HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson signs with LA

Old
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
caniac247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I don't necessarily care if he busts, I just want people to start realizing that Gleason isn't useless and is a pretty solid defenseman. If he has a Glen Wesley type career, I'll be happy.
Agreed. For some odd reason i keep going over to the prospect board and their so pissing me off. I'm sick of everyone over there saying that Gleason is worthless and won't amount to anything. But yet, Gleason is our top pairing with Wallin and goes up against the opposing teams top lines, but yeah, he's worth nothing.

I for one am very excited to have Gleason on this team. I've liked him from day 1 and i'm glad to see other caniacs embracing this kid. He's gonna be a top defenseman for this team and for many years on this team.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Honestly though, what kind of nickname is JMFJ. You could do that for any player in the league. "MF" is not a nickname. How about we call Tim Gleason "TMFG". cuz he'z so rockzors!

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 04:24 PM
semin4captain

I'd just like to note that for the month of March, Gleason has been our #1D in terms of average ice time and Vasicek is our third-leading scorer (despite playing just over 13 minutes a game).

Meanwhile, Turnover is patrolling the blueline for the Manchester Monarchs at the bargain-bin price of $2.5M this year and next.

Amazing that all of this goes unmentioned. No, it's just JMFJ > TMFG, end of story.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 06:03 PM
bleedgreen

i dont want him to bust, i like watching him play. i just get tired of half formed opinions, general sweeping statements, and the overall inability to see the bigger picture sometimes. everyone jumps on a bandwagon and they just wont stop and if you try to even disagree your an idiot.

gleason isnt chump change, and he has proven he is a great fit here, where many of us suspected fairly early on that jj was never a sure thing for playing here. i do thin jr jumped the gun a bit, but i also think if there was a better deal out there he wouldve done it. i think at th time this is the best we could do, and im not sure we wouldve gotten much more if we had waited.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
snakepliskin

yyyyyaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn-gleason is fine w/me

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 08:20 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i dont want him to bust, i like watching him play. i just get tired of half formed opinions, general sweeping statements, and the overall inability to see the bigger picture sometimes. everyone jumps on a bandwagon and they just wont stop and if you try to even disagree your an idiot.

gleason isnt chump change, and he has proven he is a great fit here, where many of us suspected fairly early on that jj was never a sure thing for playing here. i do thin jr jumped the gun a bit, but i also think if there was a better deal out there he wouldve done it. i think at th time this is the best we could do, and im not sure we wouldve gotten much more if we had waited.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Gleason is starting to prove himself as our #1 defenseman at the NHL level, Johnson is going to be just starting to prove himself. I have NO problem admiting that LA got the better player in the deal if Johnson turns out the way he likely will. The problem arises in that people aren't willing to admit that Gleason is exceeding a lot of expectations, that Belanger became Vasicek, who has rather nicely filled a gaping hole we had up front, and we're in a much better financial and cap situation heading into next year while keeping our core intact by dumping Tverdovskys albatros of a contract.

Thornton for Sturm, Stuart and Primeau (or should I say Thornton and a conditional pick for Sturm, Ference and Kobasew) this is not.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 09:59 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
LA fan. Have argued this before but I agree with the consent that to this point you guys have won the deal and it really is not that bad. I think a lot of King's fans and in general are going to be disappointed with him in his first 1-2 years. I have no doubt he'll turn out great but I do have to agree with you guys that he is slightly over hyped yet I guess one can argue he deserves it. I am glad you guys are enjoying Gleason though, used to be considered future captain while here. Personally am just excited to see Jack Johnson, think both teams fans are overdoing this though (Kings being over optimistic, while Canes being over pessimistic).

AnThGrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2007, 11:30 PM
kingsfan25

It seems like a lot of the flack the Canes are taking on the main board stems from the general assumption (the assumption that exists outside of Canes and Kings fans) that JJ was traded because he wasn't going to sign for another two years...which was quite incorrect.

There was always, seemingly, a very good possibility that he was going to sign in the NHL after his second year of college.

As you all know, the real reason he was traded was to bring in immediate help on the blueline and at the bottom-six position. JR wanted to maintain his team's Cup contender status and with JJ unwilling to come over and key injuries mounting, he made the decision; how wise a decision this was can, of course, be debated, but, IMO, people bashing the Canes have no ground for basing their arguments on the fact that Johnson just signed a pro contract.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 12:08 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Even if Johnson does go on to achieve great things in the NHL, we'll always have one thing over his head. It's Shiny and weighs about 32 lbs. Unless and until he gets one of those, not signing with Carolina was the biggest mistake he's made considering that he didn't lead Michigan to anything but a resounding "meh".
To play Devil's advocate, there's no guarantee Carolina would have won the Cup with Johnson, had he decided to turn pro last year for the playoffs. If Johnson had turned pro, would he have been getting a regular shift in the playoffs or would he have been used sparingly like Tverdovsky was? Messing with chemistry on your blue line to put in a 19 year old rookie defenseman in his first NHL games would have been a risky move. Johnson might have a ton of potential but he hasn't played in the NHL yet and the NHL playoffs are going to be very different than NCAA level competition. Who knows what would have happened, but taking out one of the Canes d-men to play Johnson could have messed up chemistry and consistency, Johnson could have made screw ups himself (which I'm sure he's going to do as he adjusts to the NHL) and Carolina could have ended up losing instead of winning it all.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:27 AM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt View Post
LA fan. Have argued this before but I agree with the consent that to this point you guys have won the deal and it really is not that bad. I think a lot of King's fans and in general are going to be disappointed with him in his first 1-2 years. I have no doubt he'll turn out great but I do have to agree with you guys that he is slightly over hyped yet I guess one can argue he deserves it. I am glad you guys are enjoying Gleason though, used to be considered future captain while here. Personally am just excited to see Jack Johnson, think both teams fans are overdoing this though (Kings being over optimistic, while Canes being over pessimistic).
Just wanted to agree with this comment. When I first saw him play, and with the passion he brings, I knew that kid could some day be a captian on a NHL team. Still miss him, and I hope you guys treat him well for years to come.

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Buckleys

Gleason is a good defender, is also only 4 years older and very underrated. Could you have/Should you have gotten more from LA? Yes. But Gleason should be a top pairing defensemen in my mind. I'm just upset the sens didnt keep him around long enough to trade him to you for JJ.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Lowe in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
What is also ironic is that everybody says that Hurricanes fans should feel bad when Jack is the one stuck playing for the Kings instead of actually playing for a contender. That is the head scratcher of the year. With or without Jack Johnson, this team is built to compete for a long time. Tim Gleason's potential may not equal Jack Johnson's potential, but I predict at least a season or two before Johnson gets his overall game to the point where Gleason's is.

Kings will be a contender next year!

They have a great group of young talent (Frolov, Visnovsky, O'Sullivan, Kopitar) and a bunch of good draft picks this summer. And I wouldn't call tied for 8th; "contention".

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post

They have a great group of young talent (Frolov, Visnovsky, O'Sullivan, Kopitar) and a bunch of good draft picks this summer. And I wouldn't call tied for 8th; "contention".
Would you call 4 points out with a game in hand contention? Carolina controls their own destiny for the 3rd seed.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 05:36 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And I wouldn't call tied for 8th; "contention".
We agree.

Signed,

The 2006 Edmonton Oilers

03-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

We still didn't get enough for him... This was a bad deal to me... I think we could have gotten more for him around the trade deadline or even before the season started... But questioning this trade is very unpopular around here...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
We still didn't get enough for him... This was a bad deal to me... I think we could have gotten more for him around the trade deadline or even before the season started... But questioning this trade is very unpopular around here...
trade deadline huh? would you guys been even close to the 8th seed by then WITHOUT gleason? while you guys had turnoverdovsky? get real, the most you would have gotten was another 1st or 1sts for him, he wasn't going to bring in THAT much when we ALSO gave a (imo) GREAT defensive dman who is young and has somewhat offensive potentiol. and i also agree with the person that said plugging in JJ in the playoffs was a bad idea.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2007, 08:00 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyros View Post
trade deadline huh? would you guys been even close to the 8th seed by then WITHOUT gleason? while you guys had turnoverdovsky? get real, the most you would have gotten was another 1st or 1sts for him, he wasn't going to bring in THAT much when we ALSO gave a (imo) GREAT defensive dman who is young and has somewhat offensive potentiol. and i also agree with the person that said plugging in JJ in the playoffs was a bad idea.
Gleason missed some games too.... He's been decent, nothing great though...

