HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Cup 2014, Brazil

Old
06-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
30 degrees Celsius in the shade and a jungle like humidity from all reports. With no water breaks allowed.

This was about the worst conditions of any match thus far and that obviously suited Ghana. Germany, being mostly a Northern European country doesn't see this kind of weather ever. Ozil who normally runs countless miles in a match and has fantastic condition was literally dead on his feet at the 20min mark in this game. Even the Ghana players were mostly spent and exhausted by the time Klose and Schweinsteiger hit the pitch. Surprised there wasn't more cramping breaks than there was. Only 3 substititutions allowed and in a game under these conditions you could use half a dozen.

A different way of looking at it is how many clubs would have had the composure, savvy, and bench to even get a tie in this game after the spectacular turn of fate conceding two goals quickly. most teams would have been fatally rattled at that point. Germany actually recovered and took the game to Ghana much of the rest of the way.

Lets be clear here too Ghana is solid opposition and a team I feared more than about 20 other teams in this tourney as far as a German fan is concerned. unfortunately 3 of the clubs that Germany could have trouble with, out of the 10 or so in the tournament are all in Germanys group. Ghana scored more goals in qualifying than any other club. Ghana's pace was giving Germany fits but few other clubs can even keep up to the lighting passing transition the Germans are capable of on a normal day. But with Ozil and others not able to gallop today the whole German system was compromised.

Trouble is if the Us match is played under similar conditions that isn't going to help much either.
Lol!! The weather is now an excuse?? Holy crap.

Germany were sub par most the time today, brutal for stretches at a time.

I just can't see how anybody watching today's match would see it as anything less than Germany sucking balls. Any other team in Germany's spot today and you would be crucifying them endlessly.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 12:16 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post

I just can't see how anybody watching today's match would see it as anything less than Germany sucking balls. Any other team in Germany's spot today and you would be crucifying them endlessly.
Ever play soccer in 30C with humidity so high you can hardly breath even sitting down?

Get back to me if you have.

Several clubs in this tourney are intimidated with the potential weather conditions. To a team every club in this tourney HATES the thought of playing any games in Manaus due to the jungle like conditions and humidity. This game wasn't in Manaus but the heat and humidity was sweltering from all reports and mentioned several times. The commentators were quite taken aback that no water breaks were allowed in this match.

German teams are rarely guilty of being lazy and yet German players had a hell of a time running up and down the pitch in these conditions. Theres countless commentators reporting on how absolutely dead Ozil looked today. he's one of of the most fit players in soccer and usually has incredible pace. I've seen few players run more in a match. These conditions knocked the life out of him.

If you have nothing to add don't bother.

Yeah "Germany sucks balls", sure boss..maybe go report that on the soccer thread and see what response you get.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-22-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 12:20 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Absolutely no way he would have finished the goal Klose did.

I'm not saying start Klose in the game but I would have brought him out earlier.

I would have dropped Lahm back on D where his pace isn't as much a factor. Whats he doing moving up anyway? lol he had a fantastic scoring chance, man on man against the goalie and he backheels a pass to nobody. Single worst offensive botch of the game. He should have scored on the play, Ghana scored two goals from identical positions.

I've seen Germany play a lot worse and as mentioned typically the middle group game Germany is lackluster. What needs to be remembered is this Ghana side scores a ton of goals and is dangerous. About as dangerous as Germany while usually conceding more goals than Germany.

