HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are Habs ruining Galchenyuk?

Old
06-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Dekar

vCash: 500
I think there's an expectation by many fans for him to quickly blossom into one of the league's top players in a short time like a few other generational talents have. Thing is, Chuckie will be an elite forward, there's almost no doubt about it, but he's not this overwhelmingly amazing talent that comes along once in a lifetime.

The fact that he's a top 6 guy at 20 means that by his physical prime (6 to 10 more years), he'll be chewing defences up and spitting them out. The fact that he's getting such an early start means he'll be sharpened beyond normalcy where most other players wouldn't be at the same age.

This fanbase is impatient, and that's pefectly normal for us. But a reminder now and then that he's not going to be a fully-fledged superstar at 20-21-22 will be necessary sometimes.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:30 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
So we drafted him to be our future number one center. Big forward with skill and speed and he has never played it consistently. I think that he needs to play center this coming up year because if not, he will never be able to pan out.

What do you guys think?
1: at 6'1 (or 6'05), i'd hardly call him big. 2: fast is not the 5th word that comes to mind when describing him. 3: it's all desharnais fault

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Kojo

They ruined his stats but not his confidence.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Not ruining as a NHLer, but I'm not sure they're developing him well if their goal is to be a center. He hasn't exactly played the position in a long time (including a lot of his final junior year). In fact, the coach put him at wing in the WJC20 because that's what he played the most.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Kojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Not ruining as a NHLer, but I'm not sure they're developing him well if their goal is to be a center. He hasn't exactly played the position in a long time (including a lot of his final junior year). In fact, the coach put him at wing in the WJC20 because that's what he played the most.
The goal is for him to be successful. Whether at center or on the wing is of little consequence.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:48 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Chucky to bartending school (O5)

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Lionel Mandrake

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Eclipse View Post
You don't see how playing well and not getting rewarded might hurt a players' confidence?

Or how playing 12 minutes a game might do nothing to help translate your talent into actual skill?
Completely disagree with all of that. It's part of being a pro. If you don't have the mental strengh to go through that and understand that most established players went through the exact same thing then you simply don't belong in the NHL.

Old
06-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Sergachevosaurus

He'll need to play center to pan out IMO. But we are far away from a ruined kid. The direction will decide if they feel like they can go with him as a center, first or second, this year or next but he'll end there to fully blossom sooner than later.

Sergachevosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 11:28 PM
M.C.G. 31
SHUT UP, TOM!!!

vCash: 50
No.

If he doesn't start playing at center next year, though, they'll be stalling his development, imo.

06-18-2014, 11:41 PM
HBDay
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I think there's an expectation by many fans for him to quickly blossom into one of the league's top players in a short time like a few other generational talents have. Thing is, Chuckie will be an elite forward, there's almost no doubt about it, but he's not this overwhelmingly amazing talent that comes along once in a lifetime.

The fact that he's a top 6 guy at 20 means that by his physical prime (6 to 10 more years), he'll be chewing defences up and spitting them out. The fact that he's getting such an early start means he'll be sharpened beyond normalcy where most other players wouldn't be at the same age.

This fanbase is impatient, and that's pefectly normal for us. But a reminder now and then that he's not going to be a fully-fledged superstar at 20-21-22 will be necessary sometimes.
This guy's. I couldn't have said it better myself. He is not a once in a generation talent. He doesn't have a particular knack for the back of the net to be honest. Or a particular knack for getting assists to be honest.. He is not a true goal scorer or a true set-up man. Just a good hockey player.

Now, P.K. Subban.. P.K. I would consider to be a generational talent.

We will never get another P.K. as long as we watch this team mark my words. Enjoy it.

HBDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 11:56 PM
CaptainBenn
King Thranduil swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gainesvillain View Post
You mean like how the Bruins 'ruined' Tyler Seguin by putting him on the wing?
when seguin was put to center he exploded

if anything had he been on the bruins this year and still on the wings he would not have been this good

why is MT limiting galchenyuk's ice time and playing him on the wings? while giving more time to old blocks like gionta..

CaptainBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Strategize

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
when seguin was put to center he exploded

if anything had he been on the bruins this year and still on the wings he would not have been this good

why is MT limiting galchenyuk's ice time and playing him on the wings? while giving more time to old blocks like gionta..
Seguin was further in his development prior to the 2013 season than Galchenyuk is right now.

1/ Seguin is 2 years older.
2/ Seguin did not miss his entire sophomore season in Junior like Galchenyuk.
3/ Seguin's speed and acceleration are way superior to Galy's which helps Seguin control and carry the puck more effectively.
4/ Seguin in his second season in the NHL lead the Bruins in scoring with 67 points.

Having said this, Galchenyuk could still surpass Seguin in the future because I think Galy has better vision/playmaking skills.
But since he doesn't have top end speed/acceleration, he needs to work on his strength, espescially lower body strength in order to protect the puck, come out of the corners with the puck and make a play and set up his wingers. For his own good, the habs should ease him in by starting him as #2 center playing 15-18 minutes per game. They can put him on the 1st PP unit to help him produce more points and give him more confidence.

Strategize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Stripper

Seguin had the same parcour before he got traded and played center... What Galchenyuk needs is a top scorer like Benn to help him out. Good thing we've got Pacioretty.

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 04:56 AM
Strategize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Seguin had the same parcour before he got traded and played center... What Galchenyuk needs is a top scorer like Benn to help him out. Good thing we've got Pacioretty.
Benn is a better all-around player than Pacio. Better two-way, better passer, stronger along the boards, etc. although Patch is the better pure shooter.

