HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Conditioning and Training schedule.

Old
03-25-2007, 09:06 PM
lotus

vCash: 500
Conditioning and Training schedule.

I know there's similar threads but here I'd appreciate some help on developing a schedule more than what I need to do. Let me try another way of explaining it.

I am finishing this semester and transferring to a yet undecided school to play club hockey (or at least hopeful of playing). Problems are i need to get bigger and faster, and I'd also like to improve my shot but not as much as i need to get bigger and faster.

So keeping realism in mind when I'm making this schedule, I have a new season of a beer league starting which will be more good practice. It meets usually about once a week but we get schedules well in advance of games. I'll need to plan my work out around the game days of course, but since the days vary, i gotta plan this all out by the month.

So until I get my schedule, by the week; how does this look?
Day 1:Workout: Upper body, back, shooting.
Day 2:Workout: Legs, cardio, shooting.
Day 3:Workout: Abs, Core muscles, cardio, shooting.
Day 4:Resting, light run, shooting.
Day 5:Game Day, preceded by a light run and some shot practice.
Day 6:Cardio. shooting. kind of a free day, not sure what to put here.
Day 7:On Ice skating / shooting. Cardio, more shooting off ice. (costs too much $$ for only an hour. Can only do once a week.)

anyway that's more of an example, I'm really not sure how I would arrange it. I would imagine it's not smart to work out too much the day before the game, and I'll probably still be sore the day after.(maybe). I can only get on ice once a week aside from the game, and thats if im lucky. And I can practice off ice shooting every day as much as I want. Divvy it up evenly most days between slap shots wrist shots snap shots etc.

And i'll take some skating lessons if i have the time and money. That will be a nice help.

So there's my basic question. How should I organize that? I'm currently 5'8" 130ish lbs (i've been sick so i lost some weight and really can't remember what I was). Could I get big enough and quick enough for a competitive contact league if i start now?

Thanks guys. I'm pretty serious and am willing to make an every day dedication so any other tips are welcome. You know, stretching, what exercises to do, etc. Though the off ice conditioning thread is pretty decent help too.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I know there's similar threads but here I'd appreciate some help on developing a schedule more than what I need to do. Let me try another way of explaining it.

I am finishing this semester and transferring to a yet undecided school to play club hockey (or at least hopeful of playing). Problems are i need to get bigger and faster, and I'd also like to improve my shot but not as much as i need to get bigger and faster.

So keeping realism in mind when I'm making this schedule, I have a new season of a beer league starting which will be more good practice. It meets usually about once a week but we get schedules well in advance of games. I'll need to plan my work out around the game days of course, but since the days vary, i gotta plan this all out by the month.

So until I get my schedule, by the week; how does this look?
Day 1:Workout: Upper body, back, shooting.
Day 2:Workout: Legs, cardio, shooting.
Day 3:Workout: Abs, Core muscles, cardio, shooting.
Day 4:Resting, light run, shooting.
Day 5:Game Day, preceded by a light run and some shot practice.
Day 6:Cardio. shooting. kind of a free day, not sure what to put here.
Day 7:On Ice skating / shooting. Cardio, more shooting off ice. (costs too much $$ for only an hour. Can only do once a week.)

anyway that's more of an example, I'm really not sure how I would arrange it. I would imagine it's not smart to work out too much the day before the game, and I'll probably still be sore the day after.(maybe). I can only get on ice once a week aside from the game, and thats if im lucky. And I can practice off ice shooting every day as much as I want. Divvy it up evenly most days between slap shots wrist shots snap shots etc.

And i'll take some skating lessons if i have the time and money. That will be a nice help.

So there's my basic question. How should I organize that? I'm currently 5'8" 130ish lbs (i've been sick so i lost some weight and really can't remember what I was). Could I get big enough and quick enough for a competitive contact league if i start now?

Thanks guys. I'm pretty serious and am willing to make an every day dedication so any other tips are welcome. You know, stretching, what exercises to do, etc. Though the off ice conditioning thread is pretty decent help too.
Thats alot of work, I think your main goal should be to figure out what type of player do you want to be. You don't seem to be blessed with natural size, so I would imagine you want to be a quick, shifty player in the mold of maybe a St. Louis. At 130 lbs you are definitely in need of some more mass, I think your target should be around 150 for at the beginning of tryouts with a goal to be around 160 by the end of the season.

As far as quickness goes, your first step is very important. If you have a good initial burst you will be able to catch alot of defenders off guard. Instead of running long distances, it may be in your best interest some form of HIIT. I would recommend incorporating some form of jumping into your cardio routine, maybe find a bball court and starting at one baseline you use a series of jumps to get to the other baseline, the goal is to get there in a few jumps as possible.

Also, something that seems to be popular amongst professional athletes is to train so that your peak performance is during the game. A way to achieve this is to incorporate a workout post-game.

One of the most important things I ever learned was to finish the game stronger than you started.

If you are dedicated to your cause and willing to work, you should be able to achieve your goal.

As far as transferring goes, I would hope you are transferring to a school that has a strong academic program as well as a club hockey team because you will be better served by the degree, playing hockey is just a bonus.

Also don't forget to incorporate days off for yourself, you can easily over-train (you mentioned reading other threads so I figure you saw the dangers of this).

Also, low reps and higher weights = more strength, high reps and lower weights = pretty.

Good luck.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 02:43 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Like the guy said low reps and high weights to build explosive strength. At 130 lbs you need to start eating more, maybe some protein powder. There are conditioning books made for hockey players available at book stores and online, I would look into that since they are usually written by PHD's-they know a lot more than the average guy on the street. You might look into hiring a personal trainer as well. He/she can teach you the proper way to lift weights, proper form, proper breathing and write you a diet so that you can avoid injury and get better at hockey.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 11:45 AM
lotus

Already got protein powder
And yeah I watch alot of smaller players and their style. As much as I don't like him, Danny Briere is someone I watch allot of.

I've raised my grades @ community college and am getting an idea of some programs I want to try out, so of course academics is first. But if I'm not playing any hockey I'll be miserable.

Old
03-27-2007, 03:29 PM
thefiestygoat

I am doing a lot of working out too as I am transferring from one school to another one (hopefully Rutgers.) I know I will need to get better for club hockey so I have been doing stuff similar to you. I noticed you are taking the protein shakes (assuming Whey right?). If you want some good stuff use Creatine, its really helping me in my workouts a ton and keep up with the Whey.

thefiestygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:20 PM
MikeD

two year round fitness and conditioning program downloads you might want to check out...

late Teen: http://www.hawksice.com/tending/fitness16_17yrs.zip

Pro/collegiate: http://www.hawksice.com/tending/pro_...te_program.zip

Hosted on my website, its free of any malicious software. Just JPG image files in a zip. completely safe to download.

On the creatine....not going to get into the pros and cons...just do your research before jumping into its use. Look for more than what is found on the average weight lifting sight. You might want to read up on what the Canadian Journal of Sports medicine is finding in studies reported to them.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 11:05 PM
lotus

Firstly, thanks for the links mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefiestygoat View Post
I am doing a lot of working out too as I am transferring from one school to another one (hopefully Rutgers.) I know I will need to get better for club hockey so I have been doing stuff similar to you. I noticed you are taking the protein shakes (assuming Whey right?). If you want some good stuff use Creatine, its really helping me in my workouts a ton and keep up with the Whey.
I too may go to Rutgers, would be funny if we both ended up playing there (where are you transferring from?)

I am taking Whey, i also have some of their protein bars though not as often as I should have. Thing is, my brother takes weight lifting and body building very very seriously. So i had him over the summer, but the second he went back, i was discouraged from going to the gym. I went from 130-145 in a very very very quick period of time and then lost it all. I didn't eat proper and to top it off i got a nasty hip flexor strain. Needless to say I havent been since and lost alot of weight.

What to eat, when to eat, and my form while working out are all things that discourage me. I have a crappy appetite + i often am very active, such as today and yesterday combined for a total of 10 hours pickup roller hockey. (so sore =[)