HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup 2014, Brazil

Old
06-21-2014, 12:53 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Argentina very lucky to beat Iran. Messi's goal in extra time propels them to a win. They refused to get in the box and fight for position the entire game and kept trying to score from the outside the whole game. Only a great shot from the best player in the world saves them from embarrassment.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Somnii

vCash: 500
Being an Argentina fan, that game didn't fill me with confidence in their ability to advance far in this tournament :V

Somnii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnii View Post
Being an Argentina fan, that game didn't fill me with confidence in their ability to advance far in this tournament :V
Wouldn't worry about it too much. They're in a really weak group, know it, and are essentially just using it as tune ups as judged from the play. Argentina will be in the mix.

As much as this game was tied throughout Argentina verged on having 70% of the play through much of the game. A number virtually unheard of. For large parts of this game Iran can be accused of not even an attempt to play football. Large amounts of time they had everybody deep just defending and knocking the ball back.

tbh I don't think Iran even defended particularly well.

That said Argentina is getting the results and the W's and that finish by Messi was pure goal all along. That Iran was giving up that quality of chances is telling. Messi nearly finished it on a free kick 15 mins prior. Another sharp shot from an Argentine sailed wide as the ball, slightly mi****, pulled wide instead of in. That shot was a lot closer to going in then the commentators gave credit and you could see the fear on every Iranian defender that dodged bullet after bullet as the game progressed.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Argentina very lucky to beat Iran. Messi's goal in extra time propels them to a win. They refused to get in the box and fight for position the entire game and kept trying to score from the outside the whole game. Only a great shot from the best player in the world saves them from embarrassment.
meh Its like watching the LA Kings in a close game and results somewhat inevitable. At worst this was a tie for Argentina and with them advancing. They didn't HAVE to have the result. They got it. Even in injury time I expected they would get it as the Iranians were virtually melting over the last 20mins.

The goal had an inevitable feeling to it. Messi didn't even have to kick it hard by his standards. That was a pretty easy finish with him with him being totally unmarked and having time just outside of the box. This is tempting fate anytime with Messi. Beauty curl he put on the ball though. Artistry.

Old
06-21-2014, 01:24 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Wouldn't worry about it too much. They're in a really weak group, know it, and are essentially just using it as tune ups as judged from the play. Argentina will be in the mix.

As much as this game was tied throughout Argentina verged on having 70% of the play through much of the game. A number virtually unheard of. For large parts of this game Iran can be accused of not even an attempt to play football. Large amounts of time they had everybody deep just defending and knocking the ball back.

tbh I don't think Iran even defended particularly well.

That said Argentina is getting the results and the W's and that finish by Messi was pure goal all along. That Iran was giving up that quality of chances is telling. Messi nearly finished it on a free kick 15 mins prior. Another sharp shot from an Argentine sailed wide as the ball, slightly mi****, pulled wide instead of in. That shot was a lot closer to going in then the commentators gave credit and you could see the fear on every Iranian defender that dodged bullet after bullet as the game progressed.
I'd have to think this was a very nervous game for Argentina fans. Sure they had possession but as the game went on Iran started getting good chances too. Probably 3 or 4 really good ones in the last 15 minutes. They ended up getting the 3 points and everybody can just forget about this game now and move on but that kind of effort against a good team and they lose. They didn't want to get their hands dirty today and work for a goal. I think they showed their weakness.

Old
06-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'd have to think this was a very nervous game for Argentina fans. Sure they had possession but as the game went on Iran started getting good chances too. Probably 3 or 4 really good ones in the last 15 minutes. They ended up getting the 3 points and everybody can just forget about this game now and move on but that kind of effort against a good team and they lose. They didn't want to get their hands dirty today and work for a goal. I think they showed their weakness.
If this is a knockout game Argentina plays better. If they don't get a result in their first match and need this one they play better. Its not necessary for them to either peak or show their best game right now. They can score in an instant from far out and are a side to be reckoned with. I have a lot of respect for this Argentinian side and think we'll see better.

