HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL Season Way Too Long!

Old
06-18-2014, 12:01 AM
Nightsquad

vCash: 500
AHL Season Way Too Long!

Congratulations to the 2014 Calder Cup Champs the Texas Stars and their fans. Now that we got that out of the way the American League really needs to roll back or adjust their schedules. It's an embarrassment that this minor league's season goes well beyond that of the big show. Had the Texas VS St. John's series gone the full distance it would have put this season even deeper, with summer officially underway Saturday! It's minor league baseball season in many AHL markets, and some actually well into their Major League Baseball season. Instead of grueling bus league schedules where teams have had to play 3 in 3 series every often, some 3 in 3 were a few in a row why not roll back the schedule. Hockey is a cold weather game, we love it but don't need it into June. It should not be forced to compete with baseball and other summer activities on a regular basis, once May rolls around pro hockey should well be into their finals at the very least. College hockey is already decided their champions, most other minor leagues have established their champs going into April as well. October will be around soon enough, too soon unfortunately. Time for the AHL to do what's right for most of its markets.

Nightsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 01:43 AM
offkilter

So let me get this straight, you are whining about the AHL season being too long all because it ended only six days past the end of the NHL finals? Then you compare it to the [mod] college hockey season where a good chunk of games don't even count for anything? You also complain about 3 in 3's when every team voted to accept that to eliminate poorly attended weekday games?

You do understand the AHL is a minor hockey league right? More often than not they play second fiddle to what ever concert tour or event their arena has on the calender, and schedule conflicts are more often than not the reason for things.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 06-18-2014 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Keep it clean
offkilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsquad View Post
Congratulations to the 2014 Calder Cup Champs the Texas Stars and their fans. Now that we got that out of the way the American League really needs to roll back or adjust their schedules. It's an embarrassment that this minor league's season goes well beyond that of the big show. Had the Texas VS St. John's series gone the full distance it would have put this season even deeper, with summer officially underway Saturday! It's minor league baseball season in many AHL markets, and some actually well into their Major League Baseball season. Instead of grueling bus league schedules where teams have had to play 3 in 3 series every often, some 3 in 3 were a few in a row why not roll back the schedule. Hockey is a cold weather game, we love it but don't need it into June. It should not be forced to compete with baseball and other summer activities on a regular basis, once May rolls around pro hockey should well be into their finals at the very least. College hockey is already decided their champions, most other minor leagues have established their champs going into April as well. October will be around soon enough, too soon unfortunately. Time for the AHL to do what's right for most of its markets.
Then talk to baseball about not beginning until June 1 and ending their season by mid september.

College hockey basically plays about 40 games. European leagues play 50 or so games. THe AHL already dropped from 82 (old IHL teams) to 80 (AHL) to 76 games.

And since Hockey is "a cold weather game" I think that we should only play the games in December, January, and February and only when the temperature is below freezing.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Nightsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Then talk to baseball about not beginning until June 1 and ending their season by mid september.

College hockey basically plays about 40 games. European leagues play 50 or so games. THe AHL already dropped from 82 (old IHL teams) to 80 (AHL) to 76 games.

And since Hockey is "a cold weather game" I think that we should only play the games in December, January, and February and only when the temperature is below freezing.
Well lol, where I live it seems the cold weather is in full effect come November and below freezing through March lol. Besides all the seasonal nonsense there are still many midweek games being played through out the AHL. Midweek games will draw less but if the team is good, the organization provides a good overall product not only on the ice but promotion wise midweek games are doable. The Philly Phantoms used to do good midweek, as did Hershey, college basketball or other major league sports make midweek games work, no excuses. I think doing 3 in 3 over saturates weekend dates for the casual fans, then throw in the fatigue factor. When players are better rested you can see the results. Watching these AHL teams on game 3 of their 3 in 3s and you can see many are just going through the motions sadly. If you play on Fri and Sat, I don't see anything good coming from a Sunday game or vice versa.

Last edited by Nightsquad: 06-18-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old
06-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Nightsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkilter View Post
So let me get this straight, you are whining about the AHL season being too long all because it ended only six days past the end of the NHL finals? Then you compare it to the [mod] college hockey season where a good chunk of games don't even count for anything? You also complain about 3 in 3's when every team voted to accept that to eliminate poorly attended weekday games?

You do understand the AHL is a minor hockey league right? More often than not they play second fiddle to what ever concert tour or event their arena has on the calender, and schedule conflicts are more often than not the reason for things.
Ahh heck no, even the NHL is way too long! But it's even more absurd for a minor league to go beyond that of the pros. While I am not ovely fond of NCAA Hockey ending their season as early as they do I do appreciate their balanced schedule, likewise pro hockey can use some rollback a little bit. 20 years ago the AHL Champs were decided in mid May, somehow over the last 20 years both the AHL and NHL have crawled their way into June, summertime is absurd!