Ties always help but theres no way Germany wants to be in a situation tied with the US late. Just too much danger and if you concede late then your done. Groups of death so little margin for any error.
literally, literally, not figuratively, not the common misuse of the word, literally, *I* could have scored the goal that klose did.... so i'm pretty sure that goetze could have as well, lol.... klose's gaff near the end was worse than any goetze had made all game as well... klose had nothing but time and space, inside the box, and misses well wide because he rushed his shot... inexcusable

i love klose, i really do, but starting goetze is the right call... he is younger so can therefore handle the horrid conditions better, has MUCH better pace, and scored the same amount of goals as klose in qualifying... bringing in klose for the last 30 minutes of the game is the perfect usage of the player right now, although we seem to agree on this point

i agree about lahm, as i mentioned... why he is playing in the midfield in the first place is beyond me....germany has many, many option for the midfield, while having very few on the back end.... schweinsteiger in the middle, lahm at the back, this isn't rocket science, lol

i figured it out... if portgual/US tie tomorrow, then germany is in unless there is a MASSIVE blowout in the ghana/portugal game AND germany loses to the states... there would have to be a 5 or 6 goal difference in those combined results for the winner of the ghana/portgual game to make it through over germany.... that +4 goal differential might be very important for germany

basically, if the US/portugal game ends up in a tie, it will take something truly remarkable for germany not to advance through to knock-out

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Ever play soccer in 30C with humidity so high you can hardly breath even sitting down?

Several clubs in this tourney are intimidated with the potential weather conditions. To a team every club in this tourney HATES the thought of playing any games in Manaus due to the jungle like conditions and humidity. This game wasn't in Manaus but the heat and humidity was sweltering from all reports and mentioned several times. The commentators were quite taken aback that no water breaks were allowed in this match.

Yeah Germany sucks balls, sure boss..
So you're not following that most teams are playing in these conditions as has been talked about at length throughout the week, and yet suddenly it's a factor only when your team is playing.

Guess you haven't heard of the multi million dollar training camp facility that Germany uses during this tournament, leaps and bounds better than anything used by any other team.

If I have nothing to add? Your team sucked today, and everyone on the planet except you knows it.

"But the weather suddenly played a role for the first time in the tournament!!!..." Hilarious.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 06-22-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old
06-22-2014, 12:25 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
I'd never count an Italy out. Italy won in 82 after looking weak and fairly incapable of scoring in group stage.

I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever in a stat that Euro teams have never won in South America.

Oh, as a longtime Azzurri fan, I never count Italy out, though I still think they're in a transitional state right now and too reliant on the whim of Balotelli for success.

With respect to the point about Euro teams not winning in South America, it was actually more a comment on the climate and travel I think. Spain was the first European team to win a World Cup off the Continent (South Africa), and they won basically every game 1-0.

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 12:31 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
So you're not following that most teams are playing in these conditions as has been talked bout at length throughout the seek, and yet suddenly it's a factor only when your team is playing.

Guess you haven't heard of the multi million dollar training camp facility that Germany uses during this tournament, leaps and bounds better than anything used by any other team.

If I have nothing to add? Your team sucked today, and everyone on the planet except you knows it.

"But the weather suddenly played a role for the first time in the tournament!!!..." Hilarious.
Is there a point to what you are obviously doing right now?

Because yeah, its more than obvious. Bye now, carry on. Have a good night.

I won't bother responding further to this nonsense.

Also ftr I've been critical of no contending teams losses. Not sure where you're getting that from. If anything I've been respectful when clubs have lost under difficult situations and hard opposition. nobody needs to be hearing their "club sucks balls" after a tough result.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-22-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old
06-22-2014, 12:41 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Oh, as a longtime Azzurri fan, I never count Italy out, though I still think they're in a transitional state right now and too reliant on the whim of Balotelli for success.

With respect to the point about Euro teams not winning in South America, it was actually more a comment on the climate and travel I think. Spain was the first European team to win a World Cup off the Continent (South Africa), and they won basically every game 1-0.
Yep. Countries at higher latitudes are definitely going to have some more problems with this. Particularly the humidity. But Euro countries like Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal should be better adapted to the conditions.

Old
06-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Is there a point to what you are obviously doing right now?

Because yeah, its more than obvious. Bye now, carry on. Have a good night.

I won't bother responding further to this nonsense.

