HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dylan McIlrath

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Just as much as watching him against minor leaguers and declaring him NHL ready, Im sure.
Yeah, thats the thing. You think our guys actually making the roster decisions are watching every Hartford game? Yah, like fur shurrrrr......

You are being rational and looking at him as an all around player at the pro level. Your opposition could care less about one or two minuses a game if he's 'clearing the crease in front of hank!'. Get me?

He's young, still not sure why anyone would be so high or so low at this point. Be objective, look at similar players his game emulates. Almost all of them start full time NHL minutes around 23-26 years old. My hope is that he can have a season along the lines of Radek Gudas, TB player who just turned 24, 3rd rounder from '10 draft. But if he spends another year in Hartford (possible with spot callup) while upping his game down there without getting hurt I'd be happy But there's no way he should he handed a RD spot w/o earning it.

Old
06-19-2014, 11:25 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurgePurge View Post
Does McIlrath ever actually beat the piss out of his opponent? It seems like most of the time he fights to a draw and then gives the guy a 'way to go' love tap to the butt.

I dont care about fighting but the video doesnt really back up his reputation.
Judging his fighting by that 1 clip would be equivalent to judging Drew Doughtys defense all by the clip of Boyle beating him for a goal. They both looked exhausted in that clip. He has had much better fights.

Old
06-19-2014, 11:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Can McIlrath discussions be limited to people who watched at least a dozen Hartford games this year? Seems like 90% have no clue what's up, except that they want Tarasenko, so they feel the need to crap on Dylan without any knowledge.
This is one of the most insulting takes I've ever read.

Mcilraths development is not related to tarasenko.

Anyone who has watched dylans game the last few years has seen a guy who can fight and make a hit. Hes improved his skating and his overall play but there are still holes in his game.

At this point an Nhl 3rd pair regular shift is a reach. We have guys who are better den right now.

He's not guaranteed anything next year at this point. And for the 10th pick in 2010, that's not that good really.

Old
06-19-2014, 11:28 AM
TurgePurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Judging his fighting by that 1 clip would be equivalent to judging Drew Doughtys defense all by the clip of Boyle beating him for a goal. They both looked exhausted in that clip. He has had much better fights.
I was referring to his ahl fight card. Care to post some of his impressive work?

Old
06-19-2014, 11:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, thats the thing. You think our guys actually making the roster decisions are watching every Hartford game? Yah, like fur shurrrrr......

You are being rational and looking at him as an all around player at the pro level. Your opposition could care less about one or two minuses a game if he's 'clearing the crease in front of hank!'. Get me?

He's young, still not sure why anyone would be so high or so low at this point. Be objective, look at similar players his game emulates. Almost all of them start full time NHL minutes around 23-26 years old. My hope is that he can have a season along the lines of Radek Gudas, TB player who just turned 24, 3rd rounder from '10 draft. But if he spends another year in Hartford (possible with spot callup) while upping his game down there without getting hurt I'd be happy But there's no way he should he handed a RD spot w/o earning it.
Right. You think the coaching staff has time to watch Hartford games? Im sure they catch some video to inform their decisions, but the decision on McIlrath will live and die in camp, against NHL competition.

Part of the job description of being an NHL coach is making this kind of call. The way McIlrath has performed so far against NHL competition has made it a no brainer

Old
06-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Wolfy*
The Hobbit Rules!

Quote:
Does McIlrath ever actually beat the piss out of his opponent? It seems like most of the time he fights to a draw and then gives the guy a 'way to go' love tap to the butt.

I dont care about fighting but the video doesnt really back up his reputation.
Well, he has won most of his fights in the minors.

And he owned this guy...

Old
06-19-2014, 11:48 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
I was referring to his ahl fight card. Care to post some of his impressive work?
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/114599

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/118486

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/118801

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyCwjqDlxfU

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/123272

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/115771

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116056

Old
06-19-2014, 11:50 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Just as much as watching him against minor leaguers and declaring him NHL ready, Im sure.
When I did I declare him ready? I'm saying that it's silly to say he's not ready right now based on something that happened over a tiny sample size a year ago.

Many other players made the jump from AHL to NHL. It's not like the comparison is so far out there that nobody can get a grip on it. It's the NHL's development league. Part of the reason it exists is to allow NHL teams to get a handle on where their prospects are in a single league that they can have a decent understanding of.

