and Both Philly, and Vancouver could not do that.

Old
02-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Kafka

Quote:

In fact, I find Dagenais more usefull than Kilger....... he should be sent down and placed on the WAIVERS again even with is 1M$ contract... anyway, he will be RFA at the end of the season isnt it?

Old
02-15-2004, 01:01 PM
missthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudigger
I am probably out of the subject, I usually am... but I think that people forget that good team are also built with veteran and that adding one or two good veterans players is a move forward... the nice thing with a lot of quality prospects like we have , is that we can trade some for immediate improvement... it is what Gonchar is... in my opinion there is no chance that eithe hainsey, hossa or a 2nrd pick this year would have as much an impact as Gonchar will have.... Imagine Gonchar, Markov , Souray, Komisarek, and two other d-men for year to come... look at the Islanders... thats what they have done.. yes they lost trade but right now they are slowly becoming one of the good team in the east.... they have 4 d-men that could be number one on our team... and they gave chance to the youth (hunter, weinhandl etc...) so yes i believe if we have a chance to get Gonchar it will be a nice move for now and the future ... at 29 Gonchar can still be a number one for us for 7-8 years ... can you say the same thing with Hainsey ? Can Hossa be a first liner for us ? Because if his top end potential is a 2nd liner... well we have plenty of that kind of prospects in the familly

We gave up to soon on Sean Hill and Jason Cullimore to namea couple of players that might look pretty good in a habs uniform right now. I'm not suggesting we don't need to improve cause we do. I just don't think that giving up 2 players who really have not been given a chance and some future draft choice for a guy about to turn 30. If there is no hockey next year then upon return to action he would be about 32 and maybe we get two years of service from him. I could be wrong, just ask my wife I usually am.

edit : btw i did not say lets trade all of our prospect for veterans... but I just want to remember you that we ggot damphousse for Corson and Vujtek (who was considered one of our good prospect at that time) and damphousse helped us for several years....

Old
02-15-2004, 01:11 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

I strongly beleive that Gainey is trying to get Gonchar, I would love to see Gonchar with the Habs. They need an offensive defenseman to close the gap in the midle. I am huge fan of Balej and I still think that he needs another chance to spark our attack in a line with Ribeiro. Also Zednik has to play with Koivu.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Traitor8

Marcel Hossa,Tomas Plekanec,Francis Bouillon
For
Sergei Gonchar and 3rd round pick

Pick becomes a 2nd if Gonchar doesn't sign an extension with us by the July 1 2005.

Markov-Brisebois
Gonchar-Quintal
Rivet-Komisarek
Hainsey

Old
02-15-2004, 02:18 PM
felixd

Gonchar does not address the Canadiens' needs! Look, we should be happy if we make the playoffs this year, but why should we load up for a playoff run and sacrifice our future? It makes no sense. The team will grow as a team together, a trade to bring in a veteran of such high status would disrupt team chemistry. If we do get a player, Hill would be the best choice. Richardson is too old, Berard doesn't address our needs and neither does Gonchar. We need to solidify the defensive aspect of the game. We are set for the powerplay units; Souray, Brisebois, Markov, Ribeiro and hopefully Hainsey are all capable of running the powerplay. We should not trade for any veterans come the trade deadline!

Old
02-15-2004, 02:24 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Marcel Hossa,Tomas Plekanec,Francis Bouillon
For
Sergei Gonchar and 3rd round pick

Pick becomes a 2nd if Gonchar doesn't sign an extension with us by the July 1 2005.

Markov-Brisebois
Gonchar-Quintal
Rivet-Komisarek
Hainsey
You trade way to much for Gonchar, the rumors out of Toronto is that the csot for Gonchar would be Coliacovo. So why would we have to mortgage the farm for him then?
Hainsey and Pick at the most, we do pick up a big salary in Gonchar too and Caps know that is a killer in their return for the skilled Dman. Caps want a young skilled Dman in return and Bouillion isn't that Dman.

Closed Thread