HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Painted into a corner

Old
03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Your right in that the Pronger thing doesn't give him an excuse for a few years but is one year really all that unrealistic?
Actually no. Let's face it, what makes this season more difficult is that this team was one win away from the Stanley Cup. I think we all forget that this team wasn't really good last season before the playoffs and they were lucky to even make the playoffs. The Oilers have been a 8th place team or a non-playoff team for the last what, 15 years? In fact, the Oilers have not finished 1st in the there division in the last 15 years. Calgary has, so has Vancouver and Colorado. Minnesota is really still an expansion team to me.

My point is, I want to start seeing results. I'm tired of hearing how the Oilers are young or they have alot of assets or any excuse like that. Lowe needs to start icing good teams, not teams that will make the playoffs because their rivals suck more. I believe that given a few more seasons, Lowe will deliver but OIlers fans need to start seeing results.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Wow, you would actually propose that not many teams woudl be willing take on Pronger at 6million/yr for 5 years? I can't imagine many teams who wouldnt If you cant fit him under the cap, getting the best Dman in the world at that bargain, I imagine most GM's would make room for him.
Willing and able are two very different things. Factor in that the ones who are able must also have what your looking for and, yes, I suspect that once the UFA market was open and guys started signing Pronger's value would have dropped. Unless Pronger was willing to stay until the middle of the season or perhaps the deadline I don't think there was any chance that he would actually go up in value and to suggest he would have been willing is simply speculatory and therefore irrelevant.

Quote:
How do I know, Did you watch many games this year? Smid is a good prospect but a long, long way from being a top 3 guy. We needed a top 3 guy for this year and entering a season wihtout a single Dman who can play those minutes ensured that we would miss the playoffs regardless if what else happenend.
I would rather have Smid in a year from now than have some B grade defensive star wanna be this past year in order to squeak out a playoff spot right now because I do think that Smid is the real deal but that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Your arguement abuot mediocrity and instant gratification is self defeating. The Oilers have never gone for instant gratification (with the exception of the Pronger\Peca signings and that paid dividends)
Instead we get a lot more of what we've seen this year, truckloads of Grebreshkovs, late first round picks and O'Marras.. where has that gotten us... 15 years of complete mediocrity and a front office full of retired players.
I am talking about the mindset of the fan not the organization and I would argue that the organization has done nothing but go for instant gratification. They treaded water for 4 years as a bubble team always trying to stay competetive even though they couldn't spend with the big boys which made blowing the whole team up for a rebuild the only prudent thing to do. But year after year they would recycle their players for a younger cheaper version of the same players in an effort to sneak into the playoffs and satisfy guys like you.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
My point is, I want to start seeing results. I'm tired of hearing how the Oilers are young or they have alot of assets or any excuse like that. Lowe needs to start icing good teams, not teams that will make the playoffs because their rivals suck more. I believe that given a few more seasons, Lowe will deliver but OIlers fans need to start seeing results.
I agree and I would suggest that for the first time in the last 10 years this team is no longer a tweaner which I think has been their biggest problem. They are truly a rebuilding club right now and as I said, although I don't think Lowe's job is on the line I do think the clock has started ticking to see how quickly and how intelligently he can not only turn this thing around but do it in a manner that will allow for some sustainability.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote