HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dylan McIlrath

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2014, 09:36 AM
  #26
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Pre-concussion Staal, I totally agree with you. Staal since the concussion - not so sure.
Apparently you'd like to get rid of everyone who has ever had a concussion.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 09:42 AM
  #27
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 9,878
vCash: 500
Can McIlrath discussions be limited to people who watched at least a dozen Hartford games this year? Seems like 90% have no clue what's up, except that they want Tarasenko, so they feel the need to crap on Dylan without any knowledge.

Beacon is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 09:48 AM
  #28
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Can McIlrath discussions be limited to people who watched at least a dozen Hartford games this year? Seems like 90% have no clue what's up, except that they want Tarasenko, so they feel the need to crap on Dylan without any knowledge.
Can we also include the people who saw McIlrath **** the bed against actual NHL competition?

Thanks in advance.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:02 AM
  #29
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Apparently you'd like to get rid of everyone who has ever had a concussion.
Apparently you want to acquire everyone who has ever had a concussion.

My statement sounds just as silly as yours.

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:09 AM
  #30
silverfish
Player Usage
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 19,414
vCash: 500
There were some positives to McIlrath's game in the two (was it two?) games he played with us this year.

Definitely held his own in the fight against McGratton. Even though it led to a goal against, I loved the way he stepped up at the offensive blue line to destroy a Blue Jacket coming out of the zone. In the future, he'll pick his spots more wisely and turn plays like that into very productive plays.

Just from those two games though, and not seeing much of him in Hartford... If McIlrath is the starting 3RD for the Rangers in the 14-15 season, it's going to come with growing pains, that's just not arguable.

This is a big off-season/training camp/preseason for McIlrath.

If Ulf walks to HC, and Beuk steps in as a new assistant, I think that certainly plays into his favor.

silverfish is online now  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:13 AM
  #31
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
I think he would already be a Ranger if not for his two knee injuries. I think they set him back at least a year. When he comes up he will have some ups and downs like most young players. Ranger fans should be patient with him and understand he will go through a learning process like most young defensemen.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:19 AM
  #32
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
There were some positives to McIlrath's game in the two (was it two?) games he played with us this year.

Definitely held his own in the fight against McGratton. Even though it led to a goal against, I loved the way he stepped up at the offensive blue line to destroy a Blue Jacket coming out of the zone. In the future, he'll pick his spots more wisely and turn plays like that into very productive plays.

Just from those two games though, and not seeing much of him in Hartford... If McIlrath is the starting 3RD for the Rangers in the 14-15 season, it's going to come with growing pains, that's just not arguable.

This is a big off-season/training camp/preseason for McIlrath.

If Ulf walks to HC, and Beuk steps in as a new assistant, I think that certainly plays into his favor.
If you can commend that play, you can commend anything I suppose.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:22 AM
  #33
silverfish
Player Usage
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 19,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If you can commend that play, you can commend anything I suppose.
As I said in that post, I commend the play because it's a sign of things to come. When he learns to pick his spots better, he's going to break up a lot of potential rushes against by just stepping up at the offensive blue line and destroying people.

The thing is, if Dylan is going to be in the lineup game in and game out, it's those types of plays we're going to have to learn to deal with as he learns on the go.

EDIT - I just rewatched that play. Looks like Jenner had his head up and avoided most of the hit, that's fine. Yes, I do remember that McIlrath got his stick up and there was a delayed penalty.

What I didn't remember, is that before Anisimov scores from the left side of Hank, McIlrath is already back in the play clearing the crease on the right side of Hank

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020473

This game, second Blue Jacket's goal. Anisimov.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very, very, very, bad read by McIlrath here. But when he picks his spots better, it's plays like this one that can shift momentum and be a huge boost in more ways than one.

silverfish is online now  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:26 AM
  #34
BearishRiggs
Registered User
 
BearishRiggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
If you're passing judgment and making assumptions about McI based on his two NHL games, stop it. That's not a fair sample. The kid is more than just a physical force that hits and punches everything he sees. He's got good wheels for his size and is definitely a better puckmover than Girardi. Once he gets the chance to settle in positionally he's going to be a great asset going forward.

BearishRiggs is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:32 AM
  #35
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearishRiggs View Post
If you're passing judgment and making assumptions about McI based on his two NHL games, stop it. That's not a fair sample. The kid is more than just a physical force that hits and punches everything he sees. He's got good wheels for his size and is definitely a better puckmover than Girardi. Once he gets the chance to settle in positionally he's going to be a great asset going forward.
Stanley Cup finals Girardi?

Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:36 AM
  #36
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Based on how horrible he supposedly was in his 2 NHL games what was he? A minus 7? A minus 5? He was a minus 1. Hardly earth shattering.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:40 AM
  #37
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Based on how horrible he supposedly was in his 2 NHL games what was he? A minus 7? A minus 5? He was a minus 1. Hardly earth shattering.
Im sure if he played bigger minutes he could've approached those #'s.

But he didn't, because he was a detriment out there. This is no way, shape, or form an indictment on the rest of his career, but I dont know how anyone in their right minds could be comfortable with him in the top 6 next year with performances like that against NHL competition. Connor Allen looked much, much better.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:42 AM
  #38
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔
 
Lundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Based on how horrible he supposedly was in his 2 NHL games what was he? A minus 7? A minus 5? He was a minus 1. Hardly earth shattering.
I always like to compare plus/minus to wins for starting pitchers in baseball. It's not a stat that is always in control of the player. A hockey player can have a flawless shift but a mistake by a teammate could give him a negative rating, similar to how a pitcher could not get a win because he received no run support. Plus/minus isn't a really good way to judge player efficiency.

Lundquest is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:46 AM
  #39
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im sure if he played bigger minutes he could've approached those #'s.

But he didn't, because he was a detriment out there. This is no way, shape, or form an indictment on the rest of his career, but I dont know how anyone in their right minds could be comfortable with him in the top 6 next year with performances like that against NHL competition. Connor Allen looked much, much better.
I remember when we kept Sauer and sent McD down to the AHL. In his first few games in the AHL that season he looked really bad. Did we judge McD by those few AHL games or wait to see how he progressed? There is no reason to judge Dylan before we see how he plays in camp.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:48 AM
  #40
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundquest View Post
I always like to compare plus/minus to wins for starting pitchers in baseball. It's not a stat that is always in control of the player. A hockey player can have a flawless shift but a mistake by a teammate could give him a negative rating, similar to how a pitcher could not get a win because he received no run support. Plus/minus isn't a really good way to judge player efficiency.
It is definitely a imperfect stat. I have seen guys get a plus when they were on the bench BUT if a player is so ridiculously horrible defensively usually he would have more than 1 goal scored against while he was on the ice. I think Dylan had a couple of rough moments but he was not this ridiculously horrible player that some exaggerate him out to be.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:50 AM
  #41
McSauer
Defense Wins Games
 
McSauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
I've heard he has a BIG (triple digits MPH) shot from the point; maybe the best in the system. Can anyone who's seen him down in HFD confirm?

Maybe could be that big shot from the point we've been dying for...

McSauer is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:51 AM
  #42
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,633
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im sure if he played bigger minutes he could've approached those #'s.

But he didn't, because he was a detriment out there. This is no way, shape, or form an indictment on the rest of his career, but I dont know how anyone in their right minds could be comfortable with him in the top 6 next year with performances like that against NHL competition. Connor Allen looked much, much better.
I understand that +/- doesn't tell a full story, but I don't think saying a player was only -1 in two games is a great endorsement.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:53 AM
  #43
mrmel329
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
BigMac will be up here this season. Beukaboom is telling anyone who asks just that. Don't see what the big affinity all of a sudden for 1 goal 12 assist all season strahlman. He stinks offensively and couldn't clear even gabs out of the crease on that goal. He is physically inept outside of a couple of "salary hits" in the playoffs and always lets the offensive player stand in front of the net. Mac will have some growing pains but he is just what we need big , physical and someone no one on the opposition wants to be on the same side of the ice with. Also, he has a heavy shot from the point and improved his offense this season. We need to spend money elsewhere than an overblown strahlman. Get staal and kreider signed longterm with that money and have big mac and get allen up here and playing. The youth movement moves on!!

mrmel329 is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:53 AM
  #44
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSauer View Post
I've heard he has a BIG (triple digits MPH) shot from the point; maybe the best in the system. Can anyone who's seen him down in HFD confirm?

Maybe could be that big shot from the point we've been dying for...
He is a big boy. Years ago his shot was around 96 mph but it has probably gotten harder since his body has matured. He will still add more muscle as he gets older. In this last season he showed a few new offensive skills.

NickyFotiu is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:53 AM
  #45
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundquest View Post
I always like to compare plus/minus to wins for starting pitchers in baseball. It's not a stat that is always in control of the player. A hockey player can have a flawless shift but a mistake by a teammate could give him a negative rating, similar to how a pitcher could not get a win because he received no run support. Plus/minus isn't a really good way to judge player efficiency.
I think this is the best analogy I've heard yet regarding plus/minus.

Depending on plus/minus as the best way to define a player's contribution is as silly as disregarding it as a meaningless stat.


Last edited by Jersey Girl: 06-19-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Jersey Girl is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 10:54 AM
  #46
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Can we also include the people who saw McIlrath **** the bed against actual NHL competition?

Thanks in advance.
Extrapolating from a 2 game sample size from a year ago is going to yield very helpful analysis, I'm sure.

haveandare is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 11:00 AM
  #47
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I remember when we kept Sauer and sent McD down to the AHL. In his first few games in the AHL that season he looked really bad. Did we judge McD by those few AHL games or wait to see how he progressed? There is no reason to judge Dylan before we see how he plays in camp.
Fair enough.

Even though McIlrath's readiness (or lack thereof) will have a big impact on what the team does with Stralman

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
  #48
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,073
vCash: 50
You can really tell who watches Hartford and who doesn't by the quality of posts about McIlrath.

__________________
"If you can't skate well and/or can't make a clean first pass, you aren't a defensive defenseman. You are a bad defenseman." - Travis Yost
Raspewtin is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
  #49
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Extrapolating from a 2 game sample size from a year ago is going to yield very helpful analysis, I'm sure.
Just as much as watching him against minor leaguers and declaring him NHL ready, Im sure.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-19-2014, 11:21 AM
  #50
TurgePurge*
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Does McIlrath ever actually beat the piss out of his opponent? It seems like most of the time he fights to a draw and then gives the guy a 'way to go' love tap to the butt.

I dont care about fighting but the video doesnt really back up his reputation.

TurgePurge* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.