Old
06-18-2014, 12:18 PM
axecrew

Quote:
The problem is that as stated, teams wanted to get away from the 3 in 4's or 3 in 3's, not too mention the dreaded weekday games....well that's fine but then you have to extend the season a little because to shorten the regular season anymore than it already is puts it at risk of becoming deluded and watered down. As it is now the Calder Finals would've finished before the NHL had it not been for the scheduling conflict in St. John's. To wait almost a week between games 3 and 4 was absurd and only brought on by a schedule problem.
Also don't forget that if the powers that be get their way, the second round of the playoffs will become best of 5 also thus shortening the playoffs even more. Personally in my opinion....if the AHL wants to market itself as a developmental league for the NHL then they need to emulate the NHL in every way possible right down to the schedule length and breakdown, both regular season and playoffs. Really develop these guys and get them ready for the rigors of an NHL season and not just make a passing attempt or lip service at it.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
The problem is that as stated, teams wanted to get away from the 3 in 4's or 3 in 3's, not too mention the dreaded weekday games....well that's fine but then you have to extend the season a little because to shorten the regular season anymore than it already is puts it at risk of becoming deluded and watered down. As it is now the Calder Finals would've finished before the NHL had it not been for the scheduling conflict in St. John's. To wait almost a week between games 3 and 4 was absurd and only brought on by a schedule problem.
Also don't forget that if the powers that be get their way, the second round of the playoffs will become best of 5 also thus shortening the playoffs even more. Personally in my opinion....if the AHL wants to market itself as a developmental league for the NHL then they need to emulate the NHL in every way possible right down to the schedule length and breakdown, both regular season and playoffs. Really develop these guys and get them ready for the rigors of an NHL season and not just make a passing attempt or lip service at it.
Also if you want to reduce the NHL season, guess what gets reduced - revenues. As a result of revenues decreasing guess what gets reduced - player salaries. Guess what else gets reduced - owner profits (losses would increase).

Axe is spot on that if the AHL really wants to prep the players for the NHL, they need to run the league more like the NHL. Schedule, travel arrangements, length of season, playoff structure, etc.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Midweek games will draw less but if the team is good, the organization provides a good overall product not only on the ice but promotion wise midweek games are doable. The Philly Phantoms used to do good midweek, as did Hershey, college basketball or other major league sports make midweek games work, no excuses.
Hershey played exactly two (2) mid-week games this past season, one of which is a traditional date (Thanksgiving Eve). That was only one less than the prior year. The weekends sell better, even in Hershey - that's just the way it is. It's not an excuse, just a reason, and it's called MONEY !!

You also can't compare the AHL to any other league that has a NATIONAL TV CONTRACT. That's apples and watermelons.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 02:03 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

What a non issue. No one in Texas or St John's seemed to have a problem showing up to watch their club compete for a title.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 02:42 PM
CJNewman

Wow congratulations we now have the hat trick of terrible ideas that would put the AHL out of business and the season hasn't even been over for 24 hours. First it was move 6 teams out west without consideration of if or can 6 markets out there can support these teams. Second adapting a schedule that would increase ruling and in turn operating expenses. Third and the best of all schedule more weekday games that don't draw half the fans if not less than weekend games so the season will be shorter. MOD

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 06-18-2014 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Ease up on the condescending broadbrushing
CJNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:41 PM
mmazz22

I was lucky to watch live AHL hockey once in June (2011) for the first and only time in 30 ahl seasons and I personally loved it!! June hockey rocks! I hated when the league went down to 76 games. I am scared it will be even more shortened. I can deal with 76 games I guess if it eliminates a couple Weds night home games. But no shorter. The thought of round 2 and 3 also being a best of five that has been discussed is horrible. I already hate the first round being best of five. I get the teams want weekend dates, well be the higher seed and then get the weekend to open. If you dont have home ice tough luck.

mmazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:07 PM
adsfan

Congrats to Texas!

Congrats to Nightsquad for getting me on the same side as axecrew, Tommy Hawk, Rumblick and offkilter. They are members that I am familiar with.

Special mention to mmazz22, CJNewman and GarbageGoal for joining in on this.

My opinion is that the season isn't too long. I don't see the economics of cutting it back to 72 or 70 games. The average league attendance was 5402. The playoffs were about 1000 less. That is pretty good for minor league hockey in my book.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote