HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

CBC Hockey Night in Canada - 1952/2014

Old
06-14-2014, 02:46 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Here ya go, March 14th 1987; about a 35 second nothing of a comment: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx33a0u3gmg and he's suspended the next day, released the following week & replaced by Ron MacLean. CBC was then & still is today hyper-sensitive to any criticism of its programming & scheduling, particularly so when it comes to the Almighty National. I was pretty ticked off about it at the time as I recall. Dave Hodge a terrific Host, had been around since 1971, the face of HNIC before MaClean & Cherry put their stamp on things. He was only 26 or so when he won the job, a breath of fesh air, young modern face coinciding with the post 68 & 1970's (he worked Buffalo in 70/71 on their first seasons broadcasts before joining HNIC) Expansions. We watched him & the league sort of growing up together. Filling out.
You know I liked Hodge back then. Thought he always had a chip on his shoulder since though and not in a good way. But still liked the man. Then he used his Twitter a couple of years ago to make one of the stupidest quotes from a person of his position that I've ever seen. It was regarding Tim Thomas and not wanting to visit the White House after the Bruins won the Cup. People forget, lots of players don't like doing this. James Harrison of the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't like it. Recently Marshawn Lynch of the Seahawks turned it down as well. Both of those players are black and Hodge should have been more informed after this tweet:

"Just realized that all three of Tim Thomas' children start with a K."

Since then I've thought the man was a tool. Honestly, Twitter makes people dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
Major technical screw-up after the game ended. Can you imagine if it happened during the game when the goal was scored???
Yeah, the first thing I thought when that happened was............."Heidi............from 1968." Google it if you aren't familiar folks. Put it this way, someone lost their job over that. Anyway, last night at least NBC saved the day. But that should just never happen.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 04:51 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
You know I liked Hodge back then. Thought he always had a chip on his shoulder since though and not in a good way. But still liked the man. Then he used his Twitter a couple of years ago to make one of the stupidest quotes from a person of his position that I've ever seen. It was regarding Tim Thomas and not wanting to visit the White House after the Bruins won the Cup. People forget, lots of players don't like doing this. James Harrison of the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't like it. Recently Marshawn Lynch of the Seahawks turned it down as well. Both of those players are black and Hodge should have been more informed after this tweet:

"Just realized that all three of Tim Thomas' children start with a K."

Since then I've thought the man was a tool. Honestly, Twitter makes people dumb.
Yeah BP, inappropriate comment. For some reason Twitter bypasses our internal editor. However, Hodge's comments about CBC were also spur of the moment. I'll chalk his comment about Thomas up to the "mouth race" occurring in the sports media world.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Yeah BP, inappropriate comment. For some reason Twitter bypasses our internal editor. However, Hodge's comments about CBC were also spur of the moment. I'll chalk his comment about Thomas up to the "mouth race" occurring in the sports media world.
The thing is, Hodge reacted out of frustration on air with CBC. He was right, the network was being dysfunctional at that time. On Twitter this isn't the case. People have time to think, settle down and then react. You type what you are saying, you send it, you hit enter, you can stop at any time and no one will see it. Of all the things people get fired over from Twitter it is crazy to think that a sports analyst wouldn't lose his job by insinuating that an athlete just simply didn't want to meet the President because he was black and that he, oh, may or may not have purposely named his kids with three "K"s as a nod to his KKK involvement. Man, that's offensive and I am not sensitive at all. Hodge clarified it the next day that he was only making a "light hearted" observation. Still stupid though.

Old
06-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Huh. Hadnt heard about this faux pas before now and ya, obviously pretty stupid thing to be saying..... and moving right along back into the past, you remember Ward Cornell? Host from 1959/71. He's the guy I remember very well indeed. Had been a School Teacher at Pickering College in the early 50's, a private boys school north of Toronto, working nights & weekends in radio, then left teaching altogether to become GM of a station while also hosting HNIC broadcasts from Maple Leaf Gardens. After leaving HNIC in 1971 (replaced by Dave Hodge) he went on to have a fairly lengthy career in the Civil Service as Ontarios Trade Representative in London (UK) and Senior Civil Service roles with the provincial government during Bill Davis's run as Premier in the 70's.

Here he is interviewing (2:15) Punch Imlach in 1962: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP67ANeu4Mg
And Tim Horton in 1967 after the Leafs won their last Stanley Cup (0:47): www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_QEK3BsC4w

Last edited by Killion: 06-14-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Canadiens1958

Ed Fitkin

Quote:
^^^ Huh. Hadnt heard about this faux pas before now and ya, obviously pretty stupid thing to be saying..... and moving right along back into the past, you remember Ward Cornell? Host from 1959/71. He's the guy I remember very well indeed. Had been a School Teacher at Pickering College in the early 50's, a private boys school north of Toronto, working nights & weekends in radio, then left teaching altogether to become GM of a station while also hosting HNIC broadcasts from Maple Leaf Gardens. After leaving HNIC in 1971 (replaced by Dave Hodge) he went on to have a fairly lengthy career in the Civil Service as Ontarios Trade Representative in London (UK) and Senior Civil Service roles with the provincial government during Bill Davis's run as Premier in the 70's.

Here he is interviewing (2:15) Punch Imlach in 1962: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP67ANeu4Mg
And Tim Horton in 1967 after the Leafs won their last Stanley Cup (0:47): www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_QEK3BsC4w
Before Ward Cornell there was Ed Fitkin on the HNIC from Toronto.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 05:19 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Before Ward Cornell there was Ed Fitkin on the HNIC from Toronto.
Indeed, along with Harold Cotton, Dave Price & Charlie Conacher while in Montreal (where the very first HNIC Broadcast was aired in the fall of 1952 followed 3wks later by Toronto) you guys had Jean Maurice Bailly I believe. By 1957 joining Fitkin you had Wes McKnight with Tom Foley & Scott Young and then in 59, Ward Cornell.

Old
06-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Some of my favourite HNIC moments:

- My parents letting me stay up late to watch the Edmonton Oilers win their final Stanley Cup with Gretzky. I was only 6 at the time, had school the next day and lived in Ontario so the game must have finished around 11pm.

- Going to my Grandparent's house on the weekend and watching HNIC sitting on the floor with my Grandfather. He passed away about 10 years ago now but seeing the classic HNIC opening from the 80's always makes me think of those Saturdays.

- Of course the Leafs '93 playoff run. At that time I was in BC and this was pre-Internet. CBC in BC showed one of the western teams for the 1st round so I didn't get to see most of the Leafs-Red Wings series. On the TV guide on Channel 2, it just said TBA for the timeslot when Game 7 was to be on so I was nervous all day if CBC was going to show the game or not. But when the CBC Sports logo came on I got so excited and it turned out to be one of my all-time favourite games.

- Regarding Ron MacLean - one of my favourite moments with him is when he hosted one of the Olympics. He's talking about a random athlete and then stumbled as he's trying to remember her hometown. But then he pulls out her obscure hometown from the top of his mind. It's incredible how he knows so many hometowns of players. It's obvious that he studies hockey a lot and spends a lot of his time off the air researching. I also like how he is a referee as well and that brings a lot of insight that other hosts don't have. I don't want to judge Strombo yet because MacLean was also a fresh face and he turned out well but George has big shoes to fill.

I'm glad they're keeping Ron with Don though. I remember Ron MacLean having personal issues for a couple weeks once and not being on HNIC so Scott Oake hosted Coaches Corner. It was so boring. I never realised what Ron MacLean brings to Coaches Corner before that. It only works because you have the contrast of the geek paired with this loudmouth jock.

- Being able to watch the Montreal Canadiens games on SRC when I was younger. I liked switching back and forth between games especially if the CBC game was boring.

- Some of the Satellite Hot Stoves were awesome. Especially with Brian Burke and Al Strachan going off on each other. I was disappointed when they moved the Hot Stove to the pre-game show this year. I guess with the Internet it's just not the same with being able to talk about news from around the league.

Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Awesome.Thanks for sharing MFP. Lots of great memories.... I too was in BC in 93 during the Leafs great run. Too bad Fletcher couldnt have finished what he'd started in Toronto. First time in years the club had really been respectable. Thereafter with Steve Stavro's acquiring the club, more interested in profit & loss, knew all about groceries, not much about hockey & didnt really care. Gretzky in fact was prepared to sign with Toronto for $3M with deferred salary so he could finish his career as a Leaf but Stavro put the kibosh on that one, 99 signing with the Rangers for $6M+... As for Strombo, absolutely. Lets see what he does before we judge.

Old
06-16-2014, 12:10 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Although I'll sorely miss Maclean, I think Strombo has the type of personality, intelligence and adaptability to fit into whatever crowd he needs to. Truth is, we all get our backs up when it comes time to change something. I agree K man, let's wait and see and try not to judge too early or harshly.

Old
06-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Truth is, we all get our backs up when it comes time to change something. I agree K man, let's wait and see and try not to judge too early or harshly.
Ya he's a bit of a Chameleon and has done some really quite excellent interviews with Gary Bettman & others from the NHL & general sports communities so Im not about to write him off in advance & cynically expect the worst. Like he'll stick out like a sore thumb or whatever. Too hip/urban. Believe it or not Ron MacLean was a music DJ right out of High School as he developed his chops so to speak with a small town Red Deer station, working the Graveyard shift. His friends dropping by the station when the bars closed to carry on, spinning records all night....He too had/has a great love for music & the arts, bit of a Musicologist. One of the perks of his job being that he meets people from a lot of walks in life including the arts and if you can imagine, is good Buddies with Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo amongst others, attending all night weekend "Bonfire Hootenannies" out near Jimmys' farm north of Toronto & so on. Lots of heavy drinking etc. Not exactly the kind of environment youd picture Ron MacLean hanging around in (but easily George Stroumboulopoulos) so there ya go. Never judge a book by its cover or a talking head on television by his carriage or haircut.

Old
06-16-2014, 02:29 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Quote:
Ya he's a bit of a Chameleon and has done some really quite excellent interviews with Gary Bettman & others from the NHL & general sports communities so Im not about to write him off in advance & cynically expect the worst. Like he'll stick out like a sore thumb or whatever. Too hip/urban. Believe it or not Ron MacLean was a music DJ right out of High School as he developed his chops so to speak with a small town Red Deer station, working the Graveyard shift. His friends dropping by the station when the bars closed to carry on, spinning records all night....He too had/has a great love for music & the arts, bit of a Musicologist. One of the perks of his job being that he meets people from a lot of walks in life including the arts and if you can imagine, is good Buddies with Jim Cuddy of Blue Rodeo amongst others, attending all night weekend "Bonfire Hootenannies" out near Jimmys' farm north of Toronto & so on. Lots of heavy drinking etc. Not exactly the kind of environment youd picture Ron MacLean hanging around in (but easily George Stroumboulopoulos) so there ya go. Never judge a book by its cover or a talking head on television by his carriage or haircut.
How 'bout that? Goes to show RM can mix with just about anyone. Mind you there's not much of a difference between athletes and musicians. Big stage, lots of star power. You have to know your place and how to gain respect and then they'll let you in and just about tell you anything. However, I think of the guys from Blue Rodeo as way more down-to-earth than many other star studded bands. Met Jim Cuddy in 1989 after one of his shows and we talked baseball for a bit. Really easy going guy. As pointed out above, the one thing Maclean has going for him that Strombo doesn't is a history of hockey experience at many levels. Could be a limitation, but he could make up for it in other ways. We'll see.

Old
06-16-2014, 08:03 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
How 'bout that?
Ya. How bout that eh? As I mentioned up~page, until Id read his book, really didnt think much of Ron MacLean. Funny how we can form an opinion about someone privately through their public personification huh? Another one with whom I havent had any direct contact or experiences with is the very polarizing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper. Rather contentious individual. Not exactly Mr. Personality, all warm & fuzzy. Quite the opposite. Cold fish.... Well, I recently read his book, A Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs & The Rise of Professional Hockey.... This is a guy you wanna have a beer with. Seriously. Forget the politics, what he does (or doesnt do) for a living. Anyone with a mind like that & so obvious a love for hockey & its history, he's just fine by me.

Old
06-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Big Phil

I liked Red Fischer on the Hot Stove too. He's still kicking around covering the Habs isn't he? But the odd time he'd be on the Hot Stove. I think he wore the same glasses from the 1960s that he did in the 2000s. But the thing I liked is that he spoke his mind and you could tell the other members of the Hot Stove thought he was senile but at the same time thought: "Well, it's Red Fischer, he's been around a long time, he's probably right."

Old
06-18-2014, 07:09 PM
thom

Big Phil-Red Fisher retired in 2012 and yes the guy knew the game like him or not

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 07:14 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
^^^ Yes they were always interesting. Kelly Hrudey quite likeable.... dating myself here, but I well remember the very Funereal Ward Cornell. Were talkin Black & White pre-color TV. Ward looked like a sort of jovial Police Detective or something. Seriously old~school even then. The Murray Westgate Commercials. Your local neighborhood Esso Dealer.... Dave Hodge as well coming later & those kitchy 70's light blue HNIC blazers. Hodge getting fired.... Ron McLean from small town Alberta.... Cherry, lots of memorable moments.....
"When your tires are humming and your motor purrs… There's something you're aware of, your cars been taken care of at ….Look to Imperial for the best"

Couldn't resist, even though my memory fails me

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Couldn't resist, even though my memory fails me
.... (0:20sec) www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpI1oec-2zk Wishing Motorists in BC the Best!

Old
06-18-2014, 11:21 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Big Phil-Red Fisher retired in 2012 and yes the guy knew the game like him or not
I thought he might have. I hadn't heard from him in a while.

Old
06-19-2014, 06:24 PM
leafsfan5

Sportsnet sucks, unless its gets better with the change we are screwed

leafsfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:15 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Lucky to live in Buffalo and get HNIC...not sure many other American cities watched it as much as we do.

Was definitely sad when the theme changed...

ClearedButNotOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Prince of Pop

Hockey Night In Canada is the main reason I love CBC, but since Rogers took over production to HNIC, CBC not only lost the production, they'll lose hockey in the next few years, losing rights to broadcast sports, losing employees re. sports and the federal government leeching $$$ off CBC in taxes. For about a month I have ill feelings to Rogers taking Hockey Night In Canada and I never got any cravings for hockey recently because I hate changes. I love Hockey Night In Canada on CBC since 20 years and now I'm losing faith in CBC.

Since after a few years when CBC won't play Hockey Night In Canada anymore, then CBC will be dead to me.

Prince of Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Pop View Post
Since after a few years when CBC won't play Hockey Night In Canada anymore, then CBC will be dead to me.
End of an era for sure, and bittersweet.

Old
09-15-2014, 07:57 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Pop View Post
There is a good chance it will be dead, period.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Prince of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
There is a good chance it will be dead, period.
I agree on that, CBC will lose major audience that way after losing HNIC. After that hockey won't be the same for me ever again.

Prince of Pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Big Phil

Totally agree with this here. CBC used to be the top dog when it came to hockey. You never had plans Saturday night during hockey season. It was all about the theme song, the mood it put you in, Ron and Don, Bob Cole, etc. Now we get George (I am not going to try to spell his last name) who is more feminine than most of our wives. Good grief.

Sorry, I have the NHL package now, once Don Cherry is gone from CBC I will have no attachment to that network anymore. I can watch any game, any night I want. CBC used to have things that kept you going there, nostalgia, the best announcers, the best analysts, etc. Now, with George in place who are they targeting? 16 year old girls?

Old
09-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ howd'ya really feel Phil?