HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 3)

Old
06-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Pacifist Goon

vCash: 500
Was feeling and skating much, much better at pick up today and was on the pace, picking up the passes on my stick a lot better too. Looking forward to game proper later.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Ozz

My lower-tier team got completely blasted in our opening round of playoffs. From top to bottom we were total garbage; mentally we were done in the first after our goalie let in 3 softies. Our 3 guy good players, me included, couldn't get anything going. I did at least put in one of our 2 goals, but overall a horrible effort.

Good news is tomorrow one of my other teams begins their playoffs and we stand a better chance. Three possible games tomorrow from opening round to the finals.

My higher-tier team doesn't begin for a couple weeks as we play at another rink, we stand the best chance out of all of mine.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:26 PM
SacredPetra

Tried a slap shot today for the first time, and it was actually passable (unlike my wrist and snap shots which just flutter lamely down the ice). I don't know when I'll get the chance to use a slap shot, but maybe if I get the feel for the weight transfer and stick flex from them I'll eventually figure out a wrist shot.

SacredPetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:24 AM
damack

Today I played my first game ever. I'll be 49 this year, everyone else on the team was at least 15 years younger. I didn't die, didn't suck as bad as I thought and got a few compliments after the game. I'm stoked, and it's only going to get better.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Atta boy damack.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
quackquackquack

Been skating (roller) a lot more recently. Finally getting my legs back under me after not skating for 13 years. Had my first game last Saturday and had an assist (guy tipped in my shot.) Can't wait for game #2 tomorrow!!

quackquackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Pacifist Goon

Had a rebound or deflection come to me about ten or twelve feet out in front. Absolutely buried it top shelf with a snap while the goalie was sprawled low, first time I've scored off that shot, almost always a wrister; and it went right where I aimed it. Damned goal dislodged as it was going in and they called it a no goal just as I started my fist pump celebration. Would have liked to see the slo mo on that one.

I wasn't too dirty because I was so stoked with the execution and to nail a reflex shot like that. Hung on to win 3-2.

Old
06-16-2014, 07:39 AM
buddhaknows

Absolutely stunk it up last night. My skating was way off what it normally is. Scored a goal on a 2 on 1 but it was on a practically wide open net after we beat the dman. Gave up a goal on a missed defensive play while on center. My head was in the game but my skating wasn't. Will sharpen up the skates sometime this week and see if that helps.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:25 AM
quackquackquack

Had a hat trick in my second game of the season Saturday. Teammates were finding me in the right spots. I can't really skate or stick handle but i can rocket a wrist shot from anywhere and that definitely helps when you got guys who can skate and pass.

quackquackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I am generally the guy on our team that will move back to D if we are short defensemen and I struggle with playing too conservative until we are down late. Last night I put an emphasis on playing my offensive game all the way through and although I got caught a few more times than I would like, I easily had my most productive offensive game as a defenseman. Probably helped (or didn't help) we ran 3 D the whole game.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I switched to playing defense last game.

My backward skating is pretty poor, but I know exactly what I have to do and when I need to pinch and move up in the offensive/neutral zone.

Maybe I should do it more often. Just need to stop pushing up too deep, which is an issue I have at times after playing forward for too long.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 10:59 AM
damack

I played my second game ever last night. It's pretty damn fun other than feeling a bit lost for the most part. I try to skate hard and check hard, damn it's pretty tiring. Tried a hard fore check last night, unfortunately it all happened way faster than I thought and I skated right into the guy, it was like hitting a brick wall. I feel bad about it today, even though no one got hurt and I took the worst of it, I don't want to be "that guy". Hopefully it gets better.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 11:59 AM
JZCislesHockey

Had a 6:15 AM game..played well. Had about 8 really good chances but didn't score.

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 10:03 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
Had a 6:15 AM game..played well. Had about 8 really good chances but didn't score.
615am!!! Where?

wingnutks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 12:41 PM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
615am!!! Where?
Superior Ice Rink (Kings Park, NY)

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 01:20 PM
BrummieRed

. . . didn't go to my weekly rec game practice. The weather's good and I just felt like a day off. I busted my ass at practice Friday anyway and felt like resting a few niggling muscles/joints.

Skating tomorrow tho

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Pacifist Goon

Monday off, as worked Saturday, so planning on a few hours at the rink after the housewives finish their skating lessons and have cleared out.

Have had a light skating schedule this last week, no game and just the one scrimmage, so looking forward to it, because that's when I usually make the most improvement or progress, after a bit of a layup.

Old
06-22-2014, 09:44 PM
MattGTI

Skated the entire 3rd period of a game tonight.
First time I've ever done that(or had to). We had 7 skaters dressed for tonight's game. Just one of those nights that nobody could make it, and we couldn't get anyone.

We lost 6-2.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 10:17 AM
Malarowski

I am getting prepared to return to the ice after 10 weeks of broken clavicle recovery thanks to the ER misdiagnosing the need for surgery. Super pumped though and just in time for playoffs.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:06 PM
BrummieRed

. . . went to public skate. Spent nearly all my time on outside edges and weak side hockey stops. The latter is getting better the more I do the former. Of course, edge control is the key, and you can know that but not *really* know it til you actually feel the benefit.

Old
06-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Maccas

Stepping back on the ice properly again tonight after a long layoff with a shoulder ligament injury. Did a spot of skating on public sessions while I was off and did a little bit of coaching for our learn to play sessions but I think tonight is going to be a bit of a shock to the system!
Buzzing to be back though!

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Ozz

Last night, my team started our summer season with a couple new guys. Close game until I broke out on the PK, then we ended up winning 7-2. I had 3g2a.

Two goals were shorties. I play the northern-most guy pressuring their D to move the puck out, receive breakout passes and begin our rush, etc.

First: the D pinched, I picked up the puck and only had to beat the last guy back. Beat the goalie far side, tucked right behind the post.

Second: not 15 seconds later on the next play, I caught a pass right up the middle and again only had to beat the same defenseman. I did, and noticed the goalie squaring up better, so I clipped it five-hole from within the circle. Same exact play, I just put it in different areas.

Third: We developed a 3 on 2, I took the drop pass and shot through traffic. Goalie didn't appear to see it whatsoever. I shoot RH and went on that side next to his glove. I was just trying to put it anywhere on that side, got lucky that he didn't cover that side in his butterfly.

Both assists were from me setting up on the boards and putting the puck cross-ice to my guys, who were left wide open to let 'er rip.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2014, 05:21 PM
BrummieRed

Went to the rink in the other city (Bradford, W Yorks) where they let me on with my stick if there's no-one else on the ice. Half the ice was melting with 50% coned off. I did loads of crossover practice with my stick using a couple of circles. Really slow ice and stops were odd. It felt slightly slushy.

Old
06-26-2014, 07:05 PM
blackout44

Went to my first ever stick and puck session. I failed. I had a blast. lol

I really need to learn how to dribble the puck and keep it moving forward, haha. What a concept....

blackout44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 08:50 PM
19Backstrom
Bring it on Isles :)

Yesterday, played 4 games of ball hockey against a team made of recreational players with a few competitive players. A game is won by the first team to score 5 goals. We won 3.
I scored 6 goals in total, and dangled everyone in every possible way. Obviously, I can't progress at all against players who are that far below my skill level.

I wish I could play in a competitive league again.

19Backstrom is offline   Reply With Quote