What I'm trying to say with in my previous post is that Seguin was more likely to succeed as the bonafide #1 C of a hockey team than Galy would be right now....If the habs really want to play Galy at C as soon as next season, he must start at #2 and little by little he could become #1.

Strategize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
1: at 6'1 (or 6'05), i'd hardly call him big. 2: fast is not the 5th word that comes to mind when describing him. 3: it's all desharnais fault
His height is quite average, but his shoulder width is huge. He has a very wide frame that, once he fills out, will make him very hard to knock off the puck. When we say he's big, we refer to his overall stature, not simply his height.

I agree that he's not particularly quick. He can work on his foot speed, but we knew from the day he was drafted that he would not impress us with his skating. Although when he gets into full flight, he is very fast. His top speed is up there.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 05:52 AM
habtastic

I really loathe the sentiment "This is why everyone hates Habs fans" when one of US posts it to make a point about their opinion, which differs from other posters, on OUR board.

Having said that (hopefully someone will get the Curb reference), we have way too many threads indicative of how bored we are right now and how much we miss the season/playoffs.

Just sayin', I'm still in massive withdrawal. Watching the WC just makes me miss that feeling. And the Bell Centre ftm.

Chucky is just fine. MB is doing a great job and the Habs are finally experiencing a resurgence towards the ultimate goal. I know Whitesnake would go ape-**** over this opinion, but it's what I think. Horizon 2-4 years.

I miss the "Habs are ruining Leblanc" thread.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Winter Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Mandrake View Post
Completely disagree with all of that. It's part of being a pro. If you don't have the mental strengh to go through that and understand that most established players went through the exact same thing then you simply don't belong in the NHL.
Personally, I think it's ridiculous to only reward certain players for good performances.

Secondly, nothing of what you just said addresses how limited playing time might undermine skill development.

Winter Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Milhouse40

Just a quick observation: How many injuries Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller suffered in the last couple of year (3-4) ? The only one that comes to mind is Gryba's hit on Eller.

That's a good reason to take out a 20yo franchise center from playing along the boards....less contact in the middle of the ice.

This kid need the sugar minutes.
Don't care if it's on the wing or at center, but at least, he need to get those minutes.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 08:29 AM
Lionel Mandrake

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Eclipse View Post
Personally, I think it's ridiculous to only reward certain players for good performances.

Secondly, nothing of what you just said addresses how limited playing time might undermine skill development.
Just seeing and thinking the game at that level helps development and growth. We're not talking about a guy playing 5 min every second game. He has a defined role with the team and plays enough that he can progress and learn. The rest is up to him. He has to force his coach's hand. So far he hasn't and while I do want him at center sooner than later, I also understand he still has holes that can be more easily hidden on the wing. You make it sound like he's being benched on most nights. The guy played close to 15 min a game and he hasn't even played two complete seasons yet. Talk about being impatient.

Old
06-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Winter Eclipse

Quote:
He has a defined role with the team and plays enough that he can progress and learn. The rest is up to him.
What's this defined role he has right now? 3rd line wing?

Quote:
He has to force his coach's hand. So far he hasn't and while I do want him at center sooner than later, I also understand he still has holes that can be more easily hidden on the wing.
He hasn't? Really? The guy gets 3rd line minutes and 2nd wave PP time (which we all know was usually the dregs left over from the 1st wave not scoring) and he has to do better than a .5 ppg ratio? You're honestly saying that a 40 point pace for a 3rd liner is inadequate?

Quote:
You make it sound like he's being benched on most nights. The guy played close to 15 min a game and he hasn't even played two complete seasons yet. Talk about being impatient.
He was closer to 14 minutes than 15, so hopefully he gets that extra minute bump in his 3rd season, but only if he hits 60 points on the 3rd line, amirite?

Winter Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
The goal is for him to be successful. Whether at center or on the wing is of little consequence.
A good center is considerably more valuable than a good winger. All good teams have at least one high quality C. On this team, a high quality center has been a missing piece for a while. They don't have anything close to a #1C right now while Pacioretty has the #1LW tied up longterm. IMO big waste to miss out on the chance on developing one properly (unlikely to get another player that has as much potential to become a #1C) in favour of keeping lesser players somewhat useful.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Fozz

Obviously a troll thread. The OP wrote and ran away laughing. One-way trip to ignore list.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Bloumeister
#PKexit WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Chucky to bartending school (O5)

... but... but... he's not even legal in some states

Last edited by Bloumeister: 06-19-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: link from imgur.com had **** in it :)
Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 11:59 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Price is Right View Post
So we drafted him to be our future number one center. Big forward with skill and speed and he has never played it consistently. I think that he needs to play center this coming up year because if not, he will never be able to pan out.

What do you guys think?
What do I think? I think he's just 20 years old and has some learning to do. Future #1 center, yes. The future isn't now. He will pan out fine, give him time.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

A couple of things that keep coming up here that are myths...

1-that center is his "natural position", he hasn't played there in 3+ years when he was 16 in the OHL

2-that he needs to play center to develop, look at Kane Kessel Perry St.Louis Iginla Sharp Benn Parise Jagr who have all had great offensive careers playing on the wing or even ROR last year setting a career high playing LW despite being a center until that point.

Above all else Galchenyuk needs to make strides offensively, to be a 55-60 point guy or better, he isn't there yet. That is where his primary focus should be not learning faceoffs of defensive coverage as a center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote