HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hart trophy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-23-2007, 12:53 PM
  #1
Aquiace
The Goggles!
 
Aquiace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in VanCity
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Hart trophy

This article came up on the Canucks.com message board and I thought to myself, why isn't Marion Gaborik mentioned?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ien&id=2798268

I should mention, I'm not a wild fan So I'm not being a Wild homer about this. People talked earlier this year about "the gaborik effect" and I found it interesting. Rolston is great. Demitra has done well for himself. Backstrom has done very well lately. But the record speaks for itself. I could not find what the current stats are, something like only 7 of the Wild losses this year were with him in the lineup.

Everyone says Sidney Crosby, but that's because Pittsburg has become the media darling. Penguins would do fine even if Crosby wasn't in the lineup. Then the other train of thought has been Brodeur, whom the Devils would be hard-pressed to replace. Canucks fans chant "MVP MVP" at their games. Lecavalier is having a great year and has been piling up the goals. There are arguments you can make for all of the candidates.

But I would give it to Gaborik well before I gave it to Crosby. His impact on the Wild has been substantial. He is such an exciting player to watch and for a few years was--in my honest opinion--the only really exciting thing about the Wild (I'm sure you have all heard this a thousand times). He reminds me of Pavel Bure back in '94 where he creates chances every time he touched the puck and made defensemen look like pylons.

Thought I would mention it because I think you guys should get some recognition for it. Although I know that the minds of the NHLWA have already been made and the odds of it changing now are slim to none.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 01:06 PM
  #2
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
I think he's surely the team's MVP. As far as league mvp though, I think missing all those games hurts him in that contest.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 01:07 PM
  #3
kurt
the last emperor
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,543
vCash: 400
This guy's 1st in the NHL in goals per game (for guys that have played more than 1 game this season). Minny is an absolute force with him in the lineup.

I don't expect him to get any Hart attention, though he certainly deserves it.

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 02:00 PM
  #4
The Big E
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 807
vCash: 500
I'm okay with Gaborik remaining unnoticed. We all know he's out talisman. We don't need it to go to his head. We need him to play a whole season and break 100 points.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 02:11 PM
  #5
Bobby Lou
We Surrender
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
He'd definitely be up there if he hadn't been injured.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
  #6
tk421
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber View Post
I think he's surely the team's MVP. As far as league mvp though, I think missing all those games hurts him in that contest.
NHL mvp is for the player most valuable to his team, I See Luongo and Gaborik as the top of this list.

tk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 04:49 PM
  #7
ceber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Wyoming, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
I dunno. I think you can argue that other guys are more valuable because they got into more games and had big impacts.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:15 PM
  #8
maccam
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
he's missed too many games to be considered this year but i understand he is going to stay in minny during the summer to train seriously which should eliminate the injury problems of the past. he and crosby will be my top pool picks next year. a healthy gaborik for a full year, watch out!

maccam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 05:29 PM
  #9
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,484
vCash: 5792
Gaborik has been great obviously, but I think Rolston was playing MVP hockey before Crosby really took off and the Wild hit a slump.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 01:05 AM
  #10
Karl
Registered User
 
Karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The State of Hockey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Next season. Hopefully the Conn Smythe this season.

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 02:02 AM
  #11
vitogor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,588
vCash: 500
It's funny, I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago when yet another Hart discussion popped up on the main board. I wanted to mention Gaborik, but didn't want to get flamed, so I didn't.

Up until this season, I haven't viewed Gaborik as a Hart-caliber player, or even a true franchise player. I was even once called a "Gaborik hater" on these boards. But seeing what he's done this season, and most importantly how much he means to the team, I'm ready to admit that I was wrong on both counts. All you have to do is look at the Wild record with Gaborik and without him, it's mind boggling. The definition of the Hart Trophy is a player most valuable to HIS team. Looking at that record, I'd say that Gabby is pretty darn valuable to his team. It's not even his scoring pace that makes him a special player, it's all the confidence he gives his teammates. Confidence that even if they are not having the best of games they can still win it, all they have to do is flip the puck out in the general direction of a streaking Gaborik, and he'll make something happen.

He will not win the Hart this year obviously, he won't even get mentioned. But I'm sure a lot of people have taken notice of how special a player he is, and how valuable he is to this team. His is the franchise.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 04:48 AM
  #12
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 50
All I know is that Gabby has made a true believer out of me in him. The guy has allowed us to lose, what..., 15 games while he has been playing. On top of that, he is almost in the 30 goal count meaning hes been scoring left and right. And unlike many high goal scorers, he also is pushing out assists like its nothing too.

I would honestly think he should get a shot.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 08:08 AM
  #13
Aquiace
The Goggles!
 
Aquiace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in VanCity
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccam View Post
he's missed too many games to be considered this year but i understand he is going to stay in minny during the summer to train seriously which should eliminate the injury problems of the past. he and crosby will be my top pool picks next year. a healthy gaborik for a full year, watch out!
That's why I mentioned it. If it wasn't for his long term injury I think he would have got a lot more attention. But I think for the most part the Wild have flown under the radar this season which I think has only helped. I also mentioned Pavel Bure because he too was an amazing player who often injured himself with his style of play and he was forced to retire at the age of 32 due to those injuries. I really hope that doesn't happen to Gaborik because I think guys like him add the much needed entertainment to the NHL.

