HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why is it always up and down like this?

Old
03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Pruch025

vCash: 500
Why is it always up and down like this?

Why can't it just be a case of being a win or just a loss?

Fans just tend to be all up and down so much. From my POV, the team has looked gassed for the past 3 games. They need the next 3 days off. It took a lot to get back into the playoff hunt.

But here is the problem with the up and down fans.

1) The team can never just be beaten. It's always "we gave it to them". Or "we blew it" as if the other team is just there to be enhancement talent. They are playing to win. This 2nd period for example will be looked at as an implosion. What about that the Habs are hungry and needed the win more. It was similar to that one 5 goal period the Rangers had recently.

2) It's always all or nothing.Rangers win, some look forward too far ahead. They lose, it's armageddon.

3) Always gotta blame someone when they lose. It's the refs, no Renney is a bad coach, no Jagr isn't a real captain, no it's that we have no D men, no even better let's boo Malik, etc etc etc.

A season is very LONG. There will be up and downs. It's that simple. You can't expect to win every game. You will have slumps. Heck the Devils were just in a slump. You will have streaks as well.

It's worse when you go to games. Rangers could be up 5-1 and the fans will be booing if the Rangers aren't producing better on the power play. Look at the Canadiens fans tonight. They were up 5-2. Rangers got one back on a bad goal. They started to cheer louder for their team. Rangers got within one and it was even louder. I would give anything for NY fans to be like this and support their team through thick and thin. The Garden would have been booing or silent at that point, I would bet my life on it.

Man just sit back and enjoy the ride! Rangers are in the thick of a playoff race. Games will be tight. Every team they are playing is trying to get in or stay in, other than Philly and Pitt now.

I fully expect Philly to come out strong because of Orr beating up their guy recently. If the Rangers don't win, it's not armageddon. Though I would like them to win, of course.

Let's Go Rangers.

Pruch025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Balej20*

And yet another thread like this...Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you man, but everytime this team loses and fans show their passion, 8 threads like this pop up.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Pruch025

I wouldn't call it passion. Passion is what the fans at the game showed me tonight. Your team is winning. You give up some bad goals and it's close again, you cheer LOUDER to motivate your team. Not boo them so they get more nervous. To me, THAT is passion.

Old
03-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruch025 View Post
I wouldn't call it passion. Passion is what the fans at the game showed me tonight. Your team is winning. You give up some bad goals and it's close again, you cheer LOUDER to motivate your team. Not boo them so they get more nervous. To me, THAT is passion.
I thought we were talking about people on th message boards?

Old
03-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Pruch025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
I thought we were talking about people on th message boards?
I meant in general. MB fans do go to games as well obviously. I mean I have been to like 10 this year I think.

Old
03-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
I meant in general. MB fans do go to games as well obviously. I mean I have been to like 10 this year I think.
Well I do agree about fans at the garden. no point in booing your team constantly whenever they do one little thing wrong. i find that extremely annoying. Don't get me wrong, over the past 10 years, there have been many times when this team has deserved to be booed right out of the arena...but at this moment right now, the team deserves to be completely supported at home games.

As far as the message board, and the GDT in particular, people use it many times to vent their frustrations. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I don't see why it should bother other people as much as it does.

Old
03-27-2007, 10:16 PM
ThirdEye

I think we just have the most emotional fans. When we win it's pretty darn awesome around here, but when we lose (especially as poorly as today) you can expect a lot of disappointed fans. Sometimes it's just better to stay off the site until the next game so you don't go completely crazy reading some of the ramblings.

There's a reason we're battling for the playoffs right now, we just aren't as good as the top teams right now. With that entails loses like today, so I'm not too surprised. That said, the playoffs are a different story. I still think if we get in healthy we will do at least some damage. You can hold me to that

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think we just have the most emotional fans. When we win it's pretty darn awesome around here, but when we lose (especially as poorly as today) you can expect a lot of disappointed fans. Sometimes it's just better to stay off the site until the next game so you don't go completely crazy reading some of the ramblings.

There's a reason we're battling for the playoffs right now, we just aren't as good as the top teams right now. With that entails loses like today, so I'm not too surprised. That said, the playoffs are a different story. I still think if we get in healthy we will do at least some damage. You can hold me to that
I shall. But this team has proven to be better when they are UNhealthy. So I don't know.

Old
03-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Pruch025

Keep in mind we have had injuries to Shanny, who is still clealy not back in form, Hossa, and like half the defense.

Not to mention Weekes.

So I am proud of this team.

The best team doesn't win the Cup. The hottest team at the right time does. This is why Ottawa seems to be so dominant every year then lose in the playoffs.

In terms of fans at the Garden, they always find one or two guys to boo. This year it's Malik. The guy is leading the team in +/-. Yes he is slow but he can't help that. His passing is still very good and that helps.