Also ftr I've been critical of no contending teams losses. Not sure where you're getting that from. If anything I've been respectful when clubs have lost under difficult situations and hard opposition. nobody needs to be hearing their "club sucks balls" after a tough result.
Like the way you **** on England? Or have called France's domination nothing due to their horrible opposition? Or how Switzerland were absolute fodder? How Belgium would have lost their game to anyone else in this tournament that you consider "decent"?

That's the kind of respect you're showing across the board?

And I said Germany sucked balls today pretty clearly, not that the team sucks in general, and now you of all people are "hey, nobody deserves to hear bad about their team after a tough result." Seriously?

Old
06-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Like the way you **** on England? Or have called France's domination nothing due to their horrible opposition? Or how Switzerland were absolute fodder? How Belgium would have lost their game to anyone else in this tournament that you consider "decent"?

That's the kind of respect you're showing across the board?

And I said Germany sucked balls today pretty clearly, not that the team sucks in general, and now you of all people are "hey, nobody deserves to hear bad about their team after a tough result." Seriously?
What negative comments about England. I have general respect for English football. I've had a kinder impression than most of the posters on the board re; England. I actually found and expressed it being unfortunate how England has the worst luck. Nothing seeming to go right for them. Post up one comment I made saying France was nothing.

I've been critical of two clubs in this tourney, Switzerland, and Belgium, but only with the Swiss comment occurring after a bad result. I'm not aware of one person on this board being a Swiss fan that would be at all remotely impacted by any comment. Belgium comments were made in lieu of a Belgium win.

You on the other hand..clear what you're doing right now.

But since you're obviously enjoying this theres no point feeding it is there? I just responded to clarify. I won't if all you want is to continue to bait.

Old
06-22-2014, 12:58 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
What negative comments about England. I have general respect for English football. I've had a kinder impression than most of the posters on the board re; England. I actually found and expressed it being unfortunate how England has the worst luck. Nothing seeming to go right for them. Post up one comment I made saying France was nothing.

I've been critical of two clubs in this tourney, Switzerland, and Belgium, but only with the Swiss comment occurring after a bad result. I'm not aware of one person on this board being a Swiss fan that would be at all remotely impacted by any comment. Belgium comments were made in lieu of a Belgium win.

You on the other hand..clear what you're doing right now.

But since you're obviously enjoying this theres no point feeding it is there? I just responded to clarify. I won't if all you want is to continue to bait.
Clear on what I'm doing???

Germany played poorly today. This is the consensus of the entire football world.

You're saying I'm not allowed to say it because it is disrespectful to you. You being the most critical poster on this board for miles.

And I have the issue?

England: Backend issues, shoddy goaltending, Suarez doesn't score those goals against one of the teams you like.

France: Ridiculously easy draw, Swiss defence could be knocked down with a stiff wind, barley even made it to the World Cup and look how easy it is for them.

Let not forgetful your claim that Iran wasn't that good today defensively against Argentina...another baffling read on what was to even a casual fan the best defensive display of the tournament so far.

And games you had to criticize as not up to your standards when some else makes a comment about them bein enjoyable.

But heaven forbid anyone should say something bad about Germany to hurt your feelings.

Last edited by Ol' Jase: 06-22-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old
06-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Bangers

If Germany is reliant on Ozil taking the reins and willing them to the cup, they're doomed. Amazing player, but one of the biggest chokers in football (see Real Madrid and Arsenal).

Replacement, as far as Goetze vs. Klose, I don't know if Klose can play more than 60 minutes in the heat and humidity at his age. Goetze wasn't good, but I think Germany is better served having Klose come off the bench as a Solskjaer-type substitute striker than starting him at the beginning of the match. Goetze is also (generally) better at getting other players involved - he's more of a false 9 than a true 9, so if Germany wants to hold the ball (which isn't a bad idea in that kind of heat), he's a better option.

Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 09:20 AM
OiledUp

Quote:

German teams are rarely guilty of being lazy and yet German players had a hell of a time running up and down the pitch in these conditions. Theres countless commentators reporting on how absolutely dead Ozil looked today. he's one of of the most fit players in soccer and usually has incredible pace. I've seen few players run more in a match. These conditions knocked the life out of him.

Yeah "Germany sucks balls", sure boss..maybe go report that on the soccer thread and see what response you get.

The heat and humidity clearly has an effect on the players but to say the ghanans are better prepared to face these conditions is very questionable. Living in warm climate doesn't really change your bodys ability to withstand heat. Besides most Ghana players play in europe and has for a long time.
Ghana played with more intensity and never Germany time to get their game going. Ghana also have a lot of offensive weapons which meant the germans had to be more careful going forward than they'd like which affected their game. I'm sure Germany will find their groove alongside France the best balanced squad in the tournament.

On another note I'm still fuming over Bosnia getting screwed over yesterday. What the actual ****! Fifa can go **** their corrupt butts. Putting refs with no business being there in situations where they're set up to fail. I almost feel sry for them but when they only add 3 mins of extra time when nigerian players were laying down all over the place in the second half one starts questioning their honesty. I'm not really that tinfoilhatty but yesterday was so bloody frustrating to watch.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
The heat and humidity clearly has an effect on the players but to say the ghanans are better prepared to face these conditions is very questionable.
Sorry but I would have to agree to disagree here. Physiological acclimitization to environment is real, the human body does physiologically adapt through time. Its why Everest Climbing parties often have extended stays at elevation, or at base camp prior to summitting or have trained extensively in high altitude conditions. Similarly the human body responds physiologically to extreme heat or cold making adjustments that change depending on the climate and season. For instance significant changes in blood occur to anybody living in Edmonton. Anybody that ever goes outside that is. If you're unfamiliar this offers some back ground;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1359352/

Quote:
Living in warm climate doesn't really change your bodys ability to withstand heat. Besides most Ghana players play in europe and has for a long time.
Ghana played with more intensity and never Germany time to get their game going. Ghana also have a lot of offensive weapons which meant the germans had to be more careful going forward than they'd like which affected their game. I'm sure Germany will find their groove alongside France the best balanced squad in the tournament
.By no means am I trying to detract from Ghana's game. They played wonderful, they are more than worthy opponents, I hold them in the highest esteem, I've been clear about all these points. tbh Ghana scared me in 2010 and they do now. They're a team that matchup well with Germany and can beat Germany. I've had this impression for some time.

Quote:
On another note I'm still fuming over Bosnia getting screwed over yesterday. What the actual ****! Fifa can go **** their corrupt butts. Putting refs with no business being there in situations where they're set up to fail. I almost feel sry for them but when they only add 3 mins of extra time when nigerian players were laying down all over the place in the second half one starts questioning their honesty. I'm not really that tinfoilhatty but yesterday was so bloody frustrating to watch.
Yeah, there often seems to be no connection between amount of injury time and what has transpired on the pitch in terms of time delays. The concept of added time has appeared to be essentially random. Further more the 3 mins or 4mins or 5mins is also at the whim of when the ref feels like blowing the whistle. So for 4mins added on has become anything from 3:20 to 4:40 time added on.

Old
06-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Clear on what I'm doing???

Germany played poorly today. This is the consensus of the entire football world.

You're saying I'm not allowed to say it because it is disrespectful to you. You being the most critical poster on this board for miles.

And I have the issue?

England: Backend issues, shoddy goaltending, Suarez doesn't score those goals against one of the teams you like.

France: Ridiculously easy draw, Swiss defence could be knocked down with a stiff wind, barley even made it to the World Cup and look how easy it is for them.

Let not forgetful your claim that Iran wasn't that good today defensively against Argentina...another baffling read on what was to even a casual fan the best defensive display of the tournament so far.

And games you had to criticize as not up to your standards when some else makes a comment about them bein enjoyable.

But heaven forbid anyone should say something bad about Germany to hurt your feelings.
Not at all. You can post whatever you want of course and I support that. My preference is it rises above "Germany sucks balls"

Don't confuse either critic, and critical. I'm a known critic of accepted wisdoms, pretty much in my DNA. Thus I'm going to sniff out an overrated team like the Swiss right away and ask questions. But to stimulate and engage in conversation and discussion and learn more about what I might be missing out on. Obviously theres several more knowledgeable posters than myself engaging in this thread.

Conversely I've been nothing but positive and respectful about Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy, Ghana, Portugal, US, Mexico, England, Concacaf nations, Germany, and have several times acknowledged the contributions of other posters and said where I could reevaluate my position. You can tar me with a brush I guess if that's what you want.

For whatever reason the majority of your posts on this board over the last couple years now consist of you deriding the posting of others here on hf. With your formulaic post being "I only started reading this thread to see _ _ _ _ but then was dismayed what others wrote" Anybody can check. This is become your repetitive meme.

Again for whatever reason this is now what you've become on this board. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't heed your criticism too much given that's the majority of what you engage in here anyway. Of course you won't heed mine either.

So I was fine with moving on. lets please move on so the rest of the board doesn't have to be reading this exchange. PM me if you must if you require some clarification. I'm here to discuss the beautiful game of football. So lets move on sir.

Old
06-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers View Post
If Germany is reliant on Ozil taking the reins and willing them to the cup, they're doomed. Amazing player, but one of the biggest chokers in football (see Real Madrid and Arsenal).

Replacement, as far as Goetze vs. Klose, I don't know if Klose can play more than 60 minutes in the heat and humidity at his age. Goetze wasn't good, but I think Germany is better served having Klose come off the bench as a Solskjaer-type substitute striker than starting him at the beginning of the match. Goetze is also (generally) better at getting other players involved - he's more of a false 9 than a true 9, so if Germany wants to hold the ball (which isn't a bad idea in that kind of heat), he's a better option.
From reading around the criticism of Ozil has become commonplace and it appears he could be a much different footballer than when last seen on this stage. I'm not as familiar as others with all of the players play between WC's. So interesting comments. It saddens me if this is what Ozil has become. I formerly saw an enthusiastic player that would imaginatively see the field well an make astute passes and be resilient and not unbowed. I wonder if he's a bit burned out at a young age. He used to offer up really good service. Didn't see much of that yesterday. There is a clip however at the 20min mark where Ozil looks just off. Pained expression, redfaced, struggling. I was quite surprised and concerned when I saw it. I thought immediately, damn, he's already laboring and done for the day.

Totally agree that Klose can't play huge minutes. Obviously Goetze had pedigree, and is a valid scorer. But just as with Mario Gomez (who similarly frustrated me) I can spot whether a player is, or isn't showing goal scoring confidence at this level. For some reason some of the best goal scorers of alltime rarely clicked in WC play. Its that difference between a player that seems frozen with the ball at his feet vs one that can deliver under the pressure. With Podolski, Klose, Muller, we know they can.

Also I agree Goetze is better as a support player but frankly without Muller, Klose, Podolski who else on Germany is scoring goals. Goetze can't support offense much when the Klosers aren't on the pitch

Finally, not sure what it is, but Neurer never fills me with much confidence. The guys play scares me. I keep waiting for a wane in concentration, a misplay, for him to be frozen on the spot in a critical moment. To this end his brutal misplay of a routine kick yesterday didn't surprise me and very nearly resulted in a cataclysmic turn of events. Didn't much like his play on either of the goals either. A tendency to make himself small instead of jump out and challenge. Thought he was caught flatfooted on both goals. Don't get me wrong, these were excellently taken and finished balls but Kahn or say Ochoa look to make those saves. Neuer just scares me back there. Don't know that he's enough for Germany to win it all.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-22-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old
06-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

It's not an excuse, it's a factor. It's taken into consideration when predicting games and gambling odds.