Old
06-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Always knew this was going to be a very tough match for Germany. Having to contain a very explosive Ghanaian side and respect that causes Germany to play with less swagger than they normally would. Germany committing less resources forward.

This combined with worst conditions, +30 and high humidity more suiting for Ghana.

All that said if either Podolski or Klose are in instead of Goatze this is 1 or 2 German goals already. German service has been fine. Finish has been awful. Goatze has flubbed easily 6 huge scoring chances already at this WC. Can Joachim stop playing favorites and put the lineup out there to get a goal?

Thanks.

Old
06-21-2014, 03:23 PM
rboomercat90

2-1 for Ghana now. This truly is the group of death. Portugal is really in big trouble here.

Old
06-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
2-1 for Ghana now. This truly is the group of death. Portugal is really in big trouble here.
EVERYTEAM was in trouble in this brutal group of death from the start. What I've been saying all along. Every team in this group is very good. Ghana in my book are one of the hardest teams to play against. Dangerous, physical, decent marking.

That said this result is totally on Joachim Loew (It isn't a loss but its as good as one)

For inexplicable reasons replaces Boatang and inserts the untried (at this level) Mustafi. Mustafi promptly rewards this bit of lunacy by being solely responsible for the key tying Ghana goal on a brutal play caught watching and not even challenging for the ball against one of Ghana's lethal forces. It took mere minutes for Mustafi to unravel entirely and he proceeded to play brutal the rest of the way with Germany at times barely surviving his brutal presence on the pitch. That Mustafi isn't ready for this level was imminently apparent.

As I stated earlier Loew waits until 20mins left to insert Klose and Schweinsteiger and Klose scores 1minute into his coming on the pitch, Germany looks much different, and dangerous, and run out of time and don't get the result.

Now Germany in the dire position everybody else in the group is in and without even losing a game.

Thanks to group of death and Loew.

I feel particularly accursed for having another Lo_ _ ruining things...

Old
06-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Wat.
They blew like 4 free headers...

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 04:15 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
For inexplicable reasons replaces Boatang and inserts the untried (at this level) Mustafi. Mustafi promptly rewards this bit of lunacy by being solely responsible for the key tying Ghana goal on a brutal play caught watching and not even challenging for the ball against one of Ghana's lethal forces. It took mere minutes for Mustafi to unravel entirely and he proceeded to play brutal the rest of the way with Germany at times barely surviving his brutal presence on the pitch. That Mustafi isn't ready for this level was imminently apparent.
Just heard Löws post game interview Boatang had a injury he could barely stand.

TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 04:21 PM
TheBrew

Germany gifted Ghana those two goals WTF was Lahm doing with that pass? oh well Germany has a history of messing up the second game of the group stage.

Old
06-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew View Post
Thanks, I didn't note the injury or how it happened.

I was going to immediately state any other replacement for Loew would be better before noting that 4 of the D he decided to bring along for this ride are 22 and under..

What other coach, with one of the deepest soccer nations in the world to draw on would set themselves up like that. If this as bad as what Mustafi looks like I don't even want to see the 4 D that haven't dressed yet.

Old
06-21-2014, 05:14 PM
TheBrew

Quote:
Thanks, I didn't note the injury or how it happened.

I was going to immediately state any other replacement for Loew would be better before noting that 4 of the D he decided to bring along for this ride are 22 and under..

What other coach, with one of the deepest soccer nations in the world to draw on would set themselves up like that. If this as bad as what Mustafi looks like I don't even want to see the 4 D that haven't dressed yet.
I guess he had bad Muscle cramping.Großkreutz is a option for the D who is 25 and Lahm could always go back there if needed. I'm not sure what Löw was thinking.

Old
06-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Philly85
Moody'

lol @ Germany

This Serbia/Nigeria game is quite entertaining.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
lol @ Germany

This Serbia/Nigeria game is quite entertaining.
Of course, should be 1-1 or even 1-0 Bosnia. So that kinda sucks.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Germany is going nowhere fast if they play like they did today much longer. Not a good showing at all.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Kyle McMahon

Stupid work, looks like I missed a great game from Germany and Ghana. Great result for the Ghanians, keeps their tournament alive. They need a favour from Portugal against the US tomorrow.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Surprising to say its getting harder to justify the 13 Euro slots in the tourney. Didn't expect to be saying that.
I'd have to disagree with that, actually. Europe always leaves a couple pretty good teams at home. That really cannot be said for any of the other federations, who usually provide the few doormats that end up in the tournament. Teams that just missed out like Denmark and Sweden would likely be having their way against the likes of Honduras, Cameroon, Iran, etc.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 09:13 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
EVERYTEAM was in trouble in this brutal group of death from the start. What I've been saying all along. Every team in this group is very good. Ghana in my book are one of the hardest teams to play against. Dangerous, physical, decent marking.

That said this result is totally on Joachim Loew (It isn't a loss but its as good as one)

As I stated earlier Loew waits until 20mins left to insert Klose and Schweinsteiger and Klose scores 1minute into his coming on the pitch, Germany looks much different, and dangerous, and run out of time and don't get the result.

Now Germany in the dire position everybody else in the group is in and without even losing a game.

Thanks to group of death and Loew.

I feel particularly accursed for having another Lo_ _ ruining things...

you were complaining earlier that he started goetze over kloze, but they both ended up with one goal and they both ended up screwing up prime scoring chances... hell, i would argue that klose's goal wasn't as good, and his miss most MUCH worse than goetze's was... starting goetze was, and is going forward, the right move.... especially in a really hot environment, and with klose's age

i agree that removing boateng was BEYOND stupid though, he was playing fine i thought, and his replacement was directly responsible for the first ghana goal... i think the bigger problem though was not starting schweinsteiger ... i know he isn't apparently 100% fit, but he is still one of the best midfielder's they have... i would have dropped lahm back to his normal position to replace the (obviously still somewhat hurt) hummels, and let bastian play midfield

regardless, ghana is a tough squad and germany played one of the worst world cup finals games i've ever seen them play.... just terrible defence and absolutely no finish whatsoever (outside of goetze's very nice header)... i expect them to be much better against the US

i guess germany fans are now cheering for a tie in the portugal/US game tomorrow? am i understanding the group standings correctly? that way with a tie against the US germany takes first place correct?

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2014, 09:16 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
wow, could germany have any worse luck this year when it comes to injuries?!? crazy... thats like 5 starters that they have injured right now, and 3 others that are playing hurt.... 75% of the team, lol

Old
06-21-2014, 09:20 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
I guess he had bad Muscle cramping.Großkreutz is a option for the D who is 25 and Lahm could always go back there if needed. I'm not sure what Löw was thinking.
schweinsteiger should be playing midfield next game and lahm should be dropping back to his usual defending position.... germany's defence has been bad all tournament so far, they need lahm's calming presence back there for the US game

hopefully boateng's cramping won't stop him from playing in the US game, because then they could have both him and lahm on defence, and insert schweinsteiger at midfield, and have a much more experienced lineup top to bottom... hopefully loew sees this rather obvious option as well

Old
06-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Germany is going nowhere fast if they play like they did today much longer. Not a good showing at all.
30 degrees Celsius in the shade and a jungle like humidity from all reports. With no water breaks allowed.

This was about the worst conditions of any match thus far and that obviously suited Ghana. Germany, being mostly a Northern European country doesn't see this kind of weather ever. Ozil who normally runs countless miles in a match and has fantastic condition was literally dead on his feet at the 20min mark in this game. Even the Ghana players were mostly spent and exhausted by the time Klose and Schweinsteiger hit the pitch. Surprised there wasn't more cramping breaks than there was. Only 3 substititutions allowed and in a game under these conditions you could use half a dozen.

A different way of looking at it is how many clubs would have had the composure, savvy, and bench to even get a tie in this game after the spectacular turn of fate conceding two goals quickly. most teams would have been fatally rattled at that point. Germany actually recovered and took the game to Ghana much of the rest of the way.

Lets be clear here too Ghana is solid opposition and a team I feared more than about 20 other teams in this tourney as far as a German fan is concerned. unfortunately 3 of the clubs that Germany could have trouble with, out of the 10 or so in the tournament are all in Germanys group. Ghana scored more goals in qualifying than any other club. Ghana's pace was giving Germany fits but few other clubs can even keep up to the lighting passing transition the Germans are capable of on a normal day. But with Ozil and others not able to gallop today the whole German system was compromised.

Trouble is if the Us match is played under similar conditions that isn't going to help much either.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-21-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old
06-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
you were complaining earlier that he started goetze over kloze, but they both ended up with one goal and they both ended up screwing up prime scoring chances... hell, i would argue that klose's goal wasn't as good, and his miss most MUCH worse than goetze's was... starting goetze was, and is going forward, the right move.... especially in a really hot environment, and with klose's age
You gotta be kidding me. Goetze has been embarrassing in this tournament. Half the German fans in attendance were laughing at his header goal that came right off his head, luckily hit his knee, and flew right into the back of the net. Without hitting his knee the ball ends up bouncing straight down and right back up off the turf. Goetze finish in this tourney has been brutal. Several wide open chances on beautiful feeds that should have been automatic. Absolutely no way he would have finished the goal Klose did.
Lets not forget Goetze played the whole damn game and Klose in 20mins accomplished as much or more. Also that Goetze was getting excellent service before the Germans tired under the blazing heat and humidity. By the time Klose was out there Ozil was looking like he needed an ambulance. Lets not forget Podolski didn't even play in this game. Germans have all kinds of options beyond Goetze who just looks frozen any time the ball is in vicinity. I'm not saying start Klose in the game but I would have brought him out earlier.

Quote:
i agree that removing boateng was BEYOND stupid though, he was playing fine i thought, and his replacement was directly responsible for the first ghana goal... i think the bigger problem though was not starting schweinsteiger ... i know he isn't apparently 100% fit, but he is still one of the best midfielder's they have... i would have dropped lahm back to his normal position to replace the (obviously still somewhat hurt) hummels, and let bastian play midfield
I would have dropped Lahm back on D where his pace isn't as much a factor. Whats he doing moving up anyway? lol he had a fantastic scoring chance, man on man against the goalie and he backheels a pass to nobody. Single worst offensive botch of the game. He should have scored on the play, Ghana scored two goals from identical positions.

Quote:
regardless, ghana is a tough squad and germany played one of the worst world cup finals games i've ever seen them play.... just terrible defence and absolutely no finish whatsoever (outside of goetze's very nice header)... i expect them to be much better against the US
I've seen Germany play a lot worse and as mentioned typically the middle group game Germany is lackluster. What needs to be remembered is this Ghana side scores a ton of goals and is dangerous. About as dangerous as Germany while usually conceding more goals than Germany.

Quote:
i guess germany fans are now cheering for a tie in the portugal/US game tomorrow? am i understanding the group standings correctly? that way with a tie against the US germany takes first place correct?
Ties always help but theres no way Germany wants to be in a situation tied with the US late. Just too much danger and if you concede late then your done. Groups of death so little margin for any error.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-21-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old
06-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Stupid work, looks like I missed a great game from Germany and Ghana. Great result for the Ghanians, keeps their tournament alive. They need a favour from Portugal against the US tomorrow.
The level of play was high and both clubs had nothing left by the end for sure. True battle of attrition. Like I say I love this Ghana side and have every respect for them. Worthy foe.