I think it's fans being emotional but I also think fans here are way too impatient.

One thing I hate about going to home games at the Garden is the 34234234234 Potvin sucks chants that have to go on. At least do it just once or save it for Isles games. Sometimes I feel some people go just to do it. Rangers could just give up a huge goal and the game is on the line and someone starts to whistle. I feel like hitting him with a box of crackerjacks lol.

Old
03-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Keep in mind we have had injuries to Shanny, who is still clealy not back in form, Hossa, and like half the defense.

Not to mention Weekes.

So I am proud of this team.

The best team doesn't win the Cup. The hottest team at the right time does. This is why Ottawa seems to be so dominant every year then lose in the playoffs.

In terms of fans at the Garden, they always find one or two guys to boo. This year it's Malik. The guy is leading the team in +/-. Yes he is slow but he can't help that. His passing is still very good and that helps.

I think it's fans being emotional but I also think fans here are way too impatient.

One thing I hate about going to home games at the Garden is the 34234234234 Potvin sucks chants that have to go on. At least do it just once or save it for Isles games. Sometimes I feel some people go just to do it. Rangers could just give up a huge goal and the game is on the line and someone starts to whistle. I feel like hitting him with a box of crackerjacks lol.
I think the team played a much better team game when all these guys were out of the lineup. As more and more of them return to the lineup, the team is losing that spark and energy it had with the youth in the lineup.

As for the Garden fans, we could get into a whole discussion on them. So many things bother me about what goes on there now adays.

Old
03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
I love the Potvin Sucks chants, but I agree that they do get out of hand sometimes. Although I think it's actually the worst at Isles games, when there can be 3 or 4 in a 2 minute span.

I think a lot of it is just people wanting to show off that they can do the whistle or just wanting to be able to go home and tell their friends "Hey, I started a Potvin Sucks chant at the game tonight."

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
It's worse when you go to games. Rangers could be up 5-1 and the fans will be booing if the Rangers aren't producing better on the power play. Look at the Canadiens fans tonight. They were up 5-2. Rangers got one back on a bad goal. They started to cheer louder for their team. Rangers got within one and it was even louder. I would give anything for NY fans to be like this and support their team through thick and thin. The Garden would have been booing or silent at that point, I would bet my life on it.
That is a very good point.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Trade#5

Trade Jagr while he is still worth something. That guy is a cancer on the team. 2 years left until he retires and then what? trade trade trade

Trade#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 11:58 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
"Why is the sky blue?.....Why is water wet?....Why Judas rat to the Romans while Jesus slept?"

Tonight was a bring us all back down to earth game. Did anyone think they'd win 6 straight games to end the season? Halek played his rear off, and Hank was yanked with the bounces going the Habs' way. You don't ever want to lose a game where you were up 2-0, especially with the way they played in the first period. Three games in Four nights, everyone is doing it right now, but ya know what? They had brain cramps for 10 minutes. Keep the faith everyone. Take a deep breath and hope for a strong rebound game on Saturday.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 02:38 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think we just have the most emotional fans.
Defenitly, I agree 100%.

And loosing only for pretty much a decade now haven't helped.

Its not out of spite or bad temper. Everyone got so much emotions attached to the team, that once it doesn't go well, things get out of hand.

Though, I agree with the thread starter, its not always a good thing, things gets out of hand at times. Would MTL come back if the crowed put on a booing-concert for the entire 2nd?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:39 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Why can't it just be a case of being a win or just a loss?

Fans just tend to be all up and down so much. From my POV, the team has looked gassed for the past 3 games. They need the next 3 days off. It took a lot to get back into the playoff hunt.

But here is the problem with the up and down fans.

1) The team can never just be beaten. It's always "we gave it to them". Or "we blew it" as if the other team is just there to be enhancement talent. They are playing to win. This 2nd period for example will be looked at as an implosion. What about that the Habs are hungry and needed the win more. It was similar to that one 5 goal period the Rangers had recently.

2) It's always all or nothing.Rangers win, some look forward too far ahead. They lose, it's armageddon.

3) Always gotta blame someone when they lose. It's the refs, no Renney is a bad coach, no Jagr isn't a real captain, no it's that we have no D men, no even better let's boo Malik, etc etc etc.

A season is very LONG. There will be up and downs. It's that simple. You can't expect to win every game. You will have slumps. Heck the Devils were just in a slump. You will have streaks as well.

Man just sit back and enjoy the ride! Rangers are in the thick of a playoff race. Games will be tight. Every team they are playing is trying to get in or stay in, other than Philly and Pitt now.

I fully expect Philly to come out strong because of Orr beating up their guy recently. If the Rangers don't win, it's not armageddon. Though I would like them to win, of course.

