HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Henrik cant bounce right back after this loss I think this team could...

Old
03-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Just. Believe.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:40 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Yeah there's no doubt that a consummate professional like Henke, who has a resume that most 25-year olds can only dream about, will be scarred by one freaking bad period.
I think Jas was being sarcastic...

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 09:54 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
I think Jas was being sarcastic...
I hope so.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:00 AM
ThirdEye

Heck, Brodeur was pulled a few games ago in almost the same situation. It happens. I just hope Lundqvist doesn't take it too hard. Don't want to see him playing frustrated next game

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:02 AM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
I'm blaming that bad period on Orr. The thing to avoid after a GREAT first period (which had discipline, good defense, and a shoot-first attitude) was to let Montreal get an early power play, and Orr commits a bad penalty. If it's going to happen, make sure it's on a legitimate scoring chance for Montreal or at least five minutes into the period.

They got that power play and gave up the goal. The crowd was insane. It was downhill from there.

Yes, they rebounded in the third. I still think they'll make the playoffs. But the penalty line does them in OVER and OVER again. Orr, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Betts...ALWAYS committing unnecessary penalties.

Also, look at the goals on Lundqvist. Maybe they did their homework - all of the goals were high near the crossbar. Hopefully other teams don't catch on yet?

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Speaking of TB, how stupid was it of their GM to let go off Khabibulin right after winning the cup? With their current offense and Khabi in the net, they'd be truly fearsome this season.

Us having Henrik in our net vs other teams' goalies is a totally unfair advantage

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
Also, look at the goals on Lundqvist. Maybe they did their homework - all of the goals were high near the crossbar. Hopefully other teams don't catch on yet?
If you manage to put your shots just under the crossbar, I guarantee you there isn't a single goalie in the entire world that will be able to do anything.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:11 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
Speaking of TB, how stupid was it of their GM to let go off Khabibulin right after winning the cup? With their current offense and Khabi in the net, they'd be truly fearsome this season.
I don't think they 'let him go' as much as decided to use their salary cap space in other areas, and decided they could get by with another goalie.

The Lightning's first line (Lecavalier, St. Louis and Richards) takes up an inordinate amount of cap space, and they had to cut back somewhere. I guess they had to decide between Khabibulin and one of the forwards and picked the forwards.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
I'm blaming that bad period on Orr. The thing to avoid after a GREAT first period (which had discipline, good defense, and a shoot-first attitude) was to let Montreal get an early power play, and Orr commits a bad penalty. If it's going to happen, make sure it's on a legitimate scoring chance for Montreal or at least five minutes into the period.

They got that power play and gave up the goal. The crowd was insane. It was downhill from there.

Yes, they rebounded in the third. I still think they'll make the playoffs. But the penalty line does them in OVER and OVER again. Orr, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Betts...ALWAYS committing unnecessary penalties.

I think that penalty cost us the whole game. You know this team is the #1 PP team, so why not be extra careful? That stupid play (although Koivu did help it out) completely changed the momentum of the game. Montreal was playing pretty frustrated in the first period, giving us all sorts of opportunities. It was basically a reverse of roles after that first goal. Not to mention the fans were loud as hell. I bet if it was MSG they probably wouldn't have picked up the way they did. Anyway, we still get to play them once more. Not sure if it's an away game again, but I hope we don't make the same stupid mistakes. It would be nice to have Tyutin back as well

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
miss the playoffs. And before I get into the meat of this post, I dont need another 50 people come marching in here saying:

" OMGZ ITS ONE LOSS!!!111 WAY TO OVERREACT!!!!11!!!1 ".

Dont waste your time being Cap'n Obvious and regurgitating the same redundant drama comments. Weve heard em a million times before. Dont waste the forum space.

Lets face it, this teams offense has been sucking horribly as of late. Six of of the last eight wins for this team have been paltry 2-1 games. Henrik has been bailing this teams ass out long enough, and his back finally broke tonight from all the carrying he has been doing the past few weeks.

The Rangers got an ugly win against the Bruins on Saturday, and I felt that the Isles outplayed them on Sunday too. Tonight they scored 4 goals, but 2 of them were flukey shots from the point that got past a rookie goalie.

The Rangers might be able to pull off a win with 2 goals against the Flyers, but they arent going to get another win with those results against Toronto or the Isles again.

I would change the lines up too. Jagr-Straka-Nylander hasnt worked this season, I dont know why Renney is going back to it.

There are so few games left that Hank must come back this weekend standing on this head or this team could easily miss the playoffs.
Everything in your post was Captain Obvious material.