I think watching a player grow in the AHL over a huge span of games over roughly a calendar year is more revealing about their development than watching that player play a few games at the NHL level a year ago. Neither give a full picture, like playing in the NHL currently, or ASAP in this case, will.

Last edited by haveandare: 06-19-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old
06-19-2014, 12:10 PM
mrmel329

And one thing abundantly clear is that if anyone runs our players with dylan on the ice there will be immediate consequences which might save us a concussion or 2 because of the deterrent.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:12 PM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmel329 View Post
And one thing abundantly clear is that if anyone runs our players with dylan on the ice there will be immediate consequences which might save us a concussion or 2 because of the deterrent.
That is a big deal but I would not mind if he fights less in the future. I think his hitting and reach will make him a good dman so I do not want to lose him to concussions or hand injuries.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:14 PM
Pizza

I'm all done with the scream fest factor that surrounds this prospect.

The folks who were against this pick have a good argument when it comes to pointing out the lack of finish that the Rangers displayed in the SCF. Obviously Fowler or Tarasnko could have helped. So a bit of mea culpa from me there....but just a little. Long term, I still think this will wind up being a solid pick. That is part of why this discussion always get so heated.

That he can fight and physically intimidate is a given. That should no longer be the focus on this players development. To me it has always come down to one thing:

If McIlrath can develop into a defenseman as competent as Mike Sauer was then add that to his...um, other qualities...and then the Rangers have a tremendous success with this pick.

Jury is still out. He just turned 22. The Rangers are finally in a position to not have to rush a prospect. We'll see. I'm pretty confident from what I've heard.

With Skjei, Graves and Allen already in the system, the Rangers future on the back line looks pretty good.

Last edited by Pizza: 06-19-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old
06-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Can we also include the people who saw McIlrth **** the bed against actual NHL competition?

Thanks in advance.

You mean the way Brian Leetch couldn't play defense even at a minor league level at the sane age? Or the way Martin St. Louis and more recently Mars Zuccarello struggled at an even older age?

All those prospects you are hailing like Duclair and Skjei... do you know how badly they'd crap the bed if they played against NHLers last season? Do you know just how awful Kreider was in his time in Hartford during the lockout?

The best way to gauge a prospect is by looking at his progress, not his current play. That's why there is a lot of hope for Duke, Skjei, Butcher - they keep improving. And McIlrath is one of those types of prospects who improves from month to month.

He is already a better player than what he was when he got called up. He will be a quality NHLer, significantly better than the vast majority of #10 overall picks over the last 25 drafts from 1990 to 2014.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
You mean the way Brian Leetch couldn't play defense even at a minor league level at the sane age? Or the way Martin St. Louis and more recently Mars Zuccarello struggled at an even older age?
1) Leetch never played in the minors. And with what Leetch brought offensively, you live with defensive shortcomings (although I think was an underrated defensive player in his prime).

2) St. Louis and Zuccarello aren't defensemen.

06-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

All those prospects you are hailing like Duclair and Skjei... do you know how badly they'd crap the bed if they played against NHLers last season? Do you know just how awful Kreider was in his time in Hartford during the lockout?

The best way to gauge a prospect is by looking at his progress, not his current play. That's why there is a lot of hope for Duke, Skjei, Butcher - they keep improving. And McIlrath is one of those types of prospects who improves from month to month.

He is already a better player than what he was when he got called up. He will be a quality NHLer, significantly better than the vast majority of #10 overall picks over the last 25 drafts from 1990 to 2014.
I think it'd help if you pointed out how exactly he improved from January to February, and February to March. It makes the reader have more faith in what you think rather than your opinion that he's already NHL ready.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
The Broadway Hat

Do you guys think we could convert him to a forward if necessary? Worked for Brent burns and byfuglien (reverse)

Old
06-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:

This is exactly what you look at. When a kid isn't emotionally overwhelmed from playing his first NHL game, when he is comfortable, you can judge his speed, skill, brain, etc.

He will have growing pains in the NHL, and all Tarasenko groupies will gloat, but he is a high quality prospect.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I dont know what the big deal is. The pick was made so unless someone figures out time travel we're going to live with him.