Let's Go Rangers.
It is just that many fans live and die with each game. I think many are younger fans and have not matured and therefore are very high after every win and down after every loss. Experience tells you to relax, take a breath, the sun will rise tomorrow and you turn the page and move on. It is when you dwell on the last game, whether a player or fan, when you start to play mind games with yourself and if your a player you've already lost the next game. I myself was once like many of the fans on here. Quick with the ax and quicker with the criticism of players and coaching staffs. As I gained experienced and understood the game and all that that entails i became less of a knee jerk reaction fan and just a plain jerk.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 05:44 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
I think the team played a much better team game when all these guys were out of the lineup. As more and more of them return to the lineup, the team is losing that spark and energy it had with the youth in the lineup.

As for the Garden fans, we could get into a whole discussion on them. So many things bother me about what goes on there now adays.
We played a much simpler game. Last night we weathered the storm, scored a last minute goal at the end of the 1st and I think the mind set of the team, collectively, was that OK we just stuck it to them and did not expect Montreal to come out again with a vengence and we were collectively put on on heels and could not recover. Do in large part by some really stupid plays, blind passes up the middle, being pressured in our end and finally working it out only to have one of our own players bring in back in to our own zone and lose it. Brain farts. Montreal gave us a dose of our own game and beat us at it.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow. I feel much better. This forum is helping me a lot.

I think I may be able to cancel my therapy sessions.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Thats what she said.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
This happens at least in part I feel because of 2 marketing theories, BIRGing and CORFing. BIRGing stands for Basking In Reflected Glory. It's a way to identify how connected fans are to a certain team. Fans that use phrases like "we" and "us" when talking about their favorite team are BIRGing. They are more likely to do so after a win or while the team is playing very well. Diehard fans will do this no matter the outcome.

CORFing stands for Cutting Off Relfected Failure and is characterized by fans attempting to distance themselves from a team that has just lost or is on a losing streak. They do so using language such as "they lost" when speaking about their favorite team.

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
BigE

Quote:
And yet another thread like this...Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you man, but everytime this team loses and fans show their passion, 8 threads like this pop up.
Show their passion or whine uncontrollably?

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:58 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Last I checked, the Rangers are 10-2-3 in their last 15 games. Anyone want to throw that back?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
I'm going to give a pass to all of the naysayers after last night's game. It was the nature in which they lost that has everyone going insane. You expect a Rangers loss to be 3-2, with a typical bad power play, lack of energy, and too many penalties. Tonight was different. It was a meltdown. Yes, it was only for a period, but it very much reminded me of the two disaster periods against Toronto in December that the team was unable to recover from. The games after that Toronto defeat were close, but they lost 7 straight and had a complete lack of confidence. Some of the recent wins against Pittsburgh and NYI, and even the wins against Philly and Boston that were made to look easy - they were largely the result of a ton of confidence, IMO. It reminds me of the end of last year, thinking "all you have to do is win one or two games!", when they were unable to get it done.

I say let them ***** for this one.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 11:03 AM
NYRSinceBirth

To answer the original poster: Nature of the beast? Ranger fans are INHERENTLY flip/flop types. They are very proud of their team and are quick to show them in a different light. That said, when things look good, they look real god. But, on the other end of the spectrum, when things look grim, they look real bad. How many times do you hear booing then cheering come from the same fans, to the same players every game at the Garden? Ranger fans expect a lot, an are a rough crowd who are quick to flip. Definitely a tough town to play for, but when you do good, they treat you the best.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
alkurtz

I think that this is becoming the nature of the beast with all NY teams. We've gotten into the habit of "taking the temperature" of a team after each win (we're way up) or each defeat (we're way down).
Perhaps it's just a relection of our society today (which is neither good nor bad but just the way it is). Perhaps we can blame sports radio (which needs to have something to talk about every day and magnifies every game to game 7 status), our increasingly short attention spans, or our need for instant gratification.
Game # 134 for the Mets or #88 for the Yankees (numbers picked at random) become do or die. Only in football, with its abbreviated schedule of 16 games, seems to have weekly do or die games but even there, results are distorted.
I bet we would find this phenomena in other cities also.
Hey, we were not going to win every game from here to the end and run the table. What strikes me most about last nights game is how hockey games can turn on a dime. If Orr had not taken the penalty (and the HBO line was having a strong, energetic shift at the time and looked to be again setting the tone for the period) or the Rangers had killed off the penalty (which they almost did, I believe Montreal scored with 17 seconds to go) would the game have been totally different? Probably. Probably a Ranger win.
So, lighten up. Now if we somehow lose to Philly on Saturday, then we have reason to be upset and see the sky falling.

alkurtz is online now   Reply With Quote