Are you looking to start a flame war?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal_NYR View Post
Henrik had an off game. Who's to say it will continue. He is tired. He has a great rest for our weekend games and you should expect to see him as good as new.

I wouldn't worry

Every team has off games whether your the best or the worst.
Yes, and that's why Renney pulled him, he figured he could use the rest. Valiquette played fine until he let up the two goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Post nonsense.

Complain about responses being nonsense.

Repeat.
You mean...

Rinse, Lather, Rinse, Repeat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledRangersFan View Post
I'm not trying to flame you, but wouldn't any team be in trouble if their starting goalie fails down the stretch? We'll also be in trouble if Jagr, Prucha, Avery, and Mara all get injured next game. Maybethat should be your next thread. Win or lose, I'm just looking forward to some good hockey after so many years of terrible play.
Great post, that basically sums most of our feelings up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Just. Believe.
Simple, yet so effective.

Thank you.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:25 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

As for that Orr penalty, yeah. That gave Montreal the momentum needed. But did that cost us the game? No. That line in general took too many undisciplined and stupid penalties, and then our defense played like ****. I mean even Girardi didn't backcheck on that 2-on-1. That could have been easily prevented, but he made a rookie mistake, and didn't even attempt to correct it. Jagr took another night off. Straka needs to be put off of that line. Nylander screwed around with the puck WAY TOO MUCH IN THE DEFENSIVE ZONE, which lead to some costly turnovers. Rozsival fumbled around with the puck more times in one game than I've seen most defenders do it in a season. Hank was hung out to dry, and now we lost a chance to make distance. Thank god everyone else lost, because that had the potential to be a disaster.

You want to know why this team lost?

Because once again, they took the foot right off of the damn throttle, COMPLETELY.

Old
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
dave4

Last night's game is as clear a half empty/half full scenario as you can find.

Half empty - The second period WAS similar to the Maple Leaf implosion, except Renney mercifully pulled Hank this time. The Leaf game was preceeded by a couple of wins where the team played like crap but Hank stood on his head (the Dallas game in particular), but then he finally let in a bunch. Same thing last night.

And the team was sent reeling after the Leaf game, it took two weeks to recover. We don't have two weeks. And last night's game showed how much we rely on Hank. Without Hank playing insane hockey the last month we're all talking about missing the playoffs, not making them. Hank has got to bounce back strong from this game.

Oh, and we blew another 2-0 lead. This must be an NHL record.

Half full - The team was bound to lose eventually. The team is good, but not 'win every game' good. Not a bad night to get a loss out of our system, when we get some help on the scoreboard. The team showed resiliency they didn't show in that Toronto loss, coming back and making it a game again. And who knows, with Hank in net maybe it's a 4-4 game. Then again if Hank stays in net the team may not have turned it around in the first place.

They were playing a desparate opponent, who played desparate hockey starting in the second period. And once they got on the scoreboard the crowd was unbelievable, as loud as you'll hear in any arena in the league. The team seemed to feed off the crowd. The Flyers won't be quite as desperate on Saturday, and if we win that game we're looking good again.

You can make the argument that if Orr doesn't take that penalty 200 feet from his own goal the comeback never happens, we find a way to take a 3-0 lead, the crowd turns on the Canadians, and the party is over before it even starts.

Obviously what matters is not what happened last night, a loss was coming sooner or later. The question will be how do they respond from the loss? Do they go into a tailspin we've seen too many times before at the end of seasons, or do they circle the wagons and come back more determined than ever, which is what we've seen the last two months of this season?

The last five games, and the next two games in particular, will decide how important last night's loss was.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

This is the Rangers season:

Everyone run for their lives, we will never see the Rangers get into the playoffs now that they lost last night. OHHH the horror!!!! Waive Henke,trade Shanny and Jagr. We are DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDD...

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 10:57 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman27 View Post
I nominate this thread for worst of the year.

Im going to be Captain Obvious and say it was one game. Did you expect undefeated the rest of the way, jeeze stay off the bandwagon.

I'm going to be Captain Furthur Obvious and say it was ONE PERIOD. Very well said, I was expecting a loss, but not like that I must say. Once they get out of December and back on track we will be fine. Henrik will use this as motivation to get better. But I have a question, what kind of title is that for a thread? Obviously if Henke **** the bed and ran away back to Sweden we'd be ****ed. That said, if brodeur or Lungo suddenly had an uniterest in the game and left, their teams would be ****ed too. What's your point? I second the nomination.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

You want to know why this team lost?