He was obviously not ready last time. He'll get another shot this yr, and the yr after and so on. The coaching staff is certainly more aware of what he is capable of and what he's not. When he's ready, he'll be here. Until then he's an AHLr

Old
06-19-2014, 12:42 PM
NYR89

There's so much vile for this guy.

The coaching staff raves about him and he's progressing every year since being drafted and by all accounts playing well. Why hate him?

Old
06-19-2014, 12:43 PM
EEL

My 2 cents`
I didn't mind the pick at the time because I felt we lacked what he brought.
That said I just don't see him ever filling that role (that is based on watching a dozen AHL games and highlights)
I'm also not sold on his fighting. Yes he is very willing and will protect his teammates but his off balance hay maker style doesn't work @ NHL level unless you have an iron chin.
I really hope I am wrong because I really like the kid.
In hindsight it was a mistake taking him at 10!

Old
06-19-2014, 12:43 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

I didn't get to watch McIlrath a lot during the end of the season, but in the beginning when I watched the AHL regularly I can say this:

Any time there was an altercation on the ice, McIlrath was the first guy to jump in for his teammates. He always had his teammates backs.

That's a thing a lot of people on this board clamor about. Showing heart. Well, McIlrath has a ton of heart. It's a quality I firmly believe is contagious. When McI is standing up for his teammates, the rest of the guys seem to follow suit.

Again, I didn't watch him a lot during the end, but in the beginning I could see balance was certainly an issue, but his positioning was there from time to time and he had trouble handling passes. When the puck was at his stick, he had no issues moving the puck effectively. And he's just a monster on ice.

This board is always crying about needing to get tougher, well McI is gonna get you tougher. I look forward to the same board complaining about how he sucks.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:46 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

At this point an Nhl 3rd pair regular shift is a reach. We have guys who are better den right now.

He's not guaranteed anything next year at this point. And for the 10th pick in 2010, that's not that good really.
Who do they have that is a better 3rd pairing guy? Assuming Stralman is gone...

Old
06-19-2014, 12:46 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

My only issue with McIlrath is that he fights the wrong guys. At some point he has to realize how valuable he is (at least at the AHL level) and can't be fighting career AHL goons.

Hopefully he picks his fights more carefully going forward.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:49 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
I didn't get to watch McIlrath a lot during the end of the season, but in the beginning when I watched the AHL regularly I can say this:

Any time there was an altercation on the ice, McIlrath was the first guy to jump in for his teammates. He always had his teammates backs.

That's a thing a lot of people on this board clamor about. Showing heart. Well, McIlrath has a ton of heart. It's a quality I firmly believe is contagious. When McI is standing up for his teammates, the rest of the guys seem to follow suit.

Again, I didn't watch him a lot during the end, but in the beginning I could see balance was certainly an issue, but his positioning was there from time to time and he had trouble handling passes. When the puck was at his stick, he had no issues moving the puck effectively. And he's just a monster on ice.

This board is always crying about needing to get tougher, well McI is gonna get you tougher. I look forward to the same board complaining about how he sucks.
His balance and positioning/picking his spots improved tremendously towards the end of the year. He seemed much more settled. Then he started showing some offensive flair a bit. Something he has to continue to develop for sure, but there is some nice upside there.

Old
06-19-2014, 12:50 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
My only issue with McIlrath is that he fights the wrong guys. At some point he has to realize how valuable he is (at least at the AHL level) and can't be fighting career AHL goons.

Hopefully he picks his fights more carefully going forward.
He picks his fights quite well, IMO. He understands that part of the game better than most goons do

Old
06-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
This is one of the most insulting takes I've ever read.

Mcilraths development is not related to tarasenko.

100% of the assault against McIlrath is from people who are using him to prove to everyone how smart they are. This was the one draft when fans were right. Yes, Tarasenko panned out.

Now people screaming, "see, see, I told you, I was right, you see, you see? I said Tarasenko, but they drafted McIlrath, and I was right. Do you see how I was right? I was always right. I know hockey, I am smart. You see how smart I am!"

But nobody remembers that the following year most wanted McNeill or Biggs, and nobody wanted Miller. Nobody remembers that 90% of the players fans want are droppers who become busts ("we are so lucky, we can get a player THN ranked at #8 with our #22...oh wait, how could we skip him?!")

This was the one time the fans were right, so let's milk it for 4 years and counting.

Closed Thread