However, I do think the Wild right now could be a threat without him. I think his return was more symbolic, because I think it elevated everyone's game. If he were out again, I don't think it would hinder your team's playoff chances that much because you guys still have a pretty deep roster. That could be a factor for not being nominated.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 11:01 AM
  #14
Pepsi12pac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Shoreview
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
The guy has allowed us to lose, what..., 15 games while he has been playing.
Actually I think we've only lost 7 games while he's been in the lineup.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 01:33 AM
  #15
koyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi12pac View Post
Actually I think we've only lost 7 games while he's been in the lineup.
That's correct.

koyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 12:39 PM
  #16
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,530
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi12pac View Post
Actually I think we've only lost 7 games while he's been in the lineup.
yea didn't read that

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:56 PM
  #17
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,341
vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
This article came up on the Canucks.com message board and I thought to myself, why isn't Marion Gaborik mentioned?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...ien&id=2798268

I should mention, I'm not a wild fan So I'm not being a Wild homer about this. People talked earlier this year about "the gaborik effect" and I found it interesting. Rolston is great. Demitra has done well for himself. Backstrom has done very well lately. But the record speaks for itself. I could not find what the current stats are, something like only 7 of the Wild losses this year were with him in the lineup.

Everyone says Sidney Crosby, but that's because Pittsburg has become the media darling. Penguins would do fine even if Crosby wasn't in the lineup. Then the other train of thought has been Brodeur, whom the Devils would be hard-pressed to replace. Canucks fans chant "MVP MVP" at their games. Lecavalier is having a great year and has been piling up the goals. There are arguments you can make for all of the candidates.

But I would give it to Gaborik well before I gave it to Crosby. His impact on the Wild has been substantial. He is such an exciting player to watch and for a few years was--in my honest opinion--the only really exciting thing about the Wild (I'm sure you have all heard this a thousand times). He reminds me of Pavel Bure back in '94 where he creates chances every time he touched the puck and made defensemen look like pylons.

Thought I would mention it because I think you guys should get some recognition for it. Although I know that the minds of the NHLWA have already been made and the odds of it changing now are slim to none.
No way!!! Are you crazy? He's their leader for everything. Without him, they are not anything..Look at Pitt's record when eh doesn't score a point....(Including last season) they are like 5 wins and 40 losses!

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 11:18 AM
  #18
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Oil13 View Post
No way!!! Are you crazy? He's their leader for everything. Without him, they are not anything..Look at Pitt's record when eh doesn't score a point....(Including last season) they are like 5 wins and 40 losses!
Malkin, Recchi, Staal, Gonchar and Fleury can easily win without Crosby

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
  #19
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 528
The Wild are a decent team without Gaborik in the lineup, but a very good if not great team with him. I think Luongo easily fits this category as well.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:26 PM
  #20
DL44
Registered User
 
DL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 5,496
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Malkin, Recchi, Staal, Gonchar and Fleury can easily win without Crosby
you think Fleury and his 2.87GAA and 0.904 SV% would still have 36 wins without Crosby's 110 pts.

you don't take 110pts out of a lineup and say any team would be 'fine'.

that's quite hilarious. Crosby is perhaps the most talented offensive talent in the league, and you think the pens wouldn't miss a beat?

must be that anti-Crosby bias.

Where was Minny without Gaborik? I suppose the Lightning would be in the playoff hunt without Vinny and his 50g, 100pts since they St.Louis (also~100pts), Richards and Boyle...
funny stuff.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
  #21
CB420
Registered User
 
CB420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton,AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 623
vCash: 500
I bet if Marian Gaborik wasen't injured earlier, he would not only recieve some votes for the Hart, but he would be in the running for the Art Ross, he has the second best goals per game, last time I checked the stats, only Ryan Smyth before he was traded I believe had more goals per game then Gaborik. He's defiantely one of the most dynamic players in the league, the slick slovak, his speed is lethal, the stats speak for themselves.... 30-7-5 when he's in the lineup, and 18-1-2 when he scores a goal, hopefully the Wild and Gaborik make that stat 31-7-5 and 19-1-2 when he scores against the flamers tonight

No doubt though in my mind that Crosby is the hands down favouite to take the Hart, theres Crosby then theres everyone else. What more can you say, the Pens had something like 55 or 56 points last year, yeah they did have Crosby on their team last year, Malkin however hasent gone unnoticed, he's for sure helped that team, gave them some depth, Crosby is even better this year though, he keeps getting better, he's allready surpassed his point totals of last year (and oh yeah, he's only 19) Fluery has to be given alot of Credit for the Pens success this year, He' might even get a few votes for the Vezna this season, without a shadow of a doubt though Crosby will win it, Thornton and a few others deserve consideration, Marty Broduer might win the Vezna, but Luongo I think will win it this year, regardless of how the Canucks do in the postseason, Just my opinion.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.