You ever try playing soccer for 90 minutes stretches at full game rate in the south american summer? I highly doubt it.

Maybe pay attention to how much the players are cramping. But they must all be complete ******* right?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It's not an excuse, it's a factor. It's taken into consideration when predicting games and gambling odds.

You ever try playing soccer for 90 minutes stretches at full game rate in the south american summer? I highly doubt it.

Maybe pay attention to how much the players are cramping. But they must all be complete ******* right?
Yep, combined with the lack of water breaks its a concern. Why limit hydration of players during such an arduous sport played in these conditions. Hydration being a primary way to help sustain through these conditions.

jebus I'll excuse the players from both clubs being allowed a 1 to 2 minute break to replenish while it looks like they're spent out there. I'm sure as a fan I'd prioritize health and safety over continuous play.

Germany and Ghana for instance had made all substitutions they had yesterday. No break, no mercy, just soldier on and not try to make it too obvious you're struggling beause you're staying on the pitch no matter what.

Thankfully this wasn't a knock out game with added time...whats that going to look like in such a highly competitive match.

ps heres a World Cup betting site positing on whats being stated;

http://www.worldcupfreebet.net/the-w...uropean-teams/

heres some more, from actual WC coaches and teams.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/263852381.html

more informed piece on effects of this weather and some testing;

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-manaus-brazil

Last edited by Replacement: 06-22-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old
06-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

"Where have the Belgium defenders gone!" 1 minute into the game.

Might be a high scoring affair again today!

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

This is the De bruyner I was hoping to see last game.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:23 AM
OiledUp

Quote:
Sorry but I would have to agree to disagree here. Physiological acclimitization to environment is real, the human body does physiologically adapt through time. Its why Everest Climbing parties often have extended stays at elevation, or at base camp prior to summitting or have trained extensively in high altitude conditions. Similarly the human body responds physiologically to extreme heat or cold making adjustments that change depending on the climate and season. For instance significant changes in blood occur to anybody living in Edmonton. Anybody that ever goes outside that is. If you're unfamiliar this offers some back ground;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1359352/

.By no means am I trying to detract from Ghana's game. They played wonderful, they are more than worthy opponents, I hold them in the highest esteem, I've been clear about all these points. tbh Ghana scared me in 2010 and they do now. They're a team that matchup well with Germany and can beat Germany. I've had this impression for some time.

Yeah, there often seems to be no connection between amount of injury time and what has transpired on the pitch in terms of time delays. The concept of added time has appeared to be essentially random. Further more the 3 mins or 4mins or 5mins is also at the whim of when the ref feels like blowing the whistle. So for 4mins added on has become anything from 3:20 to 4:40 time added on.
Yeah, obviously the body adapts depending on environment, one of our strengths as an organism. However when talking heat/cold it's mainly about your current environment ergo growing up in Ghana has little effect in comparison to other factors considering most players play in europe. In any way it is what it is, sometimes it rains sometimes it's 30 degrees.

They need to do something about reffing, these things happen every WC. I don't care where a ref is from but if they want refs from New Zealand and what not they need to get them into the top games on a consistent basis or they won't be able to keep up. If you have the best players you need the best refs quite simple really.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:33 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yep, combined with the lack of water breaks its a concern. Why limit hydration of players during such an arduous sport played in these conditions. Hydration being a primary way to help sustain through these conditions.

jebus I'll excuse the players from both clubs being allowed a 1 to 2 minute break to replenish while it looks like they're spent out there. I'm sure as a fan I'd prioritize health and safety over continuous play.

Germany and Ghana for instance had made all substitutions they had yesterday. No break, no mercy, just soldier on and not try to make it too obvious you're struggling beause you're staying on the pitch no matter what.

Thankfully this wasn't a knock out game with added time...whats that going to look like in such a highly competitive match.

ps heres a World Cup betting site positing on whats being stated;

http://www.worldcupfreebet.net/the-w...uropean-teams/

heres some more, from actual WC coaches and teams.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/263852381.html

more informed piece on effects of this weather and some testing;

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-manaus-brazil
Forgive me if this is a really stupid question but are there any rules preventing players from running past the sidelines or there own goal and grabbing a bottle of water while the play is going on? I know there aren't any stoppages but there are occasional lulls in the action.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

This is the matched everyone hoped for.

Just fantastic action. Belgium looking very strong.

Old
06-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 50
Quote:
From reading around the criticism of Ozil has become commonplace and it appears he could be a much different footballer than when last seen on this stage. I'm not as familiar as others with all of the players play between WC's. So interesting comments. It saddens me if this is what Ozil has become. I formerly saw an enthusiastic player that would imaginatively see the field well an make astute passes and be resilient and not unbowed. I wonder if he's a bit burned out at a young age. He used to offer up really good service. Didn't see much of that yesterday. There is a clip however at the 20min mark where Ozil looks just off. Pained expression, redfaced, struggling. I was quite surprised and concerned when I saw it. I thought immediately, damn, he's already laboring and done for the day.

Totally agree that Klose can't play huge minutes. Obviously Goetze had pedigree, and is a valid scorer. But just as with Mario Gomez (who similarly frustrated me) I can spot whether a player is, or isn't showing goal scoring confidence at this level. For some reason some of the best goal scorers of alltime rarely clicked in WC play. Its that difference between a player that seems frozen with the ball at his feet vs one that can deliver under the pressure. With Podolski, Klose, Muller, we know they can.

Also I agree Goetze is better as a support player but frankly without Muller, Klose, Podolski who else on Germany is scoring goals. Goetze can't support offense much when the Klosers aren't on the pitch

Finally, not sure what it is, but Neurer never fills me with much confidence. The guys play scares me. I keep waiting for a wane in concentration, a misplay, for him to be frozen on the spot in a critical moment. To this end his brutal misplay of a routine kick yesterday didn't surprise me and very nearly resulted in a cataclysmic turn of events. Didn't much like his play on either of the goals either. A tendency to make himself small instead of jump out and challenge. Thought he was caught flatfooted on both goals. Don't get me wrong, these were excellently taken and finished balls but Kahn or say Ochoa look to make those saves. Neuer just scares me back there. Don't know that he's enough for Germany to win it all.
Don't believe what the English press have to say, especially when the majority of criticism comes from a midget idiot Owen...
the slander campaign started when Real tried to justify his sale for the purchase of Bale, and you see how much Oezil affected the team and fans at Bales unveiling...
They came to voice their displeasure, and quite loudly I might add, as well as how vocal the actual team were at the loss of Oezil.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
Don't believe what the English press have to say, especially when the majority of criticism comes from a midget idiot Owen...
the slander campaign started when Real tried to justify his sale for the purchase of Bale, and you see how much Oezil affected the team and fans at Bales unveiling...
They came to voice their displeasure, and quite loudly I might add, as well as how vocal the actual team were at the loss of Oezil.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Nice match right now. Looks like it'll be a struggle out there and both teams waging informed queries on the opposing D. Russia has had some nice long ball service and towards the end of half getting some chances. The beautiful feed that perfectly hit the seam in the Belgium D was world class and worthy of a finish in the back of the net.

But 0-0 at the half and anybodies game.

Old
06-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
This is the De bruyner I was hoping to see last game.
I thought his service was poor in the first game until he brilliantly set up the goal with a letter perfect feed.

Whats the deal with Hazard? He comes highly touted but tbh haven't seen him do much yet.

I liked Witzels play in first game but not so much here. I've missed any good Lukaku touches on the ball, has looked a little clumsy. Kompany showing me a lot more in this one. Mertens had strong probing rushes on his side.

I'm obviously slow to the party re this Belgium side so any replies appreciated.