Last edited by caniacgirl12: 03-28-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old
03-27-2007, 08:48 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Uh, he's been a reason why the Canes are gonna be about 20-30 goals against better than last year. If it wasn't for their defense this season they are 13th or worse.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:41 AM
bleedgreen

Quote:

kids rarely equal success. i dont think the kings will be contenders next, maybe the year after that....but you are way overrating the affect a few talented kids will make. unless kopitar plays net too, you guys are likely bottom dwellers for at least another year.

as for the 8th place comment, as the others have said....maybe you missed last years playoffs. the canes are just as good as that oilers team was going into the playoffs.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:44 AM
DiehardKingsFan

Quote:

We're not gonna be contenders for another year or 2. Our goaltending is still pretty weak and guys like O'Sully, Tukonen, Brownie, and JMFJ need some more time to develop

DiehardKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Bandit
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
as for the 8th place comment, as the others have said....maybe you missed last years playoffs. the canes are just as good as that oilers team was going into the playoffs.
While maybe that is true, the Oilers still lost. I'm too lazy to look this up, but who was the last 8th seed that actually WON the cup? Has it ever happened?

I don't think there's a lot of people doubting that the 'canes got a pretty good young defenseman in Gleason, but the whole point of the trade in the first place was to get help on defense for this season to try and stay in the hunt for the cup. If the 'canes miss the playoffs (which at this point is still a very real possibility), I would say that the trade was really a bad one for the 'canes because they basically gave up 7 years minimum of Jack Johnson for one year of not making the playoffs.

Now if Johnson turns out to be the next Brian Berard, then it wasn't a big loss, but it seems like the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:36 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
While maybe that is true, the Oilers still lost. I'm too lazy to look this up, but who was the last 8th seed that actually WON the cup? Has it ever happened?

I don't think there's a lot of people doubting that the 'canes got a pretty good young defenseman in Gleason, but the whole point of the trade in the first place was to get help on defense for this season to try and stay in the hunt for the cup. If the 'canes miss the playoffs (which at this point is still a very real possibility), I would say that the trade was really a bad one for the 'canes because they basically gave up 7 years minimum of Jack Johnson for one year of not making the playoffs.

Now if Johnson turns out to be the next Brian Berard, then it wasn't a big loss, but it seems like the chances of that happening are pretty slim.
Great post... I think the trade is bad already, if we miss the playoffs it becomes atrocious in my eyes.

Old
03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Guys, please keep it clean. "JMFJ" is a stupid nickname but there is no need to stoop down that low.

03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacgirl12 View Post
"JMFJ" is a stupid nickname but there is no need to stoop down that low.
There's even a King fan or two who'll agree with that. I've kinda given up on it. Lowest common denominator stuff. Now that the blood's in the water the frenzy won't die for a while.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 01:57 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
And if we waited till the trade deadline we wouldn't even be fighting for our playoff lives. We would be where Philly and Washington is. Some people forget why the trade was made in the first place. Guess I need to remind people:

Hedican was questionable for opening night and was still injured.
Kaberle was going to be out for the majority of the season.
Wallin was not 100%.
Tanabe was still coming off his knee injury and was not 100%.
Bab's was questioned on whether or not he was fully ready to take on the load.
Hutch is more of a PP specialist.

We needed a defenseman NOW (in October) not 4 months from now. JR had his eyes on Gleason since he was drafted. Had an opportunity to grab Gleason as well as unload Turnoverdovsky and he went with it.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote