HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The same old problem

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Habs all the way

vCash: 500
The same old problem

Even though the habs were playing above 500 prior to this 3 game losing streak, there were major problems that the coaching probably knew about. This losing streak, especially with the loss of Souray, only makes these problems more evident.

As I see it, there are two major problems which many people have posted already but forget to post when the team is doing well. In particular, the habs are not very physical in their own zone and are not physical in the opposing zone. I'm pretty sure most of the other teams in the league know this already, and that is why most opposing teams will play a strong forechecking game against the habs. It is probably the reason Bob Gainey picked up Steve Begin and Darren Langdon in the waiver draft, and the reason Quintal is still a regular defenceman even though he makes many mistakes and his slow skating is a liability.

These weaknesses have always been there and they will continue to be there until there is a change in the players. So don’t jump off the bandwagon or begin to question the coaching staff- the team you see now is the same team many of you were cheering for when they were on the winning streak. I think the rest of the league has just adapted to the habs.

Old
02-15-2004, 04:12 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs all the way
Even though the habs were playing above 500 prior to this 3 game losing streak, there were major problems that the coaching probably knew about. This losing streak, especially with the loss of Souray, only makes these problems more evident.

As I see it, there are two major problems which many people have posted already but forget to post when the team is doing well. In particular, the habs are not very physical in their own zone and are not physical in the opposing zone. I'm pretty sure most of the other teams in the league know this already, and that is why most opposing teams will play a strong forechecking game against the habs. It is probably the reason Bob Gainey picked up Steve Begin and Darren Langdon in the waiver draft, and the reason Quintal is still a regular defenceman even though he makes many mistakes and his slow skating is a liability.

These weaknesses have always been there and they will continue to be there until there is a change in the players. So donít jump off the bandwagon or begin to question the coaching staff- the team you see now is the same team many of you were cheering for when they were on the winning streak. I think the rest of the league has just adapted to the habs.
You raise very good points but the physicalness is a problem caused by the main problem imo. The problem that they have is that they just arent always willing to skate or give a solid effort. We have to two extremes where they decide to skate and can almost beat the flyers and beat the blues and then they have the games like they did against the lightning about a month ago. The playing physical is a result of skating and putting in the effort.

Old
02-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Habs all the way

You're right LPHabsFan. Effort goes a long way. For some players like Begin and Koivu, this effort and physical play are natural in the way they play. When watching guys like Brisebois, Perreault, Dagenais, and Markov, you can see that they really put alot of concentration to play physically, and when they become tired (like at game 60-70 in an 82 game season or in the third period of a tough game) no matter how hard they try their physical play slips a few notches.

Don't get me wrong, Brisebois, Dagenais, Perreault, and Markov have played well considering their limitations, and they can be an asset to any team; however, for this edition of the habs, they need to step up more especially with the loss of Souray. Unfortunately, I am not optimistic that they are capable to do so.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
goalchenyuk

i don't know if some of you noticed that about every teams are having stretch of winning and stretch of loosing games.It 's like that since 2-3 years now; i don't know how to explain it but i know it's like that.

also , i am sure that the fact there are a lot of young guns in the team explain also that once the other team is leading , they than are playing nervously.It is a normal reaction from inexperimented players.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:59 PM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i don't know if some of you noticed that about every teams are having stretch of winning and stretch of loosing games.It 's like that since 2-3 years now; i don't know how to explain it but i know it's like that.

also , i am sure that the fact there are a lot of young guns in the team explain also that once the other team is leading , they than are playing nervously.It is a normal reaction from inexperimented players.
I understand about having a losing streak and possibly a slump but when a slump happens, they usually play well and just don't get the bounces they otherwise might get but this is just a simple case of not trying for a full 60 minutes. And before anyone calls me a bandwagon jumperer because they've lost 3 games in a row, its not true because Ive made this comment even when they pull a game out of their ass.

Old
02-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Habs all the way

mark0v, I'm not sure what the point of your reply is. Of course it's normal for teams to go on streaks.

The point of my original post is that I don't like many of the posts where there are trade proposals, coach firing speculations, or player bashing,and I'm only trying to say that aside from losses instead of wins, the habs, their strengths, and their weaknesses remain unchanged in their losing streak compared to their winning streak.

The habs have done well so far, but don't expect this year's edition of the habs to be Stanley Cup contenders because they aren't and never have been. I think fans have to be realistic in their expectations and their assessments.

Closed Thread