Because once again, they took the foot right off of the damn throttle, COMPLETELY.
There is no way you can press on the gas all the time. Even racers do not do that. So it is not the cause, really. We lost because MTL scored 2 more goals then us. We were not outplayed, as a team, we had a goalie let down plus Betts got hurt. We scored 4 goals ( 2 softies by Halak), they scored 6 (2 softies by Henke, 1 - by Valiquette). Because of pour goaltending on both sides this game will not be considered for Classic status. It should be forgotten, IMO. The sooner, the better.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 12:18 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
There is no way you can press on the gas all the time. Even racers do not do that. So it is not the cause, really. We lost because MTL scored 2 more goals then us. We were not outplayed, as a team, we had a goalie let down plus Betts got hurt. We scored 4 goals ( 2 softies by Halak), they scored 6 (2 softies by Henke, 1 - by Valiquette). Because of pour goaltending on both sides this game will not be considered for Classic status. It should be forgotten, IMO. The sooner, the better.
There's no way you can press on the gas all of the time, you're right.

There's also NO EXCUSE for completely letting off of it, therefore, it is the cause.

We lost because Montreal outplayed us in the 2nd period, because we took our foot completely off of the throttle.

Think what you like, but when you take your foot completely off the throttle like that, you're going to lose games, no matter how much you're up by.

Old
03-28-2007, 12:25 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
This is the differenc, IMO, between this years team and teams of the past (post 1997). This team WILL bounce back. I refuse to believe that the Rangers great play of late was a mere 2 month long fluke. And getting sloppy wins is fine, in fact, even beneficial. Bad teams lose sloppy games, good teams find a way to win them. I've been saying it since we were like 8 points out and everyone was calling for Renney's head talking about how the year was over with that friggin "I knew the season was over when..." post, that this team is good enough to bounce back, and we'll do it again.
Here's how I see it: We got spanked and exposed us, and now everyone needs to come back to earth and realize that we can't just show up to the rink and get the "W" put on the standings which had been the case of late. I think it was a reality check. Not only that, Henke got more than half the game off which is good, and we now have a nice long break to regroup and come back strong against Philly. We control our destiny with 5 games left and are currently 6th, which I'm happy with. This team is good enough to win and will bounce back and make the playoffs.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:03 PM
NYR1724

Lundqvist seems to be capable of coming back from adversity. See his first game after the olympics and that run he has been on since the game in Tampa Bay in December.

I am not worried about Henrik. I am worried about the psyche of the rest of the team though.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:24 PM
John Torturella

The team got their brains smashed in and then they bounced back all in the same game. No worries here. One bad period is no big deal. Just dont read into it too much. They still almost came back even being down 5-2, plus they lsot on a night when everyone else they needed to lose, lost. It was the best possible way to lose because Hank got rest, we lost very little ground in standings and they almost came back

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 07:33 PM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
Avery played with the crappy Kings who lost games like this regularly. However bad last night's second regulation loss in 15 games was, I'm sure he won't let it affect the team itself.

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
" OMGZ ITS ONE LOSS!!!111 WAY TO OVERREACT!!!!11!!!1 ".
Sorry, but you said it. The Rangers will be fine.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
The Rangers offense did well tonight, but I felt that Lundqvist was shaky the entire game. He let in a few bad ones, and its obvious that hes still rattled from the Montreal game.

I hope he shows up tomorrow night 100% ready. If it werent for the Flyers being so bad the Rangers easily couldve lost tonight.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
The Rangers offense did well tonight, but I felt that Lundqvist was shaky the entire game. He let in a few bad ones, and its obvious that hes still rattled from the Montreal game.

I hope he shows up tomorrow night 100% ready. If it werent for the Flyers being so bad the Rangers easily couldve lost tonight.
I'll agree than Lundqvist did not look especially sharp tonight, but what bad goals did he let in? The one where Eager had all night to pound it home? The one that went in off Hollweg? The top shelf laser beam from Coburn in the slot? The deflection off of Gagne's shot?

Not a weak one in the bunch.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2007, 09:08 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Henrik was "ok" tonight. The team in front of him playing.....soft imo

Both Eager goals were flukey. A PP goal ....leaving Gags in the slot unprotected.....

I dont know. Not the performance I'd wish for from the team but sometimes you have to win the ugly ones.

03-31-2007, 09:25 PM
NYROrtsFan

lol @ bad ones... Mind pointing out the bad goal in the bunch?

The Gagne play was a deflection, the Hollweg thing was what it was, and Coburn just had a perfect shot in the corner. Only goal that one could possibly have issue with is that first goal. And even that was just the typical good goal due to the defenseman loafing around.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote